The Dirty Dozen – 12 Days of Disney, Drinks & Dining - Updated 2/26

And clearly I'm also a big fat liar because I partook of the Dole Whip Frozcato and loved every minute of it.
Ha! But really it doesn't count because there is alchol involved..

I sadly have to say that we may be festivaled out as the food has gotten more and more expensive but the quality is certainly trending in the other direction. We didn't love most of what we had, but the stand-out was the Pig Ear Salad from the Swanky Saucy Swine (say that 3 times fast).
Sad to hear about the food going down. It would be interesting to see how downhill / prices up it would need to go for people to stop going as much. Food & Wine gets so busy, it's def my least favorite festival at this point.

Think she may be the only woman he'd leave me for.
ha!

No not, dentists or rabbits or brown nosers as @buzzrelly guessed ( 😘 Kelly) Nope Casey did her old Disney soul proud by styling us all as Country Bears.
These costumes are AMAZING! Good idea Casey!

Lots of guests seemed confused by Mae West walking around with Abe Lincoln and an Amish girl, but cast members went wild for it.
Ha! At least someone got it.

So nice that you got down for a quick weekend!! Wish it wasn't so complicated to do that right now!!

And clearly I'm also a big fat liar because I partook of the Dole Whip Frozcato and loved every minute of it.

Hey drinks don't count...I get it! Looks delish!

Seriously this mocktail was one of the best things we drank all week.

Yum!!

Think she may be the only woman he'd leave me for.

Man...to each his own but...I can't imagine drinking a while cup of that stuff...

After a bit of a hiatus I'm finally happy to be back and not only read about your other trip but the quick weekend trip as well. I so want to do another weekend trip myself...but think I'll wait until the weather here in MD makes me want to escape again. The weather here right now is pretty good wouldn't you say? I love the country bears so so much so your costumes are so adorable! My kids won't step foot in Country Bears any more which makes me sad. I have to say I'm not totally surprised about your Food and Wine experience...I feel like it was like that when we went for Flower and Garden as well. Just nothing we really wanted to try there for the most part...so sad.

Well we may be trying to make our way into DC again this weekend. A good friend of my SIL who lives in NC lost her dad to COVID this year and there is a huge display of flags for all the people who have lost their lives in DC and I said I'd try to locate the flag she has there for her dad since she can't make it there herself. Of course I also have to make sure my metro card will still work since I have one of the ones this is being phased out according to a recent email.

First and foremost we got to stay at our beloved Wilderness Lodge and it was as amazing as we'd remembered.
Best resort on property but I might be biased. :0
We spent copious amounts of time at Geyser Point and enjoying their drinks both at the bar and poolside.
The best lounge on property, bar none! Did you have Rob or Crystal as your server?
But there were some other clear winners in the food department. We had dinner at Topolinos where we had one of the best Disney desserts we've ever had, the Pumpkin Mousse.
Looks great!
We also tried brunch at Wine Bar George and it was fantastic. Everything was delicious, but the stand-out was their marscapone french toast.
I would love that!
I didn't die. Now I couldn't eat an actual mushroom but the flavor with the truffles and creamy gnocchi disguised as "macaroni" was fantastic.
Mushroom is actually a good "unami" taste.
Casey also won the Citricos Drink Olympics with this perfect Purple Penguin "Zero Proof" Cocktail with pineapple, peach, lavender, lemon, and seltzer.
Perfect!
Lots of guests seemed confused by Mae West walking around with Abe Lincoln and an Amish girl, but cast members went wild for it.
Your costumes were over the top perfection!

Those costumes are amazing! I love them. I am with you on Wilderness Lodge, we love it so much we ended buy into Copper Creek several years ago and I couldn't be happier about it.

we loved it much more than I ever thought we would
That's so awesome!

For our entrees we were very boring and got two Cobb Salads to share.
Love the Cobb here.

First and foremost we got to stay at our beloved Wilderness Lodge and it was as amazing as we'd remembered.
We will be here on Wednesday and I cannot wait!!!!!

Jason surprised Casey and I with a day in Epcot where we got our Food and Wine on.
I heard about this. Jason is definitely a keeper. What a sweetheart!

Made all the more special while sipping some cocktails courtesy of a birthday gift from my wonderful friend @CruellaNY.
She's the best!!!

This is definitely a favorite of mine.

Nope Casey did her old Disney soul proud by styling us all as Country Bears.
You all looked amazing!!!!!

So happy you had a good trip! Your costumes are amazing. Casey is a genius!!! Hurrah for a surprise EPCOT day! I have not yet tried the pig ear salad but hope to next week. I have been lucky enough to visit a few times since the festival started (in July!!!) and I have to agree with you that so far I've found things kind of lackluster. No stand out items that I keep going back to like I've found in prior years. SO excited to hear how much you enjoyed Citrico's. We have an ADR there coming up and I have been eyeing the hamachi.

What an awesome long weekend trip. I love your Country Bears costumes! I was guessing that when I saw the picture but I wasn’t 100% sure!
We decided wearing actual bear costumes in September not our best idea, so figuring out what we were was certainly more of an art than a science :D

Your costumes were perfect. How wonderful and unique.
Thanks! We had a blast with them

How awesome!! I was so attached to Wishes that I never let myself fall in love with Happily Ever After, so I am really looking forward to the new fireworks show!! Let's be honest, any fireworks at all will have me bursting into tears on Main Street at this point.
I'm always just looking forward to something new so I'm excited for this one. HEA grew on me though. First time I saw it I was wondering why Disney felt the need to make up new music. But after watching it on so many live streams the last year I finally got it.

I love this so much!! Rob wouldn't even know where to begin to surprise me with anything Disney!! ...now that I think of it, I should make sure he has @CruellaNY 's number, so she can just do it for him if the mood ever strikes! :rotfl2:
He did this one all on this own believe it or not. I assume he just bought the tickets through Disney but who knows. I hadn't looked at our ticket page on our account so I was clueless.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:OMG I love that description!! Seriously though, Casey nailed this costume idea!! You guys look terrific!!!
Thank you!!!!! I was lobbying for being the family from Carousel of Progress but this ended up being perfect.

We will be checking into the WL on Sunday and looking forward to everything, especially Geyser Point. What did you think of the remodeled resort rooms?
Hey that's today. Have a wonderful time!!

I love, love, loved the new rooms. Kept the rustic charm but now with more modern touches. The beds were gret and the shower a welcomed change. And they really paid attention to the small things - like tables at the ends of the beds and hooks for towels or room under the bed for luggage. Let me know what you think though.

What did this taste like? It has a very unappealing name.
I know, right? It has central american flavors with lots of lime and corn and pickled onions so really just like pork is in the salad. I'd had pig ear one time before and it wasn't my favorite because it was so chewy (but this was the full on ear). I'm happy to report this one was tender so unless they told you it was ear you'd have no clue.

This drink looks good and the Penguin is cute. Did it come with the drink?
No, she didn't get it keep it but Jason found it on Amazon and we now have it at home.

We had a blast and then when we got home said son made more cocktails because Santa 🎅 was kind enough to buy him a cocktail making set and his lovely, intelligent, loves a drink or two mum was even kinder and bought the ingredients needed for just about every cocktail in the book🍸🥂🍷🍹🧉 :rotfl:
Perfection!!!!! Sounds like you two had a great joint birthday. Not gonna lie I am very much looking forward to the day when Casey gets to play bartender for us.

EEKKK!! that sounded like a FABULOUS trip to the WL - which I agree is the best resort!! (Even tho I might be a little bias since we own at CCV)...
You clearly spent your money wisely. It truly is an amazing resort. Are you getting to stay there next month???

Sad to hear about the food going down. It would be interesting to see how downhill / prices up it would need to go for people to stop going as much. Food & Wine gets so busy, it's def my least favorite festival at this point.
I definitely prefer Flower and Garden but at this point with essentially year long festivals it just isn't as special as it used to be.

These costumes are AMAZING! Good idea Casey!
Thank you!!! She did great!

So nice that you got down for a quick weekend!! Wish it wasn't so complicated to do that right now!!
I certainly feel for you all. I had no idea it was as complicated as it is to travel here.

Man...to each his own but...I can't imagine drinking a while cup of that stuff...
I'm with you. But he loves the stuff. When he ordered the Beverly drink the guy at the counter was actually trying to convince Jason not to order it :rotfl:

I so want to do another weekend trip myself...but think I'll wait until the weather here in MD makes me want to escape again. The weather here right now is pretty good wouldn't you say?
I so know what you mean. It certainly wasn't fun going into hotter weather. But since we got back you are so right our weather is divine. We went apple picking today and I'm actually sitting outside now sipping some wine and its perfection.

I love the country bears so so much so your costumes are so adorable! My kids won't step foot in Country Bears any more which makes me sad.
Thank you. I sure hope Casey never outgrows Country Bears. She has such an old Disney soul and loves all the retro rides. I cannot fathom if she would ever outgrow it.

have to say I'm not totally surprised about your Food and Wine experience...I feel like it was like that when we went for Flower and Garden as well.
Maybe it was because we had just done Flower and Garden but the year round festivals certainly don't have the allure that they once did

Well we may be trying to make our way into DC again this weekend. A good friend of my SIL who lives in NC lost her dad to COVID this year and there is a huge display of flags for all the people who have lost their lives in DC and I said I'd try to locate the flag she has there for her dad since she can't make it there herself.
I'm so sorry to hear that but hope you were able to get down there. I saw it on the news and it looks like beautiful way to remember so many people.

Best resort on property but I might be biased. :0
Not biased at all. Just a sign that we share tremendous taste.

The best lounge on property, bar none! Did you have Rob or Crystal as your server?
I don't think we did. Our service was fine, but nothing memorable.

Mushroom is actually a good "unami" taste.
No mushroom is just a mushroom taste and one that I do not like :earboy2:

Those costumes are amazing! I love them. I am with you on Wilderness Lodge, we love it so much we ended buy into Copper Creek several years ago and I couldn't be happier about it.
Thank you! It had been 5 years since Casey and Jason had stayed at WL and it was so much like a homecoming. We've toyed with looking at DVC. Not in the financial cards but if we did I'd be lining up at Boulder or Cooper Creek.

You guys are #DisneyGoals

We will be here on Wednesday and I cannot wait!!!!!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! Hope you all have a great trip.

I heard about this. Jason is definitely a keeper. What a sweetheart!
He is!!!! I'm hard to surprise but he pulled it off.

You all looked amazing!!!!!
Thank you!!! We had so much fun.

So happy you had a good trip! Your costumes are amazing. Casey is a genius!!!
Thank you. She clearly gets it from me :rotfl:

I have not yet tried the pig ear salad but hope to next week. I have been lucky enough to visit a few times since the festival started (in July!!!) and I have to agree with you that so far I've found things kind of lackluster.
I think it is just festival overload. Everything is fine, but nothing is spectacular and there really doesn't seem to be much difference between food and wine and flower and garden these days.

SO excited to hear how much you enjoyed Citrico's. We have an ADR there coming up and I have been eyeing the hamachi.
So happy you get to enjoy it too. Please let me know what you think. Hope its as wonderful for you as it is for us

Surprise!!! It's Disney Day again. In approximately 5 hours we will be wheels up leaving DC and heading to our own personal Mecca. I'm a little more nervous about covid this time around but we've been monitoring Florida and Orange County covid rates and thankfully everything is on a significant decline. Plus this is a quick trip focused on relaxing and pool time at our beloved Wilderness Lodge (props to @CruellaNY for hooking us up).

Only park time we have planned is for the Boo Bash. Casey planned our matching costumes so stay tuned for that. Here's a hint they are an ode to one of her favorite attractions and its thankfully not the pooper 💩 I don't plan on doing a dining report but will post a quick recap when we get back. Until then here's a little more from our June trip..

Hooray for Hollywood

Day 3 of the trip was the first of 3 planned days in MGM. It is not a big surprise that I do not love this park, but we had yet to ride rise of the resistance and wanted to make sure we had plenty of chances to get a boarding group.

So just before dawn I mean at 7am (which is my favorite time to wake up on vacation) Jason and I were at the ready and....

Success!

Eventually we got moving and walked to MGM. I'd say it was about a mile or so and just about every time walking was faster than a boat.

Someone was excited to ride Mickey and Minnie's Railway for the first time, though she is still bitter about the loss of her beloved shooting lady ride.

But wouldn't ya know it after we waited about 30 minutes and were just about to go in the dang ride broke down. We wanted to just wait for it to come back up but they wouldn't let us because it's a fire hazard :confused3 But they did give us a FP to come back later.

So instead we flew through a galatic galaxy, traveled back in time to 1990 with a frog and a pig, and did some shopping because wait times at MGM were NOT what we'd encountered the day prior. Eventually we did get to use our FP for Mickey and Minnie and I gotta say we loved it much more than I ever thought we would. I mean its no Sigourney Weaver saving the world, but a pretty fun experience nonetheless.

After that it was time for reservation #1,013 of the trip - Hollywood Brown Derby. I couldn't get a reservation at Jason's beloved SciFi and this was the only alternative we could settle on.

The restaurant had just opened so we were seated quickly and before too long drinks were at the table.

I got some kind of Pear Cocktail that I cannot find on the menu now, but I recall it had pear vodka, tequila, cilantro, and strawberries which sounds like a terrible combination but it was really, really good.

Jason went a safer direction and had a Jai Lai, which is his go to WDW beer.

And last, but certainly not least, Casey got a watermelon and sprite cocktail that she loved.

And of course her father commented how much better it would be with some rum in it!

For our entrees we were very boring and got two Cobb Salads to share.

I'm sure everyone has seen the deliciousness that is the famous brown derby salad made of Spit-roasted Turkey, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, Blue Cheese, Avocado, Classic Dressing.

But have you seen it tossed by a professional.

Or how about eaten by one

Make note he available for hire for your next salad experience.

This was a super quick lunch but the delicious salads and drinks certainly hit the spot. I wish they would open the Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge back up because that is my preferred spot here, but we were happy to sit and escape the heat for a bit.

Up next we finally rise and another big surprise
Glad you were able to do a quick trip this fall. Due to Covid concerns and family stuff our next trip is on hold. Fortunately we have the Jersey shore to escape to.

I am very impressed with Jason's tossing skills. I think my drink choice would be the same as his. I have never been a fan of pears either with or without alcohol. As for Casey's drink my vote would be for Vodka 😉.

Not gonna lie I am very much looking forward to the day when Casey gets to play bartender for us.
It’s great craic though I will warn you the grocery bill definitely goes up! All those extra limes and juices never mind the actual alcohol certainly add up but being the good parent that I am I will make the financial sacrifice to ensure my offspring have all the necessary life skills required to throw a good party 🎉🧉🍸🍷🍹🤣🤣🤣

You clearly spent your money wisely. It truly is an amazing resort. Are you getting to stay there next month???
No, next month we're staying at the Grand Floridian Villas - and I'm paying OOP since I've spent all our points!! :rotfl2:....

we've never stayed at the Villas side and its' been since 2016 since we stayed on the resort side...and I'm super excited!

We are back at CCV in March though!

Glad you were able to do a quick trip this fall. Due to Covid concerns and family stuff our next trip is on hold. Fortunately we have the Jersey shore to escape to.
It's so nice to have a place to escape too. Ours is a mountain house in West Virginia and its been so good to have it the last 18 months. Though if I had my pick I'd be at the shore on the beach :D

I am very impressed with Jason's tossing skills. I think my drink choice would be the same as his. I have never been a fan of pears either with or without alcohol. As for Casey's drink my vote would be for Vodka 😉.
:rotfl:Tossing and vodka for the win

I will warn you the grocery bill definitely goes up! All those extra limes and juices never mind the actual alcohol certainly add up but being the good parent that I am I will make the financial sacrifice to ensure my offspring have all the necessary life skills required to throw a good party
How quickly we forget how much those dang drinks cost. Eventually they join us in the ease of a beer or a glass of wine or whiskey but of course they gotta try everything else first. Especially if its on Mom's dime

No, next month we're staying at the Grand Floridian Villas - and I'm paying OOP since I've spent all our points!! :rotfl2:....
Of course you are... Gotta say the world of DVC points is a complete enigma to me

we've never stayed at the Villas side and its' been since 2016 since we stayed on the resort side...and I'm super excited!
That had been the last time we were there is a family too. Though I stayed there in 2019 for part of our Epic trip but I try not to mention that one to the family too often. Still hurts that I left em

I love, love, loved the new rooms. Kept the rustic charm but now with more modern touches. The beds were gret and the shower a welcomed change. And they really paid attention to the small things - like tables at the ends of the beds and hooks for towels or room under the bed for luggage. Let me know what you think though.
I love the new WL rooms. I like that they have the little reading lights and the two chairs with little tables. They fit a laptop perfectly. I agree with some reviews that say there should have towels bars instead of hooks. But in general, I like the new look. :)

Better not let Peco's Bills hear ya say that :earboy2:

Peco's Bill can suck it after my gross salad in August!

Looks like it is back open I'm just ill informed. But I much prefer the lounge to the restaurant

Good to know! We had a DHS day with no ADR so this might be our plan!

Gorgeous pic!

but the stand-out was the Pig Ear Salad from the Swanky Saucy Swine

I so wanted to try this…without pig ears, of course!

We had dinner at Topolinos where we had one of the best Disney desserts we've ever had, the Pumpkin Mousse.

Yum! Give me allllll the pumpkin stuff 😋

We also tried brunch at Wine Bar George and it was fantastic. Everything was delicious, but the stand-out was their marscapone french toast.

Oooooohhhh…that looks so good. I debated between this and Homecomin' brunch and Homecomin' won this time. Maybe we'll try this one in December ::yes::

Speaking of drinks, we also finally got up to the rooftop bar at the Coke store where Jason was reunited with his beloved Beverly.

Wait, he really likes Beverly?? Is that a whole drink of it??

No not, dentists or rabbits or brown nosers as @buzzrelly guessed ( 😘 Kelly) Nope Casey did her old Disney soul proud by styling us all as Country Bears.

:rotfl2:

Yeahhhh…sorry about that! In my defense, I haven't stepped foot in there since…1989??? Don't tell Melinda!

And you guys looked amazing! Super creative, Casey!

Mae West walking around with Abe Lincoln and an Amish girl ...

Oh, I’ve missed you all! As we are still in lockdown, (sigh) we won’t be able to enjoy these wonderful spots and meals for, most likely, a few years, yet. But, I can travel vicariously and imagine the updated Citrico’s and Geyser Point and three incredible singing bears! I can see just how talented they are ... and I just love that theatre curtain dress! Casey has true flair for this!

Peco's Bill can suck it after my gross salad in August!
Such harsh words for your beloved Peco's Bills. I won't tell him cause I know you'll eventually go running back :earboy2:

I so wanted to try this…without pig ears, of course!
You should definitely try it. Guarantee you will have no idea you are eating a pig ear.

Oooooohhhh…that looks so good. I debated between this and Homecomin' brunch and Homecomin' won this time. Maybe we'll try this one in December ::yes::
That is certainly a hard one. We'd done Homecoming in June so that is how WBD won out. Good news is you can't go wrong either way.

Wait, he really likes Beverly?? Is that a whole drink of it??
He does. We tried to go to Club Cool in Epcot but the line was way too long and he was not a happy boy. This was Beverly mixed with some kinda alcohol but he'd be happy to drink her all by her lonesome.

Yeahhhh…sorry about that! In my defense, I haven't stepped foot in there since…1989??? Don't tell Melinda!
Wow!!! I am very disappointed. You must rectify that for the 50th anniversary. Only fitting that you partake in one of the original attractions.

Oh, I’ve missed you all! As we are still in lockdown, (sigh) we won’t be able to enjoy these wonderful spots and meals for, most likely, a few years, yet. But, I can travel vicariously and imagine the updated Citrico’s and Geyser Point and three incredible singing bears! I can see just how talented they are ... and I just love that theatre curtain dress! Casey has true flair for this!
So good to "see" you even if it is virtually. And happy to have you travel vicariously along with us at any time. Just don't imagine us singing. Your ears will never forgive you :earboy2:

Rise and a Surprise

After lunch we hung out in Galaxy’s Edge waiting for our Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group to be called….

The anticipation is real.

Little did I know that our boarding number (66, thanks @Princess Madeleine for schooling me) is an unlucky number in the Star Wars universe and unfortunately it lived up to its name. We got held in the line for about 30 minutes and when we finally got moving they walked us through some back stage corridors. We thought the ride was down and we were being led out so we were quite surprised to eventually end up in the interrogation room. Of course we also had zero idea what was happening, but we enjoyed what we did get to see of the ride.

At this point MGM was a hot, crowded mess so we headed to Epcot via the Skyliner. I was not happy about this “majority” decision as I’m terrified of heights and swore I’d never set foot on this death trap in the sky. But....

…..It wasn’t completely terrible. I didn’t love it, but I didn't die either so small victories. In all seriousness for anyone else chicken like me it wasn’t nearly as high as I thought it would be so as long as it doesn’t get stuck I could suck it up for a few minutes.

Once in Epcot the year long Flower and Garden festival was of course going on and Casey had one thing on her mind FRUSHI.

This is one of her favorite Epcot snacks and the source of the shirt I’d gifted her that morning.

We walked around World Showcase for a bit and stopped at the Honey Bee-Stro booth where we tried the Sweet Corn Bread Pudding and an Orange Blossom & Honey Beer.

These were both very good and hit the bee-r and bee-lly spots.

Casey of course had to get the Honey-Peach Freeze in a Souvenir Cup, cause we’ll have so many uses for a plastic bee at home.

If you look close you can also see the sushi Mickey earrings I bought for her.

We also grabbed a Coconut and Key Lime Beer from the Citrus Blossom booth.

This tasted like sun screen fell into a batch of beer and rolled in some coconut before being bottled. No thank you.

From there we headed to future world to ride my favorite - The Land - but first we had one last surprise for Casey. We had her pose for a picture in front of The Land exit and little did she know that getting off the ride was…..Mickey Mouse himself

Ok it was really my brother, aka Uncle Matt, but this was more exciting for us since he lives in Texas and we don't get to see him nearly enough. Unfortunately we didn’t have the camera on live mode so you can’t see her full on reaction but it was priceless. My brother is more of a Disneyland kinda guy but like me has loved the parks since we were kids.

4f1e0a9e-4bc4-40f3-abf0-18f30f741036 copy.jpg

Sadly we didn’t get to0 spend much time with him as he was in Disney with a wedding party who had a very specific and not at all flexible schedule. But we grabbed a couple of rides with him before the Groomzilla came a calling.

Up next, Mambo Italiano

Last edited:
You can never have too much Flower & Garden, family, frushi and Spike!

I just love the castle shot with your brother. Ah, those were the days!

:flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter