Surf Lessons

Princess and Queen

Mouseketeer
I'd love to book some private surf lessons for my kids aged 10 and 13. If I book through Aulani, they can't be together. Any suggestions for a group that does lessons close to Aulani? I did like that Aulani had a shuttle available.

I did a private SUP lesson with Waikiki Beach Services at the Royal Hawaiian the last time I was on Oahu and loved it! They also do surfing lessons. If you plan to spend a day in Waikiki, it may be worth it. There’s also the Ty Gurney Surf School by the Imperial Hawaii Resort, but I’ve never used them. If you haven’t already, try TripAdvisor to see what surf schools there are.

As much as I hate to say go to Waikiki, my kids took lessons there with Hawaiian Oceans and really enjoyed it too. Plus they had a guy with a massive lens taking pics for sale. Told him upfront I was definitely buying so take all he could, and he did!

The North Shore is so close to Aulani and not as over-priced as those surf schools near Aulani or downtown. My husband and tweens (13, 11) had a a private lesson for the three of them with North Shore Girls. Fun, professional and all were able to stand up. Positive experience. Lots to do on the North Shore, so it also makes a perfect day away from “resort life”.

We have used Let’s Surf HI on 2 different trips and have loved them! They use Eisenhower Beach, which is beautiful beach not too far from Aulani and is secluded. We liked them so much we used them again and have sent friends to them.

My kids had surf lessons in North Shore at Uncle Bryan’s Surf school. The instructors were really great with them. My youngest didn’t even know how to swim well at the time and they took really good care of her.

Surfing is very difficult to do on your own, it is all about location and timing, but instructors make it easy. This is not a thing you will get to to often, Oahu has long slow waves and a great place to learn. Give it a try. Budget for the pictures. Do a group lesson if possible, cheaper and you get a little rest time between waves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter