The Much Anticipated Bubba's Mom's Pictorial Trip Report To Universal-June 2007

Barb-
Where did you find that badge holder with the self-reeling thingy? (don't know what it's really called)

That's very cool!
melissa

we got ours at walmart...but you can get them at any office supply store (they are called "badge holders")...staples, office depot, office max, etc..... these ones are ripping at the seams after 13 days of heavy usage (from pulling AP out from behind it for all the discounts!)...so, going to Staples to get a 4pack....for me, dh & we'll "let" mom use one next year ;) (so, if i get the 4 pack, we'll have 2 spares for future use!)

and....i will let you know, they are wonderful and convenient. when not pulling it out to show room key for EP, i keep mine in my pocket...it's right there and i feel a bit more secure having it IN my pocket on rides and such! :thumbsup2 i highly recommend one if you hate anything around your neck (which, i can't take that lanyard thing around my neck!)

we got ours at walmart...but you can get them at any office supply store (they are called "badge holders")...staples, office depot, office max, etc..... these ones are ripping at the seams after 13 days of heavy usage (from pulling AP out from behind it for all the discounts!)...so, going to Staples to get a 4pack....for me, dh & we'll "let" mom use one next year ;) (so, if i get the 4 pack, we'll have 2 spares for future use!)

and....i will let you know, they are wonderful and convenient. when not pulling it out to show room key for EP, i keep mine in my pocket...it's right there and i feel a bit more secure having it IN my pocket on rides and such! :thumbsup2 i highly recommend one if you hate anything around your neck (which, i can't take that lanyard thing around my neck!)

Great!! I will be looking for one (or more) before our next trip! Thanks for the info!

Love this idea!! I'm leaving for vacation in 12 days and was at Wal-Mart stocking up on toiletries for the trip yesterday. I found them - last package on the rack! I'm looking forward to trying them out very shortly. Any more great tips like that? I also like the shoe rack over the door for toiletries. :thumbsup2

Any more great tips like that? :thumbsup2

Not sure if this will help you or not...but we fly into MCO and have the towncar service pick us up (usually a 1 way transfer) and we get the complimentary grocery stop. We get a styrofoam cooler from the store (usually in the bottled water or beer aisle) and ice (at the checkout). The cooler is usually $5 or so. We get juice, water, creamcheese (for bagels w/ breakfast) milk and beer and fill the cooler w/ ice when we arrive (even if our room isn't ready, we still fill the cooler and put stuff in it to keep it cold while they hold it for us).... we also pick up other snacks and breakfast stuff (donuts, danish, etc...) for the room. Last year when we were leaving, we left the cooler by the ice machine...this year, we had drinks left, and kept the cooler stashed w/ our luggage till we left...it was nice to have cold drinks for the ride "home" (actually to my DFIL's in Ocala, Fl)....

not sure if THIS helps YOU....maybe someone else?

Another great idea - thanks! We use a towncar service also so maybe I'll try that. You seem very prepared when you travel. I thought I was, but you have me beat!

i think i'm the only person who just doesn't get the over-the-door shoe thing...even on cruise thought it was a pain to unpack all my toiletries and stash them there.

We fly down and after having a foam aerosol suntan lotion go everywhere, I took to double bagging all liquids in quart zip bags. Everything else is grouped by category: toothbrushes/toothpaste/floss, first aid, makeup, hair products, deoderant.

Everthing then goes into 2 tupperware type boxes (slightly bigger than a shoe box, fits securely in the bottom of large rolling suitcase) with locking lid that swings open when you need to get into it.

The main one sits on the sink, secondary one on floor underneath. Woe be unto the family member who doesn't put the item they use back in it's appropriate zip bag & back in the container when they are done.

yes, i run a tight ship; especially since we tend to move at least once each trip & i'm the one stuck packing everything up - hut-hut.;)

will say nothing has leaked or broken in several trips.:thumbsup2

I do put a layer of the packing stuff on both sides of the suitcase ( that's clear & comes in a roll, kwim? ); helps with souvies making it home intact.

Another great idea - thanks! We use a towncar service also so maybe I'll try that. You seem very prepared when you travel. I thought I was, but you have me beat!

i learned it all here on the DIS.....before our first trip to Disney, i joined here and bought the UOG. First trip to UO, I bought Kelly's book: Universal Orlando...the Ultimate Guide. :thumbsup2 This past winter, I was waiting for next summer's cruise dates to open to book Disney cruise for June 2008, bought the Passporter..... I research SO thoroughly, that my AAA agent that was making my DCL arrangements was telling them "my client does her research and says there IS an onboard credit for booking w/ Disney Visa" :rotfl: (sometimes I think I know more than her! :rolleyes: )

Anyway, last year was the first time we tried the styrofoam cooler thing (based on advice from here) and it worked out fabulous! :thumbsup2 Did it again this year and our room ended up being next to the ice machine! Can't get closer than that! :rotfl:

Hope my tips make your trip a bit more enjoyable and easy! ;)

i think i'm the only person who just doesn't get the over-the-door shoe thing...

I STILL double/triple ziplock every liquid and gel and "leakable" to fly. I find the "totebox" takes up too much room...i can pack a couple of leakable bags and stuff them in the middle of the duffle bag so they are cushioned by clothes. I don't mind taking them out and putting them in the over the door thing...elimates "where's my toothpaste" & "where's my deodorant" & "where's my this".... :rolleyes1 Bubba can reach all his stuff on his own and it's there to see and reach easily...and outta my way! I did "cheat" when we left RPR to head to Dad's (by car)...i didn't bag anything...i just took the whole thing off the door and folded it down and when I got to Dad's, just hung it up! No time at all! ..so, i will AlWAYS double/triple bag leakables, but just "hang" them outta the way....to each his own....what works for us, may not be your "thing" :thumbsup2

i just throw my stuff in a plastic grocery store bag.

when i need something out of it, i dump it on the bed in the room.
then toss everything back in the bag.

i just throw my stuff in a plastic grocery store bag.

when i need something out of it, i dump it on the bed in the room.
then toss everything back in the bag.

:lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

why does that not surprise me?

...just another perk of traveling 'solo' :rolleyes:

or you could be like my two oldest DSs leaving on vacation...

they buy all their tolitries once they get where they're going:rolleyes1

BubbasM
Thanks for writing such a great report
:thumbsup2
I have some catching up to do but wanted to let you know I am reading and enjoying it
:yay:

Hi Bubba's mom-. I finally had time enough to read your whole trip report up to this point! You must have been on your way to the dismeet when we passed you because you were alone. Next time I will be sure to introduce us! It was actually my husband who spotted you first - we love to people watch and are always pointing out cute kids, happy couples etc..so he says "wow, she's pretty." I told him I know who that is but he did not believe me!:rotfl2:
I love your attention to detail and I love all the pictures!

JMCDAD and dsmom..... Thanks...glad you enjoyed TR up to here (going to work on the next day tonite)....

dsmom....does your DH believe you now that you "know" me? :laughing:

Okay, okay, I know it's been a week since the last day of the TR....(each day takes quite a few hours to do....) so, without further delay......

Day 5 -- Saturday, June 30th.....

We were up at a reasonable time (don't know exactly what time that was) and we were out the door to the Studios. We were walking by HRC and my phone starting singing...it was fellow DISer Melanie230! Now, I hadn't hooked up with my girl yet...and we wuz supposed to ride Jaws :fish:at night and do the DIS-Meet yesterday. So, she is callin' to see what we were up to, http://www.freesmileys.org and I told her we were just about at the Studios...heading to JN first.....which, coincidentally, worked out rather well for her and her family, as they were getting ready to leave their room (at HRH) for the Studios to do JN and Shrek! We were literally sitting on JN, when the TM said "put cell phones away" when my phone started vibrating and it was her calling to let me know they were in line for Shrek.

I called her as soon as we were finished on JN and she said the 4 of them just made that show of Shrek! I told her we were getting in line behind her and we were set for the next show! We got the front of the preshow theater and after the preshow, we entered the theater while the last show (with Melanie and her family) were exiting. I picked a row and moved all the way down to the end...... As I approached the last seat in the row, Melanie called out to me. (Still not sure how she knew it was me?)...but I yelled back, "Hey girl...catch you after!" We just missed that show with them....they just made it into the last show, we were first into the next...oh well!
3.gif

After Shrek, we exited to see Donkey and Shrek doin' their "thing".... I looked back toward JN (cuz I remembered that was Melanie's next stop after Shrek) and low and behold, they had just entered the EP line (for the 2nd time I was about to learn). My boys went to MIB to hook up with the rest of the family, I went to JN to meet Melanie. I decided to get in line and ride with them. We chatted a mile a minute
11.gif
like a couple of long, lost girlfriends. Sharing room views on our cameras, talking about the trip so far, etc.... She has a very nice family and her little girl Lauren is just mesmerized with the JN ride....it was so cute watching her on JN.....she looked so immersed....like she'd never seen/did it before (but did over 20 times according to Melanie!) After riding JN, they headed toward Twister and I strolled along yaking along the way making plans to ride Jaws that night........ :thumbsup2

When we arrived at Twister, we parted ways. I met up with everyone at MIB and took a spin with them (they had been riding for a while). After my spin on MIB, we all headed toward ET. Oddly enough, my DSIL & DNe had never been on ET :confused3 (and they live in Fla and have APs). My nephew gets motion sick, so he was a bit concerned with what exactly he was in for. While "waiting", we tried to explain it.

We did the intro, and proceeded to the turnstiles to give ET our name and get our passports. We were a party of 9, and let most go ahead of us...er, rather, the smaller parties that just seemed to "push through" us.:sad2: So, while waiting to go through the turnstiles, we were talking amongst ourselves to see who was giving their "real" name and who was giving "fake" names. Turns out, we all decided to give the name "Bob". Okay, we are set. DH & I were first in line with our party and we heard the guy in front of us give his name....."Bobby". When he said that, he turned around and smiled at us (because he overheard us discussing what names we were giving). I apologized, but he chuckled and said to me that he thought our plan was funny. However, not a good plan, we would soon find out. Apparently, the computer did not recognize all 9 "Bob"s, so, ET only said "Bob" once :( Next time, we are going to use variences of "Bob"..Robert, Bobby, etc.....

After ET, we went to meet up with the rest of crew who wanted to ride Woody Woodpecker Nuthouse coaster. While waiting, I took some pictures of the old Hard Rock Cafe for Tracie. HRC and HERE TOO. The adults who took the kids, were sitting and waiting for them, stating the line was rather long (why? I don't know?) Even my DNi who loves to ride that coaster, decided she didn't want to wait again.

Everyone decided to go to Curious George's playarea. I took off Bubba's shoes and shirt to keep them dry, since I knew he wouldn't stay completely dry. He ran around having a good time and was on the second story of the firehouse when I heard the bell. I didn't tell Bubba what happens when that bell rings, I wanted him to be surprised! He was on the second level squirting others with the water cannons when the water started ....he jumped back out of the way in enough time to NOT get soaked. He did get a little wet, but not drenched...yet. :rolleyes1 He had a good time playing and exploring and finding out what doors squirt water at you and when you pull on a rope, water shoots out of the pipe it's attached to.... it was fun for him to be running around having some good clean fun! Picture HERE and PIC HERE.

Exploring town, they came across the Ball Factory. It's an indoor area with tonz of foam balls. They have some mesh bags for you to collect balls in, but they are few and far between. My tip would be to bring a plastic grocery bag to gather balls in. You can collect the balls and levitate them, or shoot them across the room or into the collection bin high above the floor. Every so often, the bin tilts over and dumps it's contents all over the floor and you start all over again. There are also huge hoses that act like vacuums to suck the balls up to the collection bin. It's a great play area that kids will have lots of fun in.

I will note here, that just outside Curious George's playarea, there are kid-size bathrooms. Two potties and sinks that are "kid" size and two or three others that are "regular" size ;) So, if you'd like to take a change of clothes, a "changing area" isn't far away!

After some more running around in the Ball Factory and Curious George's playarea, the crew wanted to go to Finnegan's for lunch. Since 1) I wasn't hungry and 2) there was talk of Popeye (which we weren't "dressed" for), I decided to "boat it" back to RPR to grab our wet duds and shoes. On my way out of the Studios, I popped my head into Lucy - A Tribute (mostly because my boys had no interest in seeing it). I thought it was very nice and interesting too. I read a letter her youngest child wrote to her in 1973 (I think) and I thought it was so very sweet. I saw some of her costumes, (costume 1 and costume 2) her Emmy's, letters and lots of photographs. A wonderfully done tribute, in my opinion.

I decided to exit the Studios via Nickelodeon Way (between the Universal Store and the regular queue for JN toward BMG theater). There seemed to be less traffic going this way, and I had decided to take the boat back to RPR instead of walking it. The boat wasn't crowded at all, which I'm guessing is because it was the middle of the afternoon. I had a nice ride back to the hotel, and except for the ride BACK to the parks via boat, my only trip by boat the whole week. I always like the view of RPR from the water and I never see anyone sitting on the beach. (Approaching RPR via water taxi.)
1.gif

I decided to take the boat back to the parks, because I knew the family would still be eating at Finnegan's. I got back to City Walk and checked into Guest Services at the Studios to see if Bev was working. At first, the gentleman who waited on me, didn't know who I was talking about, but I waited while he went to check. Nope, missed her...sorry Bev! When I came out of GS, I saw Bart and Lisa doing a Meet & Greet. There was a little line, but they were up in the very front of the park (near Universal Vacations/Lost & Found), so, I'm guessing not many knew they were there. On my way to Finnegan's to meet everyone, I found out they were just finishing up lunch and were heading to Mummy. After leaving our bag with KC (Keeper of the Crap), I joined them in line (they let peeps ahead of them till I caught up to them). We rode Mummy a few times, trying to come up with different ideas for the "picture". One of the times, DSIL and I decided to choke our husbands....would have been a funny picture, but the guys decided to pick their noses! Boys!

After a few spins on Mummy,
1.gif
some of us decided to do MIB again (of course!) and after MIB we were going to meet up at Jaws. After a few spins on MIB, we met up at Jaws and rode Jaws. Took some picturesaround Jaws that I never really noticed before. My youngest DNi still won't ride it...she's not sure what it is (although we tell her a boat ride and show her pictures, she's still unsure).

Since lunch, Collin had been at Finnegan's watching the Phillies game (he's a HUGE fan) and DBIL stayed to keep him company. After Jaws, we headed back to Finnegan's to retrieve him, and decided to ride Popeye. DH, Bubba and I decided not to wait on the rest of the crew, and we headed toward Popeye at IOA. Of course we decided to ride it while waiting for them. One ride through and they still weren't there yet. So, we go again! Just as we were pulling away from the loading area and going under the bridge, we saw them on the bridge...right near the water cannons! Of course, we knew it was coming, and they squirted us...huge grins on their faces....but no matter....we were already soaked from the last ride through. Our ride stopped for a brief time (as I believe there were problems that week(end), but everyone was waiting for us at the exit. They all joined us the next 2 times. We did that ride 2 more times within 15 minutes, while the regular line was 2 hours! We were getting back on (soaking wet from the last time) and passing the same people in the standby line. (It doesn't help when my DNi is chanting "one more time! one more time!" while exiting the raft ....:lmao: .... ) DS & I got changed after 2 times, while everyone else went 3 more times. (It was after 6pm, it was clouding up, so the sun wasn't as intense, and Bubba was chilly) We had stashed our bag of dry duds in the lockers near Wimpy's. They are $2 for the first hour and $4 for 2 hours. They do take cash AND credit cards and you PAY WHEN YOU RETREIVE your stuff, not when you first rent it.:headache: I had to get an attendant to open the locker for me (and show her ID) because we had put the $2 in at time we rented the locker. Bubba and I got changed in the restrooms right there, but I don't recommend that. It's a small restroom w/ only a couple of stalls...if you go around the corner toward Toon Lagoon/Dudley, there's a larger restroom to use.

By the time DS, DH & I were changed into some dry, warm duds, we met everyone else and decided 4 would ride Hulk and the rest would ride Spidey. After our rides, we were to meet on the bridge near Hulk. Worked out just fine. :teeth:

The 3 of us started walking over to the Studios at 8:45pm to meet Melanie and her son to ride Jaws at 9:15pm. We originally made the "date" for 9:30, but I remembered the 360 Show was starting at 9:45pm and I thought she might want to see it (tonight was the first night it was showing and their last night at UO). I called Melanie to see if we were "still on", but I got her voicemail. We decided we were riding Jaws at night no matter what, so we hoofed it on over to the Studios. We got to the entrance of Jaws at about 5 or 10 after 9pm, and grabbed a seat to wait for Melanie. I noticed the standby line was 30 minutes. At 9:15 we headed in the EP line, and just after we rounded the corner, my phone rang and it was Melanie telling us they were out front. I told her to "C'mon in....we just got in line"...nobody was behind us and her and Hayden caught up to us in no time. She explained that they got stuck on MIB (which, I believe had some "issues" that week too), and we went right back to yaking a mile a minute! While waiting and talking in line, we noticed a lot of people ducking under the rope to the "empty" line next to them. We would soon find out, that they were jumping into the "Single Rider" line. When we got to the front of the EP line, we asked for the "front of the boat" and said we'd step aside to wait if we had to. While doing so, I noticed one of those "line jumpers" at the front of the line he jumped into arguing with a TM that they were a party of 6 and he was not hearing any of the TM explaining they would be split up because they were in the single rider line. I think the TM finally caved (guess it was a long day and near closing time and she realized she wasn't being productive arguing the point anymore....?), but I did notice she made them wait for awhile tho...AND when she did let them board, she put them all in the back...can you say Row 7?
14.gif
( I would have loved to be in THAT boat w/ them!)

Jaws at night is FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!! (according to Melanie's DS) I did notice a lot of things at night that I didn't notice during the day. The cemetary at the church (yes, there IS a cemetary there) was lit up. At night they just put spotlights to accent different things around "Amity" that look totally different at night. At the point of the ride where the gas station explodes, there is a trail of fire on the water that stretches across the path of the boat. I remember the tour guide saying that she was "going for it".... A scene that I don't remember during the day. Altho, Melanie told me that when they rode Jaws at dusk, sometimes the fire came across the path of the boat...I'm guessing it only happens at/near dark. In any event...very cool! When we entered the boathouse, Melanie and I turned around (we were in the front row), to watch the chum bucket splash the unsuspecting person in the back of the boat. Let me tell you, if you know it's coming, the expression on the victim's face is priceless!:lmao: It's a little harder to see their face when it's dark, but we could see a little. We had a great bunch of people on our boat and it was really a fun ride! I really recommend riding at night..... a very cool experience and very different from the day!

After exiting Jaws, we noticed the park lights going out in preparation of the (first night) 360 Show. We realized we'd forgotten to eat, and we were getting hungry. I think Melanie and her son were staying to watch the show, and we parted ways. We realized all the food places were closing up and we couldn't find anything to eat in the Studios. We decided to head to City Walk and try there. As the crowd gathered for the 360 show, the "streets" were empty on the way out of the park.

We ended up grabbing some pizza slices at the Coke Icon at the center of City Walk. The pizza was rather good ($2.99/slice) and we charged it back to the room. We took our "dinner" (at almost 10pm!) and grabbed a bench and ate
2.gif
while taking in the atmosphere at City Walk.

We couldn't hook up w/ the rest of the family (got voicemail), so after "dinner", we decided to head "home". Since the 360 Show was wrapping up, the boats were crowded and we decided it might be faster to walk than wait for a boat. We had a nice walk back to the RPR. Back at the room, we had a "sweet snack" to wash down our pizza :) , Bubba looked at the pictures from the day, and I started packing up to get ready to check out tomorrow....our last day at UO. :(

Stay tuned for our last day at Universal Orlando......

Another great day!

We didn't have a change of clothes when we were there, so we didn't do the Curious George area. Where was the foam ball room? Do you have to walk through the water area of town to get to it?

Next time we'll have clothes. I already haul nearly everything in my "mom bag" anyway... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter