The Running Thread - 2018

I've never had alcohol. The only time I'm tempted is with colorful drinks that look like they would almost completely mask the presence of alcohol. The smell of Beer and Wine give me the same gag reflex I get from malt vinegar.

Ahahahahhaha! I’m not sure if you were trying to be funny, but this cracked me up because I’m the same way!:rotfl2:
At this point in my life I don’t drink any alcohol. I used to drink margaritas only if they were super sweet, but basically have come to the realization that I might as well just have a slushy of some sort instead. And I can’t even take a sip of beer or wine for the same reason you mentioned!

395F7D38-A82D-4A7B-9BBC-05EE6A4E71BE.jpeg

My hubby however will drink anything although he doesn’t like hoppy beers either.

ATTQOTD: I’ll wear fleece headbands to cover my ears when it’s low 50s and under. I’ll also wear my lightweight tifosi sunglasses if I’ll encounter too much sun on a run.

A couple years ago my goal was to learn to like running in a visor after two miserable mid-day legs during SoCal Ragnar 2016. I wore it once and it bugged me so badly that I didn’t ever wear it again. I’m tempted to check out some of the ones that have been recommended to see if those would be better!:blush:

I hate IPAs. They smell terrible to me like the smell of marijuana.

Terpenes are the only compound anyone remembered in organic chemistry as the prof pointed out they were the class of compounds in both pot and IPAs. I did not drink at the time so the connection with all the 420 and mary jane themed beer names was lost on me
That is actually a different style of beer entirely, called a Gose (Go-suh), the sour with the salt.
While I understand the point of the gose, I think many of those available in my neck of the woods have no hint of salt. We had a tailgate with 5 different goses (I haven't a clue as to the plural!) and 3 sours from matching breweries, and for most of the selections not one person could imagine there was a salty note. I am all for experimental brews (and I know many are bad) but I think as a category many of those labeled as Gose cannot be differentiated from a typical sour.

While I understand the point of the gose, I think many of those available in my neck of the woods have no hint of salt. We had a tailgate with 5 different goses (I haven't a clue as to the plural!) and 3 sours from matching breweries, and for most of the selections not one person could imagine there was a salty note. I am all for experimental brews (and I know many are bad) but I think as a category many of those labeled as Gose cannot be differentiated from a typical sour.
If they don't have salt, they aren't a true to style Gose. ;)

ATTQOTD: I wear a hat all the time. I burn pretty easily, including the top of my head. If it’s below 50, I’ll switch to a winter hat.

While we're in beer mode: Nectar Creek Sting on tap will change your life. (Not saying if that's good or bad.)

No maryjane, no sweaty people, no shrub, just honey and ginger. (Cue the honey and ginger haters!)

I will be back since IPA's are near and dear to me...but love Founder's All Day! So low in calories compared to most IPA's.

And you can drink it all day!!! :D:drinking1

Ditto on all counts, I'm also a big fan of the Founders session. If you can find it though, try that 21st Amendment Down to Earth I mentioned above. I love me some All Day, but if you give me a choice.... right now I'm going with the Down to Earth.

ATTQOTD: I will wear a handband in any weather/feels like under 40 (my ears get co
ld and give me a headache otherwise. No hats or visors in the summer.

Bonus question.....I am an IPA girl, the hoppier the better. Love the bitter (think it's my personality!). Michigan has great beer. This was a recent outing.......although admittedly hard to appreciate since I drank them all! My favorite was "Yesterday's News"--a NE style IPA.

IMG_20180224_181143.jpg

ATTBQOTD: I have strong opinions on this topic. Long before apps, I also had a spreadsheet on this topic. Many years ago All About Beer published a list of '125 Places to have a Beer Before You Die' and my now husband decided we should vacation to check off the very subjective and not all amazing places. We agreed we would never check of "Tailgating at an EC Game." I am not an IPA fan, I like how they smell but not how they taste. As others rage about the trash flavor of cilantro I see IPAs as the same breed of rot. I love Belgians, Hefes, and the spirit of a Feist beer more than many of the actual brews themselves. I think the current crop of gose that seems to be popping up are overrated and trend more towards sours than they should. I like sours, just make it a solid sour and skip the pretense that you have the salt flavor as most of them do not. The part of traveling incessantly for work that I miss is the ability to find beer that we cannot get here. I dream of finding Lost Abby's Judgement Day or Lost & Found, and am sad that I can only seem to find Russian River's more hoppy offerings without flying somewhere. If near DL, I did enjoy a side trip to The Brewery and have been happy that they now distribute near me. It was very low key and a good break from the conference center.

So how far off was on my IPA story?

PS - Racer 5 is an excellent choice, @LSUlakes. Was one of the first IPAs I really loved.

One of my first as well. We used to get it here, but someone pissed off someone else and now they are gone and we have had to wait 5 years until it may come back. It's been at least 4 i think... We just started getting Dogfish Head but the IPA's they are sending us are not fresh, so its a little disappointing.

But now I'm wondering if I've been missing out by not trying different/better socks. I'd never heard of Balegas, never tried compression socks, etc. So should I look to make the switch? Will they make that much of a difference? Or should I stick with what's been working for me?

If it isn't broke dont fix it. lol I was having major problems with my feet and the socks helped resolve that issue.

This isn't too far off, but it was England who was shipping the beer to India. A huge pet peeve of mine is when people call them "Indian Pale Ales" and also people that say "Belgium Style". My go-to beer style is dark and barrel aged. I also like sours and when a craft brewery can make a good lager so I can feel better about drinking a light beer. I hate IPAs. They smell terrible to me like the smell of marijuana. Bleh. They taste like you fell into a bouquet of dried flowers. It's just not for me. I can appreciate a good one, but no sir, I don't like it. I would rather drink wine, or margs, or these cocktails that come in a can by Cutwater Distillery. Especially in the summer.

Ok, so not to far off. I did mention we were consuming IPA's lol. Thanks for clearing it up.

Just go take a big chomp off a shrub or bush ... or suck on a bunch of pennies, and that's basically what an IPA tastes like.

WHOA.... pump the brakes now. IPA's are a gift from the gods, pure liquid gold I tell you!

I'll pass then...

It's all lies, dont listen to her!

Racer 5 is a great beer, and one of my favorites as well. My go-to right now are the NEIPAs from Spindletap and Brash, two small local breweries in Houston. My bike team is sponsored by Saint Arnold, the oldest craft brewery in Texas, so I drink plenty of their beer for free after all of our rides too.

I have enjoyed many of the Art Car IPA's since a little 5k at the brewery about two years ago in Julyish maybe... It was HOT!

ATTQOTD: my bama hat. because Roll Tide, that's why.

sigh... (from a LSU fan) Does Nick Saban need a shrimp boat captain? Our best chance is after we get our butts kicked the first few games, coach O gets a little to much harassment at his weekly radio show and assaults a fan so we can fire him w/o a buyout. Then the AD would need to go as well so he isn't given the opportunity to hire anyone else.

Oh man, why all the IPA haters? There are some good ones! This one is my favorite.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

View attachment 315331

That's one of my tailgate beers for the obvious reasons. If there was ever a thing of a light IPA, All Day IPA would be it.

All right everyone time to do some homework now. Tomorrow we cover either coffee, best root beer, energy drinks, margarita on the rocks or frozen, or something else lol. Some of these would have some really good potential, I may have to use them for a Friday question every so often...

Ahahahahhaha! I’m not sure if you were trying to be funny, but this cracked me up because I’m the same way!:rotfl2:

There is almost always some attempt at humor in my posts. This was my attempt to portray my thoughts on alcohol with a humorous slant. I’m happy to leave it for those who like it and I’m sure they’re happy to divvy up my share.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter