The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD
Apple Watch 7 and the activity app that comes with it. Used to use map my run and interval pro for run walk, but the latest watch iOS and app update do intervals as well and I really like the amount of info that it gives me. Use shoe cycle to track miles on the shoes after each run.
Not much to plan at the moment most runs are the same 5 mile loop I’ve been running for the past couple years. Hoping the new rail trail is finished next month which will open easy access to more miles than I need

This is what’s making me look seriously at a 2-week or 3-week cycle, though it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Know who highly recommends it, though? MEB. I mean, dude’s still killing it running around for fun where I live, so if MEB says it’s a good idea it probably, is, right?! I may need a spread sheet to figure it out…
I have also been thinking about this!

When I was teaching, we had "special classes" (art, music, PE, etc) on a 6 day rotating schedule. So, instead of art every Monday, PE on Tuesday, etc my class had art on day 1, PE on day 2. I may not be explaining this well, but it was a great system.

There are some things that I have to do on certain days of the week, but I don't see why I couldn't rotate everything else through on a cycle that's longer than a week. I just need to figure out the specifics.

I use Nike Run Club right now. I like the functionality and their guided runs. I asked for a Garmin for Mother’s Day so I might switch to that if I like it better, or figure out if it can automatically sync with NRC.

Speaking of Mother’s Day, my extremely clingy toddler has decided I’m not allowed to run. He saw me changing into workout clothes after dinner and said “no running!!!!” So, that’s a great development for when I need to do long runs on the weekend. Hopefully he’ll grow out of it by fall! :P

ATTQOTD: I plan my runs out in an Excel spreadsheet. I take one of the old plans @DopeyBadger made for me and enter it into the spreadsheet working backwards from race day. Once the basic plan has been entered, I'll go in and make any adjustments needed. When I complete a run (measured using my Garmin) I'll enter the distance, pace and T+D into the spreadsheet for tracking.

ATTQOTD: Another garmin user here. For planning routes, it’s pretty much whatever I feel like that day although I do most of my weekday runs on the same trail. If I’m in a new place, I sometimes look at the garmin heat maps but also usually consult Google maps or all trails.

About 15 years ago I was using a website called daily mile where i would trace out my route on a map after the run to figure out how far I ran and then enter the time that my cheap stopwatch/watch recorded. Boy have times changed 😄

QOTD: How many days a week do you prefer to run?

ATTQOTD: 5 Days is my preference.

I prefer 4 or 5 and generally alternate between the two.

QOTD: What app or system to do use to track and/or plan your runs?

ATTQOTD: I use the Garmin app which my watch uploads to after my runs. While I am able to put everything as far as a running plan onto the app, I prefer to use a excel spreadsheet.

For those who have been tracking for a long enough time, yall remember the good ole days of having the plug the watch into the computer instead of blue tooth? The GPS watches have come a long way folks lol.

My primary app is Garmin and then that syncs with SportTracks and also Strava. For planning I'll generally build any courses with the Garmin website but if I'm traveling I like the Strava routes a little better.

ATTQOTD: I use a Garmin that syncs with Strava and Runkeeper. The Jack Daniels app V.O2 gives me my plan, and I program the workouts in Garmin Connect. If I'm not in a training cycle, I figure up how many maintenance miles I want to be running and simply make my own plan.

ATYQOTD: Billy sends me a pdf of a plan, I manually transfer it to an Excel spreadsheet so I look at each run, then as I do each one, I use the / cell border to cross it off. Pace/distance tracked with a Garmin watch and it also transfers to my Run The Year tracker.

ATTQOTD: My workouts are planned by my coach in Training Peaks, which pushes them to Garmin Connect. From there, they sync to my watch, my bike computer, and my Stryd. The opposite flow happens when I save a workout, with all commentary and discussion of how things went being done in Training Peaks.

ATTQOTD: My workouts are planned by my coach in Training Peaks, which pushes them to Garmin Connect. From there, they sync to my watch, my bike computer, and my Stryd. The opposite flow happens when I save a workout, with all commentary and discussion of how things went being done in Training Peaks.
ATTQOTD: Same! My training plan sits in Training Peaks and my running coach uploads the workouts and notes. I also run with a Garmin Forerunner 55 and it all syncs. The data is sent to my garmin app, training peaks and Strava (so my nosey friends can see how I am doing, LOL). 🤣 It feels like a lot of technology at times (haha) but it never fails--after I run (especially races or long workouts/training runs), I am obsessed and analyzing my metrics and performance. 🤷‍♀️

You guys, I’m so sad! It’s finally going to be spring this weekend and I have to cancel all my runs because of a sudden onset of plantar fasciitis. I’m icing and resting and massaging the foot and calf and basically trying everything I can to make it through Springtime Surprise next weekend. I’m even wearing shoes in the house, which I HATE. Any magic solutions you all have are welcome.

You guys, I’m so sad! It’s finally going to be spring this weekend and I have to cancel all my runs because of a sudden onset of plantar fasciitis. I’m icing and resting and massaging the foot and calf and basically trying everything I can to make it through Springtime Surprise next weekend. I’m even wearing shoes in the house, which I HATE. Any magic solutions you all have are welcome.

I'm sorry to hear that you are hurting. PF is the worst!

My suggestions:
- Yep, wear the shoes ALL OF THE TIME! I hated it too, but I did find my Oofos slides were tolerable - and easy to slip on as I got out of bed in the morning.
- Calf stretches from a lunge position (I'm sure you can find a video on the internet). Also, flex your foot and then stretch your big toe upward using either your hand or your other foot. This one sounds crazy, but it does help.
- Massage gun or foam roll your calf. For me, everything started because of my tight calves so getting those to loosen up was key.
- Sit as much as you can. When you do, make sure that you are sitting with your feet on the ground and not flexed/pointed.
- Vitamin I (i.e. anti-inflammatories) to calm the irritation
- KT Tape
- Consider getting a PF splint to wear at night. You can find them easily on Amazon.

Sending healing vibes...:crutches:

When I saw my PT for pf last summer these are things he had me do (obviously these were based on my specific case and ymmv, I am not a doctor)

-stretch my calf as often as possible, for 2min at a time. He had me do both straight-leg and bent-knee calf stretches (the bent knee ones felt soooo good in an OMG my calf is so tight kind of way.)

-eccentric heel drops on my stairs (for the affected leg.) 16 of them every other day. Basically, a slow opposite-of-a-calf-raise. Give it a google for a demo.

-k-tape, BUT this was based on an additional issue I was having with my achilles. I got through runs prior to having treatment with some k-tape applications, that eventually didn't do enough to get me through.

They also did graston scraping on that calf which was SUPER uncomfortable and honestly felt like they were bruising the entire back of my leg (it was tender for a few days after each time they did it.) Some chiropractors do graston, so that may be an option too.

Last edited:
I tried all the usual solutions for PF some years ago to no avail. The one thing that finally worked was a cortisone shot. Cleared it up in less than 24 hours. Doctors generally like to exhaust the stretching, rolling, sock at night type options before going to the shot, but given the urgency of your situation it might be an option sooner.

-He also told me to keep running, and that NOT running wasn't really going to help me (and I had just taken 2 months off, thinking that would make it go away, and it.did.not.)

-They also did graston scraping on that calf which was SUPER uncomfortable and honestly felt like they were bruising the entire back of my leg (it was tender for a few days after each time they did it.) Some chiropractors do graston, so that may be an option too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter