The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Quick update. Yay I did not get my name called for a jury. They did select for one trial but it was not me. I did have to sit and wait and hope but at noon they said they were done with selection so home I went.

mom called and everyone survived this morning. I believe dad is in his chair with his oxygen.

mom had a social worker name and number so I think we are giving it a day or two before we call. My dad is also a retired Marine officer. I am wondering too about calling the VA.

@garneska Kris call the VA, they are not always the fastest and you need to be persistent with them. However, they do eventually come back with what options they can offer. I watched and helped them work so hard to modernize their systems and get all their records online. With any luck that will be a plus for you. But its always best to get the process started ASAP.

Last edited:
It's been a few weeks...golf, baseball, trains, yardwork, new computers, ill parents... A lot to catch up on!

Been a bit crazy on our end. DD17 has been nursing a broken foot since January 1, and now DD15 has a stress fracture in her knee! Nonetheless, we were able to take a week-long vacation to a resort about 20 miles south of Cancun and had an absolute blast.

Now we turn towards the hopes of having any camping at all before we put our rig up for sale. Our torsion axle had failed and it is out production. The trailer has been in the shop for a month and Dexter still hasn't given an update on when a replacement will be available. We have a reservation for Memorial Day weekend, a few nights for DS and me in June, and then 4-5 nights in Minnesota in July. After that, the trailer goes on the market. Not sure, with gas prices, what that market will be. Hoping the trailer gets fixed in time for these last trips!

A blessed Holy Week to all who observe it!

So some may have noticed I was gone again. Saturday was not feeling right. Called in to cancer institute they wanted me to come in for bloodwork. Had just had infusion on friday. Came in got bloodwork done and then it was shuffle me to the Emergency Room, then off to ICU. My blood sugar was 1384. Spent the last couple days working it down, was 217 this morning, they were talking about sending me home today. We will see.
Prayers for those also having issues.

So some may have noticed I was gone again. Saturday was not feeling right. Called in to cancer institute they wanted me to come in for bloodwork. Had just had infusion on friday. Came in got bloodwork done and then it was shuffle me to the Emergency Room, then off to ICU. My blood sugar was 1384. Spent the last couple days working it down, was 217 this morning, they were talking about sending me home today. We will see.
Prayers for those also having issues.
Wow - prayers for comfort and healing!

@PaHunter wow those numbers are just wow. Glad they are getting it down. I really hope your hospital is better than the one my dad was at. I have a whole new appreciation for healthcare, hospitals, drs, and insurance companies. I can only imagine what you guys are going through. Hang in there and i do hope you get to go home today.

Dad got some sleep on Sunday night since he was home and that gave him a bit of a better day on Monday. He did not argue so much about the oxygen so that is good. He sounded better when i talked to him last night. Today occupational therapy will be there. I still need to work on a nurse to come to the house. I will be on that but first we have a few dr appointments. I will be going to ALL of them because i can't trust my folks to remember all the things. Plus i need to let the drs know that someone has to get the orders in for a a nurse to come. You would think they would want someone to check on how the whole oxygen thing is going. We have a dr appointment Wed (vascular), thurs (pulmonary) and fri (cardiologist).

@garneska I hear you on respect for good health care. I learned a lot on my own when I had my accident.

@PaHunter Wow! I am glad they got numbers back to where it should be. They give you and idea of why it spike so bad?

The VA is hard to deal with. They purposely drag their feet. You have to stay on them continuous.

Jim is correct, social worker should have already been involved prior to leaving hospital.

Prayers for both your dad and for Chris.

Kris I told you , My " Bring in that Guilty SOB so we can give him FAIR TRIAL , and HANG his **** " sweatshirt works every time.
Hoping things with dad improve. I agree with others VA is tough and you need to push them but I have seen and met many highly dedicated professional health care providers working there.

Chris Sure blame the meds those 47 Reese's Easter Egg's had nothing to do with it .

Survived appointment one with dad. This was scheduled before he was in the hospital. Podiatrist sent him for vascular tests. Two weeks ago they checked arteries and today veins And saw the PA. Arteries looked good, as expected veins have reflux. They want to glue the main vein in each leg. of course they said it won’t fix the fluid issue since that is heart related but it would help. will mention it to the drs we see on Thursday and Friday.

On the trip dad seemed good. Much stronger than he was on Sunday, he only took the cane with him. He hates that damn walker. While I lugged the oxygen with he did not use it. Though he probably should have. He did get a nose bleed, we suspect from the nasal cannula. It won’t stop because of the Xarelto. He did sit back in his chair with the oxygen and the nose bleed when we got home. They crab at each other all day. it will be interesting if someone does not kill the other. my money is on dad though he is feisty.

the best is I posted this on the wrong thread. Sorry 🤦🏻‍♀️

Chris, Arnold was able to get the bag oxygen. He just carried it on his shoulder and would make oxygen when he was using it. So much easier than the tanks we pushed around. Prayers still coming for your Dad, your Mom & you. I had to bite my tough many times. Arnold would get irritated because he could not do the things he was used to doing. Just was not getting enough oxygen to his brain.

Arnold would get irritated because he could not do the things he was used to doing. Just was not getting enough oxygen to his brain.
this is exactly what we or they are dealing with. By dinner time everyone is tired, cranky, and out of oxygen. In the morning everyone feels pretty good.

mom called because of the nose bleed. I said you can try Afrin and after that have to go to ER. Dad did not want to do that. Have not heard back so hoping Afrin did the trick.

Kris he may need to add Humidity to out put from concentrator for his nose' It's a simple cup like device that is inline you fill with sterile water

this is exactly what we or they are dealing with. By dinner time everyone is tired, cranky, and out of oxygen. In the morning everyone feels pretty good.

mom called because of the nose bleed. I said you can try Afrin and after that have to go to ER. Dad did not want to do that. Have not heard back so hoping Afrin did the trick.

My eldest son used to have frequent nosebleeds as a child/young teen. My late Gran's 'home remedy' was to dampen a piece of a cotton ball in white vinegar and put it just inside the nostril. It worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter