The officially un-official tips and what we learned from our trip (All Star Sports)

I ordered one of these for my DS and DDIL and I had it sent to their room as a
surprise. I think someone that you know, ordered it for you as a surprise. I never heard of Disney doing something like this, but I guess it could happen. We rented a pontoon boat for an hour, and when they heard it was my DH's birthday, they said the boat ride was free, "no charge"!!!

I'm going to call and ask. I don't know anyone who would have done this.

As I said, we only do free dining, so I suspect we're more in agreement than it appears. If we had to pay out of pocket, we'd probably come out pretty close to a wash as our eating habits are pretty close to what Disney builds into that plan.

What might sway things in the direction of the DDP though would be the intangibles of not needing to argue with anyone over the cost of what they were ordering. And not seeing my husband fret over the price in the midst of our magical vacation. :)

If your eating habits are close to what Disney builds into the plan then you would SAVE MONEY by paying out of pocket.

Youre not understanding. Disney charges MORE in the plan for what youre getting out of the plan.

Why would you need to argue? Youre husband could order the most expensive item on the menu EVERY night AND get desert AND an appetizer sometimes and you would still be ahead or even.

Disney is NOT giving you a deal. Theyre not even trying to break even. They're charging what it would cost them if you ordered the most expensive thing EVERY NIGHT of your stay.

You are essentially doing what youre trying to avoid.

You clearly value different things in your dining experiences than we do. We're character hunters and love that the table service meals can be an extension of the park experience. So you go off and enjoy all that great food we're missing and we'll go off and enjoy all that great character interaction we love.

And I don't remember the exact pricing of those character meals, but I think BTK is right and dinner in particular is more than you are recalling. Yes, the dining plan is crazy high. But at the same time they've been raising those prices, they have also been raising the price of the character meals.

I know my daughter and I did a character breakfast last summer at 1900 Park Fare (as in, over a year ago, so the price is probably higher now) and it was $80. Dinner is more of course.

I like characters as well.

And I get them for free just by moving 1 foot in front of the other while inside the parks.

It's not hard. They're everywhere.

I dont need to pay extra to see them while I eat crappy food.

OP what method of transportation did you use to get to DTD? I know parking is a mess and there have been reports of the buses not being ideal either. Trying to figure out our strategy for doing a day there.

Ehhh...

It's BETTER with character dining, but still not a value.

The average character meal is $32 to $36. The average counter service meal with drink is $13 to $17. Average snack is $5. Total of $54. Even with tax you're under the $61 for dining.

Thats including the fact that the best character dining is CRT and that's 2 credits AND you would be missing some of the best dining in Disney by doing character dining every day.

My 2 cents.

One problem here is you are not counting the refillable mugs that come with the plan. If you bought those out of pocket it brings the two much closer.

OP what method of transportation did you use to get to DTD? I know parking is a mess and there have been reports of the buses not being ideal either. Trying to figure out our strategy for doing a day there.

Bus.

Downtown Disney is the only location that all 3 resorts almost always share a bus. And its a good 20 to 25 min drive from the All-Stars.

I wouldn't recommend driving personally.

I think it's a case by case basis.

For us, the last 2 trips, we had 2 Adults, 1 Child, and 1 infant. As you all know children under 3 are allowed to share with others. That being said, our 2 year old is more the size of a 4 year old, and eats like one. Being that we have 2 young children, we do character meals. Last trip was Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey, H&V Play N' Dine. The days we did those meals, the DDP paid for itself. When we went to non-buffets, we ended up ordering a meal for our little one off the menu. For us, we came out ahead. Not a significant amount, maybe $100, but not having to worry about paying a $2500 bill at the end of the week was nice. I think for a lot of people, it's the convenience that makes the DDP worth it more than the cost. That's my opinion.

Also, for our 2013 trip, we purchased the DxDP. That was just too much. We ended up trying to schedule everything around our meals. Most of our meals we weren't even hungry, and we found that we were cancelling reservations. By the end of the week, we had so many credits left over that we had to go down to the Roaring Fork at WL and just start grabbing stuff to use the credits. I think our last meal there was so much quick service food, we barely finished half of it. What a waste!!! I think the DxDP is great for a couple with no kids that would enjoy a few signature meals, and are not bound by kids wanting to see Mickey. :)

If your eating habits are close to what Disney builds into the plan then you would SAVE MONEY by paying out of pocket.

Youre not understanding. Disney charges MORE in the plan for what youre getting out of the plan.

Why would you need to argue? Youre husband could order the most expensive item on the menu EVERY night AND get desert AND an appetizer sometimes and you would still be ahead or even.

Disney is NOT giving you a deal. Theyre not even trying to break even. They're charging what it would cost them if you ordered the most expensive thing EVERY NIGHT of your stay.

You are essentially doing what youre trying to avoid.

If you are saying you pay more for the plan when comparing apples to apples, you are wrong. Disney does not have a built in profit for buying the plan. Disney makes their money by having you locked in to what you bought for DDP. Out of pocket your total can vary if you change your mind, not as hungry, etc. On the DDP you have already payed, so that is the Disney trap, locking you in to those meals.

for me its $150 a day its me my wife and my 4yo.....i guess it we really watched we could figure out a cheaper way but the dinning plan works for us:thumbsup2::yes::

Ehhh...

It's BETTER with character dining, but still not a value.

The average character meal is $32 to $36. The average counter service meal with drink is $13 to $17. Average snack is $5. Total of $54. Even with tax you're under the $61 for dining.

Thats including the fact that the best character dining is CRT and that's 2 credits AND you would be missing some of the best dining in Disney by doing character dining every day.

My 2 cents.

You're missing the kids prices. Children under 10 are $19/night. A character meal is ~$19. Their snack and QS meal (~$12 each per night) is covered at no extra cost from the dining plan cost. I now go to the same character/fixed price meal (which is how we typically eat, character meal or fixed price like 'Ohana). Dinner is about $40. QS meal is another ~15-20, snack another $5. Basically about the same OOP as DDP except we also get the refillable mug (which we would get if paying OOP). So we're saving on the 2 kids and all getting mugs (~$75). Not a huge savings, but a savings of about $270 over our 8 nights nonetheless. If we get some of the larger QS meals and share, we get additional mileage for more meals too.

Not really trying to debate, just showing you "other math".

And I get them for free just by moving 1 foot in front of the other while inside the parks.

We need to eat regardless, we don't need to wait on lines to take a picture. If I can save any time from the blistering August heat (when we go) and take the same pics in A/C while eating, bonus. Food quality is no different if you're paying by DDP vs OOP.

On a separate note, I just ordered the Memory Maker and am excited for all our ride photos and magic shots. :)

The heck with the money difference. If we didn't have the dining plan I would have to deal with my wife freaking out about the cost of each meal each day. If she can just order the plan it doesn't freak her out. We also wouldn't be doing a table service meal every day because the cost would also freak her out. You may think that is stupid but I'm the one married to her and if it helps keep her happy and able to enjoy the vacation then I don't care what anyone else thinks.

I think people that get so angry that other people use the DDP can't understand the peace of mind it can bring to others having that budgeted and paid for. Then they'll mention getting a prepaid card so it is all paid in advance and you don't have to worry about the budget. Oh no! How much is left on the card? I better get this cheap thing or skip that table service meal. Time to start yelling at the kids for not eating their expensive meal. No thanks. I'll just scan my magic band and get what I want. Same for everyone else in the family.

Not a significant amount, maybe $100, but not having to worry about paying a $2500 bill at the end of the week was nice. I think for a lot of people, it's the convenience that makes the DDP worth it more than the cost. That's my opinion.

I really think this is the main thing. We've done free dining several times, paid for the DDP, and paid OOP for meals. Obviously we saved $$ when we had free dining. When we paid for the DDP, I can't necessarily say that we saved money although we did go to some places that we probably wouldn't have otherwise like Yachtsman Steakhouse. But there is something psychologically comforting about not having to pay for something. We went without the dining plan last year and are going again for our upcoming trip. Last year I have to admit that I spent a lot more time looking at prices and receipts. I also care a lot more about whether we getting our money's worth. For example, a few years ago when we had free dining, we went to Chef Mickeys and my son decided he just wasn't hungry. He had a drink, enjoyed meeting the characters, but didn't eat anything. Since we were on free dining, I really didn't care since it wasn't costing me anything beyond the tip. But if that happened when I was paying OOP, I would be so peeved thinking of how much this was costing me and having him not eat anything.

ASSports lunch

Chili Cheese Hot Dog - with Coleslaw, Cucumber Salad or French Fries $8.99
Create Your Own Salad - with choice of grilled steak, chicken or salmon $10.99
Banana Bread $3.29
Mickey Rice Krispy Treat $3.99
(2)Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Orange Soda, Light Lemonade, Iced Tea and Apple Juice $$2.99 / $3.19

Be My Guest Dinner

Chicken Breast Provencal - pan-seared and simmered in a rustic blend of heirloom tomatoes, olives, white wine and fresh herbs with seasonal vegetables and roasted fingerling potatoes $23.49
Herb-Crusted Lamb Rack - with a stone-ground mustard demi-glace served with buttered celery root and seasonal vegetables $28.99
The "Grey Stuff" Highlight Item $4.19
Triple Chocolate Cupcake - chocolate sponge cake, chocolate mousse filling, and chocolate ganache $4.19
(2)Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Zero, Barq's Root Beer, Fanta Orange, Sprite, Minute Maid Lemonade $2.99

Snacks

Floats - soft-serve ice cream with your choice of fountain beverage $4.49
Citrus Swirl Highlight Item - orange slush with vanilla soft-serve ice cream $3.49

Couple of sodas back at the room

I did not use the most expensive items, for meals, desserts or snacks. And I only use 1 refill per person per day at hotel for drinkks, and with tax this is 122.02. Which is the cost of DDP for two adults. Its a wash.

If you are saying you pay more for the plan when comparing apples to apples, you are wrong. Disney does not have a built in profit for buying the plan. Disney makes their money by having you locked in to what you bought for DDP. Out of pocket your total can vary if you change your mind, not as hungry, etc. On the DDP you have already payed, so that is the Disney trap, locking you in to those meals.

No what I am saying is that the plan assumes you are taking the most expensive item on the menu.

Disney has no idea what you are going to order. So they base the price of the plan guesstimating that you will take a high priced item.

Therefore, when you don't want that $50 steak, but instead crave that $20 pasta, you just lost $30 you can't get back.

IMHO "Value" in the dining plan isn't just about dollars or saving money. It's about what benefits us greatest as a family. We are DVC and purchase the dining plan every time. Most of our TS meals are character meals because that is what we like, to us it's worth it. We would rather go to a character meal than wait in the hot sun or wait in line period to meet a fav character.

And this past year, with the introduction of the Star Wars meals, it was WELL worth it. Yes, we had to use two TS credits for our SW breakfast, but guess what? We didn't have to wait in line for my boys to see Darth Vader and Boba Fett, and to us that was priceless.

We also like the fact our DP is paid for up front and we have very minimal bills when we return from our trip. (Just paying for souvenirs and incidentals.)

OP you stated your DD was 8 month old. I would be interested to see how your opinions on Character Meals change in a couple of years.

OK. You obviously feel strongly about all of this.

You go do your thing. I'll go do mine.

:confused3

ASSports lunch

Chili Cheese Hot Dog - with Coleslaw, Cucumber Salad or French Fries $8.99
Create Your Own Salad - with choice of grilled steak, chicken or salmon $10.99
Banana Bread $3.29
Mickey Rice Krispy Treat $3.99
(2)Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Orange Soda, Light Lemonade, Iced Tea and Apple Juice $$2.99 / $3.19

Be My Guest Dinner

Chicken Breast Provencal - pan-seared and simmered in a rustic blend of heirloom tomatoes, olives, white wine and fresh herbs with seasonal vegetables and roasted fingerling potatoes $23.49
Herb-Crusted Lamb Rack - with a stone-ground mustard demi-glace served with buttered celery root and seasonal vegetables $28.99
The "Grey Stuff" Highlight Item $4.19
Triple Chocolate Cupcake - chocolate sponge cake, chocolate mousse filling, and chocolate ganache $4.19
(2)Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Zero, Barq's Root Beer, Fanta Orange, Sprite, Minute Maid Lemonade $2.99

Snacks

Floats - soft-serve ice cream with your choice of fountain beverage $4.49
Citrus Swirl Highlight Item - orange slush with vanilla soft-serve ice cream $3.49

Couple of sodas back at the room

I did not use the most expensive items, for meals, desserts or snacks. And I only use 1 refill per person per day at hotel for drinkks, and with tax this is 122.02. Which is the cost of DDP for two adults. Its a wash.

1) Why would you count drinks at ASsports when a drink cup is included? Take that money away.

2) The lunch dessert is where Disney also makes a lot of money. Many people dont eat the lunch dessert. You save that $5 x amount of people x amount of days on OOP typically.

3) highlight item??

4) Why would you count resort drinks when you have a resort cup?

You including about $15 worth of stuff that is nonsense and you know it.

No what I am saying is that the plan assumes you are taking the most expensive item on the menu.

Disney has no idea what you are going to order. So they base the price of the plan guesstimating that you will take a high priced item.

Therefore, when you don't want that $50 steak, but instead crave that $20 pasta, you just lost $30 you can't get back.

See post above this one. How you did this while ordering apps also is really weird. I would like to see the breakdown myself. But, saying this I only get DDP when its free because it doesnt work for my flexibility.

The heck with the money difference. If we didn't have the dining plan I would have to deal with my wife freaking out about the cost of each meal each day. If she can just order the plan it doesn't freak her out. We also wouldn't be doing a table service meal every day because the cost would also freak her out. You may think that is stupid but I'm the one married to her and if it helps keep her happy and able to enjoy the vacation then I don't care what anyone else thinks.

I think people that get so angry that other people use the DDP can't understand the peace of mind it can bring to others having that budgeted and paid for. Then they'll mention getting a prepaid card so it is all paid in advance and you don't have to worry about the budget. Oh no! How much is left on the card? I better get this cheap thing or skip that table service meal. Time to start yelling at the kids for not eating their expensive meal. No thanks. I'll just scan my magic band and get what I want. Same for everyone else in the family.

Yep. These are the intangibles I mentioned earlier....... the harmony it brings when it's time to order. And when it's time to pay.

My friend always stays offsite. And they always schedule a bunch of nice table service meals. And like clockwork they go to the first one, then end up cancelling most of the rest of them after here husband pays the bill on the first one.

For some, even if the DDP is a wash, it's a win.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter