• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk to me about Haunted Mansion....

Both of my kids have ridden this at every age, at least annually, from 15mos on up! I vividly remember my three year-old daughter trying to comfort a crying 8yo in the stretch room... All this to say that there is great variability in reactions!

I think showing her the ride video is an excellent idea if her real concern is just not knowing what to expect.

The only thing I'd advise against is lying -- not that you were considering that!! Every trip I hear it at least once... a mother telling her son not to worry because Dinosaur is "not in the dark"... a father telling his young daughter that when Everest goes backwards it's not big deal, because it's "just like going backwards in the Frozen ride"... :(

So, my DD (who is 7) has been reluctant to try HM the last 2 times we were at Disney b/c she thought it would be too scary. I've never done the ride myself, but I've always thought it was more "campy" than actually scary? Anyone have an opinion? I know each kid is different but curious to see what experiences others have had.

5yo and 2yo daughters rode 2x last week and loved it. They were most interested in the Ghost Host saying that a "Ghost would follow us home" and kept bringing it up, but were never really scared.

My daughter is 16. It is not her favorite ride. She will ride it with me. Every Time we ride it, we get stopped 5-10 minutes inside. Usually in the attic with the portraits.

My DD just turned 10 and had always been intimidated by Haunted Mansion but we are going for Halloween this year and she wants a FP for everyday and cant to ride it now...kids!! I agree with the glow stick idea. Since it is one of the rest of the families favorite rides she has always rode with us but would always have a small flashlight or glow stick with her. A few years ago the CM saw it and told us she had to conceal it because lights are not allowed, but just having her light under her shirt made her happy :)

My 4 and 5-year-olds love it. The only part that sometimes scares them for a second is when the lights go out before you get on the actual ride.

Definitely more scary than campy. But I will say that this ride pauses/stops (experiences temporary delays) a lot, and even as an adult I sometimes find it disturbing and kind of scary to be stuck in one place for a long time on that ride.

Glad someone suggested Watching the ride video with your kiddo - that was my advice as well. We last went when DD7 was 4 years old so didn't even consider going on it, but will this time. But it's a very individual decision based on the kid, not the age. I think watching the videos not only helps them know what to expect but when they're really on the ride it will seem familiar to them, you know? Have fun!

She's usually ok with the dark .... she rode Tower of Terror last time. I think she's hesitant about HM b/c she doesn't know what to expect. The loud noises might bother her, but maybe if I gave her the heads up to expect it, she'd be okay. Thanks!
She rode TOT? I think she will be fine with HM. My son was terrified on TOT and has been going on HM since he was 2.

I don't know why everyone feels they need to overshare the ride before the kids go on it. We just took our kids on it and all of them were fine. I honestly think the best approach is to just tell them it will be fun and let them experience it. My son never would have gotten on aerosmith if I told him it launched immediately and did loops. Same thing with TOT. If they might be afraid of haunted mansion, they will be with their parents and can close their eyes if needed, but getting them all worked up before going on is going to ensure they won't go on many rides.

My son was never scared of HM which is funny because he was terrified (in tears) of the Nemo show at AK and the Pooh ride at MK. So every kid is different and even every ride/show is different for different kids.

The scariest part of HM is most probably the intro "stretching" room. I remember threads where people were discussing that you might be able to ask a CM to skip the stretching room and go straight to the ride, but I've never tried that and am not sure it's possible.

I don't know why everyone feels they need to overshare the ride before the kids go on it. We just took our kids on it and all of them were fine. I honestly think the best approach is to just tell them it will be fun and let them experience it. My son never would have gotten on aerosmith if I told him it launched immediately and did loops. Same thing with TOT. If they might be afraid of haunted mansion, they will be with their parents and can close their eyes if needed, but getting them all worked up before going on is going to ensure they won't go on many rides.
Eh, you've gotta know your own kid. For example, the first time we took our oldest to Disney, she was two -- just under the age to need a ticket -- and we figured out in a hurry that she was terrified of rides in the dark. We had no way to "overshare" details with her; it was what happened when we arrived in the parks. We figured out in a hurry that it was no fun for us to take her into the dark, and it was unfair to ruin other people's experiences.

Definitely more scary than campy. But I will say that this ride pauses/stops (experiences temporary delays) a lot, and even as an adult I sometimes find it disturbing and kind of scary to be stuck in one place for a long time on that ride.

The slowdowns and temporary stops are to allow those in wheelchairs and ecvs to get into the ride. Knowing that a stop like that is to help people experience the ride can be a game changer for those who are nervous about it.

I don't know why everyone feels they need to overshare the ride before the kids go on it. We just took our kids on it and all of them were fine.

I'm so glad that worked for you. I'm so glad you have kids for whom that worked.

Many of us have different kinds of kids. For whom that didn't work.

Take the time to feel glad for your family, and please don't take the time to think we're doing something wrong or stupid. We have different kids than you do.

Eh, you've gotta know your own kid. For example, the first time we took our oldest to Disney, she was two -- just under the age to need a ticket -- and we figured out in a hurry that she was terrified of rides in the dark. We had no way to "overshare" details with her; it was what happened when we arrived in the parks. We figured out in a hurry that it was no fun for us to take her into the dark, and it was unfair to ruin other people's experiences.

Yes, obviously your daughter didn't like the dark. But she tried it and didn't like it. Half of kids aren't going to try something if they know ahead of time as they will convince themselves they are scared.

I honestly think the best approach is to just tell them it will be fun and let them experience it.

I remember when I was young, I would use the time waiting in line to ask about the ride(s). Was it really haunted, will it be dark, are there drops? How do you deal with these questions if they come up?

Half of kids aren't going to try something if they know ahead of time as they will convince themselves they are scared.

What is wrong with not wanting to go on a ride?

My son rode it at 3 and 5 and loved it. We took him last year at 8 and he was so terrified he begged to get off the ride.

Well it is my most favorite ride. I don't find it scary. It can be loud and I will say that the stretching room does sort of creep me out. But my niece on the other hand. Oh my gosh. She freaked out when she was 8, she freaked out when she was 13 and she freaked out when she was 14. Full blown hysterics. Head buried in my side the whole time. Each time I asked her if she felt up to it and she said she did, hit the stretching room and she proceeds to freak out. While on the ride, hear buried in side the whole time. The third time was during MNSSHP and I tried my best to convince her not to ride it again. She was getting sick as we were in the line. I told her and her mother to just go and find a place to sit outside and I woud meet up with them afterward. She said she would be fine.....30 minutes later...full blown panic again.

I honestly don't know why it affects her the way it does. She knows that it isn't real but she just doesn't like it for some reason. She can't even tell me why she gets so scared. But i have already told her that on our next trip she does not have to ride it and I would prefer her not because I hate it when she gets scared like that.

I've really never liked it myself. As an older kid I found it creepy. We always avoid it but that's mostly because we always prioritize other attractions

My son rode it at 3 and 5 and loved it. We took him last year at 8 and he was so terrified he begged to get off the ride.

My son is like that with TOT now. 6 he rode it fine, now he is afraid of thunder and lightning and wont go near it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter