The DarkSide's not so Dark after all....

Ha...! I feel your pain! I think we "Planners" need our own support group- or maybe a special wing in the Betty Ford Clinic :goodvibes

We went back and forth on this, as well. I'd just remember that all three Resorts are going to be rockin' this summer with DA opening. If you've never been, the kids won't know what they've missed between the 2 and the ability to pool hop and resource share really makes a lot of it a non-issue. If it wasn't for that, we'd be more tempted to stay at HRH next time, even if it didn't quite fit what DW and I enjoy as much, just for the pool- since the pool is number one or 1a for the kids when it comes to accommodations.

Oh, and you're really going to love the no plan part once you're there. Although, I did catch myself reaching for my laminated touring plan a couple of times during the trip......;)

What!?!? .... No laminated touring plan? For shame!!! :rotfl2:

Thanks very much for the advice and taking the time; I will consult with my smarter half - who in all likelihood will sigh and shake her head at my torment before stating/asking the obvious, "Didn't we already make this decision?" :rolleyes1 :lmao:

In the end we will very likely stick with HRH ... but hey, if I'm not driving DW just a little crazy my VPOD (vacation planning obsessive disorder) - then I feel as if I'm doing a small disservice to married men everywhere. :cool2: ;) :)

Cheers,
Zebsterama

Great trip report!!

I have some questions from US newbie and WDW vet. I am probably going for my 50th birthday in January 2015. Never been to US before. Thinking of Jan 2 and 3 at Universal and 4-8 at WDW resort. Trying to figure out where to stay? Stay at Universal?? Then move to WDW on Sunday as the rates go down. Where to stay?? What kind of ticket? DA will be open and I guess we will need park to park passes? How about express passes?

Any suggestions? Our traveling party...Me age 50 Mom age 79 God daughter will be 20 and sis in law age 46. The girls are traveling probably by car from VA. Girls after Christmas trip.

Great trip report!!

I have some questions from US newbie and WDW vet. I am probably going for my 50th birthday in January 2015. Never been to US before. Thinking of Jan 2 and 3 at Universal and 4-8 at WDW resort. Trying to figure out where to stay? Stay at Universal?? Then move to WDW on Sunday as the rates go down. Where to stay?? What kind of ticket? DA will be open and I guess we will need park to park passes? How about express passes?

Any suggestions? Our traveling party...Me age 50 Mom age 79 God daughter will be 20 and sis in law age 46. The girls are traveling probably by car from VA. Girls after Christmas trip.

I see where you're coming from...

The Jan 2-3 is a Friday and Saturday, meaning everybody will still be on Holiday. So, those dates will still be max crowd level ones. With your Mom 79 (as will be mine in '15), Express Pass would look like just about a must- whether on or off-site, if she wants to see more than a couple of things before her stamina and the crowds make her call time out.

On-site would give you not only EP, but also Early Entry. Both very important things when the crowds are that high. The on-sites also have the boat service for transpo and just overall closeness (think BC/BWI closeness to EPCOT)

What I can't tell you is the difference in expense of on-site for those days versus what off-site plus the added expense of ExpressPass to your tickets would be. That's something I'm sure you'll look closely at.

You'll need Park to Park tickets to move between US/DA and IOA/WWoHP on the Hogwart's Express.

With my Mom, she'd rank it PBH, RPH and HRH in that order if the prices were equal.

Hope this helps, but toss any of these questions out in the forums and the "Big Guns" can really help you a lot :thumbsup2

What!?!? .... No laminated touring plan? For shame!!! :rotfl2:

Thanks very much for the advice and taking the time; I will consult with my smarter half - who in all likelihood will sigh and shake her head at my torment before stating/asking the obvious, "Didn't we already make this decision?" :rolleyes1 :lmao:

In the end we will very likely stick with HRH ... but hey, if I'm not driving DW just a little crazy my VPOD (vacation planning obsessive disorder) - then I feel as if I'm doing a small disservice to married men everywhere. :cool2: ;) :)

Cheers,
Zebsterama

Keep up the good work and I promise to hold up my end of the bargain on that as well...!;)

I see where you're coming from...

The Jan 2-3 is a Friday and Saturday, meaning everybody will still be on Holiday. So, those dates will still be max crowd level ones. With your Mom 79 (as will be mine in '15), Express Pass would look like just about a must- whether on or off-site, if she wants to see more than a couple of things before her stamina and the crowds make her call time out.

On-site would give you not only EP, but also Early Entry. Both very important things when the crowds are that high. The on-sites also have the boat service for transpo and just overall closeness (think BC/BWI closeness to EPCOT)

What I can't tell you is the difference in expense of on-site for those days versus what off-site plus the added expense of ExpressPass to your tickets would be. That's something I'm sure you'll look closely at.

You'll need Park to Park tickets to move between US/DA and IOA/WWoHP on the Hogwart's Express.

With my Mom, she'd rank it PBH, RPH and HRH in that order if the prices were equal.

Hope this helps, but toss any of these questions out in the forums and the "Big Guns" can really help you a lot :thumbsup2

Thanks for the help. This was what I was thinking.

Wow! What an awesome trip report. Had my two favorite things for a trip report: details and pictures. We have a reservation for first week of June at WDW, but are seriously considering changing our plan. This was a great source of information and I really appreciate you taking the time to write it. :goodvibes

Thank you so much. We are also planning a return to Florida and have decided to split the stay. The only dilemma is

Thank you so much. We are also planning a return to Florida for feb 2015 and have decided to split the stay. The only dilemma is how Long at WDW vs US. Based on your report and others, really thinking at least 3 nights & 4 days to enjoy it fully and justify the added expense. Kids have just entered he big thrill rides era (by then dd13, dd11, ds6) and with EP they can enjoy the rides while either DH or myself can shop with DS17 who is wheelchair bound but not spend hours waiting for them. Even though we love Disney, and own enough DVC to stay there the entire trip, it seems the time has come. Loved your review & will likely read several times before our actual trip to take notes.

Ps - sorry for the partial posting as I learn to use the iPad app

I'm late in coming to this report, but I wanted to chime in with a thank you! We're planning now and are considering... *gasp*.... a couple days at Universal. I know NOTHING about it so here I am trying to soak in as much as I can.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much. We are also planning a return to Florida for feb 2015 and have decided to split the stay. The only dilemma is how Long at WDW vs US. Based on your report and others, really thinking at least 3 nights & 4 days to enjoy it fully and justify the added expense. Kids have just entered he big thrill rides era (by then dd13, dd11, ds6) and with EP they can enjoy the rides while either DH or myself can shop with DS17 who is wheelchair bound but not spend hours waiting for them. Even though we love Disney, and own enough DVC to stay there the entire trip, it seems the time has come. Loved your review & will likely read several times before our actual trip to take notes.

Ps - sorry for the partial posting as I learn to use the iPad app

Ah, Apple technology strikes the TR one last time.... ;)

Seriously, Your kids are at a point they'll have a great time and EP really works to keep down the family separation. With DA opening, 3 days would be the absolute minimum for our family- to keep it in relax mode and not commando mode.

We love Disney too- and found out we can love both......

Thanks - not quite sure why quotations and apostrophes keep dropping out. Unfortunately, I can't blame it on Apple this time.....

This ALWAYS happens to me when I post updates from any word document i'm writing my report in to these boards! I have given up trying to fix it because it's too time consuming. Perhaps they should look at their software! Also I use a PC so I don't think it's got anything to do with Apple...

This ALWAYS happens to me when I post updates from any word document i'm writing my report in to these boards! I have given up trying to fix it *** it's too time consuming. Perhaps they should look at their software! Also I use a PC so I don't think it's got anything to do with Apple...

Ah, at least it isn't just me! And here I thought it must just be operator error (mine)......!

Fantastic report! Loved it! I loved your parental analogy RE the comparison between WDW and UO! It was gold! I'm not a parent but I really feel I understood and agreed with what you were saying. Personally, I have travelled to UO and WDW twice, DL Resort thrice and had one trip to Tokyo Disney. All the resorts have their merits (TDR is BEAUTIFUL beyond words, DL is quaint and nostalgic, UO fun and thrilling and WDW huge and resortish) but I find myself not being able to pick a favorite. That being said, DL and UO always seem to edge to the top of my favorite resort list because of their size, the ability to treat two parks as one easily and the feeling of being completely surrounded at all times by their magic (though WDW claims to do this by having such a big property with less 'real world' components leaking through I actually find it does the opposite for me in that I feel lost in a swap most of the time!)...Of course I also have an affinity with DLR as that was my first Disney Theme Park experience and it just conjures up those memories of wonder I first felt to discover how wonderful a theme park could truly be! Thanks for sharing your experiences. My husband and I have a trip planned for February next year for his birthday and it will be our first visit staying on property at Universal (Hard Rock Hotel hopefully - it's too early to book yet). In the past we've always stayed on WDW property when touring WDW and then at a generic hotel for the rest of our Orlando Trip but this time we are only visiting 2 WDW parks (since we are also visiting DLR in our trip) and we feel that Universal has more to offer right now....I really appreciated your info RE dining as that is one area at Universal I haven't had much experience with. Excited for all the new restaurants opening this year in Citywalk too! Anyway - sorry about the long ramble and thanks again :)

Fantastic report! Loved it! I loved your parental analogy RE the comparison between WDW and UO! It was gold! I'm not a parent but I really feel I understood and agreed with what you were saying. Personally, I have travelled to UO and WDW twice, DL Resort thrice and had one trip to Tokyo Disney. All the resorts have their merits (TDR is BEAUTIFUL beyond words, DL is quaint and nostalgic, UO fun and thrilling and WDW huge and resortish) but I find myself not being able to pick a favorite. That being said, DL and UO always seem to edge to the top of my favorite resort list because of their size, the ability to treat two parks as one easily and the feeling of being completely surrounded at all times by their magic (though WDW claims to do this by having such a big property with less 'real world' components leaking through I actually find it does the opposite for me in that I feel lost in a swap most of the time!)...Of course I also have an affinity with DLR as that was my first Disney Theme Park experience and it just conjures up those memories of wonder I first felt to discover how wonderful a theme park could truly be! Thanks for sharing your experiences. My husband and I have a trip planned for February next year for his birthday and it will be our first visit staying on property at Universal (Hard Rock Hotel hopefully - it's too early to book yet). In the past we've always stayed on WDW property when touring WDW and then at a generic hotel for the rest of our Orlando Trip but this time we are only visiting 2 WDW parks (since we are also visiting DLR in our trip) and we feel that Universal has more to offer right now....I really appreciated your info RE dining as that is one area at Universal I haven't had much experience with. Excited for all the new restaurants opening this year in Citywalk too! Anyway - sorry about the long ramble and thanks again :)

I absolutely agree that UO has a completely immersive feel to it. I also came back more relaxed than I expected. It would be similar to staying at BWI/BC/Swalphin while just doing DHS and EPCOT.

Loved your Trip of a Lifetime TR, btw! Japan is an amazing place. I lived there in the late 80's and enjoyed every minute of it......

I absolutely agree that UO has a completely immersive feel to it. I also came back more relaxed than I expected. It would be similar to staying at BWI/BC/Swalphin while just doing DHS and EPCOT.

Loved your Trip of a Lifetime TR, btw! Japan is an amazing place. I lived there in the late 80's and enjoyed every minute of it......

Thanks clsteve!! I loved writing that report :) Wow - living in Japan would have been amazing...I really want to go back and see more of Japan itself. Love the culture, the people, the food, everything really :love:

It's been awhile since I've been on the boards. We don't have another trip scheduled for a couple years and sometimes it brings me down knowing it's going to be awhile. Decided to check out the trip reports anyways and I'm so glad I did! Thank you for a great TR! It's like going back all over again seeing the excitement and enjoyment of others :) I'm also glad I found your TR once it was finished...I don't think I could have handled waiting for each installment. Glad your family had a great trip!!!

It's been awhile since I've been on the boards. We don't have another trip scheduled for a couple years and sometimes it brings me down knowing it's going to be awhile. Decided to check out the trip reports anyways and I'm so glad I did! Thank you for a great TR! It's like going back all over again seeing the excitement and enjoyment of others :) I'm also glad I found your TR once it was finished...I don't think I could have handled waiting for each installment. Glad your family had a great trip!!!

I'm so very glad you enjoyed it! And, I have to say, you have one of my favorite quotes in your sig line. The Good Doctor is very underrated......

A+. Outstaning trip report. I rarely read through an entire trip report, but i did this one. This is exactly what I was looking for too. Enjoyed the pics and it showed a lot of what we would like to see.

My DW and I are WDW/Disney fanatics. Been to WDW 8 times since 2004. Never been to Universal. Ever. But, we feel like WDW is kind of stagnant now with nothing overly exciting or new to make us want to go back right now. New fantasyland?ok, FP+? ugh, every increasing prices? You betcha.

We want to visit Universal on our next trip to Florida. Hopefully in 2015. It's going to be a much longer vacation that what you took AND after your report we are definitely staying onsite. Thanks again for the Trip Report.

PS. We're from Maine and are 100% with you on the Lobster comment.

A+. Outstaning trip report. I rarely read through an entire trip report, but i did this one. This is exactly what I was looking for too. Enjoyed the pics and it showed a lot of what we would like to see.

My DW and I are WDW/Disney fanatics. Been to WDW 8 times since 2004. Never been to Universal. Ever. But, we feel like WDW is kind of stagnant now with nothing overly exciting or new to make us want to go back right now. New fantasyland?ok, FP+? ugh, every increasing prices? You betcha.

We want to visit Universal on our next trip to Florida. Hopefully in 2015. It's going to be a much longer vacation that what you took AND after your report we are definitely staying onsite. Thanks again for the Trip Report.

PS. We're from Maine and are 100% with you on the Lobster comment.
Very glad I could help!

You'll love everything about the UO on-site experience! Plus a change can be a good thing for perspective.

Also, not once did I run into a $74.00, 6 day old, 1 1/4 lb lobster while at UO.... ;)

Great report! Can't wait for our split stay in September. We've never been to Universal and really excited now. Thanks so much!! :banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter