The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: If I am training for an event I usually have a least two workouts a week where am either doing speed intervals or a tempo run. I'm not in a specific training cycle now but I still seem to average at least one interval training cycle a week. Most of my easy runs on treadmills seem to turn into progression runs too.

ATTQOTD: I joined a track club this summer and already I'm seeing progress, even after May was a lighter month for running. This is the first time I've really done track workouts since high school. My coach has me doing other speedwork on the roads, and I make sure one run each week is an easy run.

ATTQOTD: Yes, I do speedwork 1-2 times a week during a training block (plus a couple of easy runs with strides). I hate the track, so I just do those workouts on my usual (paved) running trails. I prefer time-based intervals to distance-based ones for that reason, and I've had to get used to variations in my splits due to grade adjustments, but mostly it works out!

ATTQOTD: Not currently doing "speed work", per se, more like "up tempo". But in the past, when I trained more seriously, I did speed work mostly on a TM at the gym I belonged to. Then I quite the gym during COVID and figured that was that. But I have since done speedwork even in mid-winter on clear local (quiet) roads, and also at our HS track--which happens to be 1.5 miles from the house, so good warmup/cool down distance. I will say that I do like doing stuff at the track, since regular roads mean potentially uneven pavement and traffic. Mentally, that's a drag.

ATTQOTD: yes, I have a speed workout each week in this training plan. Every other Thursday, I do 400m repeats, and every other Tuesday, I do either long hill repeats or short hills repeats. I do a Magic Mile every 4 weeks.

I’m also attempting to spice up my Saturday runs by doing 60/60 run/walk intervals (instead of my normal 30/45) and progression runs on alternating weeks, but the summer heat and my inability to get going early enough has been derailing those to a certain extent. The 60/60 is good for me because it helps me build stamina to run a little longer at a time, while simultaneously making me run a little slower, since I’m still aiming for the same easy pace as I would when running 30/45.

I do my speed work on roads or trails, not having access to a track of any sort.

ATTQOTD: I have not done specific speed training in a couple of years, but I consider my twice a week Orange Theory classes as sort of speed workouts since I do them at a faster pace than my trail long runs.

ATTQOTD: My current training plan does not have speed work, but when I'm actually training for a race, then yes. I usually do 2-3 faster than long run paced workouts a week depending on the training. Unless the workout's expressed purpose is to be on hills, then I will do anything faster than HM Tempo on a flat-ish road loop. If it's slower than HM Tempo, then it's likely to be on hills since that's what I encounter for races in WI. If the expressed purpose is a hilly workout, then I'll go as fast as near full out effort on hills as well. Since all my races are on road surface, I do all my outdoor training on the road. If I had a convenient track option, then I might consider it. But I'd keep in mind that depending on the type of track surface it may aid in pacing slightly more than road surface does. So it may inflate my capabilities slightly when converting what I'm capable of on a track versus the road.

QOTD: Does your weekly training include any speed work? If yes, where do you do this speed work? On a track? Treadmill? Your local neighborhood? Some where else?
I usually have one or two runs a week that have speed work. The kind of speed work depends on the length of the race I'm training for.

For very short (either in distance or time) all-out intervals, I will usually do those at the track. We have a local HS track that is within ~10 minute drive.

I often do hill repeats, since I do a lot of trail running. Those will usually be 1 min or 2 min in length. Generally I find a hill in the neighborhood to suit and run on the sidewalk for those.

I do some "tempo" running - this is tempo-level effort, not a specific pace, because I'm doing it either uphill or on trails. For "tempo ramps", I run at tempo effort up a fairly long hill, then easy efforts on the downhill. For "tempo trail intervals", I run for a specified interval of time at tempo effort regardless of what the trail terrain is.

And this reminds me, for those of us that do have access to great tracks, please think about reaching out to the people who run the track (athletic directors, school boards, school principals/presidents) and thanking them for making it possible.
I use our high school track a lot when it gets dark early in the winter. It's really frustrating how students (mostly) are there for athletic practices or just hanging out and they leave so much litter! They also do this on the adjacent tennis courts (which I also use). I am watching for my opportunity to mention this to a coach.

ATTQOTD:
I am currently on a little hiatus from running. Post my last marathon I developed a little hip soreness. But my next training plan calls for a combination of hill work, tempo work and good old fashion track intervals. The later I have not done in years! There is a track a half mile from my house, so I will use it for the speed work.

I know that I can get myself in trouble for focusing on individual runs in a week instead of having a broader focus on weeks of training let alone months of training, but I was hoping that someone can help me understand the potential impact of D+T on my running. I am focusing on base building in Zone 2 keeping myself below VT1 without concerning myself about pace or distance. Regardless, I still look over my run data because I'm curious if I'm seeing any improvement.

My runs this week were all 30 minutes long. I was reviewing the data last night following my run and noticed that my paces this week were 11'53", 11'37" and then 12'09"/MI. The respective dew points+temperatures were 137, 138 and then 142 last night. Is it generally considered to be a big jump going from 137/138 to 142? I'm trying to reconcile why my pace slowed down and I'm wondering if it can be attributed to the increased D+T. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter because my focus is keeping my heartrate below VT1 during this basebuilding period. But, I am still curious the effects of D+T.

I know that I can get myself in trouble for focusing on individual runs in a week instead of having a broader focus on weeks of training let alone months of training, but I was hoping that someone can help me understand the potential impact of D+T on my running. I am focusing on base building in Zone 2 keeping myself below VT1 without concerning myself about pace or distance. Regardless, I still look over my run data because I'm curious if I'm seeing any improvement.

My runs this week were all 30 minutes long. I was reviewing the data last night following my run and noticed that my paces this week were 11'53", 11'37" and then 12'09"/MI. The respective dew points+temperatures were 137, 138 and then 142 last night. Is it generally considered to be a big jump going from 137/138 to 142? I'm trying to reconcile why my pace slowed down and I'm wondering if it can be attributed to the increased D+T. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter because my focus is keeping my heartrate below VT1 during this basebuilding period. But, I am still curious the effects of D+T.

I use this post from DopeyBadger as a reference for T+D adjustments:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-running-thread-2022.3865074/post-64110240

It can also depend on what time of day you ran, how much sleep you got the night before, your overall feeling that day, etc. It's okay to listen to your body as well. Easy runs should stay easy.

I am not an expert, but to me that just looks like normal variation in pace, especially since the difference in T+D is pretty small. As @azrivest said, all kinds of factors can affect your pace. My easy runs are usually in the 10-11 min/mile window, which is already more range than you have here, but can be even faster or slower depending on how I'm feeling. Plus, three runs really isn't a large enough sample size to draw conclusions from anyway. I think just focusing on keeping the effort easy and not worrying about pace is the way to go.

ATTQOTD: If Billy tells me to do speedwork in the plan, then I do :). Since a lot of it is more tempo work, I typically do it on either the park trails (which are flat) if I'm in TX or on the greenway path if I'm in GA. I will sometimes do them on the treadmill, but they always feel soooo much harder to me when I do them on the treadmill. Will sometimes head to the track and I am lucky enough that there is a public track at the park where I access the greenway (although it's asphalt). I have also used the high school track by the house, but often the field is in use and I don't want to be in the way (and would feel a bit like a creepy old man running while high schoolers are out practicing on the field).

I will tell you that the result of calling it D+T instead of T+D results in huge cognitive dissonance. :)

I agree with what other have said, that your other activities, the time of day, your sleep, etc, will probably have a bigger effect that T+D for these three runs. That said, I do find that at a T+D of around 140, the difficulty starts getting exponentially harder for me. That's just where the effects really ramp up, in my opinion. Some of that is accounted for by the fact that the range of T+D at each percentage value gets smaller but I think perceived effort goes up really fast.

I have an unrelated hair/headband question:

I have some headbands I like for running, but now that it's super hot, I find that sweat just keeps dripping down my face into my eyes and it's not fun! I saw an ad for the gym wrap and thought about trying it, but wanted to ask if any of you have recommendations for sweatbands that you like that keep sweat out of your eyes and don't heat up your forehead too much.

I have some headbands I like for running, but now that it's super hot, I find that sweat just keeps dripping down my face into my eyes and it's not fun! I saw an ad for the gym wrap and thought about trying it, but wanted to ask if any of you have recommendations for sweatbands that you like that keep sweat out of your eyes and don't heat up your forehead too much.
I love https://www.junkbrands.com/. I first got one at expo for W&D last year. They’re very lightweight. I end up wringing mine out and putting it back on, it hold so much sweat!

I can't comment about headbands, but I really like this new running hat that I got from Trailheads. It's lightweight and has holes in the top. I sweat like a fiend and this works to stop the sweat getting into my eyes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WKX19PA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter