TGIF: The College Years

Hey! I'd love someone to college-talk with. Although I am younger than most of you, I will be starting college in the next few months. I'm thinking a major in psychology with a minor in spanish language. It would really work well with my 'want' (I guess that's the right word) of being a social worker with DCFS.

Welcome! :goodvibes :lmao: A lot of us are majoring in psych, it's such an interesting field. Do you know what part of psych you want to focus on?

Welcome! :goodvibes :lmao: A lot of us are majoring in psych, it's such an interesting field. Do you know what part of psych you want to focus on?
Nope, not yet. Would you mind telling me something about it? Your experiences, etc. I'd really like any input any of you guys can give me. :)

Great idea to start this thread! :thumbsup2

I'm Rachel, I'm currently a sophomore in college, and I'm a music education major, my primary instrument being voice.

My taste in music is very eclectic (I blame it on being a music major lol): pop/rock, classic rock. alt. rock, classical, musicals, jazz, oldies....pretty much everything but country lol, I'm not a fan. Lately I've become a huge fan of bands and artists from the UK that hardly anyone's heard of haha. Some favorites are: The Feeling, MIKA, Maroon 5, The Hoosiers, Paolo Nutini, OK Go, The Fray, Panic! at the Disco, Rocco Deluca & the Burden, Aerosmith, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, John Mayer, Billy Joel.....the list goes on and on.

Andddd I'm also guilty of being a fan of the 90's music. There's still some nsync and backstreet boys on my ipod, not to mention 5 smashmouth albums (there were after all, my fave band growing up! :lmao: )

And I love disney music, of course! Soundtracks, background music from the parks......then again, who doesn't?

My fave Disney movies would have to be Peter Pan and The Little Mermaid. Who am I kidding though, I love them all! I mean, who doesn't? ;)

Nope, not yet. Would you mind telling me something about it? Your experiences, etc. I'd really like any input any of you guys can give me. :)

It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work. My favorite was definitely childhood/developmental psych. It was all about how children develop and change throughout their younger years, and then the progression of life from childhood through adulthood. We had to study a specific child all semester and apply what we learned to them, seeing how she or he changed throughout the semester. I loved it! Abnormal psych was also really interesting, learning about all of the different psychological disorders and what the best form of action is for each of them. You always have to read a lot of case studies and they're usually really interesting, hearing about different people's experiences and what medications/therapies did and didn't help them.

My taste in music is very eclectic (I blame it on being a music major lol): pop/rock, classic rock. alt. rock, classical, musicals, jazz, oldies....pretty much everything but country lol, I'm not a fan. Lately I've become a huge fan of bands and artists from the UK that hardly anyone's heard of haha. Some favorites are: The Feeling, MIKA, Maroon 5, The Hoosiers, Paolo Nutini, OK Go, The Fray, Panic! at the Disco, Rocco Deluca & the Burden, Aerosmith, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, John Mayer, Billy Joel.....the list goes on and on.

Hey Rachel! I LOVE Mika and Paulo Nutini! They're both pretty popular here but still not many people have heard of them. These Streets by Paulo is one of the most gorgeous songs I've heard in a long time, and I LOVE his accent! It cracks me up because I can't understand half of what he says, but it's still pretty damn hot ;) :lmao:

Do you go to college in Md? My cousin's in her first year at UMD College Park and loves it down there!

ETA: AAh! I forgot to add my MUSIC!
Okay here we go;
I like lots of folk/folk-rock music, acoustic, alternative, 1930s-1950s jazz (i'm such a geezer!!), oldies, and some french music.
Fave artists:
Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darrin, Perry Como, Edith Piaf, Matt Costa, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Helen Forrest, Death Cab for Cutie, Damien Rice, Kimya Dawson (&The Moldy Peaches), Dashboard Confessional, Belle & Sebastian, Tracy Chapman, Rufus Wainwright, The Tragically Hip, Metric, The Dresden Dolls, Vera Lynn, The Shins, The SIlversun Pickups, Attack in Black & Elvis.

I'm more of a movie nerd though.
Also have a SLIGHT obsession with Kate Winslet. (L)

:lmao: Glad I'm not alone! I also LOVE old jazz, and you listed some of my faves! I actually incorporated some of Bobby Darin's lyrics into one of my college admissions essays 2 years ago lol! :)

Yay, a post on the College board that's not about the CP! ((not that I don't mind them, I just am not doing the CP until after I graduate)).

Same here! I also hope to do the CP the semester after I graduate, but that's a ways off, so it's nice to have a non-CP related thread! :goodvibes

I LOVE theater! A lot. Broadway is one of my favorite things in the world :love: We go see shows all the time and they're all so amazing. I also love a lot of soundtracks - isn't Spring Awakening amazing? It's no Rent (my favorite ever!) but I love a lot of the songs on there. I still haven't seen the show, though. Hairspray is also amazing, and the Michael Damian cast recording of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! That was my very first Broadway show back when I was five and I still remember every minute of it, it was that good! :rotfl: Have you seen any Broadway show?

Where are you guys from?

I've seen a TON of Broadway shows (I think the count is up to 25ish, lol). Joseph is also one of my favorites. I was in it back in high school, and it was one of the best theatre experiences ever. :)

Oh, and I'm from the Jersey shore. But I go to school in Gettysburg, PA.

It's a lot of fun, but a lot of work. My favorite was definitely childhood/developmental psych. It was all about how children develop and change throughout their younger years, and then the progression of life from childhood through adulthood. We had to study a specific child all semester and apply what we learned to them, seeing how she or he changed throughout the semester. I loved it! Abnormal psych was also really interesting, learning about all of the different psychological disorders and what the best form of action is for each of them. You always have to read a lot of case studies and they're usually really interesting, hearing about different people's experiences and what medications/therapies did and didn't help them.
Those sound really really interesting. I'm not sure yet, I'll be having a talk with my advisor sometime next month and see what she thinks about it all.

I might transfer universities after sophomore year, and I would have to make sure I'll my courses would be able to transfer. Ugh! I've been really stressing out about it all.

HEY! I saw your post on the TB, so I figured I'd head over!
There are a few more college aged people over there that we can probably expect to see here.

I've been on the TB for a WHILE, and I've ventured over here a few times, but I'm not in the CP so it's tough to find thing to talk about.

Anyways, I'm Caitlin, 18 years old, in my first year of University.
I'm majoring in French & Drama :goodvibes finding first year pretty awesome.
I have a boyfriend who goes to a different university than me, he lives on campus (it's about an hour away) it's totally tough being away from him.
We've been together for...over a year and a half. ish. :goodvibes
He's never been to WDW and we're taking him with us this august. w00t. :)

Anyways, I'm totally looking forward to chatting with some fellow college-aged DISers

:hippie: Caitlin

ETA: AAh! I forgot to add my MUSIC!
Okay here we go;
I like lots of folk/folk-rock music, acoustic, alternative, 1930s-1950s jazz (i'm such a geezer!!), oldies, and some french music.
Fave artists:
Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darrin, Perry Como, Edith Piaf, Matt Costa, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Helen Forrest, Death Cab for Cutie, Damien Rice, Kimya Dawson (&The Moldy Peaches), Dashboard Confessional, Belle & Sebastian, Tracy Chapman, Rufus Wainwright, The Tragically Hip, Metric, The Dresden Dolls, Vera Lynn, The Shins, The SIlversun Pickups, Attack in Black & Elvis.

I'm more of a movie nerd though.
Also have a SLIGHT obsession with Kate Winslet. (L)
Oh man. I love oldy jazz!

Hey Rachel! I LOVE Mika and Paulo Nutini! They're both pretty popular here but still not many people have heard of them. These Streets by Paulo is one of the most gorgeous songs I've heard in a long time, and I LOVE his accent! It cracks me up because I can't understand half of what he says, but it's still pretty damn hot ;) :lmao:

Do you go to college in Md? My cousin's in her first year at UMD College Park and loves it down there!

That's awesome, I'm so glad you've heard of them! :goodvibes If you like Mika, I definitely recommend trying out The Feeling.....they have the same sorta campy pop sound to them, I love it! And Paolo's accent = :love: I was supposed to go see him when he came to Baltimore this past fall but had to give away the tix cuz of a school performance, grr! :mad:

I do go to college in MD, I'm at Towson University, about 45 min away from College Park! I actually have a lot of friends there, I'm glad she's loving it! Where do you go to college? Did you stick around NYC?

:lmao: Glad I'm not alone! I also LOVE old jazz, and you listed some of my faves! I actually incorporated some of Bobby Darin's lyrics into one of my college admissions essays 2 years ago lol! :)

LOL! I sang Beyond the Sea for my audition into theatre at one of the schools that I'm didn't wind up going to :P Yay Bobby Darrin!
And I'm glad so many of you share my love of ooold geezer tunes!

Oh! I'm from the Great White North BTW (Ontario to be exact)
I go to University of Toronto. :thumbsup2

I'm taking a Psych class right now to satisfy my science credit.
Not gonna lie, I HATE it (but that's because I'm really not science minded at all)

im taking psych now and i think its really fun.... we mostly have class discussions and its a lot more involving than the other classes

I've seen a TON of Broadway shows (I think the count is up to 25ish, lol). Joseph is also one of my favorites. I was in it back in high school, and it was one of the best theatre experiences ever. :)

Oh, and I'm from the Jersey shore. But I go to school in Gettysburg, PA.

I didn't even see that you're from right here in Jersey, that's so cool! We have fam in Jersey so we're over there all the time.

What are your favorite Broadway shows? Rent was definitely my favorite, followed closely by Joseph, Aida, The Little Mermaid, and All Shook Up. We just got tickets to see Hairspray and The Lion King this summer and I can't wait1 Have you seen those yet?

That's awesome, I'm so glad you've heard of them! :goodvibes If you like Mika, I definitely recommend trying out The Feeling.....they have the same sorta campy pop sound to them, I love it! And Paolo's accent = :love: I was supposed to go see him when he came to Baltimore this past fall but had to give away the tix cuz of a school performance, grr! :mad:

I do go to college in MD, I'm at Towson University, about 45 min away from College Park! I actually have a lot of friends there, I'm glad she's loving it! Where do you go to college? Did you stick around NYC?

I definitely have to check out The Feeling, they sound awesome :thumbsup2

I go to school here in Brooklyn. I was thinking about going away but knew I couldn't share a bathroom with 40 people :lmao: I like being home, though. I have my own room and all my stuff's here, plus I'm in the city so there's always something to do.

I'm so glad that this thread's taking off. I love these boards and it's fun to talk to people I can actually relate to!

I love Broadway soundtracks, too. Right now I'm kinda obsessed with Legally Blonde - it's just so fun! I also love Rent and Wicked, of course. I've seen the touring versions of both of those, along with Spamalot, and I saw Beauty and the Beast on Broadway.

I saw Legally Blonde on that MTV special and it was a billion times better than I thought it would be. I actually really liked it!

I saw Legally Blonde on that MTV special and it was a billion times better than I thought it would be. I actually really liked it!
Same here, I was expecting it to be pretty bad so I was very pleasantly surprised! I actually like it a lot better than the movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter