Sunshine Flyer Experiences

We used Sunshine Flyer for our trip in December. We flew in about 8 PM on 12/26 and waited about 10 mins for a bus. The trip to Disney wasn't too bad. The driver was great and it took us about an hour from checking in to arriving at our resort (we were at CBR, with previous stops at AoA and POP). I was able to get this trip on their Black Friday sale, so $25 for two adults was well worth the money.

The return trip on 1/2 was a completely different story. We changed resorts in mid-December, so unfortunately we had to cancel out discounted return tickets and rebook at full price (it was still $16 per adult at that point, so not a huge difference). The real issue came when I got our pickup time a couple days before our departure and the pickup time for a mid-afternoon flight was 4 hours and 20 mins before our domestic departure time. I called and tried to get moved to a later bus as we have pre-check and didn't need to be at the airport 3.5 hours before our flight. After some looking, the "conductor" on the line told me that all the later buses were full and there wasn't any room for us (which I find hard to believe, as I've yet to be on a bus that was more than 25% full). SF blamed this on the SWA meltdown, but since this is the second time we've experienced this with them (we were picked up 3hr 40 min early from our Sept trip), I believe that this is more of a normal practice than an anomaly. Ultimately, we ended up cancelling and booking with Mears who picked us up slightly over 3 hours before as promised on their website.

Bottom line, I want to like Sunshine Flyer, but there are still too many inconsistencies in their service and the new pricing per person is a total dealbreaker for us. I'm not sure what we'll be using for our next trip, but I can for sure say that we will not be using SF for our return to MCO.

We used Sunshine Flyer for our trip in December. We flew in about 8 PM on 12/26 and waited about 10 mins for a bus. The trip to Disney wasn't too bad. The driver was great and it took us about an hour from checking in to arriving at our resort (we were at CBR, with previous stops at AoA and POP). I was able to get this trip on their Black Friday sale, so $25 for two adults was well worth the money.

The return trip on 1/2 was a completely different story. We changed resorts in mid-December, so unfortunately we had to cancel out discounted return tickets and rebook at full price (it was still $16 per adult at that point, so not a huge difference). The real issue came when I got our pickup time a couple days before our departure and the pickup time for a mid-afternoon flight was 4 hours and 20 mins before our domestic departure time. I called and tried to get moved to a later bus as we have pre-check and didn't need to be at the airport 3.5 hours before our flight. After some looking, the "conductor" on the line told me that all the later buses were full and there wasn't any room for us (which I find hard to believe, as I've yet to be on a bus that was more than 25% full). SF blamed this on the SWA meltdown, but since this is the second time we've experienced this with them (we were picked up 3hr 40 min early from our Sept trip), I believe that this is more of a normal practice than an anomaly. Ultimately, we ended up cancelling and booking with Mears who picked us up slightly over 3 hours before as promised on their website.

Bottom line, I want to like Sunshine Flyer, but there are still too many inconsistencies in their service and the new pricing per person is a total dealbreaker for us. I'm not sure what we'll be using for our next trip, but I can for sure say that we will not be using SF for our return to MCO.
It seems return is the worse for the two bus lines. I have heard Mears leave many stranded or screwed. Sunshine is presistent that they do not want to be the cause of a miss flight and when you call before the trip they will adjust if they can but will not gurantee you make the flight. basically "do not blame us... we told you so" take. I am debating calling early as I just suggested this time as I am flying SW and even with precheck.... nervous for the nightmares that may exist leaving MCO. I would uber back but with the need of a car seat and my weird "I hate random people driving my family" bias, I probably will just suck it up and wait. I just hate being there that early with a 2 year old. 4 hours is crazy. 3 hours early is annoying but I can see whey anything close to 2 hours early is not possible for them. I could cancel and take Mears back as you did but I have heard a lot of horror stories and at least Sunshine seems to get people there.

So, just making sure I'm not missing something here. I'm going from MCO to Kidani next week. (Just one-way -- won't need a return trip.) A quick check of the Sunshine Flyer site shows that it is $19.50 per person for the one-way service -- so the two of us would be $39. Just checked Lyft for that day and I can reserve the same trip direct from MCO to Kidani in less time in a private vehicle for $38 total. So, basically, the same price.

Any reason to NOT choose Lyft for that instead of a bus? Is this the norm or is Lyft cheaper than usual lately or something?

So, just making sure I'm not missing something here. I'm going from MCO to Kidani next week. (Just one-way -- won't need a return trip.) A quick check of the Sunshine Flyer site shows that it is $19.50 per person for the one-way service -- so the two of us would be $39. Just checked Lyft for that day and I can reserve the same trip direct from MCO to Kidani in less time in a private vehicle for $38 total. So, basically, the same price.

Any reason to NOT choose Lyft for that instead of a bus? Is this the norm or is Lyft cheaper than usual lately or something?
Well LYFT is Lyft with the pros of it being a private driver and the cons of it being a random person in their personal car. Also the major con is usually car seats for a family. Lyft rates looked affordable last week down there but personally liked the space of the bus and comfortable ride. I think the experience maybe costed me 15-20 mins extra. I went to Jambo house and we were the first stop.

Well, I use Lyft and Uber regularly, so I'm really not worried about the "random person in their own car" aspect.
Interesting that you were first stop at Jambo though. If Kidani was like the 2nd stop, then maybe the bus would be nice... I've just had some experiences on the DME years ago where we were like the last stop. So, it makes the bus ride about twice as long as a direct drive...

Thanks for your info! Now I have to think about it some more. :)

Well, I use Lyft and Uber regularly, so I'm really not worried about the "random person in their own car" aspect.
Interesting that you were first stop at Jambo though. If Kidani was like the 2nd stop, then maybe the bus would be nice... I've just had some experiences on the DME years ago where we were like the last stop. So, it makes the bus ride about twice as long as a direct drive...

Understand, I just do not like trusting my family to random people driving. At least with the bus we are less likely to have a serious accident. Other professional driving services I have used were also great but more costly. Just personal preference for me. The space on the bus for my two year old after a flight was nice.

To each their own, I guess. We've had a couple of negative experiences with other passengers on busses before -- so I think I tend to lean toward private drives with one random stranger over busses filled with random strangers. :) Of course, going from MCO to Disney probably has a better-than-average crowd. But not always. ;)

I think the order they drop people off is random. We used Sunshine Flyer to get to Jambo House in December and we were the last stop.

I'm also comfortable with Lyft/Uber and see no reason to use Sunshine Flyer if it's similar in price.

There's no guarantee that Lyft will be the same price the day and time you land. Only thing I can think of.

There's no guarantee that Lyft will be the same price the day and time you land. Only thing I can think of.

Actually, I can pre-book it right now to lock it in. I likely won't, but I could. :)

I did check a few days around the same time and it was the same -- including today -- so I think it will be similar, at least.

Actually, I can pre-book it right now to lock it in. I likely won't, but I could. :)

I did check a few days around the same time and it was the same -- including today -- so I think it will be similar, at least.

Didn't know that was a thing! Then I honestly can't see any other any issues with it.

Hi. It’s been a little while since we booked Sunshine Flyer. We had a good experience with them, so we plan on using them again. For the arrival time, we put the time we are landing, right? For the departure time, we put the time our plane takes off, right? Thank you!

Hi. It’s been a little while since we booked Sunshine Flyer. We had a good experience with them, so we plan on using them again. For the arrival time, we put the time we are landing, right? For the departure time, we put the time our plane takes off, right? Thank you!

Yes thats right!

1000% use the lyft...same price and direct to the hotel in 30 minutes is a no brainer. Heck people have complained recently that they had to wait 30 minutes just to get on a bus.

Didn't know that was a thing! Then I honestly can't see any other any issues with it.
As long as the driver doesn't cancel. Then you *could* be stuck with surge pricing. Happened to me on my way home from a trip to DL. Reserved a Lyft for $24 back home (Boston), a few minutes before I was supposed to be picked up, the driver cancelled. Had to rebook and both Uber and Lyft were $68. Was not happy. I contacted Lyft and they didn't seem to care, they said it was the drivers decision.... A taxi would have been less but I would have had to go to another area to get a taxi and I was too tired at that point.

Just got email from sunshine flyer (new bookings only)
Spring travel shopping starts now.

All tickets are now $12.00 dollars, saving a family of four 24%.

Now through May 31st!​

Just got email from sunshine flyer (new bookings only)
Spring travel shopping starts now.

All tickets are now $12.00 dollars, saving a family of four 24%.

Now through May 31st!​

I am going in 2.5 weeks on a solo trip. I had not booked the transportation (was considering UBER), but I cannot pass up this price. Guess I will give them a second chance.

mail

Will be interesting to see if Mears matches it.

I would think they will lose a TON of riders when word about this deal gets out.

I paid $12 on Black Friday so this is the same deal.
It was too good for me to pass up and even booked our MCO-Disney for October.
However, I only booked MCO-Disney. I will not book them roundtrip with the stories I still read.

I can see the appeal of Uber and Lyft, but with surge pricing there’s just too much unknown, especially if your flight is late.

We used Sunshine Flyer in July and have just booked again for March. Pretty much identical service to DME and I felt safe and comfortable throughout. I don’t always feel that way in an Uber.

That said, as someone else mentioned, they are definitely committed to getting you to MCO early to avoid them being on the hook for people missing flights. We had a return pick up at OKW at 11am and the bus pulled up at 10:50am. Thank god we were there early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter