The officially un-official tips and what we learned from our trip (All Star Sports)

Day 1: Check in 3pm / $308 dinner Portobello
Day 2: $35 snack / $84 lunch Seasons / $395 dinner Hoop dee doo revue
Day 3: $35 snack / $95 lunch La Cantina / $320 dinner T-Rex
Day 4: $35 snack / $79 lunch Leaning Palms / $406 Ohana
Day 5: $35 snack / $96 lunch Restaurantosaurus / $345 Grand floridian cafe
Day 6: $35 snack / $87 lunch Columbia House / $92 dinner Endzone
Day 7: $35 snack / No lunch / $413 Spirit of Aloha

Total: $2900 for 2 appetizers, entree for everyone, and desert.

With Dining Plan: $3050 for no appetizers, entree, and desert.

But WAIT! Hoop Dee Doo requires TWO dining credits. So does Spirit of Aloha.

Therefore, TWO of those dinners we would have had to pay out of pocket ANYWAY - Adding an extra $400 to $600 in cost. Therefore making the dining plan really $3500 to $3800.

--

It's confusing to many because they got caught in the Disney trap.

You ONLY break even by purchasing the most expensive item EVERY SINGLE TIME. Yeah, I could order a $50 steak but what if I WANT or am craving that $15 pasta meal? Etc.

It's why disney got rid of appetizers from the dining plan.

Without details on what everyone ordered, it's really too hard to evaluate.

But I've never been one to use 2 credits on a meal. Just not a good value.

Bottom line is that each family has to evaluate individually and not buy it just because they think it will save them money. But you can't dismiss it out of hand unless you are doing so for your own family and your own personal eating habits.

If we were taking our oldest son, I would lean toward wanting the dining plan, just so we would have our meals be free of the "why do you always want to order the most expensive thing on the menu!" arguments.

I do see that you did no character meals, which is probably why you have a different opinion than some. We do every character meal we can schedule, so it's given when you walk in the door that you're ordering the most expensive thing on the menu.

Bottom line is that each family has to evaluate individually and not buy it just because they think it will save them money. But you can't dismiss it out of hand unless you are doing so for your own family and your own personal eating habits.

If we were taking our oldest son, I would lean toward wanting the dining plan, just so we would have our meals be free of the "why do you always want to order the most expensive thing on the menu!" arguments.

I do see that you did no character meals, which is probably why you have a different opinion than some. We do every character meal we can schedule, so it's given when you walk in the door that you're ordering the most expensive thing on the menu.

Then youre missing some of the best experiences at Disney.

Hoop Dee Doo is a MUST at least ONCE.

And Ohana is one of the best meals on all of property IMO.

Yes, we did no character meals. However, once again, many character meals are TWO credits.

Disney is NOT STUPID. They want to make money on the meal plan.

Dont get me wrong. I was fooled as well. I purchased the dining plan 9 years ago. Then I read an article by a mathematician who broke it down and showed how much most people are losing and it changed my entire way of thinking.

Yes, we did no character meals. However, once again, many character meals are TWO credits.

Dont get me wrong. I was fooled as well. I purchased the dining plan 9 years ago. Then I read an article by a mathematician who broke it down and showed how much most people are losing and it changed my entire way of thinking.

I must be wrong, but the only character meal I know of that is 2 credits is CRT. And we pay OOP if we go there.

This is really an academic discussion for me, because we only go during free dining. And while I agree that many people get hosed on the dining plan, it's not as cut and dried as you make it out to be.

You guys are both right. It is a case by case situation.

The vast majority of people are not saving money on the dining plan. Those that are, generally eat lots of character meals or order steaks at every meal.

We used to do the DDP, when apps were included. Nowadays, there is pretty much no way for us to save money on the DDP.

We would much rather have TiW and have a guaranteed 20% discount on everything we order (alcohol, apps, entrees, sides, etc). Even if we didn't have an AP we would still not save money with the DDP because of how we eat.

You guys are both right. It is a case by case situation.

The vast majority of people are not saving money on the dining plan. Those that are, generally eat lots of character meals or order steaks at every meal.

We used to do the DDP, when apps were included. Nowadays, there is pretty much no way for us to save money on the DDP.

We would much rather have TiW and have a guaranteed 20% discount on everything we order (alcohol, apps, entrees, sides, etc). Even if we didn't have an AP we would still not save money with the DDP because of how we eat.

:thumbsup2

We would be doing that too if we were AP holders.

However, once again, many character meals are TWO credits.
Only CRT costs two credits. We're doing all our table service credits on our upcoming trip as character meals. But we're going during free dining. With 4 adults in a value room (we did upgrade to the table service plan), we're definitely coming out ahead! But we wouldn't have paid for the dining plan.

I would have to agree that NOT being on the DDP amounts to significant savings for my family (2 adults, 2 teen boys). I have been to WDW over 25 times and have calculated the costs following the majority of recent trips (was not aware of DDP on our first several trips). We do at least 1 character and 2-3 table service meals each trip, with the rest being counter service. We do not skip any meals and have our fill of snacks/drinks. On our most recent trip last month, I saved $738 by not using the DDP. That is just my experience with my family. Each family will have their own preferences but you can eat just as well and not have to deny yourself anything by paying out of pocket.

Only CRT costs two credits. We're doing all our table service credits on our upcoming trip as character meals. But we're going during free dining. With 4 adults in a value room (we did upgrade to the table service plan), we're definitely coming out ahead! But we wouldn't have paid for the dining plan.

You are the perfect candidates for getting value out of the dining plan.

I would have to agree that NOT being on the DDP amounts to significant savings for my family (2 adults, 2 teen boys). I have been to WDW over 25 times and have calculated the costs following the majority of recent trips (was not aware of DDP on our first several trips). We do at least 1 character and 2-3 table service meals each trip, with the rest being counter service. We do not skip any meals and have our fill of snacks/drinks. On our most recent trip last month, I saved $738 by not using the DDP. That is just my experience with my family. Each family will have their own preferences but you can eat just as well and not have to deny yourself anything by paying out of pocket.

$700 savings! Nice!

If you didn't eat a table service meal every day, then you really can't compare. And it really sounds like you would not be good candidates for the dining plan.

We love the table service meals and use them as in-park rest time on our open to close touring days. But if you like to mix it up and eat TS only some days, then none of the dining plans really works for you. It sounds like you made a great choice to bypass it.

You are the perfect candidates for getting value out of the dining plan.

Ehhh...

It's BETTER with character dining, but still not a value.

The average character meal is $32 to $36. The average counter service meal with drink is $13 to $17. Average snack is $5. Total of $54. Even with tax you're under the $61 for dining.

Thats including the fact that the best character dining is CRT and that's 2 credits AND you would be missing some of the best dining in Disney by doing character dining every day.

My 2 cents.

If you didn't eat a table service meal every day, then you really can't compare. And it really sounds like you would not be good candidates for the dining plan.

We love the table service meals and use them as in-park rest time on our open to close touring days. But if you like to mix it up and eat TS only some days, then none of the dining plans really works for you. It sounds like you made a great choice to bypass it.

You are correct of course; however, this is a big argument against the DDP for a lot of people- you have to eat like Disney wants you to eat, there's no meal plan for the group of people who would fit between the QS and TS plan, you have to commit to one group.

We are like you and love our TS meals, a lot of days we prefer to do 2 TS meals vs. eating at a CS (granted having a TiW card makes this easier to do); however, there's also no plan for the people who would fit between the regular and the deluxe plan.

Everybody vacations differently and eats differently, which makes any of Disney's meal plan options difficult to judge on someone else's vacation. I just want people to make sure they are informed about their spending, because many people are getting ripped off by the DDP and don't know it.

All Star Sports 7/3/14 to 7/10/14

In no particular order:

• Biggest pet peeve - Disney, you are a multi-billion dollar corporation. You couldnt have created a MagicBand system that worked whether its upside down, rightside up, sideways, a foot away or whatever? Seriously? The whole trip i watched people have to be told to exactly match up the Mickey's. Being a computer saavy/programmer guy myself, they should have made it so the system could read the chip from any angle. Ridiculous.

• Ohana is excellent. I was worried after reading reviews from those who said it has changed and went downhill. If it was better before, then I'm blown away. It was the best meal of the trip.

• Portobello's was awful and probably one of the worst meals i've had in a long time. The worst PIZZA i've ever had and that includes Chuck-E-Cheese.

• The massive renovations in downtown Disney will be awesome for the future but SUCKS for those going now. Takes away from the whole atmosphere by the river. Oh well. Here's to the future I suppose :hippie:

• I liked Fastpasses the way they were when they were first introduced. You went up to the ride, and grabbed a fastpass from the machine. The CM's blocking the standby line to let fastpass people go through is just annoying. Let the lines merge naturally like they used to in the "olden" (lol) days.

• Did the Luau. Had to laugh at all the reviews calling it "corny". It's no more corny than every single Disney show on property. Food isn't amazing but it was a fun time. That bread pudding dessert was amazing.

• I was disappointed that the "Cool Zone" or whatever it is called in Epcot is no longer FREEZING inside! This is my first trip to Disney in 9 years so obviously things change, but when I last went I remember an icy look to the outside and it being soooo cold inside. Now its just another store. Oh well.

• Disney sent us a cooler bag with our family name embroidered on it and popcorn, apples, candy, rice krispie treats, water, etc inside. Do they do this for everyone? I dont remember this last time.

• We brought out 8 month old little girl and still had a blast -- for all those wondering whether you can bring a baby to Disney and still have fun. YES!

• Our "preferred" room at All Star Sports was about as far back as some non-preferred rooms. I could throw a baseball to the hoops hotel from our room.

• For us, the resort drink cup was WORTH IT. We got about 25 drinks out of that for $17.99

• Dining is officially a WASTE OF MONEY. Sorry for those who already payed it. The math shows it, and now the actual experience does. We had 7 adults for 7 nights. It would have been $3,038 for us on the dining plan with 1 snack, 1 counter service, and 1 sit down each day. We passed, and got 2 appetizers, an entree, and dessert each at every sit down meal (dinner). We ordered to our hearts content for counter service including drinks and desert. We ate at Ohana, Portobellos, Luau, T-Rex, Grand Floridian Cafe, End Zone Food Court, and Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Total spent: $2600 ... and we hate more and had appetizers etc. If we stuck to the dining plan rules, we probably would had saved A TON more.

• By the 3rd day I officially wished we did the Memory Maker :( -- just would have been so much easier than finding someone to take our group pic every time and teaching them how to work the phone etc.

• It was extremely busy and all 3 all-stars were at near capacity from what I heard, however busses were never an issue. The mantra of Music and Movies being 2nd and last on the stops is way, way, way, way, way overblown. If youre going to MK or Epcot you wont EVER share a bus with another resort. If youre going somewhere like Downtown or Blizzard Beach where only 10 people from each resort are going at one time, then you *may* share a bus but it wont matter because so few people want to go at one time.

• Curious why they dont use extended busses for popular parks like MK and Epcot?

I want to go back RIGHT NOW!!! :)

I'll add more if I think of anything. :artist:

Thanks for the post :) Good review!

I haven't seen the DTD renovation in full swing but it sounds pretty terrible. However, I was just talking to my friend who went to Disney for the first time last month. She stayed a a good neighbor hotel and did no advance planning.

She had a blast, and also said one of her favorite areas was DTD which was a 10 minute walk from her hotel. She said at first she didn't realize that there was construction going on and that all the walls up were because of it. Because she didn't have anything to compare it to, she wasn't bothered in the least.

Table service meals or not, you still don't get a value.

You can try to convince yourself all you want but youre wrong.

I'll say it again: the ONE and ONLY way to get full value out of the dining plan is to order the most expensive item on the menu EVERY SINGLE MEAL.

Thats the way Disney formulated it. That they would still be making money, even if everyone ordered the most expensive item. Thats the point!

You are correct of course; however, this is a big argument against the DDP for a lot of people- you have to eat like Disney wants you to eat, there's no meal plan for the group of people who would fit between the QS and TS plan, you have to commit to one group.

We are like you and love our TS meals, a lot of days we prefer to do 2 TS meals vs. eating at a CS (granted having a TiW card makes this easier to do); however, there's also no plan for the people who would fit between the regular and the deluxe plan.

Everybody vacations differently and eats differently, which makes any of Disney's meal plan options difficult to judge on someone else's vacation. I just want people to make sure they are informed about their spending, because many people are getting ripped off by the DDP and don't know it.

Great points.

Exactly that!

Nope we didn't buy it. When we entered our room we stared at it like "what the heck is this".

I ordered one of these for my DS and DDIL and I had it sent to their room as a
surprise. I think someone that you know, ordered it for you as a surprise. I never heard of Disney doing something like this, but I guess it could happen. We rented a pontoon boat for an hour, and when they heard it was my DH's birthday, they said the boat ride was free, "no charge"!!!

Table service meals or not, you still don't get a value.

You can try to convince yourself all you want but youre wrong.

I'll say it again: the ONE and ONLY way to get full value out of the dining plan is to order the most expensive item on the menu EVERY SINGLE MEAL.

Thats the way Disney formulated it. That they would still be making money, even if everyone ordered the most expensive item. Thats the point!

As I said, we only do free dining, so I suspect we're more in agreement than it appears. If we had to pay out of pocket, we'd probably come out pretty close to a wash as our eating habits are pretty close to what Disney builds into that plan.

What might sway things in the direction of the DDP though would be the intangibles of not needing to argue with anyone over the cost of what they were ordering. And not seeing my husband fret over the price in the midst of our magical vacation. :)

Ehhh...

The average character meal is $32 to $36. The average counter service meal with drink is $13 to $17. Average snack is $5. Total of $54. Even with tax you're under the $61 for dining.

Thats including the fact that the best character dining is CRT and that's 2 credits AND you would be missing some of the best dining in Disney by doing character dining every day.

My 2 cents.

Believe me I'm not an advocate of the dining plan. I haven't done it in years. However, if you're doing free dining and have four adults in a room the math is a lot different. You're not paying full price for the DDP, you're paying the room only discount that you've chosen to forego by doing free dining. (20% RO discount vs. free dining). When you have four "Disney" adults in one room, this often makes the DDP less than full price (not always, have to do the math by resort and discount individually)

If you are doing DINNER character meals, then you are spending more than the averages you listed. I won't debate you on food quality; however, if you're really concerned about food quality you probably are eating signature meals a lot, making the dining plans useless even by their most ardent defenders.

Ehhh...

My 2 cents.

You clearly value different things in your dining experiences than we do. We're character hunters and love that the table service meals can be an extension of the park experience. So you go off and enjoy all that great food we're missing and we'll go off and enjoy all that great character interaction we love.

And I don't remember the exact pricing of those character meals, but I think BTK is right and dinner in particular is more than you are recalling. Yes, the dining plan is crazy high. But at the same time they've been raising those prices, they have also been raising the price of the character meals.

I know my daughter and I did a character breakfast last summer at 1900 Park Fare (as in, over a year ago, so the price is probably higher now) and it was $80. Dinner is more of course.

You clearly value different things in your dining experiences than we do. We're character hunters and love that the table service meals can be an extension of the park experience. So you go off and enjoy all that great food we're missing and we'll go off and enjoy all that great character interaction we love.

And I don't remember the exact pricing of those character meals, but I think BTK is right and dinner in particular is more than you are recalling. Yes, the dining plan is crazy high. But at the same time they've been raising those prices, they have also been raising the price of the character meals.

I know my daughter and I did a character breakfast last summer at 1900 Park Fare (as in, over a year ago, so the price is probably higher now) and it was $80. Dinner is more of course.

It's been awhile since I've done a character meal at Crystal Palace, but a quick trip to the Disney website shows a range of $30-$59 per adult. I believe it has to do with season and meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter