The Alaskan Jewel! Welcome Aboard….You don’t Exist!

It really was one of the best trips ever. Yes we had bad stuff but the destination totally made up for it.
I would love to do a Star Wars cruise, but I just don't have the extra money. Let me know what special things they do.

We got lucky - we rebooked on board 2 years ago, picked our date in November 2014, and got the e-mail last January/Feb about the SW days. Talk about excited when we got that e-mail. Our room has gone up around $2000 for a 9C since then. Now i just have to figure out how to hide a light saber and Darth Vader costume in our suitcases.

We told DS on April 1 last year about the SWDAS. He thinks we did an April Fools joke on him, but he'll find out in 3 weeks that we were actually telling the truth!

Hey Jen!

I got too busy to check in on this report though I knew it was nearing its end. Maybe that is why I stopped looking in as I hate endings :guilty:

But it looks like you had a good last dinner and am glad you liked NCL enough to give it another try. It is nice they are at least giving you future OBC.

Have fun on your "educational" trip coming up. If you do a TR I will read but I fully understand not doing one with as much work as they are.

Hey Jen!

I got too busy to check in on this report though I knew it was nearing its end. Maybe that is why I stopped looking in as I hate endings :guilty:

But it looks like you had a good last dinner and am glad you liked NCL enough to give it another try. It is nice they are at least giving you future OBC.

Have fun on your "educational" trip coming up. If you do a TR I will read but I fully understand not doing one with as much work as they are.

I totally understand. I have been having a hard time getting here to read the ones i want to as well.

We got lucky - we rebooked on board 2 years ago, picked our date in November 2014, and got the e-mail last January/Feb about the SW days. Talk about excited when we got that e-mail. Our room has gone up around $2000 for a 9C since then. Now i just have to figure out how to hide a light saber and Darth Vader costume in our suitcases.

We told DS on April 1 last year about the SWDAS. He thinks we did an April Fools joke on him, but he'll find out in 3 weeks that we were actually telling the truth!

Awesome. That will be so neat to see how he reacts

I was just checking in to see if you had any new trip report links in your signature 'cause I don't want to miss out on anything.

Hi Jen,

Just a quick update on the Star Wars days at sea - we had a blast overall! We told DS at the port about SWDAS, he was speechless!

They did the following:
-Episodes 1-6 were in the theaters every day leading up to Wednesday (the SW day)
-Episode 7 was shown as the show that night, in both theaters
-Character meets - you listed choices (1,2,3) in order of preference for 3 rooms - Tattooine, Bespin, and Dark Side. Sign up forms were in your cabin, and had to be turned in Sunday night to a box at guest services. Tickets were distributed on Tuesday. We got Tattooine and Dark Side. Chewbacca was in Tattooine, and Darth Vader in the Dark Side. I heard Darth Maul was in Bespin, but not sure. These meets were all in the adult clubs and well organized.
-Ships horn played the dark side march several times (announced on the navigator)
-Stormtroopers at the pool with Boba Fett - this was kind of lame, Boba Fett just hung above the stage on the funnel and pointed to people and said phrases, no real action.
-Guest speaker was Steve Sansweet - runs Rancho Obiwan, largest Star Wars memorabilia collection - was really neat
-Tons of costumes from the guests on the ship, and even some crew! Cruise director Darrin was dressed in an orange rebel fighter suit.
-Special dinner menu, and late night buffet after the show & fireworks.
-Show at 10:30 PM, we had a tough time seeing - too many adults with kids on their shoulders blocking other kids. Fireworks tonight (none on pirate night) synched to SW music. They were OK, not the best.

There were some other events too, costume contest, crafts in the clubs, etc… but we couldn't get to everything! And LOTS of special merchandise in the gift shops and for the movie snacks. Custom name tags, special Dooney & Burke purses (yes, i bought one!) and other great items! We spent a bunch on ship this year. Chewbacca, Boba Fett drink cups, and Han Solo carbonate and tie fighter popcorn buckets too.

Overall, we were fortunate we lucked into this trip, booking before prices went up. I'm not sure i'd pay the up charge just for this, unless you REALLY love events.

Hi Jen,

Just a quick update on the Star Wars days at sea - we had a blast overall! We told DS at the port about SWDAS, he was speechless!

They did the following:
-Episodes 1-6 were in the theaters every day leading up to Wednesday (the SW day)
-Episode 7 was shown as the show that night, in both theaters
-Character meets - you listed choices (1,2,3) in order of preference for 3 rooms - Tattooine, Bespin, and Dark Side. Sign up forms were in your cabin, and had to be turned in Sunday night to a box at guest services. Tickets were distributed on Tuesday. We got Tattooine and Dark Side. Chewbacca was in Tattooine, and Darth Vader in the Dark Side. I heard Darth Maul was in Bespin, but not sure. These meets were all in the adult clubs and well organized.
-Ships horn played the dark side march several times (announced on the navigator)
-Stormtroopers at the pool with Boba Fett - this was kind of lame, Boba Fett just hung above the stage on the funnel and pointed to people and said phrases, no real action.
-Guest speaker was Steve Sansweet - runs Rancho Obiwan, largest Star Wars memorabilia collection - was really neat
-Tons of costumes from the guests on the ship, and even some crew! Cruise director Darrin was dressed in an orange rebel fighter suit.
-Special dinner menu, and late night buffet after the show & fireworks.
-Show at 10:30 PM, we had a tough time seeing - too many adults with kids on their shoulders blocking other kids. Fireworks tonight (none on pirate night) synched to SW music. They were OK, not the best.

There were some other events too, costume contest, crafts in the clubs, etc… but we couldn't get to everything! And LOTS of special merchandise in the gift shops and for the movie snacks. Custom name tags, special Dooney & Burke purses (yes, i bought one!) and other great items! We spent a bunch on ship this year. Chewbacca, Boba Fett drink cups, and Han Solo carbonate and tie fighter popcorn buckets too.

Overall, we were fortunate we lucked into this trip, booking before prices went up. I'm not sure i'd pay the up charge just for this, unless you REALLY love events.

Great info. thanks for the run down! Sounds like a lot of fun. I have seen the star wars dooney. I came home with 2, but not a Star wars one. LOL

I was just checking in to see if you had any new trip report links in your signature 'cause I don't want to miss out on anything.

Not yet. I am still playing catch up and not doing so well. I think I am going to do it in parts and I am going to start with the cruise part...then Universal...then WDW . I thought it would be fun...at least for me to do little segments instead of one long one

Okay, I was finally able to catch up and finish your report :cool1:

First, I loved all of your outfits! I especially loved that cruise one, with the anchors and such. It was very flattering on you and you looked so good! I also loved the purple/periwinkle dress, so gorgeous :love:

I had to laugh at your family portraits, I know Skip is smiling or at least, trying to smile but he still looks a little grumpy :lmao: He reminds me of a cartoon character but I just can't think of who it is!!!

The puppies, dogs and Matt were all adorable :rolleyes:

Great spot you got for the glacier viewing, lucky you :D

This might be the best line ever...

There were a few tense moments over these stupid donuts….but life goes on.

:rotfl2::thumbsup2

I laugh (and want to smack him) when Skip just goes and does his own thing! I would kill Rob if he did that!!! I know you're used to him doing it and just roll with it but I might have divorced him long ago bahahahahahah!

I really would love to do an Alaskan cruise one day. Not because of the scenery (we are 45 minutes from that kind of scenery) but because of the weather!!! The thing I hate about cruises is that they are so hot and humid, I can't really enjoy anything outside. In Alaska, I could wear shorts and and tee like that one dude in your pics while Rob and Kira wore their winter jackets :p

One day when I win the lottery, I will be able to afford to do Alaska on DCL :rolleyes1 o_O

Glad you got to see Victoria, where I will live one day...perhaps after that lottery win I mentioned :rolleyes::flower:
Did you not get to see the wharf area, near the front of the parliament buildings? That is the beautiful, touristy spot! Beacon Hill park has some amazing trees as well as some crazy a$$ goats :rotfl2:

There's a tremendous place close to the terminal called Barb's, best fish and chips I have ever tasted! Butchart is nice but it's quite a drive from the terminal and you need lots of time to explore.

I had to laugh at your last breakfast pic...you said something like...my usual breakfast but you had like 28 hashbrowns on your plate this time :rotfl:

Glad you enjoyed your cruise despite the whole lost reservation fiasco!

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us, it was fun to tag along with you!

Can't wait to read all about your February trip :teeth: :rolleyes1:thumbsup2

I also wanted to mention that I laughed out loud, even snorted once, at your towel 'animals'.

Seriously NCL??? Are you TRYING to scare your passengers? :rolleyes2 :eek::rotfl2:

Okay, I was finally able to catch up and finish your report :cool1:

yay!

First, I loved all of your outfits! I especially loved that cruise one, with the anchors and such. It was very flattering on you and you looked so good! I also loved the purple/periwinkle dress, so gorgeous :love:

I wore that shirt on our cruise too. I love that shirt!

I had to laugh at your family portraits, I know Skip is smiling or at least, trying to smile but he still looks a little grumpy :lmao: He reminds me of a cartoon character but I just can't think of who it is!!!

That is NOT his normal smile. I have no idea what he was doing but he looks creepy in most of them. ....Probably some crazy character.

The puppies, dogs and Matt were all adorable :rolleyes:

Yes they were!

Great spot you got for the glacier viewing, lucky you :D

We really lucked out on that. It would be hard to go back and not have a suite..even just our penthouse suite, but I would do inside if I could get back there sooner.

There were a few tense moments over these stupid donuts….but life goes on.

:rotfl2::thumbsup2

I can't even remember where I said that. I'll have to go reread my report. hahaha.

I laugh (and want to smack him) when Skip just goes and does his own thing! I would kill Rob if he did that!!! I know you're used to him doing it and just roll with it but I might have divorced him long ago bahahahahahah!

It drives me insane. If he just left a note in the room or something then I would know where to find him. I like my alone time too but I come back and check. I hate spending time looking for him when we could be doing something else instead.

I really would love to do an Alaskan cruise one day. Not because of the scenery (we are 45 minutes from that kind of scenery) but because of the weather!!! The thing I hate about cruises is that they are so hot and humid, I can't really enjoy anything outside. In Alaska, I could wear shorts and and tee like that one dude in your pics while Rob and Kira wore their winter jackets :p

Well our last cruise was very similar in weather...maybe even colder. hahaha.

One day when I win the lottery, I will be able to afford to do Alaska on DCL :rolleyes1 o_O

me and you both!!!

I had to laugh at your last breakfast pic...you said something like...my usual breakfast but you had like 28 hashbrowns on your plate this time :rotfl:

Well I do love the hashbrowns. I just usually ate half of them before I took the picture. hahaha.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise despite the whole lost reservation fiasco!

It was great. I am one who tries to make things work out even when things go wrong...I try.... If I had dwelled on that then the whole vacation would've been ruined. Mistakes happen and though I was steaming at the moment the rest of the trip more than made up for it.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us, it was fun to tag along with you!

And you know I love it when you tag along!!

Can't wait to read all about your February trip :teeth: :rolleyes1:thumbsup2

heeheehee. I am trying to get a couple of days worth of cruise pictures edited and then I think I will start with the cruise portion. Then go back and do Universal...then Disney. I figure by breaking it up I will feel less pressure on myself. I think I took less pictures than normal on the cruise so I hopefully can get those edited and ready to go.

I also wanted to mention that I laughed out loud, even snorted once, at your towel 'animals'.

Seriously NCL??? Are you TRYING to scare your passengers? :rolleyes2 :eek::rotfl2:

hahaha! I am pretty sure we were playing the "what is that?" game a lot.
I do love it when you snort though!

Wonderful report. I'm glad that you didn't let the hiccup with the reservation ruin the entire trip...and were able to have a great vacation. I love seeing people falling in love with Alaska, I'd do that trip every year if I had the opportunity. We're going again next year.in an aft facing mini suite. ..lol. It is very different from the caribbean or the Mediterranean..but in a great way.

Last edited:
Wonderful report. I'm glad that you didn't let the hiccup with the reservation ruin the entire trip...and were able to have a great vacation. I love seeing people falling in love with Alaska, I'd do that trip every year if I had the opportunity. We're going again next year.in an aft facing mini suite. ..lol. It is very different from the caribbean or the Mediterranean..but in a great way.

Thanks for reading. it was fabulous! I can't wait to cruise again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter