• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SW Splendor 10/10-10/17/09

pamjb

DIS Veteran
DH and I are doing the Adults Only SW Splendor trip in October to celebrate our 22nd Anniversary. I was putting my packing list together, but I have no idea what kind of clothing to pack. Most of the trip reports that I read are for the summer, so I don't know that I would need the moisture wicking shirts that people mentioned for June trips.

I am hoping to keep the checked bagged to a minimum, since we are flying Delta from PHL to PHX. I am sooooo used to Southwest and the no bag fees, but sadly, the flight times didn't work with our schedule :sad2:

Also, DH uses a CPAP and needs distilled water. I could attempt to pack the amount that he needs in the checked bag (after I seal it well and double bag to prevent leaks), but I want to avoid that if possible. Any insight on where I can get my hands on some distilled water before we go to bed that first night? We are flying into PHX the morning of the trip, so we are limited on the resources, I guess.

DH and I are doing the Adults Only SW Splendor trip in October to celebrate our 22nd Anniversary. I was putting my packing list together, but I have no idea what kind of clothing to pack. Most of the trip reports that I read are for the summer, so I don't know that I would need the moisture wicking shirts that people mentioned for June trips.

I am hoping to keep the checked bagged to a minimum, since we are flying Delta from PHL to PHX. I am sooooo used to Southwest and the no bag fees, but sadly, the flight times didn't work with our schedule :sad2:

Also, DH uses a CPAP and needs distilled water. I could attempt to pack the amount that he needs in the checked bag (after I seal it well and double bag to prevent leaks), but I want to avoid that if possible. Any insight on where I can get my hands on some distilled water before we go to bed that first night? We are flying into PHX the morning of the trip, so we are limited on the resources, I guess.
I went in May. It was not really hot any of the days, and I wore a light jacket while on the Delicate Arch hike (mostly due to the wind). It *snowed* at the Grand Canyon in May, but that's unusual. Don't know about October... The wind there was cold, so a jacket was called for then, also. It really was a mixed bag of shorts & T-shirts, sweats & light jackets, etc.

As for the distilled water, I'd call ABD and see if there is any way the guides could pick some up for you, or arrange for the bus to stop either in Phoenix or Sedona so you could pick some up. If worst came to worst, the Amara is right in town, so you also might be able to hike to a store once you get there...

Enjoy, enjoy! It's a fabulous trip!
Sayhello

I would definitely talk to ABD and enlist their help. They were very helpful in making sure one guest on our trip had various items that she needed, and the guides were always pointing out spots to get personal items. Yours might be a bit trickier than some, but I bet they can help out.

As for clothes, it was hot when we were there, but I think some of the things still hold true -- bring a hat for the sun, and a small bag for the hike. Maybe a disposable camera for the raft (although you can use a real one in the calm periods then put it in the water proof bag).

One thought I had several times on the trip but never mentioned is that I wish Disney gave out lanyards that hold water bottles, like they sell on the cruises. I was often carrying a bottle in my hand when it would have been easier not to.

Have a great time!

I have a couple of water bottle straps, maybe I will pack two. I usually carry an Overland Donner bag in Disney.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1302T_Overland-Equipment-Donner-Bag.html

It has outside pockets that will hold 2 water bottles. I WILL have DH carry his own bottle though.
I have checked the average weather and it looks like it should be in the 60º's during the day, down to the 30º's in the evening. Probably should pack a fleece jacket.

I have a couple of water bottle straps, maybe I will pack two. I usually carry an Overland Donner bag in Disney.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1302T_Overland-Equipment-Donner-Bag.html

It has outside pockets that will hold 2 water bottles. I WILL have DH carry his own bottle though.
I have checked the average weather and it looks like it should be in the 60º's during the day, down to the 30º's in the evening. Probably should pack a fleece jacket.
I took my water bottle strap with me, and really was glad I did. It made carrying the water so much easier!

I'd say a fleece jacket is a definite!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter