The Magic was magic! June 15-18, 2023 out of Miami

Bea1776

Earning My Ears
As a thank you for the years and years of tips on this board (been following since the mid 90s) and now the world of vlogging and podcasting, I would like to share my first time cruise experience.

Marking my place so I will stay accountable!

TLDR: more than I hoped for, run don’t walk if you want to sail on the Magic.

As a thank you for the years and years of tips on this board (been following since the mid 90s) and now the world of vlogging and podcasting, I would like to share my first time cruise experience.

Marking my place so I will stay accountable!

TLDR: more than I hoped for, run don’t walk if you want to sail on the Magic.
Glad to hear you loved the Magic. She was the first ship we cruised on back in 2010. She is our favorite, and we get to spend 14 glorious nights on her in October.

Background:

Perspective of a first time ever cruiser, age 50, traveling with dear sister. I have a Dh of 25 years and 3 teen/young 20s kiddos, but they had their summers pretty full, so I took advantage of my own free time to try out cruising with my Disney loving sis. For some perspective, we can recite many lines of dialog from the first 25 or so animated features and many of the older live action Disney films. We love us a good character meet and greet (did one Disney Orlando week with the kids about 10 years ago). We both love beach days and ocean. We also enjoy a good live musical, so I thought this might be a win. I booked very early Jan on interior GTY restricted rate so we were locked in, no going back!

Rate was about 2.5K for both with taxes and gratuities and insurance. We also paid for one excursion and Ubers from airport to Miami hotel, from hotel to port, then port to airport. One meal in downtown Miami, parking at home airport, lots of tips for skycaps, portcaps, hotel, and ship/land servers. That was it, as I had miles for airline and hotel. Not bad for an five day in total trip.

Since most reading this far will be very familiar with my particular itinerary and sailing, I will report impressions by category:

Day 0 - Miami

We stayed in the Hampton Inn Brickell. I stay about 12-15 hotel nights per calendar year and I used to travel full time for work. That said, the hotel room was amazingly clean and up to date. Bed very comfy. I used the app and chose my room, 14th floor, overlooked many high rise pool decks, so pretty at night and in the morning, a photographer’s dream. The lobby and building and block are quite worn, but we had great front desk service and were even comped 2 beverages to redeem at the bar. Festive atmosphere with lots of folks preparing to embark next day. The neighborhood was not as fun as I was hoping, but it was very interesting to look at from above. We were told it was the hottest it had been so far that calendar year, but we laughed as it was just very warm and humid, nothing like the 108 degree evil burning heat that I am used to dealing with every summer for days and days.

Embarkation

Travel by Uber to the port was so easy, we were told the Magic was to be the only ship in port that day, we had the 11:15 am Group 5 boarding group (thank you to whoever made the pdf and directions on how to fly through online check it, that was the earliest we could get non concierge and no castaway).

We arrived at port and basically cut line, they were still holding back the 11:30 group.

We checked bags and got good seating in Cabanas and my sis really enjoyed the crab legs. I don’t remember what I ate, but the view from cabanas…I could not stop taking photos, it was just so pretty the combo of the water, the ship, and the city!!

That part trumped sail away for me.

Nassau - Blue Lagoon VIP

It took one hour to get from our excursion meeting place on ship to the ferry boat. The short ride was fun in and of itself on the top deck. It was a tiny bit overcast, so we did not get the full Gatorade water effect, but still gorgeous.

We spent our time on the VIP beach eating, drinking, wading in the clear water looking at fish, and taking photos, very quiet, very shady, plenty of chairs, plenty of water, plenty of peace!

Took our last ferry option out, 2:30, and about another 45 from getting in line to being dropped of in the very end of the new port area, have to basically exit through the gift store.

Food

Going to have to say, the reviews that “the ship food is basically very nice banquet food, and not much seasoning” is pretty much how I felt. But my goal was to not cook and have “proper meals.” I have allergic reactions, not unlike a spider bite, to grapes, apples, cherries, peaches, apples, some nuts, etc, so I had to opt for the plain food most of the time. Disney sure can roast a chicken! And I like flavor of chicken! I also like beef, so for that reason the Disney plain steak was a one and done for me.

There were a few amazing items, though: crème brûlée (best of my life!) and Indian food in Cabanas on final sea day (butter chicken, some kind of amazing cucumber salad, the naan!!!!!)

I also checked something unexpected off my bucket list. Trying the congee at breakfast. Pretty good! Only ever read about that dish and never thought I would get to try it.

My favorite meal was probably Cabanas breakfast with trustworthy Mickey Waffles and yummy bacon!

My sis really appreciated that she could order cereal, a banana and almond milk from room service the night before and put it into the fridge to have it for when she woke up.

Oops! Forgot to include a few other standouts: the plain salad with blue cheese from kids menu, and the kids menu Mac and cheese, the bbq chicken at Serenity Bay as well as their macaroni salad. I also liked the rolls and Real butter to serve with them. And the hero of my voyage, the pool deck ice cream soft serve! And I am neither dessert person nor ice cream person. This was the best (but please, kiddos, do not take it into the kiddy pool, especially not the chocolate, that puts the pool in time out for a long while, don’t do that on a sea day!)

Thank you for posting! It’s always great to read a first timer’s view!

Sounds like you had a good time. The food being on the bland side is true, but there are some gems to be found!

What pdf checkin are you talking about? (Seems like something I want 🙂)
Back in April someone posted a pdf with blank spaces to write all the important info (like addresses and flight info for your entire party, and good guidelines for what photos to have ready to upload so you can do the check in quickly, and not have to look up info, etc.

Now that my trip was a month ago, I wanted to add a few things that I remember that I loved:

-I loved the post cards and the stationary that come in the desk drawer in the cabin
-I loved Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay!
-I loved all of the live entertainment but most especially Disney Dreams, I think I cried and I could not stop cheering at the end!
-I loved the farewell party where all the princesses started signing the final song, did not even try to stop the streaming tears at that point
-I loved my tour of the ship lead by Tisa on the final morning sea day. She said she thought the Magic would be around at least till it turns 33, so everyone you have time to plan!

I hope to sail on the Dream or Fantasy next. Will be following to read more of your trip reports! Thanks for reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter