The Mini-Skirt in Spaceship Earth Bothers Me

I love Spaceship Earth, but every time I pass by the mainframe computer scene, the length of the woman’s 70s era mini-skirt bothers me. She should rethink the length for a professional setting. :scratchin

(Each time I ride spaceship earth, I think of posting this, but always forget. The thought came to me today while procrastinating at work.)
Except for the fact that this would have been the norm for that type of workplace at that point in time, so to make it longer would make it historically inaccurate.

Well, they've already done that. PotC has been changed twice now so as to rewrite history and not offend "modern sensibilities". :)

Steve
Yeah and I still don't like that, although at least with the auction scene they did it in a classy way that still makes sense with the story line.

On the off chance that the OP was serious, no - this doesn't bother me at all. I grew up in that era and it was perfectly normal then. Its historically accurate.

What's less historically accurate than her clothing (which is accurate) is that she'd even be working there and not being the person getting coffee. When I worked in a computer company in the 80's there were few women who weren't admin staff - probably less than 10%.

As to the clothing, it's inappropriate now but it was the norm in the 60's in offices. OTOH, I recall female friends of mine working for firms like IBM in the 80's where it was considered inappropriate for women to wear anything but skirts and dresses, no pants. What seems inappropriate today was the norm then; what's considered the norm and/or appropriate today wasn't then. I don't see any reason to whitewash history because we don't like it today (one of the reasons I object to the removal of the auction in PoTC).

I like her outfit, but there's something in her eyes.... I have always thought she's the character most likely to come to life and go on a rampage.

Shouldn't bother anyone it was the fashion.
My mom wore mini skirts, hot pants, and gogo boots.

My mom was old school, I was a teen in the late 60's early 70's and regularly packed my mini skirt and boots in a bag and changed at school. Good times. lol And yup, the teachers wore them too. I'm amazed that 50 years later people are offended.

My mom was old school, I was a teen in the late 60's early 70's and regularly packed my mini skirt and boots in a bag and changed at school. Good times. lol And yup, the teachers wore them too. I'm amazed that 50 years later people are offended.
My parents met in 1972 a couple weeks after my dad bought a convertible and my mom still talks about the fact that she always wore mini skirts and in the summer the seat was so hot and in the winter so cold. I always tease her that she should put one on for old time sake when the take the convertible for a ride lol.

What's less historically accurate than her clothing (which is accurate) is that she'd even be working there and not being the person getting coffee. When I worked in a computer company in the 80's there were few women who weren't admin staff - probably less than 10%.

As to the clothing, it's inappropriate now but it was the norm in the 60's in offices. OTOH, I recall female friends of mine working for firms like IBM in the 80's where it was considered inappropriate for women to wear anything but skirts and dresses, no pants. What seems inappropriate today was the norm then; what's considered the norm and/or appropriate today wasn't then. I don't see any reason to whitewash history because we don't like it today (one of the reasons I object to the removal of the auction in PoTC).

I thought I might reply, but kiford already said exactly my thoughts.

I’m all for mini skirts and rockin’ a great outfit, but I would feel so out of place if I wore this to work. Then again, I work from home and rarely go to the office. I’m usually wearing gym clothes from my morning workout.
But that's because you didn't go to work in the 60's :hippie:

don't see any reason to whitewash history because we don't like it today (one of the reasons I object to the removal of the auction in PoTC).
I just had to quote this because there is no love love love agree 1000% button!

View attachment 393991 I love Spaceship Earth, but every time I pass by the mainframe computer scene, the length of the woman’s 70s era mini-skirt bothers me. She should rethink the length for a professional setting. :scratchin

(Each time I ride spaceship earth, I think of posting this, but always forget. The thought came to me today while procrastinating at work.)
Dont ride it then. However, mind, I dont like how Test Track goes so fast that it might encourage some drivers to go over the speed limit. Test Track should use the speed of Tomorrowland Speedway for a more "professional setting". The worlds gone mad !!!!!!!!!

I do remember a group of young women engineers in the late 90s at my company who dressed like that (sans the coat). They attracted a lot of attention though. It was generally not considered very professional but no one was going to tell them to stop.

Ah, the 90s. The Melrose Place years. We all wanted to dress like

That’s not historically inaccurate. It’s just that Disney is showing the 10%.

Reminds me of the picture of Margaret Hamilton floating around on the internet (I’d attach a pic but the ones I can find are too large to add as a file here). Not a mini, but it’s the 60s, and she seems to have bare legs.

Still trying to figure out what changing a storyline that Disney created, and what some women actually wore to work in reality, have to do with one another.

I was always more confused by the non-proportional size of her legs, especially when compared to Gutenberg's little twig legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter