The Official What's For Dinner thread:Thursday 1-24-08? Recipe finder in OP. Enjoy! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathy, Thanks for this recipe it's sounds delish! I'm gonna try it sometime this week! DH & I were craving really nice shrimp last night but I didn't have any big ones in the freezer. So I decided to boil some of those frozen king crab legs from Sam's instead. Have you tried them? They tasted so fresh, I was really pleasantly surprised! I boiled them like we usually do with all the regular seafood boil seasonings but still served them with lemon & butter! Oh, it was so good!

I've never tried them. Last time I was at Sam's I saw them, they were pretty but pricey. I may have to give them a try!

:cool1: :banana: :yay: Sandy, I'm so glad it worked!!! They are beautiful, I am totally impressed with your sushi rolling skills! WOW!!!:thumbsup2 I going to have to go get another mat & try it, but I don't know if I can do it as well as you did! Do you have any tips on cooking the rice?
Thanks for the compliment, but they really are very easy to make. I want to try to get that little piece of nori not to show up in the middle of the roll, it looks like a lowercase "e".
Oh, I have lots of tips for you. I used Alton Brown's sushi rice recipe http://http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31390,00.html?rsrc=search. It makes quite a lot of rice. You don't have to keep rinsing the rice until the water is completely clear, 3 times is plenty, unless the water is so cloudy that you can't see through it at all. The sugar and salt will most likely not dissolve completely in the vinegar, just mix it all into the rice and it will work out fine. I've read in several books that you can leave the rice out on the counter pretty much all day if you cover it with a damp cloth.
If you want tips on how to roll it, let me know. I learned a lot by trial and error.

Garlic & Wine Grilled Shrimp

This recipe is a basic marinade/basting sauce. You can choose whether you like to grill the shrimp with shells or without, in a grill basket or on skewers. I boil the reserved marinade and use it as a dipping sauce. This recipe is enough for 2 lbs of shrimp.

1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. white wine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. oregano
3-4 bay leaves
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients, mix well then add shrimp and marinate 4 hours. Remove shrimp from marinade and place in grill basket or thread on skewers. While grilling, baste with marinade.

This sounds so yummy!

Happy Birthday, Kyle! :bday: :cake:

Here's the other picture I was trying to post. It's the fruit arrangement I made for my mom for Mother's Day.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1025/528494611_ce94896400_o.jpg

How beautiful you are very talented.:thumbsup2

Happy birthday to Kyle:cake:

The zoo was nice a few cicada's not bad in the part we went to, we started to go into the older section were there hasn't been to much change and they were flying everywhere. My son started to flip out so we came home good thing because about 20 minutes later we had a downpour.

Those Garlic and wine shrimp sound really good, I have to work on dear ole son to give shrimp another try. He ate a few tail first and remarked how crunchy the shrimp were? He thinks I did it on purpose to laugh at him :rolleyes1 Kids you have to love them cause you can't throw them back :rotfl:

Kathy, that shrimp sounds yummy! Thanks!

Sandy, the sushi looks great and the fruit arrangement came out beautifully. I have always wanted to try and make one...that you for posting!!! :thumbsup2 :)

liamandcaili ~ Thanks for helping me figure out how to post the sushi picture. I finally got it to work. :yay: It was driving me nuts. :upsidedow

You're welcome! It took me forever to figure out how to do it the first time, and I still have no idea how to get them to show up in my post without a link. Your pictures look great. I've never had sushi, although I have had sashimi, and it was yummy. I would probably like sushi too. My favorite raw stuff though is oysters. It tastes like I'm eating the ocean.

-- Laura

Sandy - the fruit arrangement is really beautiful, you are talented my dear!!

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes for Kyle, he's been out boating with his friends' family and he and his GF should be coming in any minute. I'll be sure and show him all of your kind wishes before he digs into dinner!!

Janice - your son's shrimp story had me rolling!:laughing:

WOW, how beautiful! :)
How beautiful you are very talented.:thumbsup2
Sandy, the sushi looks great and the fruit arrangement came out beautifully. I have always wanted to try and make one...that you for posting!!! :thumbsup2 :)
Lauren ~ You should definitely give it a try, it's really not difficult. Check out the directions I used. http://www.plan-the-perfect-baby-shower.com/fruit-bouquet.html
Sandy - the fruit arrangement is really beautiful, you are talented my dear!!
:goodvibes Thank you for all your kind words, but if you guys knew how easy it was you wouldn't be so impressed. Anyone can do it.

Sandy--wow on both the sushi and the fruit arrangement!:thumbsup2

WFD tonight was some grilled salmon spiced with cumin, pepper and salt. And served with the salmon with a relish of grilled corn, grilled jalapenos, tomatoes and cilantro. Yummy--very light, very summer-y!

Tonight I am making garlic roasted chicken w/ rosemary and lemon, with rice and peas on the side.

WFD at your house?

I'm going to go put something in my crock pot. I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and I need lots of crockpot ideas..... anybody got any favorites?? My new hours are 12-4 so the crockpot and I need to bond.

Tonight is a pasta dish with asparagus--need to go look at the recipe to find out exactly what it is. Our laptop's wireless card died, and I don't have the recipes in our office with me.

Oh by the way my alas is Janice (Hershey with spelled the right way is my dog, hersey the wrong way is how my old computer typed his name)

Hi Janice

I was wondering what your dates for disney were... We are going October 11th - October 17th. I think our dates are close. It would be great to meet up at the food and wine festival. You know how much NancyG56 loves wine!!!

Good morning everyone!

It's Red Beans & Rice Monday here.

Have a great day everyone!

I've never tried them. Last time I was at Sam's I saw them, they were pretty but pricey. I may have to give them a try!

It was pricey but actually the best king crab I've eaten! Tasted better than anything I've had at rest., so it was worth it!

Thanks for the compliment, but they really are very easy to make. I want to try to get that little piece of nori not to show up in the middle of the roll, it looks like a lowercase "e".
Oh, I have lots of tips for you. I used Alton Brown's sushi rice recipe http://http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31390,00.html?rsrc=search. It makes quite a lot of rice. You don't have to keep rinsing the rice until the water is completely clear, 3 times is plenty, unless the water is so cloudy that you can't see through it at all. The sugar and salt will most likely not dissolve completely in the vinegar, just mix it all into the rice and it will work out fine. I've read in several books that you can leave the rice out on the counter pretty much all day if you cover it with a damp cloth.
If you want tips on how to roll it, let me know. I learned a lot by trial and error.

Here's the other picture I was trying to post. It's the fruit arrangement I made for my mom for Mother's Day.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1025/528494611_ce94896400_o.jpg

Sandy, thanks for the rice info. But after seeing your beautiful fruit arrangement, I'm really not sure I've got the talent you have to pull off the sushi! But I'm going to give it a go. Did everyone eat the fruit or just look at how pretty it was?!

WFD tonight, I'm going to cook Glynis's Roast! I don't want to be out of the loop, so I've got to give it a try. :goodvibes I was going to cook one of my DH's favs our typical Monday meal of red beans & rice. But I want to do something for my DD. She is having a tough time with work & she is back in school getting her MBA. She has been really stressed out with some work & school issues and I'm a bit worried about her. She likes roast so I'm going to cook that & run it over to her for their dinner tonight. Roast with either mashed potatoes or rice & sauteed spinach will be dinner tonight.

Have a good day everyone,
Sheryl

Sheryl -- From what everyone on this thread says, Glynis's pot roast will certainly make your DD feel better. Graduate school can definitely be stressful at times. I remember when my dad was earning his MBA he was struggling to learn calculus at age 40-something, but then he befriended two German students who were whizzes at math. Dad helped them with some management concepts they were unfamiliar with and they helped him with the math, and they all passed the class. I'm sure your daughter will find a way out of her difficulties too, and when she graduates, both you and she will be so proud! I wish her the best of luck (and a really good meal tonight!)

Tonight is a skating night (just three more weeks...) so I'm making corn chowder this afternoon, and I'll reheat it for myself when I get home. It's another cold and dreary day here, so soup will taste really good after an hour in the rink.

Kathy - Happy Birthday to Kyle! Drink heavily while he is out with the car on his own. It may be the key to maintaining your sanity.

Sandy - I'm in awe. That's all I can say.

Tonight's dinner is going to be Kathy's creole shrimp stuffed peppers. I've been dying to try them and I finally remembered to let the bread get stale.

Gretchen

Hi Janice

I was wondering what your dates for disney were... We are going October 11th - October 17th. I think our dates are close. It would be great to meet up at the food and wine festival. You know how much NancyG56 loves wine!!!

We arrive on 9/30 and leave 10/7. We are catching the last of the value season. We're staying at my fav WL. It would have been great to meet up with you too. Maybe in the future it will work out. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter