Team 'Ohana 2009: No One Left Behind

:lmao: I love Ed Grimley as well! "We're as doomed as doomed can be, ya know." I was a faithful fan of the animated series as well as the live Martin Short version, I must say!

I don't know if I'm doing the race or not - nice of you to think of attending, though! I'm sure you'll have an even better time at WDW than you would in Groton, though! :)

:flower3: I am Christa! Live in Charlotte, NC where the weather is almost always nice for running!:rolleyes: I have 2 beautiful children DDalmost 11 and DD8. I am also married to the most wonderful man alive. I tell everyone I am 25:rotfl2: but I am really 36. I am a Counselor. I work with teenagers and children (and their parents). This is a very rewarding and challenging job. And this is why I run!:angel:

My race blog is: http://goofy4running.blogspot.com/

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: I have always "workedout". However, I began running on Labor Day of 2002. I foolishly went out to do 3 miles. I almost DIED! After 1 mile.:sad2: However, I continued. Ran my 1st 5k in Oct 2002 in 33 minutes. It was the RFTC 5k. Was very proud of myself. Then I did an 8k in Nov. 1/2 mary in April 2003 then signed up and started training for my 1st marathon....WDW 2004 was the 1st time I ran 26.2 and I was hooked. I have now completed 8 marathons and will run #9 on Feb. 14th. Have also accomplished a MS Century Ride and 2 Tris.
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? Even though I did not meet my sub 4 goal at the Thunder Road mary, I am still proud of my time....4:05. It is a PR. My parents, children, DH, and several friends came to support. I am also proud that I have continued my healthy lifestyle. It makes me a better person.
What are your WISH goals for 2009? I want to go sub 4 mary....hopefully on 2/14/09....this is also when DD10 turns 11.princess:
Planned events for 2009/2010?
Myrtle Beach Mary - 2/14
Corprate Cup 1/2 mary - 3/7
a few tris I hope and 5ks...not sure...Maybe a HIM in November.

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? I sing and dance. I am involved in a production company called Dat Dog INC. We perform shows to children weekly....I am Dat Dog....My stage name is Spot..
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. BFH.....Big Freak'n Hill :scared:
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be….
There are many.
The 1st would have to be....Amazing Grace. This is b/c the wonderful grace my Lord has bestowed upon me. He died and saved my soul from hell. But not only that, he shows me who I am. Not b/c of anything I could do, but b/c of who He is and what He has done.
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. This is really not interesting, but just remeber when you read my posts....I cannot spell.:upsidedow

It's great to learn so much about my cousins! :thumbsup2

Real-Life Name: Debra
Family/Household: Me, DOOD, and two cats (Ichabod and Caliban)
Day Job: American Lit/Film Professor (but currently unemployed :sad2:)

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: I'm a natural klutz, not a natural athlete. I started taking better care of myself after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and that change included regularly working out. Still, I treated exercise as good for me but not particularly enjoyable, like broccoli. Or so I thought. But DOOD's casual dalliance with running turned into a lifelong affair, and I got bored being on the sidelines. When he decided to run Goofy 2008 to celebrate his 40th birthday, I'd decided to go Goofy too. It was my first event. Now I run, if not particularly fast, and we both lead a primarily pedestrian/biking lifestyle. The more I do, the better I feel, and the more activities I want to try.
What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? 2008 was not only the year of the Goofy but the year I proved to myself I wasn't a one-event pony. I completed another 1/2, several local 5Ks, TOT13K, and in January my second marathon. Professionally my life's a bit of a hash, so I'm particularly proud that I've stuck with running as a way of keeping me sane.
What are your WISH goals for 2009? My general goals are to continue running and to become stronger and healthier, especially in terms of my core strength. I'd like to take 5 minutes off my 1/2 time and ???? off my full; lose 15 pounds; eat healthier and with less sugar in my diet, and to adopt one new activity as part of my regular XT.
Planned events for 2009/2010? (Event, place, date, distance)
Race for the Cure (Pgh's is May 10, although I may travel to another)
Gatorade/Steelers 5K, September 7
Dopey 2010
I'll do others, but the schedule is up in the air. I'm considering a Philly race. And I'd love to do RftT this year.

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? I read (almost anything) and write; bike and hike; bake, and crossword puzzles. I also drink (okay, it's not exactly a hobby, but I really like it...). I'm a big, big, BIG movie fan!
Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. (With apologies to James Lipton.) Frak, frak, frak! Maria stole mine! Long live Battlestar Galactica. I also like sheeeettt (from The Wire). I'll use flipping a lot too, as an adjective. And not that it's important, but a lot of British phrases slip by the DIS censors.... :rolleyes1
In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be…. Okay, I found this one is particularly hard to answer or to limit myself to just one song. Who came up with these questions anyway? :rolleyes: Okay, I'm tempted to say "Little Green Bag" by George Baker Selection, but I'll go with Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World." My iPod contains several versions of both "Over the Rainbow" and "The Rainbow Connection."
Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. DOOD suggested this one and we actually co-wrote it, so that he could fill in the blanks of my faulty memory. Yes, I blanked out a lot of details! ...

As a vegetarian, I had some anxiety about meeting DOOD's maternal family for the first time. They are beef farmers. Their meat is red-blooded and therefore all-American; their milk is always whole; and their livelihood is threatened by vegetarians, or so they believe. I managed to avoid outing myself as a vegetarian...until Sunday morning. DOOD's grandfather made his famous farewell breakfast: pancakes and link upon link of sausage. Then DOOD's grandfather remembered he had something special in the pantry. He came back with a Mason jar of something gray. With pride, he asked, "Who would like some of my puddin' meat?"

DOOD's mother groaned and rolled her eyes. Someone said, it could have been me, "What's puddin' meat?"

DOOD's grandfather answered, "Trimmings. It'll cure what ails you."

DOOD's mother explained that trimmings are the leftover bits from the butchering process. As a child, she had vowed never to eat puddin' meat when she grew up. It was a sentiment shared by the whole family. Everyone else, obviously unconcerned with his feelings, refused to sample the puddin' meat. That left me. Me, who had carefully avoided eating meat for an entire weekend without people noticing. DOOD's grandfather looked at me expectantly, and I heard myself say, "Sure, I'll try it."

DOOD's grandfather dished a hearty helping on my plate. I gazed at it and wondered just how invested I was in my relationship with DOOD. Then I ate it the entire gelatinous mass.

I still don't remember what puddin' meat tastes like. And I'm not sure that the experience was worth seeing the mixture of horror and amusement on the DOOD and his family's faces. It definitely wasn't worth keeping my vegetarianism a secret until my 2nd visit (where it all came out and was the subject of much commentary). But it was worth earning the affection of DOOD's grandfather.

I'll come back tomorrow and check in more fully. And I'll update our race calendar--how exciting for everyone!--but wanted to let you point everyone's attention to the Last-Minute Travel $1 hotel, room sale. Monday-Friday through 2/6, LMT is offering a sale on hotel rooms. $1/night plus applicable taxes. The only catch is that the window for booking is 15 minutes a day (sometimes in two 7 1/2 minute windows or in three 5 minute windows).

WISHer Kristi has posted a thread on her success. She scored a POR room for 5 nights for marathon weekend. There's a Budget Board thread on it, too, which she posted.

I'm repeating this info in case you haven't seen her post. I'll be attempting to score a room for marathon weekend next week. I missed Friday's opportunity, but did my research and learned some things that might help. Send me a PM if you're interested in the summary of the thread or whatever else I might know.

Hooray! I'm on O'hana! Looking forward to getting to know all my cousins...

Real-Life Name: Jackie
Family/Household: Me, DH (47), DD (18), 2 dogs (both 3 months)
Day Job: Office manager for a garage door company

Describe your running/walking/biking/swimming/XT background: Ran during college PE class and for a few months after that, then not at all until I read about the inaugural Minnie in 2006 and decided I wanted to run the 5K. Seemed like a good excuse for a trip to WDW. Found the WISH team and was jealous in 2007 when everyone was gone in January for marathon weekend, so I decided the next year I'd be there with them! Ran the half in 2008 and another local half in November, with lots of 5K's and 8K's thrown in throughout 2007 and 2008.

What accomplishments are you most proud of in 2008? (WISH related or otherwise) Training for and finishing the Full marathon in January '09. Finishing the City of Oaks Half in Raleigh after being injured for 3 months and not being able to train - would not have made it back without Jeanne to help me get back on track!

What are your WISH goals for 2009? Keeping up with XT all year, making it through the year injury-free, running a sub 2:45 half, sub 34:00 5K.

Planned events for 2009/2010? (Event, place, date, distance) Still working on this one... St Patty's Run Green 8K 3/8-Raleigh, Run for the Oaks 5K 3/14-Raleigh, Crystal Coast Half Marathon 2/28 (very tentative)-NC Coast, RFTC 6/13-Raleigh, Baltimore?, Richmond?, OBX? 2010 Disney races on hold pending scholarship funds for DD!

What do you do for fun (besides DIS)? Read, read, read, Facebook, sing in the church choir, may take up handbell choir when DD goes to college this year, REALLY want to get back to camping once DD leaves and soccer stops ruling our lives!

Favorite DIS-friendly curse word. (With apologies to James Lipton.) Don't actually use it on the DIS, but learned "fudgesicle" from my sister years ago and will use either it or "frickin'" on a regular basis.

In the soundtrack of your life, your theme song would be…. Okay, this one's just too tough for now!

Interesting fact or anecdote about yourself. Blackmail-able stories are welcomed![/QUOTE] DH and I went to the same high school, but he really didn't know who I was. I had a horrible crush on him though, so years later, when I was in college, a mutual friend of ours gave him my phone number. He called me one night, we agreed to get together and go out, and the rest is history!

Jackie

Hey Debra!! :wave2:

Just a Warrior stopping by to say "hey, wassup?"
Looks like you all are working at it....

Can't wait to get started!!

Tracy

Debra: have you heard the version of Rainbow Connection by a group called Me Too and the Gimme Gimmies? It is sort of ska sounding, really fun to listen to (and on my running mix)

Hey all! I am a visiting cousin that wanted to stop by and say Hi! You guys have a great team and a couple of very good friends of mine. Debra, Jeanne and Corrina have all been very uplifting, motivating and encouraging to me and I can't thank them enough. They actually help make me believe I could do something when I thought I had bitten off more than I could handle. Just thought I would stop by and share that.

You all have an awesome team! Let's all have a GREAT year!!
Bryan:cheer2:

Quick pop in as having issues in life for Linda.

We had a private party on Sun after marathon. While Linda was off to side and talking to other customers, the server recklessly knocked chair on to Linda's foot. It has been messed up since. She made it through 42.4 miles for someone to hurt her so she couldn't walk or do anything for last 3 weeks withour pain(this includes last week of WDW trip).

Update from Emerg Care on Linda's foot:

Good News: Linda's foot not broken. Said she could be like this unable to walk normally to for 4 to 12 weeks.

Bad News: Dr. doesn't know why her toes won't bend. He told us we have to go to Primary Care Doctor and get referral to a Neurologist. They will need to test to see if there is nerve damage. Dr suggested Primary Care needs to refer to get Physical Therapy on Foot. He gave Linda prescription for the pain that cause her not to sleep.

We paid $20 today for co pay. When will this be paid back? Next doctor visit another $20 this week. Neurologist another $20. Testing is subject to our $500 deductible. This doesn't even include the 20% of the tests cost plus 20% of Physical Therapy. As you can see with the next week to 10 days, we will be out over $600 and within a few weeks over $1000.

Big River and Gordon Biersch are playing lets get the "facts" before they do anything. Fact: Linda standing talking to customers and server knocks chair over on to her knee and foot.

This sounds like "legal ease" that we don't think it was our fault.

Looks like we are going to get screwed

We won't be back ever to Big River Brewery or any Gordan Biersch restaurant ever again. I have started an email campaign to VP.

This means no walking for her!

I have been able to recover from my knee and stress from Dopey #2(Goofy #4)

Still working on getting over my cold, but that's pretty minor compared to what Linda is going through! :grouphug: Robert -- I am so sorry this happened, and also the way it is being handled. I hope that everything works out for the best, and Linda heals asap! pixiedust:

Bryan, Erica, Ally and Tracy -- :welcome: to our visitors! We do have some awesome WISHers here, drop in anytime!

Marcy and Jackie -- Welcome to the Family! You know how every family has that one crazy uncle? Well...we have that one sane uncle (is it Richard, Denny or Robert? Maybe it's actually Windwalker Dave!), the rest of us are a bit wacky, but a ton of fun! ;)

Debra -- You deserve an award for eating that "puddin meat". I eat meat o'plenty, and I absolutely would have passed! :rotfl2:

Christa -- You are a singing, dancing, running machine! :worship: What a fantastic example you are to the rest of us. The next time I feel tired or lazy, I'm going to ask myself "What would Christa do?", and then get myself in gear! :thumbsup2

Julie -- My dh knew Brian Honan well. We used to live in Allston-Brighton, and dh was active with the CDC. It would be awesome to meet up at the race! I'm not sure if I'll have to walk again this year or not. Last year we (or should I say I) had ds, and he wasn't about to run. I also had my SIL, who prides herself on a 20 min. mi, and was not about to move any faster. I love her but...I'm hoping that if she does it again she can take ds so I can move a bit faster. :cool1:

Mel -- Julie and I will gladly reintroduce you to the wonders of snow. It is particularly lovely after a few days of traffic :sad2:

Corinna -- How lucky to find your lifemate so early! I had finished grad school and started working, and my grandma thought I was going to be an old maid. You just didn't wait until you were 24 to get married in her generation. :)

JenB -- Rock the Cradle of Love -- my current 80s ipod favorite, although it can change on a dime! I have 3 or 4 Billy Idol songs. The beat is great to keep me moving! :thumbsup2

Jeanne and Nancy -- :drinking1 I knew you'd appreciate that icon! I hope you had plenty of libations this weekend!

Jen and JenG -- 867 -- oh, wait, I guess I can't use that every time :rotfl2: I'm looking forward to reading your bios! ::yes::

Ok, I'm off to read another chapter -- Guess who finally got Plum Spooky from the library?!

Maria :upsidedow

Bryan, Erica, Allie and Tracy: Thanks so much for popping over. It was so nice to have you visit! :flower3:

Maria: OMG, I LOVE Billy Idol.....I play it loud in my car all the time. Even the Greek commented that it was great music so I got him his own CD for his birthday. Rock the Cradle of Love is my second fave.......Sweet Sixteen is my first. I just about wore that track out.

Robert: so sorry to hear about all the problems with Linda's foot. I had no idea any of that had happened. Sounds like you're getting the runaround for sure. I also didn't realize that Big River was not a Disney restaurant. I hope you'll be able to come to some acceptable solution soon. Sending hugs and pixie dust so that Linda will feel better soon.

Debra: your story made me gag......so gross. Gee, you're a regular candidate for Fear Factor! I would die before eating anything like that. The things we do for love......DOOD really owes you one for that.

Jackie: :welcome:

No Way! Our Little Jeanne is a Billy Idol devotee?! Just when I think you can't surprise me any more...I'm also a big fan of "Rebel Yell".

Ok, who else is hiding a music love that would stun us? I know somebody must like techno pop!

Maria

Actually I lied......my favorite track is White Wedding......but only because I love the sound of the whips!

Just dropping by to wish the cousins a great year!! :cool1: Thanks for visiting our thread Maria!! I do peek in here to see what you guys are all up too!!

I have to make a confession, though. Debra, I stole your front page...well much of it, anyway! I liked the way you did it! :thumbsup2

Aloha cousins! Today was the first day of the challenge. Did you do something active today??? :drinking1 (oooh, was that the wrong smilie? Well, it IS Superbowl Sunday!)

Jeanne: So you know the question I really want to ask you.... :rolleyes1 Instead I'll just ask you, are there ever times when you aren't feeling reflective? I can't imagine! I'm more than slightly in awe that you apply to the NY lottery. That's a long-term goal of mine, so I'll be watching your every move on this one. About the puddin' meat--hey, at least it made me appreciate being a vegetarian all the more. (Btw, I wouldn't have told that story, but I asked DOOD to help me out of writer's block. That's the anecdote he thought said something about me. What, I'm not really sure...)

Jen: We're waiting for your responses...we need something really embarassing about you. :rotfl2: I hope you're doing fine!

Maria: "Don't Wait for Heroes." Could be my theme song for the new TV season! I loved learning about Dennis. You're both rock-and-roll cool! And rebels, too, actually falling in love despite the bosses' wishes. Or maybe that's very Romeo and Juliet?? About Billy Idol...."Dancing With Myself." And that's all I'm saying.

Marcy: First, welcome to the family! I think your logic for why Disney fits in with many of our stories--you fit right in with WISH and 'Ohana! :thumbsup2 And I know Corrina has stories about traveling alone. I think and the other solo travelers have wild tales they're not telling us. We'll be sure to put you to good use, too, as I'd love to hear more about your being a raw foods chef. And you just might need to learn to use that sewing/embroidery machine to whip up some team gear for us all..... :rolleyes1 :lmao:

JenB: I so want the coast 2 coast medal, but I just don't think it's in the cards for me this year. I had no idea that you were a big game person. Me, too, although I'm not very good at most board games. And it's funny you mention Henson. Most of my aesthetic taste in music was informed by the Muppets! I also love Me First and the Gimme Gimmes--have the "Rainbow Connection" cover, among others. I bopped to ska in college.

Corinna: I'm glad you gave the backstory to your concussion--I'd missed that whole saga. Dogs, crazy-hyper creatures. :rolleyes: So...you were jailbait when you hooked up with DH? You've got a lot of potential races planned. Let me know if those shore up. Plus, aren't you planning on running them in a leopard print skirt and with a feather boa? Hint, hint! Oh, and what ARE paddies?

Mel: I'd never heard "dogspit on toast," and I'm loving it! I had no idea you were so active all your life--I'd love to learn to kayak Have you narrowed down your playlist to that theme song of yours?

Julie: Thanks for suggesting we all become costumed runners in our old thread. (Note how I changed it from me to all of us, and am blaming you!) :rolleyes: I think I love your father. That's just too clever. I would have stopped smoking and started drinking immediately!

Christa: I so see a sub-4 in your near marathon future. You're sooo close. And a possible 1/2 IM (that's what HIM means, right?). That makes a lot of sense with your goal of all those biking miles for 2009. I love Amazing Grace--what a beautiful song and tribute to your life. :flower3:

Jackie: Welcome to 'Ohana, or as I like to call it, the dark side. Geez, there are a lot of high-school and almost-high-school sweethearts here. Your school systems must have socialized much different types of boys than mine. You've got a fair number of events planned. When will DD learn about her scholarship, so we can learn about your attendance in January?? ;)

Robert: Congrats to you on your Dopey and recovery. Big big hugs to Linda--I had NO idea about her foot. I'm so sorry--it sound painful. Unfortunately, I have no problem believing the response of Big River Brewery. I hope she recovers soon, and they do the right thing sooner rather than later.

To all our other cousins from other teams! Welcome, come back often, and don't be a stranger! (Or any stranger than you normally are! :rotfl2: )

Erica: Congratulations on your NYC marathon plans. That's a fabulous incentive for doing races and volunteering!

Allie: So cool to see you here. Bring it on? Wasn't that a cheerleader movie? Oh, I get it, you've already figured out 'Ohana is the top competitor this year and you're cheering us on. Thanks! :cheer2: ;)

Tracy: Wassup? Yeah, we're ready for February. But the awesome Warriors tracked through January! Cool! :thumbsup2

Bryan: So good to see you here--we know DDDs will give us a run for our money (there is money involved, right? :lmao:) Speaking of run, good luck on your upcoming race. You're going to rock it!

Connie: I'm so glad to see you here. I'm planning on visiting you and Hakuna Matata in the next couple of days. After all, us Goofy Gals have to support each other!

As for me: Well, yesterday was fun. DOOD and I were in a small fender-bender. Nothing serious, but now our only car is in need of body work. And, you won't believe this, our local car rental places were closed today because of the Superbowl! So tomorrow is a busy (insurance) work kind of day. Fun! :thumbsup2

Hi Team Ohana--

Wanted to report in that I finished my FIRST half marathon today. DH and I just got back from Huntington Beach. Went well and I think I finished in just about 2 hours and 30 minutes. My first PR! I will answer thread questions soon, but just wanted to check in with my news. My legs hurt and I'm looking forward to a little break from running. But I'm already trying to figure out what the next goal should be.

:woohoo: Go JenG! Congratulations, we knew you could do it! And a PR! Hey, we get double miles for your Half 'cause it was a race, and on day 1!
Thanks!

(that should make up for my big fat zero today...)

I think you win for most active Cousin on the very first day! Yea!

Maria

Robert: Congrats to you on your Dopey and recovery. Big big hugs to Linda--I had NO idea about her foot. I'm so sorry--it sound painful. Unfortunately, I have no problem believing the response of Big River Brewery. I hope she recovers soon, and they do the right thing sooner rather than later.

Debra,

I have come to be less surprised about them as well. I like there beer but there service and food has become bad. And now this, I won't being going to them EVER again. When a business who causes an injury can't step up and leaves their customers in the cold, I can't and won't give my hard earned money to support them. There are many good places that would appreciate the business in this economy.

It is a hradship for us to spend this money only to hope to get it back someday. I feel that we are going to have to sue them. I have some friends in FL looking into attorneys for us :(

Debra said:
Vic: You know that I'll just make up a secret about you if you don't share one. And mine will involve women's lingerie.

What happens at Disney, stays at Disney. :rolleyes1 ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter