Tell me about Christmas at Disneyland...

funnygarcia

Hyena, Dis Diva, vegan-in-training
There is a real possibility that we will buy APs this trip in May and return during the boys winter break - Christmas week.. I know it is a block out week and we will buy Premium APs as we plan to return again in March for our spring break.

How bad really are crowds? I read they closed gates on Christmas Day .. but what about Christmas Eve, 22nd, 23rd? And days after Christmas.. we have gone in Spring break before but found it was ok for us.. we like the extended hrs, additional entertainments, etc.. and we know how to use fast pass effectively.

Any good rates at Hojo's at that time of yr?

Are other option is to pull the kids out of school and go first week of January- (buy a Deluxe AP instead and save $$) when do decorations come down? special Christmas parade/fireworks end, Holiday versions of HM and IASW are switched?

Suggestions welcome!

We have gone as a family (2 adults, 2 DS 11 and 9) once per yr for the last 4 yrs, with one trip as a couple and one as solo. Mostly in March/April/May

This website - http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm would indicate it is the worst possible time to visit.

There were horror stories here a few months back of people queuing for up to 2 hours for major rides, and spending the whole day in the park and doing just 4 rides.

We took our kids out of school (in Australia) to take advantage of cheaper air fares and smaller crowds at Disneyland in early December and have no regrets. I think it could make all the difference between a relaxing holiday with small queues and heaps of rides, and one where you soend the whole day in queues and come away with very little.

We have done the first week of the new year and had a great time,most of the Christmas stuff is up until the thursday after new years.

I love that small 2 week period between Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas. :cool1: Crowds are at a minimum, Often times it is warm enough for me to take an afternoon dip in the Neverland Pool at DH. :sunny: The park is beautiful and I feel that we have it mostly to ourselves. Like you, though, if I keep up the habit, I will need to pull children out of school to go. :sad2:

B9erSteve said:
I love that small 2 week period between Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas. :cool1: Crowds are at a minimum, Often times it is warm enough for me to take an afternoon dip in the Neverland Pool at DH. :sunny: The park is beautiful and I feel that we have it mostly to ourselves. Like you, though, if I keep up the habit, I will need to pull children out of school to go. :sad2:

Ditto !!!

And ditto again - we also went in that period - the first week of December - and had the best of the lot - No crowds (we walked straight on to Indi, Splash, Pirates etc) and yet got the great Christmas decorations, the Haunted Mansion and Small World makeovers and the Christmas parade - it's a wonderful time to visit. Just magic.

The week of Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Years are
EXTREMELY crowded. As in, almost having to push to get through the crowds of people, and LONG long lines--an hour or more. If you go expecting to ride a lot or do a lot you will be disappointed. But I'd still go, even knowing about the crowds, if that is the only time you can go.

Now we are thinking about the first week of January.. wish we could go earlier in December but DH has school and will have student teaching that he can not miss. (We could go without him .. but that would be so mean LOL).

I went on Veteran's Day weekend (solo) - it was pure magic and would love to share the holiday versions of rides, decorations and the snow on Main Street with my boys.

I cringe at taking my oldest DS out of school as next yr he will be in 7th grade. (Youngest will be in 4th grade.) They miss at least a week when we go to DL once a yr... but Elementary is much different than Middle School/Jr High.

I totally agree about the times to go, I would not step foot in there in the two weeks before Chrismas, but love the first week of December. January would be the second choice, it may still have a lot of people, but not near as bad.
I took my kids out of school for week to go to WDW last October and was so happy I did. I stressed out so much before hand though as DD is in 11th and classes like Trig. DS is 7th. They were both able to do a program where they get their work for a week. DS got his the day before we left and DD got hers in the two weeks before. They both had no problem, worked on stuff on the plane, ect. DD was able to get a ton done before we even left. If you can live with a slight drop in grades, I say go for. My kids did not drop in grades.

We've gone once the day after Christmas, the 26th-30th and it was unbelievably packed. The parks closed each day we were there except once if I'm not mistaken. One day we just decided to skip rides all together at DL and spent our time watching the Christmas Parade, Holiday Believe, Fantasmic and time in the Animation Building and Redwood Creek Challenge. We still had a great time though.

If you can take your kids out of school with no issues then go for the first week of Jan. All the holiday stuff is still up and prettiful and the crowds have considerabley lessened. Plus, you'll find MUCH better hotel rates after the 1st of the year!! The rates between Christmas and New Years can get ridiculous!

Whenever you can go, you just MUST - it's that simple LOL!

Everyone here has given you great advice, so you'll be prepared for what to expect no matter when you can come. I usually just wander the parks during Christmas (but I've been a premium AP for a million years, so rides are no big deal). This is when I really use my pass. I'll drive the 35 miles several times per week from mid-November on. It's just a magical, magical place during Christmas. And if you're a softy like me, the Believe fireworks show will make you cry. :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter