• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

Jumping in! We will be at ASMu August 30-Sept 3, but are looking into either adding days on the front end or booking another resort to do 6 park days instead of 4...TBD :)

Added in you, just give a holler when you decide for certain on dates / resort.

I booked Wilderness Lodge for August - more in a panic. Lol. I’ve been playing around with dates, resorts, tickets, money since 6am. :faint:

It's nearly addictive, isn't it :)

Yeah I think you are right that the summer bookings must be slow. I also don't think they usually release it so early in the year. I was thinking more like April or May the dates would be released.

The free dining math makes my head spin. I think it's really close for us. DH is leaning towards it while I'm leaning the other way. That's usually how it goes with us. Right now there's a decent amount available with my dates.

When I first started going to Disney World, it was typical for the dates to be released sometime around the end of March. Slowly, over the years, that crept into April, and more recently, towards the beginning of May. I was way surprised to see them release it in January, and for July dates, literally right after the 4th of July, which is typically a pretty busy time. The 4th is on a Thursday. I would expect that most people who arrive for the 4th will stay through the following weekend. To see free dining start on the 5th really surprised me.

We are all Disney Adults, and that is fine, we have healthy appetites, and are plenty willing to do a quick service, and a table service in the parks each day. Breakfast is usually at home (though we always to PPO Crystal Palace at least once, and often do Chef Mickey's and 1900 Park Fare too), so the dining plan fits pretty well for us, however, we kind of outgrew the moderate resort rooms a while back, and the steep price difference for a larger room inspired us to look offsite. Renting an entire house, with a private pool, laundry machines, full kitchen, and a private pool, with a driveway so we don't have to walk half a mile to the front door, for more or less the same money we paid for a single bedroom onsite, let's just say that was addictive. It is nice to not have to share a bedroom with my kids. It is way nice that everyone can shower at the same time, we can throw a load of laundry in every morning, and cook real food for breakfast instead of being limited to what we can make with a coffee maker and a toaster, and the drive to the parks really doesn't take any longer than messing about with the resort bus does. I can't see us going back to staying onsite at least as long as we have children travelling with us. As a result of staying offsite, no more dining plan for us. We now purchase Disney Gift Cards from Sam's Club at a discount, and then use those to pay for all of our dining. Throw in the 10% discount for AP holders, and we are plenty happy with our cost.

For us it was a no brainer that the Dining plans wouldn't be worth it - we have groceries delivered to the room for breakfasts, and we pack one meal for the parks. Even on the QS plan, we wouldn't normally buy that much food in the parks so it wasn't worthwhile. Add to that we have two "Disney adults" in our 12 and 10 year old but both are still kids menu eaters...and that value goes down even more. It really does depend on how you would normally eat.

We eat breakfast at the house most days. We have packed lunch to take to the parks with us, but we don't do that all the time. Likely, this coming year we will just do quick service in the parks for lunch, as we are down to a party of 3, so it will be a fair bet less expensive than it was as a party of 5. If we were staying onsite, it would be a close call for us. My decision is made much easier by the fact that we stay offsite now :)

I’m more confused then ever! :crazy:

I'm glad that you booked Wilderness Lodge because the site is a hot mess. Seems like some people are having good luck over the phone.

We are all Disney Adults, and that is fine, we have healthy appetites, and are plenty willing to do a quick service, and a table service in the parks each day. Breakfast is usually at home (though we always to PPO Crystal Palace at least once, and often do Chef Mickey's and 1900 Park Fare too), so the dining plan fits pretty well for us, however, we kind of outgrew the moderate resort rooms a while back, and the steep price difference for a larger room inspired us to look offsite. Renting an entire house, with a private pool, laundry machines, full kitchen, and a private pool, with a driveway so we don't have to walk half a mile to the front door, for more or less the same money we paid for a single bedroom onsite, let's just say that was addictive. It is nice to not have to share a bedroom with my kids. It is way nice that everyone can shower at the same time, we can throw a load of laundry in every morning, and cook real food for breakfast instead of being limited to what we can make with a coffee maker and a toaster, and the drive to the parks really doesn't take any longer than messing about with the resort bus does. I can't see us going back to staying onsite at least as long as we have children travelling with us. As a result of staying offsite, no more dining plan for us. We now purchase Disney Gift Cards from Sam's Club at a discount, and then use those to pay for all of our dining. Throw in the 10% discount for AP holders, and we are plenty happy with our cost.

The offsite house rental does sound really nice. My cousin has done it with her inlaws a couple of times and they seem to really enjoy it.

I feel like I'm closer and closer to leaving that Disney bubble the more trips we take.

I'm glad that you booked Wilderness Lodge because the site is a hot mess. Seems like some people are having good luck over the phone.

The offsite house rental does sound really nice. My cousin has done it with her inlaws a couple of times and they seem to really enjoy it.

I feel like I'm closer and closer to leaving that Disney bubble the more trips we take.
We have always driven to Disney, but would typically park our car, and just use the bus. Then, one year, we adventured off Disney property to visit Old Town for the car cruise, and that was eye opening. The following year, we did the same, but also drove to the parks a couple of times, and discovered that largely, it is just as fast, if not faster, to drive yourself, and you are guaranteed a seat. That was another epiphany if you will. At that point, we were a family of 4, and often had a friend of my daughters with us making it 5. We managed at POR with the trundle bed because our son was still small, then he got too big for the trundle, and my mother was coming along. We didn't have my daughters friend, but we were still 5, and no one was small enough for the trundle. The big price jump to move up to a Disney room big enough for 5 adults was all the encouragement I needed to move offsite. The house was lovely. We have now stayed offsite 3 times. Twice in a full vacation home, and last summer at one of the villas from DreamsVillas, and all three stays were quite enjoyable.

We eat breakfast at the house most days. We have packed lunch to take to the parks with us, but we don't do that all the time. Likely, this coming year we will just do quick service in the parks for lunch, as we are down to a party of 3, so it will be a fair bet less expensive than it was as a party of 5. If we were staying onsite, it would be a close call for us. My decision is made much easier by the fact that we stay offsite now :)

I can totally see us moving offsite as my boys get bigger - right now they're still small enough that they fit together on a full size bed, but once they sprout it will be much better to have more space to spread out in. That might be the time I finally spring for a condo that I can snowbird in once I'm through with New England winters LOL. We used all Disney gift cards for meals the last two times we went down - buying them with the 5% target red card discount was pretty sweet! Our next step is probably AP's and TiW :)

Although we are spending most of our trip near DS and Epcot, we have planned one night (Friday August 16th) at a resort near MK (in hopes of a MNSSHP). We were planning a special deal at Contemporary, but just found out that it's not included in the deal we were looking for. GF, Poly and Wilderness Lodge are all included, but we've never stayed at any of these resorts. Which is the EASIEST in terms of transportation getting back to resort after an after hours party? We really like the walk to Contemporary, but again, it's off the table now. Suggestions? @Disneylover99 I believe you're a Poly fan? How's the monorail that late? We'd stay till the party ended if that makes a difference? TIA

Hi Disboard family! Just booked for Aug 8-13. Traveling solo with 5 kiddos, little nervous about a solo trip to Diz with the kids, however I am excited and been several times with the kids when they were younger! I am so excited!

Although we are spending most of our trip near DS and Epcot, we have planned one night (Friday August 16th) at a resort near MK (in hopes of a MNSSHP). We were planning a special deal at Contemporary, but just found out that it's not included in the deal we were looking for. GF, Poly and Wilderness Lodge are all included, but we've never stayed at any of these resorts. Which is the EASIEST in terms of transportation getting back to resort after an after hours party? We really like the walk to Contemporary, but again, it's off the table now. Suggestions? @Disneylover99 I believe you're a Poly fan? How's the monorail that late? We'd stay till the party ended if that makes a difference? TIA

Yes, I’m a huge Poly fan, and I’m having buyer’s remorse with Wilderness Lodge. The Poly is much pricier but I think I’m going to switch.

We closed MNSSHP one night two years ago. We were the last family out of the park and we ended up taking the boat to the POLY. It was so convienient. :) I’m not sure how late the monorail runs on party nights, but I always have good luck with the boat. Lots of options with the Poly. You can monorail, boat, or walk to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot.

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge once, and found the boat ride back and forth to MK quite enjoyable. For a bit of an added bonus, if you really want a ride on the monorail, you can take the boat from the Wilderness Lodge to the Contemporary, then ride the monorail from there over to MK.

I can totally see us moving offsite as my boys get bigger - right now they're still small enough that they fit together on a full size bed, but once they sprout it will be much better to have more space to spread out in. That might be the time I finally spring for a condo that I can snowbird in once I'm through with New England winters LOL. We used all Disney gift cards for meals the last two times we went down - buying them with the 5% target red card discount was pretty sweet! Our next step is probably AP's and TiW :)

I quite enjoy the AP. We didn't get them for everyone in the family, just for me. We figured that with the free parking (a big deal when you are staying offsite. This alone is worth $400 over the course of the two trips we will make on the AP), Memory Maker, merchandise discounts, and food discounts, it would more than pay for it's self.

Hi Disboard family! Just booked for Aug 8-13. Traveling solo with 5 kiddos, little nervous about a solo trip to Diz with the kids, however I am excited and been several times with the kids when they were younger! I am so excited!

Awesome. I put you in the roll call. What resort are you staying at?

So excited. Haven’t posted here in a while, but we just booked our August 2019 trip! 6 days, staying at Pop Century, with all the park hopper plus and free dining goodies. I definitely didn’t think Disney was even on the radar this year, so I’ve been super giddy all day! Now to wait 280+ days

So excited. Haven’t posted here in a while, but we just booked our August 2019 trip! 6 days, staying at Pop Century, with all the park hopper plus and free dining goodies. I definitely didn’t think Disney was even on the radar this year, so I’ve been super giddy all day! Now to wait 280+ days
If you give me dates, I will add you to the roll call.

Staying at AS Music suite Aug 3 - 17. I was so happy to get an email from TA yesterday stating she secured free dining for us, saving $3675! We stayed at AS Music last year during this time frame. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Last year, free dining was released AFTER I booked my my dining reservations. I'm guessing that making my ADRs will be more challenging this year.

I'm stalking the Disney After Hours threads. We attended the event at Magic Kingdom last August and it was wonderful. I'm hoping that the event is available at MK and DHS during our stay.

Staying at AS Music suite Aug 3 - 17. I was so happy to get an email from TA yesterday stating she secured free dining for us, saving $3675! We stayed at AS Music last year during this time frame. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Last year, free dining was released AFTER I booked my my dining reservations. I'm guessing that making my ADRs will be more challenging this year.

I'm stalking the Disney After Hours threads. We attended the event at Magic Kingdom last August and it was wonderful. I'm hoping that the event is available at MK and DHS during our stay.

Awesome, welcome aboard. I added you to the roll call.

We missed the After Hours event last year. There were none while we were there, but I am also keeping an eye on that thread for our dates.

UPDATE: We are now going to be in Orlando from 8/26-9/3! We're planning on renting an offsite place from 8/26-8/30 unless i can find an amazing deal, and we're planning 6 park days plus a couple of resort dines :) Can't wait to go home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter