The Adventures of Krusty & Owl...a Wonderful trip to Alaska!

topsy

Mouseketeer
The story so far...

Hi there and welcome to my pre-trip (and eventually post-trip) report for the September 2nd Alaska cruise! :wave2:

My biggest guilty pleasure is lurking on the dis-boards and reading trip reports, namely of any and all previous Alaska cruisers. I have found them so fun, interesting and helpful beyond belief that I thought I would have a go at writing my own. I only hope it lives up to the high standard of reporting I have come to love on these boards!

So without further ado...

A little about us. Me - Kirsty (25) and my good friend Elle (28).

Our names in the title, Krusty and Owl, come from a long standing joke from our last trip to Walt Disney World together involving two Starbucks cups and two brand new names&we had a lost in translation moment with the baristas who misheard our English accents! Since then, the names have stuck.
Elle and I worked together whilst participating in the Cultural representative Program at Epcot in 2008/9. We share a love for all things Disney and experienced my first DCL cruise together on the Magic in 2009, a 7 night Western Caribbean.

Heres a few pics of us on our Caribbean cruise...

DSCN1284.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

(I'm the red-head, Elle's the brunette)

I had previously hoped to go to Alaska with my partner next year followed by a week of exploring the beautiful Canadian Rockies. That is until I heard rumours that DCL wouldnt be returning to Alaska in 2014&its safe to say we now know that was just a rumour as they are in fact returning! Anyway, we couldnt really afford to go this year and I couldnt convince him to commit to the cruise. Id found a really good price for a 7A navigators verandah and didnt want to wait for it to disappear. I made a deal with myself to keep checking and if the prices suddenly started to increase, I would re-think my options.

Fast forward a few months to January 2013 when prices started to increase and rooms started to book up. I guess that once Christmas was out of the way, people started to think of their holidays for the year. I watched as each category become more and more expensive, continually debating whether or not I should just book something as a dummy cruise. But I had nobody to go with and didnt want to go behind DFs back and book him on it!
This is where my friend Elle comes in. I had to travel to a new office which meant I had to drive right through the town where she now lives. We arranged to meet for dinner and I told her all about the cruise. Within 5 minutes shed agreed to going and we had things all planned out! A week later, I had our room booked.

As the prices had gone up and the 7A rooms were no longer available, we decided to just book an inside stateroom so at least we would be on the ship. We could keep looking at prices and try to upgrade at a later date if we could afford to. Well we committed to this decision for about 24 hours before asking our poor DU agent to upgrade our booking! We both really wanted a verandah! About a week after that I checked the DCL website and 7A rooms were available again, so once again, Kelsie from DU received a request from us to change the room&again. Weve gone from a 10C to a 5A and back down to the very last 7A on the ship (sorry if you were hoping for a 7A!). Were booked in stateroom 6642 and are happy with that. Ive actually looked at a few pictures online and it appears that room 6642 has a slightly extended porthole.

Hoping I havent bored you too much so far, Ill move onto the next thing we booked. Our excursions! I know, I know, we still dont sail for 160+ days but with over 1000 people on board, going to the same ports and most likely looking to book with the same tour operators, I figured that wed better get a jump on it. Thanks to one of the brilliant threads on these boards about Alaska excursions, we decided to go it alone and book independently.
Weve gone with Chilkoot Charters & Tours in Skagway for their Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion with lunch, Husky puppy camp & Emerald Lake. The whole tour takes 7.5 hours and departs at 7.30am, joy! I believe per person the cost is $176 which is pretty reasonable for an entire day. Plus the exchange rate must have been really good the day I paid on my card, it cost us much less in GB£ than I estimated.

For Juneau, another Disboard recommendation, were going whale watching with Harv & Marv. They have two departure times, 6.50am and 9.50am. Weve gone for the later departure as we dont want to have to rush too much each morning. We plan to spend a little extra time at Mendenhall Glacier after the trip and well get the shuttle bus back into town. We should have about 2-3 hours after the whale watching before we have to be back on the ship. I had hoped to do the Mt. Roberts Tramway too as I would love a shot of the Wonder from up high but weve not committed to this and probably wont have time. It may not matter as who knows what the weather will be like that day, we might get up there and have no view at all!

Last but not least, Ketchikan. We have no excursion planned here. It seems to be the best port to mooch around so thats what well do. I really like the idea of the Misty Fjords floatplane trip and have details of a few companies but right now the budget just doesnt allow for it. Again, well probably play this by ear and if we find a good deal at the port (or win the lottery before going!) we might add that on.

I think well be ok weather-wise as were used to cold temperatures in the UK. Its currently 3 degrees centigrade outside, which is about 37 Fahrenheit! From previous threads I believe the average temp on the cruises is around 40-60F?

Well, I think youve suffered long enough with this post! Please feel free to tag along and ask any questions.

Looking forward to reading. We are on the August 12 Alaskan cruise. We have basically the same excursions planned, though we can't book with Harv and Marv as our younger DD is only 11.

Denise

Just checking in!

I can take NO credit for any of the planning of this trip, at all. Thanks Kirsty! lol

Following your thread as my husband and I have the Alaska trip booked for Aug. of 2014. I can't wait to read all about your adventures. I have been looking at some the same excursions you've mentioned, so I'm anxious to see how they turn out for you. :)

Going to follow along here, we have the 9-night booked for May 2014. I hope you do post a trip report with lots of pictures. Your trip will be here before you know it, and I hope you have a wonderful time.

We are on the same sailing! If you see a rowdy bunchy of blonde children, they are ours! ;) I hope to start a pre-trip report soon, I've also so enjoyed reading the past reports from Alaska!

I use Kelsie at DU as well. You'll love Alaska its just amazing, one of my best holidays ever, maybe even the best. Love the knicknames.

Thanks for following everyone! I've been a bit slow on replying as we have just been on a holiday to WDW. I'm now back, getting over the jet lag and getting ready to write a new post, so hang in there with me!

Hope you post reviews or a trip report when you are ack!

I will indeed! I'm realising that I was a little too excited and posted my PTR very early, not a lot is happening yet!

I'll post more in a month or two once I start buying things for the cruise and we reach our 90 day mark in June and we can book Palo reservations.

127 days to go until we cruise! :cool1:

So Elle came do stay last weekend so that we could plan our trip. We’re flying out on August 31st and the cruise isn’t until Monday 2nd Spetember so we will have the weekend to spend in Vancouver, a place I have always wanted to visit. The cruise docks again on Monday 9th September and we don’t fly home until about 8pm on Tuesday 11th so again, we have a couple of days in Vancouver.

Anyway, we planned a few things. We booked our hotel, we’ll be staying at the Ramada Downtown Vancouver both before and after our cruise. I managed to negotiate a good rate which includes breakfast and we can leave our luggage there on our last day when our flight isn’t until the evening.

We also made a list of places we want to visit/things we want to do:
Ride bikes around Stanley Park
Make up a picnic from Granville Island
Visit Grouse Mountain & Capilano Suspension Bridge
Eat cupcakes at Cupcakes by Heather & Lori (they’re on my list of bakeries to visit, as well as Carlo’s Bakery in Hoboken!)
Go up the Harbour Centre tower :yay:
Stroll around Gastown
Walk to Canada Place & take pics of the Wonder in port (YAY!)
Eat at Salt (again, several trip reports have highlighted this place so I’m keen to try it out)

If anyone has any advice/tips on how to get around Vancouver or things we shouldn’t miss, please let me know. We’re trying to keep this part of the holiday under a tight budget so we’re thinking of public transport and walking in order to get around.

Having said that, we’re probably going to splurge on zip lining at Grouse Mountain. We figured we could as we haven’t got an excursion booked for Ketchikan so we can use the money we have saved there. I love that kind of logic!

Anyway, there we were planning away when we ventured to the DCL website to peruse the new itineraries. Now let me point out that we were in no way looking for another holiday. We are both studying and have exams next year. I’m also hoping to go away with my boyfriend next year as my last 3 holidays have been with friends and not him (oops!).

Elle had realised that with one more cruise under her belt she would reach Gold Castaway status…who could pass that up?!

Flying to the states can be expensive so we looked at prices of the Europe cruises, you know, just for fun. And what do you know, there is a 7 night cruise from Barcelona at the end of August 2014 for just £500 each (a fifth of what this holiday is costing us, so it seemed like a bargain!). We procrastinated a little and then decided that we could always go to the future cruise desk when on board in September this year and see what price they could offer us. So we dropped the issue. Or so we thought…

We then stumbled upon something magical…a 12 night Eastern Transatlantic from Port Canaveral to Barcelona for almost the same price as the Europe cruise. Could that be right? 12 nights for the same price as 7? A whole 8 days at sea? Brilliant! We have a friend who lives in Florida so we could fly out, stay with them, they could take us to the port the next day and then a flight from Barcelona to London is quick, easy and cheap. Why not?! So we’ve now got two cruises booked!!! We’ve just paid the deposit at the moment and will try to re-shop it on our Alaska cruise to see if we can get a better deal. If we find we can’t fit it in or probably should save our money for something else (like oh I don’t know, the house I’m trying to build!), we can cancel before our PIF date and not lose any money. Perfect logic…

I’ve just realised this has been a very wordy post, not much to do with our actual trip report so I’ll leave it there for now. We’ve passed the 75 day mark so look out for more posts in the coming weeks as we get ever closer to our cruise!!!!

Excited much?! :yay:

We walked around Vancouver and didn't use any transport at all.

To get to the suspention bridge we got the free shuttle from outside our hotel.

We walked around Vancouver and didn't use any transport at all.

To get to the suspention bridge we got the free shuttle from outside our hotel.

Brilliant, we're more than happy with walking. Every penny saved on our feet is another to spend with Disney!

Because it is Elle’s birthday the day we fly out to Vancouver we’re making this a bit of a celebration cruise! I can’t say too much on here because I suspect Elle may be snooping but I’ve contacted DCL and arranged for a little bit of pixie dust to be sprinkled in our room when we arrive. I’m also hoping to sweet talk the Virgin Atlantic check in staff and see if we can wangle an upgrade, or maybe access to their lounge…I know, it’s a long shot. But there’s no harm in asking politely!

I’m also going to order a cheeseboard and some wine for our stateroom from room service when we arrive. I’ve always wanted someone to do that for me! I recently read a thread on DCL room service – who knew there was so much you could order? We didn’t even approach it on our last cruise so will have to give it a go this time. It also sounds like a perfect excuse for us not to cancel our EBTA reservation…we need more time to sample the room service menu!!!

We have had one little hiccup during our cruise planning. As a silver CC member I know we can book excursions and Palo etc. 90 days out. Well I had a reminder in my calendar for June 19th and a week before realised that June 19th was only 75 days before our cruise. DCL hadn’t registered that we had previously sailed! Eeeek!

I called the UK number and the lady I spoke to was really helpful. She amended our booking there and then so that I could jump on in and book Palo. We’ve not done the brunch before so there was no way I was missing that baby! So, we now have Palo dinner & brunch booked. It took me forever to decide when to book each of these. The brunch was available on Tracy Arm day or the last sea day. We went for Tracy Arm at 10.30am. We’ll most likely try to change this once on-board though as we’d prefer the first sea day so we’re not too full for the Tracy Arm BBQ), however the sea day is sold out now.

Dinner is booked for the last night. Booking this reservation was like an army operation. Anyone who is OCD about planning like I am will love this next bit, it includes charts, highlighters, formulas, discovering new equations which could win me a Nobel prize…ok maybe that was a bit far! I printed off all of the menus for each MDR and themed night. I then read through them and marked off which items I would like and scored each menu on a “must do” and “happy to miss” basis. I must say, the Til We Meet Again menu didn’t appeal at all. Nor did Toy Story to be honest but I’ve never seen that menu so decided to keep it in.

The only thing I am disappointed with by going to Palo on the last night is missing the famous baked Alaska in the MDR! Can you tell I’m a dessert person?! But seriously, I can make baked Alaska at home so if we miss it, we miss it. As other’s have told me, we could always pop down to our MDR after Palo, if we can actually move, and try the baked Alaska.

Next up…my packing list. Yes you heard me, a packing list 70 days out!

Thats when we did Palo, brunch on Tracey Arm Day and Dinner on the last night.

Before I go too far, I must point out that I had surgery on my jaw last week and am having to take a few weeks off work. Why does this affect my TR you ask? Well, I am at home, bored out of my mind with nobody to talk to! So what else am I to do other than spend all day on the disboards and writing my pre-TR. You lucky things!

I’ll start with the first of my lists – what to pack!

In an effort to keep within our 23kg allowance with Virgin, I really do want to pack light. It’s hard when the weather can be so changeable in Vancouver/Alaska and I am usually a very warm blooded person. You know that crazy person who wears t-shirts in winter, yeah that’s me! So here we go, my packing list so far for the 7 night cruise and 3 days in Vancouver (plus 2 travel days), with the intention of doing NO LAUNDRY. Holidays weren’t made for doing laundry!

1. Jeans x 3
2. Leggings x 3
3. Smart/casual dresses (to go with leggings) x 3
4. Tops (short sleeve) x 3
5. Tops (long sleeve) x 2
6. Hoody
7. Caridgans/warm overwear x 2
8. Jogging bottoms (to mooch around the ship!)
9. Body warmer
10. Waterproof coat
11. Waterproof trousers
12. Fleece
13. Gilet (body warmer here in the UK)
14. Hat, scarf, gloves x 1 each
15. PJs
16. Formal dress (long but not poofy!)
17. Semi-formal dress (will also use for Palo dinner)
18. Trainers
19. Crocs pumps
20. Heels x 1
21. Winter boots (kind of like snow boots but smaller)
22. Swimming costume (just in case!)
23. Underwear x lots!
24. Socks (thick and thin)

Onto list number two – “other items”:

1. PnS camera
2. Video camera
3. DSLR camera
4. About a million memory cards
5. About a trillion batteries and chargers
6. Travel mug
7. Zip lock bags - always useful
8. Regular toiletries/necessities
9. Anything else I throw in on a whim when packing!

And the question on everyone’s mind – how on earth is this all going to fit in ONE case and not weigh more than 23kg?! With the help of some vacuum pack bags of course! Oh and taking a collapsible hold-all in the suitcase should we need it for additional items on the way home. Oh who am I kidding WHEN we need it for additional items. I’ve already scoured the Alaska TRs for gift shop photos and picked out what I want to buy. Is it just me or are the DCL Alaska Russian doll sets really cute?!

My next list (yes there’s another!) consists of items on my packing list which I do not actually have and therefore need to buy. Has anyone ever noticed how good wardrobes are at swallowing all your clothes right before going on a holiday, so you happen to have to go and buy more? There’s absolutely nothing in there that would work for your trip, no nothing at all…And even though the weather where you live is similar to where you’re travelling to, there is nothing appropriate in your wardrobe….just me?! Oh well.

Suffice to say I have plenty in my wardrobe but I’m going shopping anyway. I have to make sure I look good next to those characters on-board in their fashion forward Alaska outfits after all!

Hope your jaw gets better soon. I'm off work today as well with a twisted ankle.

I'm going to start this post by apologising to any readers I may have had for my pretty poor attempt at a pre-TR!

I could give you every excuse under the sun - I was recovering from surgery, work was manic, we had a bereavement in the family and now we have bought a puppy. But the truth is, I have just been a bit rubbish!

So now, not only have I written an update for you, I have also included pictures!!!

I know a lot of people on this sight are fond of planning, so I feel very comfortable in admitting to you all that I may suffer from obsessive planning disorder! I have file after file of information needed for the cruise, I check and double check the Virgin Atlantic website to make sure we have the best seats on the flight and I have pre-purchased tickets for several Vancouver attractions.

I have also stolen an idea from fellow DisBoarder AAshleySEG. I have bought a little notebook so that I can try to document the trip. Not just to help write a TR afterwards but to also help me remember the trip in the future, when I want to look back on the adventures I had when I was young.

I've been going a little shopping crazy in the last couple of months to try an keep me busy until the cruise. I have bought a new winter coat which is wind, water and just about everything else proof. Now I am from the UK and I am generally a hot person so I am not convinced I am going to be as cold as previous reports may suggest. I am not entirely sure whether I will get to wear it much. Not to worry, we have a short trip to Iceland booked for March and I KNOW it will be pretty darn cold there!

I also have new waterproof trainers. again, I toyed with the idea of getting proper winter boots but just didn't think they would be necessary. So I went for trainers which would hold up better than my Nike running trainers in the wet ports of call.

What else? oh I've spent a small fortune on clothes which I don't need but somehow managed to justify buying!

The best thing I have done (and when I say me, I mean the wonderfully talented DisBoard ladies who made them for me!) is make magnets for our door. They look brilliant!

Well that's it for now. I will post an update later in the week once I get my hands on those cruise documents!

Clearly I haven't managed the art of posting photos...here they are again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter