• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Terrible accident on the Prince Charmig Carrousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everyone is ok!

Regarding someone taking photos/video, I work in personal injury law on the plaintiff side and I cannot tell you how incredibly helpful photos and videos are, should the family pursue legal action. Oftentimes those injured are in pain or a state of shock and don't think to take photos of the surface, injuries, what have you immediately as it happens. Whether it's moral or not might be up for debate, which I won't get into. I try not to immediately assume that people taking photos or videos are doing it for some type of social media gain or the like, or doing it to laugh at the person injured. Many times we've had clients who had witnesses who took photos of the accident for the injured party, as it happened or right after, and provided them to us/the client for use. Not everyone is out to take embarrassing photos to then splash all over social media but I often see many jump to this conclusion first.

There is no such thing as a personal injury lawyer worth their salt.

Just sayin'...

I am sorry you feel this way and hope you never need a PI attorney, truly, because if you do, in many instances it will mean your life has been severely changed permanently. You can't imagine the devastating injuries we see, caused by no fault of our clients, and the outcomes really do improve the conditions these people have to live with. I understand it's popular to rag on PI attorneys but I promise you they are not all the stereotype people have of them. I cannot disclose specifics of course but my boss has really turned some life-destroying situations into much more bearable ones for those injured. Many people are ashamed to hire PI attorneys because of such stereotypes and it's really a sin because these people really ARE hurt, severely, and it is justified to take legal recourse. If you are gravely injured through no fault of your own, you may view PI attorneys differently when you are looking at half of your life spending $100k+ on yearly care. So yes, plenty of cases are extremely helped by photographs and videos of the incident. I know we are.

Accidents happen every day, even devastating ones, that are really no one's fault, just bad luck.

Even though very sad, it almost never justifies suing for millions (not to mention lawyers keeping 20-30% of the award).

If the child in this case were to have a neck injury after falling of the Carrousel, it would not IMO justify suing WDW for millions.

I see this lawsuit/entitlement attitute every day in the medical field, and it is driving physicians out of practice.

So, yeah I agree with Klayfish. 99%+ of personal injury lawyers are scum.

I am sorry you feel this way and hope you never need a PI attorney, truly, because if you do, in many instances it will mean your life has been severely changed permanently. You can't imagine the devastating injuries we see, caused by no fault of our clients, and the outcomes really do improve the conditions these people have to live with. I understand it's popular to rag on PI attorneys but I promise you they are not all the stereotype people have of them. I cannot disclose specifics of course but my boss has really turned some life-destroying situations into much more bearable ones for those injured. Many people are ashamed to hire PI attorneys because of such stereotypes and it's really a sin because these people really ARE hurt, severely, and it is justified to take legal recourse. If you are gravely injured through no fault of your own, you may view PI attorneys differently when you are looking at half of your life spending $100k+ on yearly care. So yes, plenty of cases are extremely helped by photographs and videos of the incident. I know we are.

I was making a tongue in cheek joke. Really just poking fun.

The joke was also partly because I've got a ton of insight on it anyway. I've been in auto and GL claims for many, many years. Let's just politely say that we'd agree to disagree. The truly "life-destroying" situations you describe where "$100k+ on yearly care" would be needed are 1 in 100. Scratch that...maybe 1 in 1000 (I think we can both agree that's a very good thing). Whether you believe in "legal recourse" is definitely subjective, so hard to really argue that. And for those cases, again, it's subjective if you think PI attorneys are helpful. I don't. Taking 33-40% of their settlement that they'd get anyway doesn't seem helpful, IMO.

But I digress. Like I said, I was just making a tongue in cheek joke.

I was making a tongue in cheek joke. Really just poking fun.

The joke was also partly because I've got a ton of insight on it anyway. I've been in auto and GL claims for many, many years. Let's just politely say that we'd agree to disagree. The truly "life-destroying" situations you describe where "$100k+ on yearly care" would be needed are 1 in 100. Scratch that...maybe 1 in 1000 (I think we can both agree that's a very good thing). Whether you believe in "legal recourse" is definitely subjective, so hard to really argue that. And for those cases, again, it's subjective if you think PI attorneys are helpful. I don't. Taking 33-40% of their settlement that they'd get anyway doesn't seem helpful, IMO.

But I digress. Like I said, I was just making a tongue in cheek joke.
Why does it matter whether it's $100k a year or a one time payment of $10k? If someone broke the law and injured you, why shouldn't you recover your damages?

I think it is pretty sad that accidents happen every single day and the first thing we have to do is to take pictures because someone might want to take legal action. It was actually an accident, I am sure that getting your phone out and snapping pictures is the last thing I would do. Wouldn't even be on my mind. Accidents happen in a split second, no time to take a picture unless you knew something was going to happen? We don't know the person taking pictures, but yikes.

There is a less intense side to the carousel? How fast does this carousel go?

As long as the full-body restraint fits around you (and importantly, your calves), it's generally safe...don't worry about the speed.

(Normally I would leave it at that but since you are new here and maybe genuinely don't know, I don't want to give incorrect information. It's a normal old carousel. My joke was in reference to another intense ride - Mission: Space - that has historically caused motion sickness. Disney altered it a bit several years ago so riders can choose to go on the "green" side, for an experience that is much less intense. Further, the calf reference is to Flight of Passage, a very new ride which apparently has calf restraints that are too small for some people, precluding them from riding it.)

I think it is pretty sad that accidents happen every single day and the first thing we have to do is to take pictures because someone might want to take legal action.

Agreed. We are a litigious society that looks to shoot the legal bulls-eye on the corporate target. Of course, the engineers and designers, even with the best of intentions, fall on the sword to preserve....well....I better leave it at that.

thank you for posting this, i think we all forget how easy it is to hurt your self or for your family to be hurt even at wdw.

and one more point. If they sue they sue, and before going to court more likely have a settlement. I am sorry but it is something that happens, and be honest if your kids got hurt and you did sue and Disney offered to pay out yearly or one big sum for a mistake, an accident, wouldn't half of you at least consider taking it? They have insurance for these type of reasons.

Oh my, I had no idea that PI attorneys were really social workers who's only goal in life was to make it better for their poor innocent victim clients. Not.
There's two sides to every potential lawsuit and all too often people are injured by their own irresponsibility or are motivated by greed to embellish their 'damages.'
I just know that if I or someone I cared about was injured in a public place I would not want anyone filming the after math while I/they were awaiting medical aid. Presumably video surveillance would provide any necessary 'evidence' without the need to ferret out the video of some lookyloo yahoo's cell phone. Indeed if the filmer was part of the injured person's party I'd immediately suspect a staged incident for $.
Seriously, I hope the child is ok.

IMO, in the event of injury,

The child falls because he/she lost their balance = no lawsuit
The child falls because the ride malfunctioned or the ride operator stopped it suddenly & unexpectedly = lawsuit

they have agi for one, we know that from the lawsuit we were hearing about from Pete on a show a few weeks ago. I believe they have like a team of lawyers and more than one company.

What if the person taking the photos was no ordinary Joe, but someone working for Disney(in plain clothes)that was taking photos to document for Disney purposes.

Oh my, I had no idea that PI attorneys were really social workers who's only goal in life was to make it better for their poor innocent victim clients. Not.
There's two sides to every potential lawsuit and all too often people are injured by their own irresponsibility or are motivated by greed to embellish their 'damages.'
I just know that if I or someone I cared about was injured in a public place I would not want anyone filming the after math while I/they were awaiting medical aid. Presumably video surveillance would provide any necessary 'evidence' without the need to ferret out the video of some lookyloo yahoo's cell phone. Indeed if the filmer was part of the injured person's party I'd immediately suspect a staged incident for $.
Seriously, I hope the child is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter