The Running Thread - 2018

Ditto on all counts, I'm also a big fan of the Founders session. If you can find it though, try that 21st Amendment Down to Earth I mentioned above. I love me some All Day, but if you give me a choice.... right now I'm going with the Down to Earth.

Founders' best beer is their CBS. By chance, I was in Ann Arbor last fall on release day and was able to score two pints. The limit was one per customer, but I swapped a beer of his choice with the guy seated next to me drinking Labatt's.

I just want you guys to know ... this conversation makes me happy because beer, but also depressed because I have no beer in the house and it's been one of those days that can only be redeemed by enjoying a good beer (and I didn't have the patience to go buy beer).
So ... someone please have a good beer tonight and think of me.

I had a few tonight at our bike team meeting and after. They are all quite good.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/78927/
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/17492/
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43368/272707/

OK. Here's the roundup so far.

Alba Botanica Sport SPF 45
4 oz: $8.89
Recommended for 80 min of exercise. Also available with fragrance free and SPF 50.

Sun Bum SPF 70
8 oz: $15.99
SPF 30, 50, Acts as moisturizer. Recommended for 80 min of exercise. Also have a "signature" line featuring zinc based formula.

Coppertone Sport 30
7 oz: $6.99
Also with SPF 50. Comes in lotion and spray. Recommended for 80 min of exercise.

Z Blok SPF 45
4 oz: $14.95
Zinc Oxide base. Fragrance free. Recommended for 2 hours of exercise.

Endurance Shield SPF 45
4 oz: $23.99
Won't clog pores, acts as moisturizer, endurance tested but no time usage recommendation.

Neutrogena ultra sheer Dry-touch SPF 55
3 oz: $10.99
Won't clog pores. Recommended for 80 min of exercise​

A few takeaways:

Pretty much all of them say 80 minutes is the limit for performance in the presence of water (or sweat). Endurance Shield suggests it can do more -- and some of the testimonials do as well -- but I'm guessing you're pretty much on your own after an hour and a half. The ones marketed as high-performance tend to have a price tag to match.

Z Blok and Sun Bum both offer zinc oxide-based versions which seem to have a selling point of not causing your eyes to tear up. The rest seem to be petroleum-based formulas.

Most major brands seem to offer a range of SPF but Sun Bum's 70 was the top number I could find in this quick survey.

A lot of these also come in lotion and spray versions. There doesn't seem to be any information if one or the other affects durability.

Fragrance free isn't always listed but neither do most of these tout a specific scent.​

For me, personally, I'm thinking one of the lower priced ones will probably do for my regular runs but I'll need more input/research for deciding what will be best for longer runs.

One tidbit I came across pulling this together which I had forgotten, sunblock is only good for a couple of years at most. Many brands have an expiration date on their bottles. So you might want to check for that as we start to slide into the summer months.

Last edited:
Ottawa avoyageur Challenge: I am doing this in May! Did you get a "Challenge" medal as well as the 3 associated with each distance?
I am doing this in May as well. My understanding is that we are getting the three medals and T-Shirt (orange for 5k, green for the 10k and blue for the half) plus a medal (canoe paddle style if we get same as last year) and long sleeve shirt for the challenge. Here are some pictures I found.
21B50C53-57CE-4C68-BA3A-E8549A057DA9.jpeg 1B31F622-DB4A-4912-84CA-203AF8FFE1ED.jpeg 1103CDD6-68A0-44A7-B65A-3C52554477C9.jpeg

Edit: This article presents various canadian running challenges... Interesting how they start by referring to Dopey.
https://runningmagazine.ca/multi-race-challenges-canada/

Last edited:
Here are my current faves, but I love trying new beer. I love IPA's.

Rhinegeist Truth (Cincinnati)

Madtree Psychopathy (Cincinnati)

Elysian Space Dust (Seattle) - DH is obsessed and is permanently stocked in the fridge right now. Added tidbit: Wilderness Lodge club level had it on draft when we stayed there last May!

Jackie O’s Mystic Mama (Athens, OH)

Bell’s Two Hearted (Michigan)

Lagunitas IPA (California) - There are SO MANY awesome California and West Coast beers. I loved trying them on my California trip last summer.

Cigar City Jai Alai IPA (Tampa) - This is permanently on my Garden Grocer delivery list.

@LSUlakes , this was my packed lunch when we were in Yosemite last summer:

19989275_10210863248151815_633208939758736984_n.jpg

And on the hat question...I typically avoid them. I will wear an ear band if temps are below 30 degrees. On rare occasions, I will wear a hat to block the sun and absorb sweat, but generally don't like them. I may need to experiment in the next couple of days because I will most like be spending a LONG time in the rain on Monday. I just got a really nice one (can't remember the brand) from my running team sponsor.

Founders' best beer is their CBS. By chance, I was in Ann Arbor last fall on release day and was able to score two pints. The limit was one per customer, but I swapped a beer of his choice with the guy seated next to me drinking Labatt's.

The ABC Liquor on Apopka-Vineland road right outside of Disney Springs had four bombers of CBS just sitting on the shelf when I went in there last night ... for a cool $30 each. Just sayin' ...

Z Blok and Sun Bum both offer zinc oxide-based versions which seem to have a selling point of not causing your eyes to tear up. The rest seem to be petroleum-based formulas.

I use the spray on my shoulders/arms/legs and the zinc on my face. No complaints on either product! Plus, I like that it's readily available at Target. I like the spray because it's more powdery than greasy, and when I mix it with bug spray in the spring/summer (I run along the Trinity and UGH mosquitos), I don't feel totally gross after the delicious combo of sweat-'screen-'spray.

All this beer talk that I have no input for.

I may or may not have tested a new fruity beverage tonight. That said I probably shouldn't admit that since its a drink aimed at females.

Was it rose cider?

I am doing this in May as well. My understanding is that we are getting the three medals and T-Shirt (orange for 5k, green for the 10k and blue for the half) plus a medal (canoe paddle style if we get same as last year) and long sleeve shirt for the challenge. Here are some pictures I found.
View attachment 315427 View attachment 315428 View attachment 315429

Edit: This article presents various canadian running challenges... Interesting how they start by referring to Dopey.
https://runningmagazine.ca/multi-race-challenges-canada/
I may have to sign up for the Voyageur Challenge next year!

OK, kids. I've got a question for the group. I did my first run in a singlet today and contracted a nice case of sunburn. Not overly bad since it wasn't a long run but I need to get it addressed.

What are the suggestions for a decent sunscreen? My criteria: can't smell like a godawful coconut fruit cocktail, needs to stay on despite a decent amount of sweat, can last a few hours if needed. I'm on the pale side so a decent degree of protection will be needed.

I will only use sunscreen that has one active ingredient: Zinc Oxide. I avoid anything that has oxybenzone, vitamin A, avobenzone, homosalate, or octisalate. The only two sunscreens I will use are Thinksport and Babo Botanicals Sheer Zinc. The latter only for places I can't reach when someone isn't around willing to get my back.

Check this site for their grading of most sunscreens out there.

While I understand the point of the gose, I think many of those available in my neck of the woods have no hint of salt. We had a tailgate with 5 different goses (I haven't a clue as to the plural!) and 3 sours from matching breweries, and for most of the selections not one person could imagine there was a salty note. I am all for experimental brews (and I know many are bad) but I think as a category many of those labeled as Gose cannot be differentiated from a typical sour.

I am so surprised that people are brewing Gose in the US! Here in Germany it is a very obscure regional beer, mainly only still known in Leipzig where there are a few pubs specializing in it. It is mainly considered a summer drink there to have in a beergarden.

Plural would be Gosen in German...

I live in an area where the craft beer never died out: Frankonia is Germany’s area with the highest density of breweries. Like every village has one. But the variety of beers is far less, you would typically just have Lager, Amber and Weißbier.

Attqotd:
I only run with a fleece hat in the winter, but do like the idea of a hat with visor in the rain in sun! This question really got me thinking about getting one!

All this beer talk that I have no input for.

I may or may not have tested a new fruity beverage tonight. That said I probably shouldn't admit that since its a drink aimed at females.

Never feel embarrassed about what you want to drink. Drink what you want to.

If I felt like that, I would have never started drinking whiskey/scotch in college back in the day. (Although its more normal for females to drink it now - 13 years ago, it wasn't)

There was a good new cherry sour in our fridge the other day. It was yum!

QOTD: Lets discuss another part of the running gear... hats/visors. With spring/summer eventually on it way (It was in the 40's this weekend here and I have heard the north is still getting snow). Do you wear a hat, visor, or some other form of head gear on your runs?

Bonus Question: Since wine was discussed yesterday, today we should turn our attention to craft beer. lol

ATTQOTD: I've never worn a hat for running, so I dont have much to add here, but I see plenty of people do.

Bonus Question: My go to beer is Racer 5 IPA by Bear Republic. We dont have it here, but when I come across some I buy in bulk. IPA's are the opposite of wine, best consumed closer to it's born on date. Served cool, but not ice cold as the coldness numbs the tongue from all of the flavor. If my memory is correct, IPA's kinda happened by accident. I think the story goes something like this.. Europeans were traveling to India and wanted to bring beer with them. The beer would go bad on the trip so they used hops are a preservative, which helped the beer out but left a little bit of a different taste, but a lot less hoppy then current IPA's. Somewhere along the way, people decided they liked the high hop flavor. So the name IPA's for India Pale Ale is what we ended up with. This little story is likely flawed as I am sure someone told it to me while we were consuming some high ABV IPA's. Another beer fact, beer that is sold in a clear bottle is not worthy of being called a beer. There I said it! lol

I only wear a hat in the winter to help keep the heat in. Other than that you will never see me in a hat. I have never liked hats. I didn't even like helmets when I had a motorcycle. I had to wear them because it was the law but I probably wouldn't have if I didn't have to.

As for the bonus, you are more likely to see me in a hat than see me drinking a beer. I'm not a drinker. Those of you who did DOTW after the marathon saw me drink as much as I would ever drink.

I just want you guys to know ... this conversation makes me happy because beer, but also depressed because I have no beer in the house and it's been one of those days that can only be redeemed by enjoying a good beer (and I didn't have the patience to go buy beer).
So ... someone please have a good beer tonight and think of me.

To avoid this in the future may I suggest?
849fc1003b6b97427fc7b6bb4f51397a.jpg

Hey @LSUlakes, if we're doing coffee today, can we do scotch & bourbon next? :)

Current selections at home:

3jNjO1q.jpg

Eagle Rare
Sazerac
Two Star Bourbon
Laphropaig 18 Year
Shieldleig 18 year
4 Types of Glenmorangie
St Augustine Port Bourbon

(Jim Beam Fire, Crown Royal, and Crown Apple as well)

I really like the Two Star! I need to open the St Augustine this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter