Taking Family... HELP!

off to neverland

DIS Veteran
This is long, guys, sorry!

Normally my entire family (my parents, brothers, sister in law, etc) gets together for Easter, but we've decided to delay our easter reunion this year and have them join my husband, 2 kids and I on our first trip as Disney Vacation Club members in May.

My parents are in their 50's. I have one brother, age 28 who is married and another brother, 26 who is single. My cousin is 26 and always comes to the family gatherings too. He and my single brother are the best of friends.

I've been so excited for this trip and have booked us all at Beach Club so my two kids (ages 5 and 2) will have Stormalong Bay, and we'll all be close to MGM and Epcot. My dad is providing all the plane tickets and is taking us all to Hoop De Doo, so what my brothers have to pay for is their park tickets and food.

I just talked to my youngest single brother and he informed me that he and my cousin will not be coming this year. This is the first "Easter reunion" in 11 years that they will be missing. He said it was because of the money, but I think it's because he and my cousin think Disney is too childish for them. Cousin has never been and brother was 5 years old when he went.

I've tried to explain to them that there is a "grown up" side of Disney, with Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, MGM, etc., but I'm not sure they believe me. And I'm also wondering if they think I'm outgrowing them, married now with two kids and wanting to vacation at Disneyworld!

I'm sure that if I insist they come, they would, and believe me, I'm not opposed to doing this! But if I do, I want to make sure they have the time of their lives and have fun that is age appropriate for them.

So what to do? I'm considering moving their studio to Boardwalk Villas and keeping the rest of the family at Beach Club. That way my kids will have stormalong bay, we'll all be near each other, but they'll have more "grown up surroundings" and have a little distance from my screaming kids and the married ones!

But now I'm even second guessing them enjoying Pleasure Island.... is there a lot of single people there, or is it mostly married couples getting away for the evening?

If they come, should I send them off to the dreaded Universal Studios? I've read about US and it seems a bit more hardcore than MGM, but what do I know, I've never been there!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly apprciated. This is our first trip "home" and I want it to be special for everyone. And now that the first words of breaking our annual spring reunion have been said, I'm realizing that these days of getting together as a family every year may be ending soon, so if I drag them all the way to Florida, I want this to be one of the best memories ever.

Help! Please!

Rule 1: When it comes to family and Disney do not force anything. You could end up ruining the vacation for the rest of the family by trying too hard to accomidate one or two people.

Several years ago we had the same problem with my sister. She figured that there was nothing in WDW to interest her and her husband. She gave up a (virtually) all-expenses-paid trip to stay home and prove a point.

Anyway, three years later the same group made the same trip. My sister decided to come this time. We were shocked since this time everyone had to pay their own way. My mother paid for the first trip. Long story short... she had a great time and has been back twice since -- spending a total of 5 weeks in WDW.

Let your family discover WDW on their own terms.

Yes, do not force anyone to come.

Also, do not over-analyze and move part of your family to BWV. It's not a more "grown up" atmosphere, just a different theme, and it's not worth breaking up the group. (It's also a 5-minute stroll from BCV.)

Yes there's plenty for singles to do on Pleasure Island and also in the four parks. You've made a wonderful offer. If they can't get into it this time, well maybe something else will come up for them to enjoy in the future.

I wouldn't "push" WDW on anyone (as others stated) but it can't hurt to inform them of what it has to offer for singles. I am single and own a DVC contract and love the nightlife at WDW. I have as much fun (sometimes more) after the parks close going to all the clubs and so forth. Plus you don't have to think about driving after a few drinks as everything is within walking distance or transportation is provided. WDW has a great nightlife for singles, couples (married and not) with PI (Mannequins and BET are great clubs for singles), the BW has a couple of good clubs which are fun and don't forget the HOB (some great shows) at the WS of DTD too.

Universal's CW is also a great place for singles and people looking for an exciting nightlife. If they should opt to go that route, I would suggest staying at the HRH as it is a great location, always buzzing with energy with an upbeat atmosphere. The staff is encouraged to be as free spirited and wild in appearance and actions as they choose. The memorabilia alone (if you are into music as I am) is worth the price and its location the US parks and CW is ideal and just ashort walk away.

There are also books and websites on-line dedicated to the singles and nightlife of WDW and Orlando. I'd encourage them to check into them so they can make an informed decisions as to what is available and to see if the can afford it or not as the club scene can be quite expensive if done nightly or to excess.

Thanks for the advice. I may have to let this one go. I just wish my youngest brother would read about it a bit before he decides he wouldn't like it!

Perhaps it is indeed the money. Or a combination of money and lack of desire.

Disney IS expensive. And he may be able to afford it. But affording it may mean putting off buying the new car he really wants another three months. Or using up vacation time he was hoping to spend in Cancun.

If you really think its a fear he won't enjoy it, ask him straight out "would you go if we were going somewhere else?"

I agree with everyone...don't force anyone to go, but it's not always about money, sometimes it's about being around children, or other memories that sometimes too difficult to deal with at this time. You did the right thing, you invited...it is up to them to meet you half way. If they can't do this trip, perhaps you can plan something with just them (small scale).

Have a great time!!!

After that, it's up to them if they want to come. DOn't force the issue, because if it doesn't work out, it'll be on your head.

Also, think of the money you'll save by not having everyone show up.

My rule, in general, is for any invite, 30-50% accept. (Make sure you give everyone a firm cut off date to accept, in writting, for you're own sanity!)

They'll probably hear what a great time they missed, and will want to go on the next trip, so be prepared for an add-on-itis :)

GOldi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter