The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I’ve got a bunch of shows coming up in December!

&Juliet
Death of a salesman
Merrily we roll along
Wicked (my daughters big holiday gift!)

Oh and I forgot I have the sound of music at papermill play house!

I’m excited!

Last edited:
Has anyone else seen the Broadway Rising documentary? I saw it on Monday in the theaters and it was so moving. It talks about the impact of COVID and coming back and I laughed and cried and I felt all the emotions!

I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't going to make it up to New York to see "Into the Woods" with Stephanie J Block and Sebastian Arcelus, and then they announced it was going on tour with them, and first stop was the Kennedy Center! Got my ticket this morning - I cannot wait!

Also, exciting to hear that "Once Upon a One More Time" is transferring - it was frothy but fun at Shakespeare Theatre here in DC. I really liked it. Hoping for a cast recording from Broadway!

Has anyone seen &Juliet yet? What did you think of it?
Back to report!

Well that was interesting, I didn’t hate it, but it could have used some tightening, the book wasn’t great. I get it you’re a feminist you don’t need to tell me you’re empowering women so many times. Plus if you need to tell me are you even doing your job?

I did love the music, and laughed a lot. I thought Stark Sands and the whole cast were really good! I struggle with shows for my 8 year old to see, and I think she would enjoy this one and it wasn’t so inappropriate I couldn’t bring her.

It is jukebox musical through and through, and they didn’t try to make it something it wasn’t (for the most part) which I appreciated. If you enjoy the music you’ll have fun, but if your going for Shakespears or anything serious skip this one.

Also lots of people singing along (low) and other people shushing which was more distracting than the singing. The seats in front of us were empty and the woman next to me put her feet over the seats, which really bothered me this isn’t your house! So gross and rude!

Back to report!

Well that was interesting, I didn’t hate it, but it could have used some tightening, the book wasn’t great. I get it you’re a feminist you don’t need to tell me you’re empowering women so many times. Plus if you need to tell me are you even doing your job?

I did love the music, and laughed a lot. I thought Stark Sands and the whole cast were really good! I struggle with shows for my 8 year old to see, and I think she would enjoy this one and it wasn’t so inappropriate I couldn’t bring her.

It is jukebox musical through and through, and they didn’t try to make it something it wasn’t (for the most part) which I appreciated. If you enjoy the music you’ll have fun, but if your going for Shakespears or anything serious skip this one.

Also lots of people singing along (low) and other people shushing which was more distracting than the singing. The seats in front of us were empty and the woman next to me put her feet over the seats, which really bothered me this isn’t your house! So gross and rude!

Thanks for the update. :) I haven't seen it. A friend in Melbourne, Australia asked about it as it going to be touring down there. She is wondering whether to get tickets for it.

Does anyone know if the “SOGOOD” promo code for A Beautiful Noose the Neil Diamond musical works on weekends (I hate that shows don’t use the discount codes for weekends btw)

To make a very lss: parents-especially mom-is a huge Neil Diamond fan and we’ve had issues with family and friends not thinking of her.

Trying to see this show especially in a post covid show is hard between prices and everything else.

If anyone knows of any other discount codes please let me know

UPDATE: never mind we figured it out

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the “SOGOOD” promo code for A Beautiful Noose the Neil Diamond musical works on weekends (I hate that shows don’t use the discount codes for weekends btw)

To make a very lss: parents-especially mom-is a huge Neil Diamond fan and we’ve had issues with family and friends not thinking of her.

Trying to see this show especially in a post covid show is hard between prices and everything else.

If anyone knows of any other discount codes please let me know

UPDATE: never mind we figured it out
I was going to say today tix has decent pricing, but I see you figured it out yet.

You should always check today tix, sometimes they let you select seats (not for this show)! I know I hate not knowing where I am sitting!
Oh 100% I hate not knowing where I am sitting (though I’ve been very lucky with TdF.

My dad is a very tall man and I’ve been in this theatre-very cramped seats. So aisles are needed.

Saw death of a salesman yesterday, I hadn’t seen it before and I was blown away.

Wendell Pierce I do not have words. I was so moved.

It was long and I ended up going solo, but I am so happy I saw this production.

Last edited:
We spent Thanksgiving week in NYC. Here's my take on the shows we saw:

Into the Woods - Amazing! We saw Brian d'Arcy James as the Baker. Stephanie J. Block was off that day so Baker's Wife was an understudy who was awesome! Patina Miller rocked it as the Witch! There was not a weak link in the cast and the production, although very simply staged, was perfect.

Take Me Out - We see very few plays, but this one was too good to pass up. Jesse Williams (from Grey's Anatomy) and Jesse Tyler Ferguson were both perfectly cast in their roles. The story (about a major league baseball player coming out as gay and the resulting impact on him and his team) is complex and neatly woven with a few twists and turns along the way. If you've never heard of this show, there is full nudity in a few locker room and shower scenes. We knew to expect it but a woman behind us audibly gasped when it first happened. Audience members had to lock their phones in pouches which were unlocked after the show. They don't want rogue pictures or videos out there!

Beetlejuice - Our son (musical theater aficionado and professional actor) has been dreaming about seeing Alex Brightman as Beetlejuice before he leaves the role in January. The tickets were cost prohibitive before the trip, but we found an acceptable price two days before the show. As expected, the show is great. Brightman is the master of the creepy voice and the role was literally made for him. There's no great substance to the story. It's just a very fun and enjoyable show. The effects and staging really stood out.

Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular - Although it's not Broadway, it's a show so I'll review it here. While entertaining, I have to say this show was a bit of a disappointment. The Rockettes are amazing and the choreography is great. That aspect did not disappoint. However the show, as a whole, came across as kind of cheesy. I understand that it's a family show. They have to have Santa and his elves and cute little skits, but they went on a bit too long. It was a fun show, but I don't really feel compelled to see it again.

That's my report! We hope to go back in the summer and see more shows!

Saw Merrily We Roll Along last night, wow just wow can Lindsay Mendez sing! Also I think I forgot how much Jonathan Groff spits when he sings but his voice and talent are amazing! Honestly the whole cast was amazing.

I am so Happy I saw this off Broadway. I am a most likely to see it again when it transfers but the spring line up looks good so we will see about that.

I do hope it goes to a smaller theater the small stage really worked well.

Happy holidays everyone!

So random, but since I saw Merrily last night I’ve run into two of the cast members!

One in the parking garage not that odd as it was shortly after the show.

However the other was this morning at the diner getting breakfast with my family! His partner is in the sound of music at Papermill (I live very close to the papermill theater)

We spent Thanksgiving week in NYC. Here's my take on the shows we saw:

Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular - Although it's not Broadway, it's a show so I'll review it here. While entertaining, I have to say this show was a bit of a disappointment. The Rockettes are amazing and the choreography is great. That aspect did not disappoint. However the show, as a whole, came across as kind of cheesy. I understand that it's a family show. They have to have Santa and his elves and cute little skits, but they went on a bit too long. It was a fun show, but I don't really feel compelled to see it again.

That's my report! We hope to go back in the summer and see more shows!
I heard that's a very fast moving show. DS is a professional musician in NYC and has played that several times. He says the time goes by very fast. Those girls must get tired!

Saw The Piano Lesson last night. Wonderfully acted and staged. Samuel Jackson was really good (and no F words 🤣). John David is really coming into his own.

Crazy pedestrian and automobile traffic in the city, which resulted in soooo many guests arriving really late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter