• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for things to do while DS's are on Pirates Cruise.

LIFERBABE

DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV
Suggestions for things to do while DS's (4&6) are on Pirates Cruise.

The June hours are out and I have a scheduling conflict.
Wednesday June 4 is the only day we will be present for Spectro. We are only doing 1 or 2 days in the parks so that is our conflict.

I already had Pirate Cruise PS's sched. for Wed. morning and availability is filled for our week now so cancel is our only option.

We did most of MK last year but the eve. shows were cancelled due to weather so we really wanted to see those this year.
The cruise is for children only and departs from the Grand Flor. at 9:30 a.m. and lasts 2 hours. Is that enough time for DH and I to enter any of the parks and ride anything (im hoping for Test Track at Epcot) or just hang around GF and wait.

We are trying to optimize the best use of our remaining hopper days.

Has anyone else tried the Pirates Cruise?

I have some major rearranging to do now that the special event hours are out.

Thanks
Lifer

I did some resort hopping while DS took the cruise a few years ago. I also had a nice early (and relaxing) lunch.

It's a good thing that I stayed close because the weather turned bad and the kids were kept at the docks at the Wilderness Lodge for a while until the rain slacked off. I was glad to be there since I would have worried otherwise. By the way, DS had a super time because of the delay. :)

How about getting a spa treatment. You could get a one hour massage, and unwind while your children are busy.

I know the feeling about what to do and rearranging the schedule. We will be there that same week. Our options are watch Spectro and the fireworks Saturday night the 31 of May of the 4th of June. I just hate making adjustments. Maybe they'll add some while we are there.

Assuming you were going to the parks that day anyway, I'd recommend MK for shopping. When our 4.5 yr dd went on the cruise, I used the time to shop Main Street. I was able to get all of the gifts for family back home. My 1 yr ds cooperated by taking a long nap. The monorail to MK is only a few minutes. Make sure you give yourself 25 minutes to get back, as the resort monorail back to GF stops at the Contemporary and TTC. Don't be late as I was, nothing worse than being the last kid picked up.
Hope your DS's have a great cruise

Thanks for all the great suggestions,
I would like to get into the parks early so the travel times are much appreciated. We may just walk around the GF as I have heard it's beautiful.

I hope they like the cruise too. I hope my little one doesnt suffer from "separation anxiety" when it's time to launch!

Liferbabe

My 2 boys are doing the pirate cruise the day after you are(Thur). This will be their second time. The first time they were 3 and 6 years old and it was one of their favorite things of that trip. When we started planning this trip I was taking requests and the first thing they said was PLEEEEEASE can we go on the cruise again. Now they are 6 and 9. It is a really fun trip. You meet at the GF dock where each child is given a pirate bandana and a life vest to wear and boarded on a pontoon boat and off they go. The boys said they went to different "islands" looking for clues, One of the CMs was saying that she wanted to keep the treasure for herself so they left her behind on the island but she caught up with them after they found the treasure on a police boat. They all got a gift bag full of treasures(rings, bugs, plastic gold coins) They had a snack in the middle of the hunt. I think the ratio of CMs to children was about 1 to 2/3, and seemed well supervised. I read a hint on another thread saying to send a camera with your child and I think I will try that this time and see what develops.(sorry for the bad pun) I can honestly say I really haven't read any bad reviews . Last time I did do the spa tx and my husband took our oldest over to MGM to do TOT and RNR but this time we aren't quite sure how to spend our time and would love to see what others did with their free time. Have a great vacation.

We did the PC a few years ago. My plan was for DH and I to go over to MK just to ride Alien Encounter. However, when we got there, the line was too long. We just shopped on Main St. It was nice not having the kids with us in all the stores!!:)

My DD 7 loved it but DD 4 did not want to leave me. She wouldn't wear the bandana and came back and said she didn't like it.

You'll love the GF. The cafe there is nice. I'm not sure they'll still be serving breakfast. The grandness and elegance there is felt all over - even in children. My DDs felt like princesses when we stayed there.

Anna

Dh and I rode the monorail over to MK, we strolled Main St. (something our kids never want to do), we shopped, ate chocolate covered strawberries and rode the Tomorrowland transit to see inside SM which was lite up for refurbishing. Probably could have been more commando and ridden a mountain but chose to relax.

Our kids loved the PC, their favorite thing of the week. Afterwards we rode the monorail to the TTC and got to ride up front with the driver... kids in full pirate gear!!:cool:

Ohio Viking I'll trade you! Just kidding, I have decided to keep the cruise and do a half day at MK. It will be a long day for the boys though, with so much activity. We have a 3 p.m. PS at CRT and will decide whether to head back to the villa and return for Spectro or just find a nice spot to take a break.

With all the great info in this thread, Im calculating I will alot 1 hour travel time if we try to do anything in the parks, so that is great. May even have time to get a Fastpass.

I've read nothing but positive reviews about the PC and feel like I hit the CRT lottery by getting the PS as the spaces are more limited. I've read the kids are pretty hyped afterwards with all the adrenaline and sugar so they will probably poop out by 3pm.

It's funny that there is not alot of info on the PC on these boards or have I missed it. It is a great alternative for boys in a Princess crazy "World" (another awful pun):D

Thanks for the tip about sending a camera! I write our name and number on our disposable Kodak's in case we leave our precious memories behind (the camera not the boys). I will be sure to send one with the boys.

Liferbabe

liferbabe, you may find more info on PC over on the resorts board.:D

Liferbabe I would trade with you except we are hitting e-night on Tuesday and I think that would definately be burning the candle at both ends. I would hate for the CMs to have to make my boys walk the plank because of a total nuclear meltdown, I have grown kind of attached to them. Hope your boys have a great time. By the way you may be suprised at how well your little one may do. When our youngest was 3 he had never had a babysitter (I stay at home and our oldest could babysit He is 12 years older) but he was fine because his big brother(6 at the time) was there to take care of him. They do team the kids up on the cruise so they will be together as partners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter