The DarkSide's not so Dark after all....

Signing on! We had our first trip to the dark side last year and had a blast! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Great TR! My family has a trip planned in June. It will be VERY different from yours in respect to crowds, but I am enjoying reading all of your experiences! Thanks for sharing with us!

Kim

What a great TR so far! What a cute family :)

I'm so glad I found this...In two weeks, we're going to Universal for the first time, staying at Portofino for five nights. Very excited!

Another great addition to your TR, C!:thumbsup2 I am loving the attention to detail. Hopefully some of those "Negative Nellies" will get a chance to see what a great time can be had when you think outside the box. ;)

I can't wait to read more!!

What a great TR so far! What a cute family :)

I'm so glad I found this...In two weeks, we're going to Universal for the first time, staying at Portofino for five nights. Very excited!

Enjoy it! We did 4 - one more night would have been perfect, I think. Of course, I'm saying this in the middle of an ice storm, trying to get the rest of Day One finished..........:surfweb:

Another great addition to your TR, C!:thumbsup2 I am loving the attention to detail. Hopefully some of those "Negative Nellies" will get a chance to see what a great time can be had when you think outside the box. ;)

I can't wait to read more!!

My favorite prof. used to say: "boxes are for shoes, not thoughts and ideas..!"

I'm so enjoying this TR... It's makes my commute go by so much faster :) thanks so much for sharing.

The power's back on after such a fun ice storm. So...:

Pool Time, Quiet Time, HRH, and Dinner at The Kitchen!

We decided to take the walking path back to PBH. It's very easy to find, just to the right of the US entrance. Beautifully landscaped and maintained, it's about a 15 minute or so walk back to the hotel and takes you past HRH and along the canal. Not dissimilar in length to the walk from DHS to BWI, or maybe BC. It is much prettier, however, with the butterfly garden a nice touch. We counted 4 different varieties flying around the flowers. I have to give kudos here to Universal. They've done an outstanding job of creating an immersive feel when you stay on-site - even with a relatively small footprint to deal with. It's not something I expected after studying the Google Map images, and I was a bit concerned. However, we felt completely separated from the outside world the entire trip - not unlike staying in the Epcot/DHS WDW resorts. Their resort and landscape architects are world class. That's praise I don't throw around lightly.

The Pool

We give Stormalong Bay 4 ½ stars and the BW pool 4. PBH gets 3 ½. It has a sandy zero entry, a very nice kiddie pool with play fountains, and a well-architected water slide with good speed - but its not a long ride. The pool itself is large and has a nice layout with plenty of chairs. The pool towels, however, get 5 stars (as do those at HRH).

Last year, the kids just about wore out the BW slide their favorite part of staying at BWV. Once I got over my clown fear (and got comfortable watching a giant Clown Head continually vomit children into the pool), it was great fun. They did less sliding this time, but enjoyed the pool part more. It seemed the sand and zero entry made it a lot of fun for the 2 of them and the friends they made to run in and out, play Marco Polo, etc.

They also have a nice, covered, poolside bar - Splendido's. The signature drinks are expensive: $12-15.00. But, they have a nice deal where, if you buy the signature glass for an extra couple of bucks and re-use it during your stay, its only $10.00 for each additional drink. Btw, we found the pours to be above average at all of the resorts (esp. the HRH Pool) much more so than we've experienced at WDW, so there's good value to the high price and you tend to order fewer. To be blunt, like you should expect at a deluxe hotel. The bartender was good- very pleasant, and had been working there for 6-7 years. Much of the staff throughout the resorts and resort restaurants seemed to have been there for a bit, which is usually a positive.

Quiet Time

We went back to shower and give DW and the kids a little nap time. I went for a look at the rest of the resort and maybe a get a chance to talk to some of the resort TMs. Plus, I had to see if I'd broken the key to the layout. I did find the Bocce Lawn, quiet pool, Bice, and the Convention Center. I noticed good amounts of open, well landscaped space, with nice little plazas hidden about. The ground-level rooms at the back (still 3rd floor, but ground floor on that side) have patios that open to these. We found each of the 3 resorts has a unique feel. It seems to me that PBH is a good choice if you want some quiet and separation. The layout would seem to support that even during the busier season.

I had to throw in this picture.

Since DW got us a great deal for 2 connecting rooms, this is the very first time the boys haven't shared a bed on vacation. You think they'd be ecstatic! Instead, what does DS8 do for his nap.. ? Leave his own bed and contort into the chair- looks comfy!

If any of you ever figure out kids, send me a PM...

We get ready and head out for a look at HRH before dinner at The Kitchen. We made the 8pm reservation through the PBH Concierge and this is where we found out about Opentable.com since the Concierge said just a second while I log on to it. We checked it ourselves, and the options she gave us were exactly what we found on-line. It was nice to know and we used it the rest of the trip. We took the shortcut at the top of the hill and crossed the road to HRH - very easy and about a 5 minute walk.

DS10 loved the fountain - I wish we could have captured how the lighting throws a "shadow show" against the front facade.

HRH lives up to its reputation of having an energetic vibe. It was fun and upbeat while not nearly as edgy or adult as the HR in Vegas, but still full of R&R memorabilia and music, with more families about than at PBH. They even had Guitar Hero set up at gaming terminals for anyone to play: just down the marble stairs to the pool and The Kitchen. Visiting the resorts, HRH and RPH seemed to be the ones of choice for the tour groups that were staying on-site, while the conventioneers seemed to be at PBH. I'm not sure if its always the case this time of year or just what we observed. The Velvet Lounge looked like a fun place to hang out - music was scheduled for later that evening.

The Kitchen.
DW and I have eaten at more than a few Hard Rocks over the years while on business or vacation (pre-kids). They can be fun, but I can't say I've been overwhelmed by the food. To be fair, I'm not sure any theme-focused restaurant chain really has. The Kitchen, however, really shined. It's not a Hard Rock Café. It still has a fun atmosphere, but seems to have more of a "food focus". The menu is diverse, but not huge and overwhelming. They also seem to change it up regularly which is usually a sign there's a chef who cares and/or is allowed to care. It's very family friendly and the open kitchen is a nice touch.

We were early for the ressie, and were seated promptly at one of the semi-circular booths. The restaurant seemed about 2/3 full. The bread (good) followed the menus quickly and drink orders were taken. Then, the boys saw alligator tail on the menu as an appetizer. DW raised an eyebrow, which is probably why they really wanted it. We ordered it I mean, it is Fla., right? It was very good: quick fried, not dry and the sweet potato chips were house-made. I've had alligator before and its definitely not on my last meal bucket list. So, don't laugh when I give it 4 stars (for 'gator ). We also ordered the empanadas so DW could participate (3 ½ stars). In whatever form: alive, dead, cooked, DW has a strict "no reptile" rule.

Per the picture, you can see the boys ordered the Kitchen Burger. It's big. They have a Man vs. Food fixation. They loved it - 5 stars from the boys. We gave it a taste and the ingredients were fresh, the bun good - as were the accompaniments. DW liked the fried deli pickle very much. I'd put it at 3 ½ stars (you need house ground beef, hand pattied with a wood fired grill if you want to sniff 4 stars or above - house rule).

DW had the Seared Ahi Tuna Steak with Stir-Fry Vegetables, Jasmine Rice and Soy Barbeque Sauce. She ordered it rare, and it was, still with a deep sear. The stir-fry and rice were nicely prepared (4 ½ stars).

I had the Corvina with Corn and Leek Cream, Risotto, and Asparagus. Corvina is in the same family as Croaker and Drum a little less oily than croaker. It was excellent - the best entrée I had this trip fresh and cooked perfectly. Good fish is something we take for granted (were kinda surrounded by them), so I rarely order it when we go out. It gets 4 ½ stars. For this night, our entrees were at the Flying Fish/BlueZoo level (and $10-12 cheaper). It really kind of surprised us - we hadn't done much research on the place, so didn't know what to expect.

Our waiter (Brian) seemed to think it was a really funny idea to bring out the dessert tray after we asked him not to. They have these dessert "shooters" that make it seem like "you're barely ordering anything!" (his words). We ordered 3 to split a strawberry shortcake, crème brulee and peanut butter cup. It's a neat presentation and they do seem small next to the 2 lb piece of cake on the tray (That is not an exaggeration its part of some sort of food challenge "thing" that includes the Kitchen Burger.) DW and the kids say 4 stars for the "shooters". I'll take their word for it.

We took the long walk back to the hotel since it seemed to be clearing...

One note before I leave it here: DW and I had planned to do a Parents Night Out the next evening and had made reservations for both boys at the Kids Club. Last year, we used the Kids Club at BC. The boys loved it (almost as much as we did ;)). In the off-season, the Uni Kids Clubs rotate between the 3 Resorts. For our stay, HRH had the duty. It's just down the hall, past the bathrooms, outside of The Kitchen. During dinner, each of us took the time to head over and check it out, since it was just down from the restrooms. We had a long talk after we got back to PBH and the boys were in bed. We decided to cancel.

There was nothing wrong with The HRH Kids Club. It just seemed more geared to kids under the age of 8. And for me, I could still hear a lot of the fun going on just up the hall - folks heading to the pool, Guitar Hero, etc. If I had been the boys, I would have "wanted to be out there and not in here", if that makes sense. If our stay had been longer (like last year) and the boys were at the point in the trip where they needed down time: no prob. Trust me, when they're older, I will find the right time to let them know what we gave up (Tchoup Chop included).

Instead, we decided to use the funds we'd budgeted for something none of us had done----- The Blue Man Group.

Oh, and for those of you who are part of the "north of 50" crowd like me - check out the photos they have up around the phones outside of the restrooms. They're all of recent bands that have played/stayed at HRH. You'll feel younger and in better shape immediately! Apologies to Eddie Money, Quiet Riot...Huey Lewis and the News...Loverboy (still trying to rock that silk bandana while pushing 60 :thumbsup2 I mean, come on...)

On Deck---Day Two: Universal Studios and Those Blue Guys...

Love! Love! Love your trip report! I am so glad you went to BMG. I am hoping you loved it as much as I do. Looking forward to reading the rest of your report.

Everyone - thanks very much for the kind words on the TR. When I promised to do this because of the help many of you gave pre-trip, I didn't know what to expect or where it would go.

I highly recommend considering doing one, if you get the chance. I'm really enjoying it. It's great medicine for the "Post-Trip Blues": re-living and remembering a great time while it's fresh.

Quite honestly, I was so exhausted after our 9 night Disney trip last year (DW would say that's because I'm a "planner") I don't think I even logged on Dis for 3-4 months.

Not the case this time, so I'm happy to keep it going..:)

Another great addition!:thumbsup2 As many times as we've visited Universal we had never seen BMG until our stay last September. We were all like, "I can't believe we have never done this!". Hopefully you found it enjoyable.

Can't wait to read more!

Day Two: Universal Studios and Those “Blue Guys”..

We followed our normal routine – me hitting Sal’s early for light stuff, fresh squeezed OJ and fuel, with the rest of the family getting another hour of rack time. Again, the Starbuck’s coffee didn’t seem to have that “burnt” thing going on. For you Big S Groupies, have they changed things up with the roast? If they have, I like it better. For today, we had a high forecast of 68 degrees, partly cloudy, with light winds. US opens at 9am, so we headed for the 8:30am boat but just miss it.

Very nice of the seagulls to cooperate with DW and reorganize by tallest birds in the back for her photo.

No problem! “Let’s take the shortcut through HRH and walk to US” It was a less popular suggestion than I expected (but I didn’t want to be too far behind the crowd lining up for Despicable Me). It ended up being a good compromise, however. After we cut through HRH, we got to the boat dock to re-join the walking path just as the HRH boat was pulling in. If you’re running late and miss the boat from PBH, you can often end up catching the HRH boat if you take the shortcut and save 10 minutes from walking. It happened to us twice, and I can see it as a plus on hot days.

Universal Studios

PhotConnect photogs are at the entrance

I think we’re in a very small minority. DHS is close to the boys’ favorite Park in WDW. They love all of the rides, shows and the atmosphere (I think they could do Star Tours continually for a half day and IJSS is their favorite WDW show). The Brown Derby is the restaurant they rank highest (followed closely by Flying Fish, Sanaa and CG). DW and I were very interested to see what they thought of US. We were through the gates at 8:54am.

As we’re heading to DM for our first ride, both boys see the huge BMG billboard. We had reserved our seats, but hadn’t told them we were going and planned to keep it a surprise right up until we arrived at the theatre entrance that evening. “Those Blue Guys are creepy!” , says DS8. “Yeah, what’s that all about?” says DS10. DW just about choked on her Starbucks Grande Latte (with 3 Splendas). To their credit, they did ask if she was okay.

Despicable Me

This is another example of how EP is a benefit, even on lower-crowd days. The DM line fills up quickly at Park opening – just as many have said. We cruised through the EP Line and were able to get lined up as part of the first group to enter the pre-show room . It took them a little while to move us in there, so we were able to see much of the videos (hilarious safety film!)and check out the paintings in the first room. FUN Queue! The paintings are hilarious and there are neat little details, like the crayon drawings on the walls. We head into the pre-show room. The film is very funny and I WANT one of the flat screens they’ve incorporated as the “Control Room Window” - lifelike clear. They even distracted me from Steve Carrell’s beyond horrible Russian (Bulgarian/Armenian/Martian) accent. I’m a big fan of his, but ouch! It’s a bit painful- to me anyway. Well, the movie’s over, but the doors don’t open. Ride’s not working, it seems. A very nice and perky TM comes out of the side door and explains it might be just awhile before we can go in. She’s very young and by herself. For the next 15 minutes, she engages the whole group in “Minion Says” , followed by “Where are you From”, and a couple more rounds of “Minion Says”. I’ve got to hand it to her, she was proactive and kept all of the kids entertained – excellent job! A Dad from the UK next to me I was talking to (great guy from Bolton- he and his family were on the boat with us back to PBH after BMG) had just leaned over and whispered “If I give her a 100 pounds, do you think she’ll stop…?” when another TM came in with thumbs up and the doors opened.

The kids loved the movies (DW and I found the first one very entertaining. The second :confused3 ). All of us had a blast on the ride. The storyline flows nicely from the queue, through pre-show, to the ride. The effects were awesome, with the seat movement right in line with what’s on the screen. We were in the very first row. I enjoyed it more when seated further back, on our other times. Too up front, the effects seemed a bit more above you. For DS10, DM ended up in his “top 5 rides”.

Back to the benefits of EP during low times: while we were in the Pre-show, the impromptu “Minion Says” and riding, the Standby Wait had climbed to 50 minutes when we exited (around 9:38am). The amount of time it was down did bad things to the wait . We saw standby times in the 70’s and up to 90 during the day. We never waited more than 24 minutes on our subsequent times. Without EP, we would have only ridden once.

Shrek

Right across the street from DM, we hit it just before the door closed for the pre-show. It has a funny, if very corny, preshow that doesn’t necessarily “flow” with the movie. The movie itself was non-stop action with great 3-D effects, some 4-D “surprises”, and very funny. Did I say non-stop action? We enjoyed it, but it was a once a trip kind of enjoyment.

What the kids enjoyed even more:

That Donkey is Funny. This photo op is right outside the exit of the theatre. The Donkey speaks and had us rolling. He sounds just like Eddie Murphy. He and DS10 had a fun back and forth going. It’s neat that US has character spots like this as well as characters out on the streets – ole time Disney-esqe. If you have kids, I highly recommend doing it.

There’s a PhotoConnect photog, as well.

Rip Ride Rockit

DW and DS10 decided to sit this one out – seeing the 90 degree-perpendicular launch might have had something to do with it. DS8 and I used our EP’s, waited for the front, rode, and were back out in 11 minutes. It was my first time, as well. Outstanding coaster! I’d done the research on the hidden tracks. I don’t think there’s a better coaster experience than riding RRR in the front with Rush blasting Temples of Syrinx. DS8, on the other hand, alternated between Donna Summer and KC and the Sunshine band for his tunes – seems I need to have a long talk with DW.

DS8 begged to go again, so DW and DS10 quite happily headed off to the shops. We rode 4 more times in just at 30 minutes, trying out the other seating options. On one ride, (in the back) the speakers did not work for us. RRR is in a tie for DS8’s favorite ride of the trip.

Off to the Simpsons!

Btw, we found US to be very well-themed. Maybe it’s just us, but DW commented several times that she couldn’t quite understand why someone wouldn’t think so. We also loved the roaming characters: Doc was a funny man. He told the boys he was doing “research “ into sibling experiments and what favorite ones they tried on each other. DS8 was sporting a little “coaster hair” so Doc told DS10 it was obvious he was into the electrical variety! Great interaction.

BTTF is one of their favorite movies. It would be neat to see it re-incorporated again, somehow.

Everyone was up for a snack- why not LardLad Donuts?!!

We try very hard to limit sugar in our family. We don’t drink soda and try to limit sugar to special occasions to keep it a treat. Vacation is one of those special occasions. They’re very good. And were greatly enjoyed as you can see.

Springfield is very well-themed and full of great photo ops. We are a big Simpsons Family- the kids favorite show. We understand why it’s the longest running show on TV.

The Simpsons Ride

Probably the funniest ride we’ve ever been on. That’s from queue, to pre-show, and ride. You must ride it several times to catch all of the jokes and gags. I don’t think I noticed the baby powder smell in Maggie’s big scene until the third time. It was a family top 5. We rode it many times.

It’s warmed up enough that the boys are begging to try out the HRH pool. So, we decide to save MiB and the Mummy for when we return after nap time. We head for Transformers on the way out.

The kids had to try it.

The Flaming Moe (both boys want to know why it’s not the Flaming Homer, being big Simpsons fans. You other fans of the show know what I mean ;)) it is kind of a Ne-Hi Orange and Fresca combo with special effects. It is very sweet, btw. They loved it. I know: “weren’t you just saying you’re not a big sugar family??” Point taken. The boys are very disappointed I won’t try making this at home. Btw, the Duff’s Dry is a very good American Dry Stout. It’s well worth a try.

Transformers

I guess we may be in the minority, again. Our family is in 100% agreement in preferring Transformers over Spiderman. Spidey’s still a 4 ½ for us but Transformers gets fives all around. The pre-show video storylines seem to flow better and definitely built up the excitement for the boys. Btw, neither of them had been big Transformer kids, growing up. The ride effects are outstanding and it flows seamlessly from scene to scene. You truly feel part of it. So much so (and this really made the ride for me), at the end, when Optimus bends down and says “Well done, Freedom Fighters” BOTH boys said “thank you!” This was DW’s favorite ride and top 5 for all of us.

Another picture of Bumblebee.

Pictures don’t show how impressive these characters are, or how huge.

Looks like I’ll have to cut this day in two posts – I’m hitting size limits (and time limits)

On Deck: HRH Pool, a US evening, and “Those Blue Guys”

hint: BMG = awesome

Duplicate Post due to Timeout Message....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter