The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Your run out of gas story sounds a lot like our cross-Crapistan carburator freeze-up story. The night we almost died.
I don't know if it's still true, but all the gas stations except one closed at 7pm (I think - maybe 6). This was 1990. I believe the only one open all night was in Whitehorse, but memory fails me for the exact place...tried looking up on map and Whitehorse is the only name that sticks out. You're not allowed to carry gas cans and I thought for sure I could make it. I could have if not for the really steep hill and my gas line (obviously) being in the front of the tank. I made it about 3/4 up the hill and then it died. I tried (unsuccessfully) several more times and even once trying to back up the hill to keep the gas in the front of the tank. We had snowmobile suits in the car and DW huddled under blankets. One car came along and refused to stop. Another came along and I explained what happened, but I guess the guy thought I was a highway bandit and I figured he was gone also. He eventually did come back and stopped about 100 yards away, put a gas can on the ground and then took off. About the same time (literally seconds) a truck pulled up and they had a tank in the back of their truck. The guy cranked the handle a bit and kept cranking. I tried to tell him we only needed to go about 5 more miles, but he ended up giving us close to half a tank. I gave him some money with my extreme thanks. I ended up taking the gas can the guy had left on the ground with us and told the gas station (when we got there minutes later) they could use it for the next unfortunate soul. The alcan is not a heavily traveled road and especially not in the middle of the night in the middle of winter, so total was about 2.5 hours from start to finish. I was never so thankful for the heat in the car. Even with the snowmobile suits, it was too stinking cold!

The African Swallow. (Clearly, it was unladen. I did not clock its velocity.
And yes, I'm sure it was indeed a swallow by its tail and flight.)

I was looking for a GIF from Monty Python's Holy Grail here...but I HIGHLY recommend you don't search a GIF-providing website for "African Swallow." I'm traumatized. lol

Is anyone even still reading? :confused3:confused3:confused3

Oooh, me! ME!

Come to find out, these homes were the remnants of those homes built by Nova Scotian folks during that Colonial period, so were very, very, VERY old.

No way!! How cool is this!? I'm proud to be a Nova Scotian! :lovestruc (Well, raised a New Brunswicker, but I've been here long enough now to feel I've got Nova Scotia in my blood!)

I found this to be amusing. Yes, I’m that juvenile. It shouldn't need too much translation…

Tehehehe

I leave you with the requisite lizard shot- I just couldn't help myself. ;)

:eek: How impressive is this guy!?

So... what are your favorite things about Canada?

Canada just feels like Canada...and I love that feeling. It's home! I love the people here. Especially on the East Coast. We're really just a resilient and friendly breed. You'll still find so many people, even young folks, who will gladly give you the shirt off their backs. I love free healthcare (though I do have my qualms about the system, and I actually had my neurosurgery on your side of the border for that reason, but I won't get into that here.) I'm proud of our reputation as peace-keepers around the world, which may not be as strong as it once was...but any time I've travelled elsewhere I've always been met with great love and appreciation when people find out that I'm from Canada! :lovestruc I love the strides we've made as a country on political/equality issues that are close to my heart. I love the great variations in landscape here, and that there are still so many places that are so rugged, and so thinly populated. There are lots of ongoing issues we still need to deal with here in Canada, including reconciliation for Aboriginal peoples, and some environmental concerns, etc., the list goes on. But I live in such a beautiful, rugged, kind, privileged country! :love:

Hey! It's Bob AND Larry!!!

Love those guys! I'm embarrassed to think about how many of these songs I have memorized...

You were!?! So you have a degree already! In what?

I do! I've got a bachelor's degree in Music (voice) with a minor in Psych. It doesn't seem to lead very well into a Masters of Science, which is technically what I'm doing now, but it actually ties in nicely with my specialization, Speech Language Pathology, in a lot of ways! :)

So, it’s time for a confession. My chapters have been titled since before I ever got home. To be specific I couldn’t sleep on the flight home from Africa, so after watching Ferris Beuller’s Day Off, I killed time by doing a fair bit of reminiscing of my time in Disney and the upcoming (at that time) Trip Report. I scrolled through my photos and started thinking up titles for the photos I wanted to chunk together.

Interesting. Since I do my reports chronologically i write up most everything while on the trip. It may just be cryptic notes that need embellishing later, and I come up with the titles of the chapters when i decide how much of each day I'll include in each update.

So, while this update may seem to contain a random montage of various activities, they are connected by the common theme of JUST FOR FUN!! (For a Contest Point, what is one thing about Disney, or something you do there, that MOST makes you feel young again?)

Interesting that you should ask this question. The first time I ever went to Disney I was at least 13, you know a teenager.... By the time i got there, I was too cool for school to get my "kid" on. I think i only went one more time before I was 18. Most of my Disney experiences have been of the "adult" nature. I suppose, I feel most like a kid those times when we're running from ride to ride. That doesn't last very long though because this old woman gets tired quickly and that turns into, "I want a drink!" :laughing:

He was a music composition major at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Bob studied privately with pianist/composer Dick Hyman.

That's impressive! I know who Dick Hyman is, or at least the name.

(For a Contest Point: Did you listen to any of his tracks? If so, which one and did you like it?)

No, I didn't. My life has been reduced to posting from my phone. Even the update on my TR yesterday was copied and pasted from Google Docs while at the vet. The TR's been done (writte) for well over a month.

So because my replies are patched together from waiting at stoplights or when i can steal a minite or two to type, i just don't have the time to listen to links right now.

Did you know he’s a Disney Legends Inductee as well?

I do not doubt that!

Bob’s main goal while playing the River Roost at Port Orleans is to encourage his folks to let loose their silly side.

That does sound like fun!

Sorry, no other photos from that night. Then again, who really wants to see a 50-year old looking like a dancing doofus?

:wave:

Contest Question: Which is your favorite area of AK: Africa, Asia, Dinoland, or Pandora?

I kinda like the path that takes you from Asia to Africa and back. So much to see.

I didn’t care if there were people out there laughing or judging. They don’t matter. So, indulge me in my exhibitionism just a little.

:eek:

Oh, that kind of exhibitionism. :lmao:

For a point, caption this photo ^)

OK I'm going with a play on an old movie title (of which i never saw the movie).

"White girls can't dance"

So for another Contest Point or two, share with us! I’d love to hear about those things that are off the beaten path that you like to do or about something you’ve heard or read about that you haven’t yet. (A point for each)

Well Yeehaw Bob would be one.
I'd also like to play another level of Sorcerers of the MK.
I'd like to do a PP photo with the Tangled lanterns.
I'm not sure if they still do the progressive monorail resort dinner, but that sounds fun too!

I'm sure there is a ton of other stuff but I can think of for now.

It’d sure been nice to have a cup of coffee, but yesterday was the last I’d ever see of my French Press. It had disappeared for good overnight. Had I known a coffee press was such a hot commodity, I’d have been more careful.

Well...dang. Sorry to hear that.

To this day, I have no idea what they were all doing, but I did NOT miss skipping an opportunity to be stuck in a hot car breathing in car exhaust and being squished with 4 other people.

Hope they all had a great time!

The African Swallow. (Clearly, it was unladen. I did not clock its velocity. And yes, I'm sure it was indeed a swallow by its tail and flight.)

OMG! It's the Holy Grail of bird sightings! Only way to improve upon that is if it were carrying a coconut, or gripping it by the husk.

I suppose it's only fitting, since you were all there on a quest from the Lord.

The children on the street were shouting and smiling at me and that’s when I learned my first Creole word. No, it wasn’t a swear word.

Dang. Uh, I mean, that's good!

“Apato-Fena, Apato-Fena!!!!” “Pretty white girl, Pretty white girl!!”

I was touched and amused. When I waved at them, they shyly giggled and waved back. So sweet.

Aw...:goodvibes

Someone went out to get a couple of schwarma for us from the same place we’d eaten on our first full day in Sierra Leone. I cannot describe how delicious these were. Then again, Top Ramen would have been the most delicious meal I’d ever eaten right about then too.

I can certainly understand that! But eating like Avengers is pretty cool, too.

Come to find out, these homes were the remnants of those homes built by Nova Scotian folks during that Colonial period, so were very, very, VERY old.

Wow. That's impressive that they've stood for so long!

Another thing I noticed on our way was an ENORMOUS, and I mean that in every possible sense of the word, tree that stood towering over everything around it. I pointed it out after I lost view, but everyone in the car knew exactly the tree I was referring to.

Cool! That tree looked absolutely massive!

Side note--I saw that Mt. Vernon lost an historic tree in the last Nor'easter. It was planted by George Washington himself. Sad to see it go.

Yes, I’m that juvenile. It shouldn't need too much translation…

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

He, like all the other people still living there, are, quite literally, some of the poorest people on earth. They farm (BY HAND!) all of their crops, they make, yes, you heard me right, MAKE their own coal to cook with, eat one meal of rice, except on very rare occasions, every day, and live to be about 40.

Holy crap. I have no problems. None.

Ahmed fulfilled his promise to return, and now does so as a celebrated hero. His first visit back was only 2 years ago but was only for a single day. This time, with us beside him, he returned to his village again with near demi-god status.

He sounds like a remarkable man!

I may not comment much, but I truly enjoy reading about your adventures. Such a different world that is easier to understand when told from a personal point of view as opposed to a news story or something like that.

(For a Contest Point, what is one thing about Disney, or something you do there, that MOST makes you feel young again?)

Having snacks in place of a meal…Dole Whip for lunch, carrot cake cookie for breakfast….
Now that we're back and I have time to read again, I'm seeing/realizing/being reminded of all the yummy things I was planning, but forgot. The carrot cake cookie was one of them. :sad: Cinnamon roll at Gaston's. At least I got my dole whips in! :yay:

It's working. By the number of commenters I have anymore, I'm doing something "right". :rolleyes:
I think in general, there's been a slow down lately. Either that or folks are getting annoyed by all the updates to my TR. Trying to get as much done before I start work and I think maybe I've been posting way too fast for some folks or they're just way too busy right now (or both).

OH I have my moments alright. If I could just remember them all. Or even a few.
What are moments? If only I could remember what we were talking about.

I was looking for a GIF from Monty Python's Holy Grail here...but I HIGHLY recommend you don't search a GIF-providing website for "African Swallow." I'm traumatized. lol
I can imagine. I would suspect similar to if you mistakenly go to whitehouse (.com) instead of whitehouse.gov.

Canada just feels like Canada...and I love that feeling. It's home! I love the people here. Especially on the East Coast. We're really just a resilient and friendly breed. You'll still find so many people, even young folks, who will gladly give you the shirt off their backs. I love free healthcare (though I do have my qualms about the system, and I actually had my neurosurgery on your side of the border for that reason, but I won't get into that here.) I'm proud of our reputation as peace-keepers around the world, which may not be as strong as it once was...but any time I've travelled elsewhere I've always been met with great love and appreciation when people find out that I'm from Canada! :lovestruc I love the strides we've made as a country on political/equality issues that are close to my heart. I love the great variations in landscape here, and that there are still so many places that are so rugged, and so thinly populated. There are lots of ongoing issues we still need to deal with here in Canada, including reconciliation for Aboriginal peoples, and some environmental concerns, etc., the list goes on. But I live in such a beautiful, rugged, kind, privileged country! :love:
Love the list. I have qualms about free health care also. As with everything in life, it has its pros and its cons.

Love those guys! I'm embarrassed to think about how many of these songs I have memorized...
You and me both. My kids loved (note past tense, because I'm not sure they still do) these.

Last edited:

WOOHOO!! I am caught up! I am getting a "new" laptop hopefully this week and will be able to keep up better. I hope anyway. I am completely enjoying both parts of your trip report for entirely different reasons.

I also love Veggie Tales, watch it with my babies in the nursery at church. And it's actually Silly Songs with Larry. The part of the show where Larry comes out and sings a silly song. :-)

Kim

Last edited:
Caught up again!

Amazing story about the founder of your NGO. I can't wait to hear the rest of it.

Jill in CO

Sorry for the disappearing act - trying to be better about my work time.

Sorry about your French Press disappearing - but in retrospect, not so surprising. If the electricity is out, it's the best option for making more than one cup of coffee at a time, that is for sure. I found out about the little Melitta filter holder things that do one cup at a time when ex-bf was packing for his Peace Corps gig, and I ended up getting one for myself when I had a teeny tiny grad school apartment kitchen. Many years later, dh got me a camping French Press (made of plastic, so less likely to break), and we've used it also when the power has gone out. (And in the meantime, my little Melitta cone holder thing has disappeared...)

Continuing to be entertained by your stories, even when I don't comment...

You're not allowed to carry gas cans and I thought for sure I could make it.

Say what? That's just weird! Why?

We had snowmobile suits in the car and DW huddled under blankets. One car came along and refused to stop.

Sounds exactly the same as us. Huddle in our heavy winter coats and under blankets. And NO one stopped for a LONG time. Ended up being a pilot car for a missle going along the highway from the Cosmodrome.

I had no voice with which to say “Good Morning” at 8:30,

Oh dear. Hope you started feeling better as the day went on. :hug:

In order to conserve water, regular flushes had ceased altogether, so a nice “aroma" had hastened my use of that particular area.

Um.... ew.
I think an outhouse might have been preferable.

I wouldn’t need much as we’d only be gone for 3 days.

Liesa's belongings for 3 days:

All packed up with nowhere to go and a rumbly in my tummy, I found myself downstairs with a packet of instant grits again.

Did Rebekah do that too? Or did she stick with what was provided?

It’d sure been nice to have a cup of coffee, but yesterday was the last I’d ever see of my French Press.

:sad2: Where was it when you saw it last? In your room? Or?

I sufficed with instant Nescrappay

:laughing:

held my chin up high, and…. Ooops, sorry; that’s just me being snooty.

Nah. I don't drink it, but I get that there's a difference between good and bad coffee.

we found out that several others, including my aunt, left about 10 minutes before we were ready without even telling us. Ummmm? Okay.

Wha?

That was odd, if not a bit…. I dunno. It was just strange.

No kidding. Not even a "We'll be back in a bit"

it turned out okay because it did give us some extra time to relax and not do much.

And considering you weren't feeling well, maybe for the best.

To this day, I have no idea what they were all doing, but I did NOT miss skipping an opportunity to be stuck in a hot car breathing in car exhaust and being squished with 4 other people.

Yeah... I can see how that might now be so much fun... or... is it?

This was the first time ever that this woman had touched a white person, let alone braid her hair.

Huh! This too is out of my wheelhouse. It's just not something that would occur to me.

She had Rebekah’s hair double French-braided in literally 30 seconds.

That would explain the blurred super-fast hand. ::yes::

W. Africans spend incredible amounts of time on their hair either getting it braided in elaborate weaves or putting on their wigs. The majority of what I saw were hair pieces and wigs of straightened black hair done in some sort of very fashionable hairstyle.

Like that one. That's... quite some "do"!

I give you….

The African Swallow. (Clearly, it was unladen. I did not clock its velocity.

:lmao:

Perfect!!!! :rotfl:

Yes, I literally laughed out loud and thought that yes, I was indeed very anxious to get home and begin to share my adventures with all of you… my “other family”.

::yes:: With gems like that, you better!!

(Is anyone even still reading? :confused3:confused3:confused3)

Now that right there makes me sad. Of course we're reading! And enjoying the heck out of this TR, too!

(Don't worry! Not very far- I basically stood at the entrance to our compound as I needed a chaperone to venture much further.)

Phew! Good. I'd be a bit nervous about venturing out.

No, it wasn’t a swear word. I have been called those before,

Oh? And what were the circumstances that resulted in that?

“Apato-Fena, Apato-Fena!!!!” “Pretty white girl, Pretty white girl!!”

Awww! And... they're right!

I was touched and amused. When I waved at them, they shyly giggled and waved back. So sweet.

:)

It just didn’t feel right to eat them by ourselves when it was obvious those waiting with us were not going to get food anytime soon either.

That's very generous of you.

and.... the right thing to do. I'm not sure if I'd have been quite so generous or had that thought.

I cannot describe how delicious these were. Then again, Top Ramen would have been the most delicious meal I’d ever eaten right about then too.

You've mentioned they were good before, so I'm thinking they still were. :)

***warning, a paragraph with boring World History coming your way***

This is odd. But when I read things like that on yours or someone else's TR, I almost always (if not always) find it interesting. I guess if someone took the trouble to look into it and feels it's interesting enough to share... it usually is!

That's pretty cool. It looks like a single level house that then had a second level added later, right on top.

It also (still) has the oldest Western-style university on the African continent.

Really!

There, that oughtta make my Canadian readers feel proud!

Yay us!

Another thing I noticed on our way was an ENORMOUS, and I mean that in every possible sense of the word, tree that stood towering over everything around it.
I promise you won’t be sorry you read this very short article.

I did! And I'm glad I did. Quite the tree and an interesting story, too.

I have no idea why.... maybe because it's so dry?
But I keep forgetting that the ocean is right there.

While we loitered, waiting for everyone to show up and the truck to finish getting loaded, I found this to be amusing. Yes, I’m that juvenile. It shouldn't need too much translation…

:laughing: :sad2:

Oh, Liesa. What are we going to do with you?

For them, an outreach and donation of this size is a huge, big deal.

I can well imagine. Especially considering your comments of how poor many are there.

The Founder and CEO of our organization grew up in the village we would be going to first and spending the majority of our time. He, like all the other people still living there, are, quite literally, some of the poorest people on earth. They farm (BY HAND!) all of their crops, they make, yes, you heard me right, MAKE their own coal to cook with, eat one meal of rice, except on very rare occasions, every day, and live to be about 40. Ahmed had no shoes until he was 18 years old. One day when he was 13, he went to his father and told him he could not live that way and did not want to become a farmer for the rest of his life. He would leave that very day and seek a better life. He told them, his mother and father, that he would someday return, walked 8 miles to the highway and hitch-hiked to Freetown. That day.

He found a job doing laundry for an Indian man who sponsored him to go to school. He worked and studied hard, and eventually found himself doing other jobs and making other connections. When he was 18, he was invited by that same Indian man to go to India to study at university and, being an incredibly charismatic and sharp businessman, Ahmed started his first business. His success story only continued to grow from there, but he never lost sight of his life’s mission: to return to his home to bless and develop his little village, Mayola, into something wonderful.

To add a bit more backstory, Ahmed’s father passed away before he could return there. This broke his heart, but only served to strengthen his resolve to work hard and return to be a part of lifting his village out of poverty. He now lives in Maryland with his wife and children and spearheads much of what the organization does in Sierra Leone. PM me if you would like to read more. I do know they recently bought a tractor to finally be able to farm a community tract of land that Ahmed bought himself (200 acres or so?) for village food resource security. Huge!!!!!

Ahmed fulfilled his promise to return, and now does so as a celebrated hero. His first visit back was only 2 years ago but was only for a single day. This time, with us beside him, he returned to his village again with near demi-god status.

That is an incredible tale. Seriously. That's.... movie stuff right there. And... moving stuff too.

Next time, I will continue with our convoy, the long, long, long, long road to Mayola, and the welcome we received as we got there. I think it will touch your hearts… it certainly did mine.

I can't wait!

You mentioned earlier "Is anyone even still reading?"

Well, I can assure you that I, for one, am on the edge of my seat and greedily devouring every detail of this trip.

I leave you with the requisite lizard shot- I just couldn't help myself. ;)

:laughing: Of course you couldn't.
And, well.... I don't think I could either. That is one... different looking lizard! Never seen anything like it. All grey with that bright yellow head? Fascinating!

Thanks so much for posting the update! :goodvibes

No. Besides I need to put more episodes of The Crown on my queue.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through season 2.

I've been studying my little tooshie off (I wish I could say it really did that)

Wouldn't that be something?

"This just in. Obesity problem solved! Also, in an unrelated story, general intelligence scores have skyrocketed!"

and registered for my written exam on May 7th. If I pass, Happy Birthday to me Gift #1. The very next day, ON MY BIRTHDAY, I will have my very first loggable flight time with a CFI...

Hey! That's great! What a great birthday present to yourself!! :)

to the tune of $96/hr for the Cessna 150 and $58/hr for 2 hours of CFI time. That's roughly $220 for my first 2 hours. I need 40 hours. I could go to Southern Italy easily on this. I have no idea what I was thinking. :guilty:

Yes, it'll be worth it, but oy:scared:

Yes... it will be worth it. :)

EWW, no, that really does sound horrible. I like the chai spice one.

It tasted like cough medicine. Yuck.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:
LOLOL! The uncensored DIS!!

Dying....

No way!! How cool is this!? I'm proud to be a Nova Scotian! :lovestruc (Well, raised a New Brunswicker, but I've been here long enough now to feel I've got Nova Scotia in my blood!)

Home is just "home" isn't it? I will always have a special place in my heart for the "old" California- the way it used to be in the 70s.

:eek: How impressive is this guy!?

I love his coloring. He really blended in with the lichens on the concrete.

Those are all incredibly wonderful reasons to love you home country- you have every reason to be very proud!

Ahhh, Silly Songs with Larry. :teeth:

I do! I've got a bachelor's degree in Music (voice) with a minor in Psych. It doesn't seem to lead very well into a Masters of Science, which is technically what I'm doing now, but it actually ties in nicely with my specialization, Speech Language Pathology, in a lot of ways! :)

I'd certainly say so! All incredible achievements that you should be very proud of! :hug:

Keep at it. Very soon you'll have a couple more amazing letters behind your name!

Last edited:
Bob’s main goal while playing the River Roost at Port Orleans is to encourage his folks to let loose their silly side. He does a fabulous job too as I’ve seen grown men who would probably normally balk at being goofy in public do the YMCA in front of 100 giggling women. It’s good old-fashioned fun that people of all ages can enjoy. It’s amazing how a classical composer can switch up genres and still be astounding. Kind of like Freddie Mercury or Danny Elfman – I think you’d be surprised at their training, talent, and versatility as well.

Anyway, enough commentary. Since I was staying at the POR, it seemed natural that I’d hit up another (my 3rd) Yehaa Bob show. I always get a kick out of the shenanigans he conjures up. I stayed long enough to have a drink and join the Ladies’ Conga Line which is plenty. Of course, there was also time to give a Tarzan yodel and beat my hands on my chest when he played his bugle, and sing “Sarah, Sarah, Sitting on the Shed House Door”.

Here is the photo I ended up with before I took my leave.

I have yet to see Yehaa Bob! I vow I will one day! That is a great picture!

IMG_5781-L.jpg

But this is an even better picture! I love it! You are very into your dancing and you look like you're having a blast!

The Founder and CEO of our organization grew up in the village we would be going to first and spending the majority of our time. He, like all the other people still living there, are, quite literally, some of the poorest people on earth. They farm (BY HAND!) all of their crops, they make, yes, you heard me right, MAKE their own coal to cook with, eat one meal of rice, except on very rare occasions, every day, and live to be about 40. Ahmed had no shoes until he was 18 years old. One day when he was 13, he went to his father and told him he could not live that way and did not want to become a farmer for the rest of his life. He would leave that very day and seek a better life. He told them, his mother and father, that he would someday return, walked 8 miles to the highway and hitch-hiked to Freetown. That day.

He found a job doing laundry for an Indian man who sponsored him to go to school. He worked and studied hard, and eventually found himself doing other jobs and making other connections. When he was 18, he was invited by that same Indian man to go to India to study at university and, being an incredibly charismatic and sharp businessman, Ahmed started his first business. His success story only continued to grow from there, but he never lost sight of his life’s mission: to return to his home to bless and develop his little village, Mayola, into something wonderful.

To add a bit more backstory, Ahmed’s father passed away before he could return there. This broke his heart, but only served to strengthen his resolve to work hard and return to be a part of lifting his village out of poverty. He now lives in Maryland with his wife and children and spearheads much of what the organization does in Sierra Leone. PM me if you would like to read more. I do know they recently bought a tractor to finally be able to farm a community tract of land that Ahmed bought himself (200 acres or so?) for village food resource security. Huge!!!!!

Ahmed fulfilled his promise to return, and now does so as a celebrated hero. His first visit back was only 2 years ago but was only for a single day. This time, with us beside him, he returned to his village again with near demi-god status. I will pick up the rest of his story in the next chapter, for I am out of time for tonight Friends. Next time, I will continue with our convoy, the long, long, long, long road to Mayola, and the welcome we received as we got there. I think it will touch your hearts… it certainly did mine.

This is an amazing story, so inspiring. Can't wait to hear more about Ahmed!

(For a Contest Point, what is one thing about Disney, or something you do there, that MOST makes you feel young again?)
I'm not sure it makes me feel young, but for the most part, I don't particularly care what people think of me or what they see me doing at Disney. Like if I want to be silly with my girls, or sing along to something, I just will. In "the real world" I would be too self conscious to do that.

When I started to dig a little deeper into Bob Jackson for writing this chapter, better known at Disney as Yehaa Bob, I found out some very interesting things. Seriously, I had NO idea and am duly impressed. Let me share a blurb from his own website:
I'm very sad that my last trip staying at POR, I did not see a show. None of my girls - including DW - were very motivated to see a show, especially after a long day in the parks. He also seemed to be away a lot in the week I was there. I caught a fleeting glimpse and heard only briefly one of his shows, on the very last night we were there. We were busy getting back to the hotel to pack and really didn't have the time to stop. Now hearing more about him, it makes me regret that. And no, I did not know he was a Legends inductee!

(For a Contest Point: Did you listen to any of his tracks? If so, which one and did you like it?)

Not yet.

(Contest Question: Which is your favorite area of AK: Africa, Asia, Dinoland, or Pandora?)
I'd have to say Harambe. I couldn't really say why. Just the atmosphere. We also have a little family tradition here. They have the fruit stand and they sell hollowed out pineapples filled with strawberries. We always have this as a midday snack and it's a refreshing treat after days of over indulging on sweets and buffets (which I like, but need a break from it). I know other places in WDW have the same thing, but somehow it's just 'our thing' in Harambe.
I do enjoy all the park - I've yet to see Pandora though - and I even appreciate the story behind Dinoland.

Interesting. Since I do my reports chronologically i write up most everything while on the trip. It may just be cryptic notes that need embellishing later, and I come up with the titles of the chapters when i decide how much of each day I'll include in each update.

LOL! I'm lucky to get 2 lines written in my trip notes, let alone a whole TR! Just not enough downtime for that. Or I'm too busy taking photos. I like that there are different styles of writing here. If everyone's TR was cookie cutter, it'd be such a droll place to spend time.

Interesting that you should ask this question. The first time I ever went to Disney I was at least 13, you know a teenager.... By the time i got there, I was too cool for school to get my "kid" on. I think i only went one more time before I was 18. Most of my Disney experiences have been of the "adult" nature. I suppose, I feel most like a kid those times when we're running from ride to ride. That doesn't last very long though because this old woman gets tired quickly and that turns into, "I want a drink!" :laughing:

HAHA! But does riding Peter Pan spark your imagination like a child? Or throwing your hands up in the air on a coaster? I can see the running from ride to ride part! Wanting to get as much done as you can. When we were kids, we'd take the Park Map and it used to have check marks! LOL! We'd see how many we could check off in a day. There were many occasions we could knock off all of them- especially on a rainy day.

That's impressive! I know who Dick Hyman is, or at least the name.

Cool!!

No, I didn't. My life has been reduced to posting from my phone. Even the update on my TR yesterday was copied and pasted from Google Docs while at the vet. The TR's been done (writte) for well over a month.

So because my replies are patched together from waiting at stoplights or when i can steal a minite or two to type, i just don't have the time to listen to links right now.

Well, that's not fun, but you're very busy so I get that you do a lot from the phone. I do too, but can't bring myself to comment from there. Too frustrating! I am impressed that you can do a whole TR that way!!!

No worries! The point was simply answering if you did or not. ;)

I kinda like the path that takes you from Asia to Africa and back. So much to see.

Oh yes! I love that area too! Especially the Mac and Cheese Cart. ;)

Oh, that kind of exhibitionism. :lmao:

:lmao:

OK I'm going with a play on an old movie title (of which i never saw the movie).

"White girls can't dance"

Good one!!! So true and.... I"ve never even heard of it!!!

Well Yeehaw Bob would be one.
I'd also like to play another level of Sorcerers of the MK.
I'd like to do a PP photo with the Tangled lanterns.
I'm not sure if they still do the progressive monorail resort dinner, but that sounds fun too!

I'm sure there is a ton of other stuff but I can think of for now.

All EXCELLENT choices!!! Nice ways to slow down and take in the "extras". Especially the Sorcerers Game. And, I've wanted to do the Dine in the Sky for as long as I've known about it. I hope they have it next time I'm there!

Long time lurker....but wanted to say how much I am enjoying your African story (and Disney of course!!)

Well, hello there!!! And a very big :welcome:! Thank you so much for saying hello and letting me know you're here! I'm glad you are enjoying the things still and I hope you'll pop in every so often (or often is better!) to say howdy and join in the chatter! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter