The Running Thread—2023

As running goes...2023 was a down year mileage wise and with the number of races.
My first event was Princess Fairy Tale Challenge which was nice to run with my friend who I hadn't seen in awhile and doing the 5k with our wives.
I kept my running going with a trip to Philadelphia to see the Disney 100 Exhibit and run the Philly Love Run 1/2. I guess I felt good that day because I managed to PR my half by 3 minutes after eight years.
As the weather warmed up I did a Spartan Trail 1/2 which turned out to be especially brutal with the course conditions varying from slick and muddy to rock scrambles.
I did a couple more local races until my focus shifted to a new endeavor.
2023 became my Triathlon year. I had signed up for Ironman 70.3 in September and my training was very swim and bike focused since I figured my running was more than up to the task.
I competed at a local sprint length tri early in the summer just to get a feeling for the sport and the transitions. Well, that little tri scared the hell out of me. The thought of swimming a distance more than 3 times I had just done seemed impossible.
But I followed my training plan and hit all of my swim and bike distance goals and was starting to feel like I had the ability to swim the 1.2 miles, bike the 56 miles and certainly would be able to run 13.1 miles. It was just linking them together and under the time cutoffs.... But I was feeling better about it.
Until race weekend.........keeping this as brief as possible, the weather forecast had a tropical storm arriving on race day and forced the race director to shorten the swim...thankfully because that crazy, choppy, windy swim took everything I had just to survive it. I truly believe that had they left the length we would have lost athletes that morning since the helpers would have been too far apart to assist.
Anyway, I got out of the water defeated but the bike truly rejuvenated me and I completed it faster than I had ever ridden as I headed to my strong point, running. At least I thought it was...the head wind coming off the ocean made those 13.1 miles absolutely terrible. That finish line was a sight for sore eyes.
After my "69.9" I was looking for something else to challenge me and finish off my year and in a wave of bravado I signed up for a Backyard Ultra despite knowing how much I hate loop courses.
My goal was just to complete enough of the hourly 4.166 mile loops to get the dawn 'til dusk badge (about 42 miles).
Unfortunately on a training run I rolled my ankle really bad and was unable to get to my training mileage goals and each time I ventured into the trails I'd reinjure it. So, my new goal was just get to the starting line and see how far I'd go before it became too painful.
Well, it turned out to be lap 3 where I twisted the ankle again and lap 5 where I called it quits. A somewhat disappointing 20.83 miles.

Sorry this turned into a race recap.

Planning out my 2024 now and hoping it is injury free.
Spring Surprise is the only races that are currently signed up for.....thinking of Providence Marathon a couple weeks later but want to get my ankle looked at first.

2023 was always going to be a rough year. Work had a big project going live that was going to eat my soul and more than half the year was a PTO blackout. I still managed my third most miles and the only real goal of 2023 was going to be finishing Boston which I did. I already have some 2024 goals in mind but it may also be a challenging year.

We are house shopping and our CEO is retiring so while we need some change around here I am hoping it is for the better and not worse. I'm going to hope for the former but prepare for the later so I can make a quicker jump if it doesn't work out.

ETA: Of course I already started packing up my office and putting a lot into storage including my Daniels' Running Formula book that I plan to use for 1 mile and 5K improvement so if we don't move early in the year I'll be buying the updated 4th edition I suppose.

Last edited:
2023 started off with a bang. I ran a PR at the marathon including riding Everest for the first time during the marathon.

Then in early October, I wound up in the hospital with a bacterial infection. That wiped out an entire month of running and also meant that I essentially had to start all over again for Dopey training in November. So trending ahead of 2022 for overall mileage absolutely fell apart.

All that said, there's a version of this story that would have wound up requiring surgery to heal the infection and I believe that running helped accelerate the problem to where I suffered the shortness of breath from the infection before surgery was the only option and then helped give me something to work towards after being released.

So with perspective, I feel really good about the year in running regardless of what the numbers say.

2023 started off with a bang. I ran a PR at the marathon including riding Everest for the first time during the marathon.

Then in early October, I wound up in the hospital with a bacterial infection. That wiped out an entire month of running and also meant that I essentially had to start all over again for Dopey training in November. So trending ahead of 2022 for overall mileage absolutely fell apart.

All that said, there's a version of this story that would have wound up requiring surgery to heal the infection and I believe that running helped accelerate the problem to where I suffered the shortness of breath from the infection before surgery was the only option and then helped give me something to work towards after being released.

So with perspective, I feel really good about the year in running regardless of what the numbers say.
Just glad you got past the bacterial infection. From my very layman's knowledge, those can be rather nasty.

2023 was a difficult year for running. Lots of severe stressors the last few months but managed to run the NYC marathon and BQ'd with a double digit cushion for Boston 2025 but have been fighting a nagging high hamstring injury for over a year. I took time off and then slowly went back to running so I can do the WDW half and then Dumbo Double Dare but the hamstrings have flared up and I'm in almost constant pain despite my extremely low mileage and slow pace. I'm so frustrated to lose so much fitness and speed and have the pain worsen. Was actually originally planning on have the races be part of my training for Boston 2024 but not even sure if I can run the entire 13 miles at this point. Started seeing a PT finally, but we had to back down on the exercises since I'm in so much pain. @azrivest - I feel like we have similar issues since my HHT goes all the way into my glutes!

I feel like we have similar issues since my HHT goes all the way into my glutes!
For me the pain is mostly localized at the junction between the glute and the hamstring, like someone is constantly pinching me. Targeted exercises like a single leg bridge or similar seem to make the pain worse. I just don't know what to do anymore to help it.

Good luck with your PT. If you find something that works for you, keep me posted!

As we do our end of year assessments (and while I'm bored on my flight home) I thought I'd look at my Garmin to see my mileage for the year. Wasn't expecting much since I haven't run since before Thanksgiving. Was pleasantly surprised to see that I ran nearly 1000 miles in 2023. And that was a 400 mile improvement over 2022. So guess that's something to feel good about.

I think I've given up on my annual goal of "remain injury free". Although if I modify that to be "remain free from running-related injuries" then I guess I actually hit that goal for the year.

Will risk a 1 mile New Years Day run and see how my neck/spine takes it.

@dis_or_dat and @azrivest, I’ve also had a nagging high hamstring “thing” going for more than a year. I tried following all the expert advice to avoid stretching, do targeted ST, use low-drop shoes, did a round of PT… it just kept coming back. Finally through trial and error I found that 1. Low-drop shoes make it flare like crazy, and 2. A return to long yoga sessions of deep stretching through a gazillion sun salutations and warriors keeps it at bay. Basically I’m doing exactly the opposite of what’s advised, and it’s working. I’m not advising it, necessarily, and maybe I’m an extreme outlier! But the change for the better has been pretty dramatic.

@dis_or_dat and @azrivest, I’ve also had a nagging high hamstring “thing” going for more than a year. I tried following all the expert advice to avoid stretching, do targeted ST, use low-drop shoes, did a round of PT… it just kept coming back. Finally through trial and error I found that 1. Low-drop shoes make it flare like crazy, and 2. A return to long yoga sessions of deep stretching through a gazillion sun salutations and warriors keeps it at bay. Basically I’m doing exactly the opposite of what’s advised, and it’s working. I’m not advising it, necessarily, and maybe I’m an extreme outlier! But the change for the better has been pretty dramatic.
I do barre to address those issues since there are some great movements that get right into the "seat" where the glutes and hamstrings meet. Heavy weights are great for other areas, but barre is great to target those small muscles and make them work. I found out exactly how weak those muscles were when I started barre. Wow!

For me the pain is mostly localized at the junction between the glute and the hamstring, like someone is constantly pinching me. Targeted exercises like a single leg bridge or similar seem to make the pain worse. I just don't know what to do anymore to help it.

Good luck with your PT. If you find something that works for you, keep me posted!

You may have to back down to double legged bridges?

I think I have been throwing a lot of things at the wall (adding strides, changing gait to activate glutes more, PT exercises etc) and being super aggressive by running almost daily and that just made things worse. My PT actually said my gait is fine and now the pain is limiting my ability to do anything close to strides anyways. I think I'll have to add more "no run" days into my regimen so I can heal. Sigh.

Looks like my PT is following this type of plan. We were initially aggressive with pylos but had to back way back down to just isos:

I do barre to address those issues since there are some great movements that get right into the "seat" where the glutes and hamstrings meet. Heavy weights are great for other areas, but barre is great to target those small muscles and make them work. I found out exactly how weak those muscles were when I started barre. Wow!

Any specific movements that help get to those muscles? I'm pretty desperate! 😭

2023 has been trying. Few small victories during a year of car problems, familial loss, parental failures, work issues and illness. Not only did I have Covid in October, then again in November, but I am now getting over a nasty bout of Strep throat that pretty much stopped me from eating for several days including Christmas. Here’s to hoping for a better 2024.

I've been running on and off for many many years and last took running really seriously perhaps in late 2021 when I was running 5ks fairly regularly. But in 2022 real life was really busy the first few months of the year, and then I got COVID at some point in late 2022 which meant I didn't run for some time and by the time I managed to get back to running I really couldn't run fast or far.

So I started off 2023 not being able to run much. In January I was pretty much just about managing to run 1 km and 1.6 km (1 mile) distances at not very fast speeds.

Over the year I kept running and gradually managed to run faster and further. At the start of the year I found I often couldn't run more than a couple of km at a go, so I would run until I couldn't run any more, walk for maybe half an hour or so, then run again. And that was really helpful to increase my mileage at that time. And since May I've managed to run at least a total of 60 km most months (except September).

Ending off 2023 being able to run much faster and further than I could at the start of 2023. December was the month I finally really got used to running 5k distances again - have run a total of 13 5ks this month at around 33-35 minutes for a 5k, which is a very decent speed for me. And it feels great - I remember in January I had a fitness challenge to "run for at least 15 minutes" and that was something I couldn't do then... and now I can run for over 30 minutes and do this several times a week!

So overall, 2023 has been a good year for running for me.

I'm signed up for 2024 Princess half marathon weekend. This will be my first race since 2019 Wine and Dine weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. I just wish I had more time to train for it - it's still a decent gap from where I am to doing the 5k/10k/half in a runDisney weekend. At least it's not the first time I'm doing the 5k/10k/half so I know what to expect! And knowing that I have a runDisney weekend coming up has been a huge push for me to keep running over the last few months - I don't think I would have been quite as motivated to run so much otherwise.

You may have to back down to double legged bridges?

I think I have been throwing a lot of things at the wall (adding strides, changing gait to activate glutes more, PT exercises etc) and being super aggressive by running almost daily and that just made things worse. My PT actually said my gait is fine and now the pain is limiting my ability to do anything close to strides anyways. I think I'll have to add more "no run" days into my regimen so I can heal. Sigh.

Looks like my PT is following this type of plan. We were initially aggressive with pylos but had to back way back down to just isos:

Any specific movements that help get to those muscles? I'm pretty desperate! 😭
The best way I can describe it is donkey kicks, and after maybe twenty, pulse the leg on the up position 20 times. The should get into the glutes and hamstrings.

2023 started with a bang with my one and done MW 4 race challenge and an altogether amazing WDW trip followed by a super fun PW Fairytale challenge. April and May saw my 4th & 3rd best half marathon times within 2 wks of each other. Then a cross country move in August and non-traditional work schedule meant having to figure out new running routes and routines. First time specifically training for a 10k in September led to a PR, and was on track to finish 2023 with a 18 month >100k/month streak. Then stupidly went and wrenched an ankle the first week of December😭. Am tentatively back after 2.5 wks off, though still not 100%.

But it's a new year in <30 hrs, and I'm looking forward to the Rose Bowl half in Jan, LA full in Mar, and Berlin full in Sep (and possibly the DL Halloween races). Bring on 2024!

Last edited:
2023 started off sad when I got COVID the day before the Disney marathon.

Since that weekend, I have done every runDisney run lol (including the virtuals). Running has improved a lot. In November I PRd at the W&D half. Tomorrow I will hit my first 100 mile month ever. I have lost about 25 lbs since January. I have hit a million other PRs in training runs and am thinking about trying to truly race a 5K next year.

@NYC_MW doesn’t know it, but her Strava likes are what keep me motivated. :p

2024 will hopefully start with a bang as I continue toward my perfect season!

IMG_1399.jpeg

An easy 2 miles this AM with my 18 month old Golden Bailey, who now can easily run 1-2 miles with me and enjoys doing so.
2023 total 1355.44 miles.
Taking the next three days to relax and then start 2024 with 48.6 miles at WDW

IMG_0494.jpeg
Happy New Years 🎉🎉

Last edited:
December 2023 totals
Distance: 156.0km (97mi)
Average pace: 6m54s/km (11:06min/mi)
YTD: 2062km on 2023km

December was a run for the pleasure of running kind of month. I had completed 2023km around mid-month and was just cruising. However, DH asked where he was in yearly distance at that point, the answer was 1933km so he aimed to get to his birth year, then our wedding year… and this morning, we ran his last few missing meters barefoot on the beach 🏝️2023km and ready for more fun and run in 2024 😍

December 2023 (and 2023 total)

Running: 11h 20m, 64.9 miles
Strength/mobility: 6h 49m
Exercise bike: 40m
Total: 18h 50m

Because I didn't start running again after Space Coast until mid-December, I managed my lowest-mileage month since last June! 🤣 Still not really feeling back to normal yet but getting there.

Even with December being a low-mileage month for me, overall I ran way more in 2023 than ever before! I made myself a chart so I could see my progress:

1704049156213.png

Just over 800 miles more than last year! 😮 I didn't quite manage the year in miles but well exceeded it in km (2925) - we can count that, right? 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter