• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

@BikeFan Congrats! Amazing run with the elements!

My Senior year State cross country meet (20 years ago) was freezing rain (turned to snow eventually), windy, freezing temps, slippery wet grass, downright awful, luckily it was only 2.5 miles not a marathon, but I was so cold my body shut down and my finish was a slugfest. I'm a smarter runner now, I learned a lot that day :)

Nope to bacon & sausage, Vegetarian here :)

Good morning (or whenever you're reading this), runners!

As most of us know, today the state of Massachusetts is celebrating Patriots' Day. While Massachusettsians remember this day as the start of the American Revolution, for runners, Patriots' Day means something else entirely - it means the running of the Boston Marathon.
The Boston Marathon is one of the six races that make up the World Marathon Majors. The other five are the Tokyo Marathon, London Marathon, Berlin Marathon, Chicago Marathon, and New York City Marathon.

QOTD: If you were to get free entry into a World Marathon Major race of your choice (including airfare and hotel), which one would you choose? Is this a race you've run before or one you'd be running for the first time?

Bonus QOTD (continuing with our beverage theme): Coffee. Let's talk coffee. Do you drink it? How much? How often? What's your favorite coffee?

Also ... I nominate @rteetz for tomorrow's QOTD.

I'm already running late (stupid mornings), so I'll be back later to answer the question.

Boston. I realize being from MA I am leaving money on the table for not taking the flight but I have wanted to run it in the worst way. Chicago would be second choice. I have always wanted to see that city.

I am getting so frustrated with the WBZ stream, it keeps cutting out. :(
Yep, I couldn't get it to work either. I didn't get to watch any from work yesterday.

Guess this isn’t the time to confess that I’m seriously considering Boston via charity in the future. :(

A lot of wonderful charities are able to raise funds they never would otherwise - and the personal stories that fuel the charities runners are some of the most inspiring parts of the day.

Sort of related - but I thought this story was interesting too. Guess so many elites dropped out, it made way for others to push into higher places.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...on-marathon/fmD8cAR8ciInSiqG0i94iP/story.html

And I am pretty sure Sellers started with the elites - I saw her pass at the half, and she wasn’t with the front pack, but was a decent ways behind.
I have wanted to run it for Boston Children's Hospital for years but I am quite the introvert and raising $6000 would be harder than qualifying for the race for me.

Good morning!

Today's QOTD: After watching Boston yesterday and seeing several elite runners struggle or drop out, what are the worst conditions you have ever ran a race in?

Bonus QOTD: Bacon, sausage, or neither?

I have never thankfully ran in rain for a race. The 2017 WDW Half would've been the closest I came to such but that race was cancelled. The worst conditions I have had is cold and wind. It wasn't too different than running in the winter at home though.

Bacon is best.

I nominate @jennamfeo for tomorrow's QOTD.

The 2015 BAA 10K was similar conditions but it was warmer and only a 10k.

Today's QOTD: After watching Boston yesterday and seeing several elite runners struggle or drop out, what are the worst conditions you have ever ran a race in?

Probably the rain at WDW 10K 2016. Runner up is the NYC Half, which was just cold and wind.
I've actually been relatively lucky with race conditions - I've never had anything close to yesterday.

Neither.
I have had some decent turkey and beef sausages, but I can live without them.

QOTD: i’ve dome a few races in the rain and snow. But nothing like yesterday.

Bonus QOTD: I like both, but bacon wins out. PP mentioned other types of bacon and I just have to say, duck bacon is excellent! Also need to give a shout-out to the deliciousness that is scrapple.

Star Wars Light Side 2017 - Woke up throwing up
Marathon Day Race 5K 2016 - 90+ Degree Heat for a race that started at 8AM. My husband ran his worst 10K that time and got ill.

Bacon. Gantu got his first bacon on Sunday. I might have been trying to teach him how to behave when we cook.

Can we discuss the women's second place winner? There are a lot of things I am not understanding about this. She isn't an elite. She signed up and paid the entry fee. This was her second marathon. No one knew who she was. So how did she get a bib with her last name on it? How did she come in second?! Did she start with the elites? (I'm not gonna lie, I thought of @KSellers88 when I saw her name cross the finish line!)

I *think* that you can request an Elite bib and/or they offer Elite bibs to runners who qualify with a certain time. There is a girl I follow on Instagram that did not run this year, but got an Olympic qualifying time at CIM and she posted a picture where they had sent her an offer to be an Elite. I asked my husband if we were related to her (and of course his response was "WHO?" :confused3)! Maybe some of her speed could rub off on me or she could become my virtual training partner or something! LOL. Absolutely amazing!

Brief race report from Boston. Today's race was absolutely the worst conditions I've ever experienced, and I've raced in the snow several times. It was just cold, wet, and windy the whole time. Just miserable. We saw so many people who were in awful shape. The medical volunteers were working overtime today. My brother and I decided to run together and were doing okay until just past halfway when he hit the wall. Still, we got in just under 4 (3:58). Walking to tbe car, we were both near hypothermic, shaking and shivering uncontrollably. So glad to be done and warm. Amazing job by the BAA volunteers and the crowd, out there in these conditions taking care of us runners. Thanks to all of the people of the Boston area for another epic Boston.

Congratulations!! I am amazed at anyone who finished in those conditions!

For comparison - same spot yesterday and last year....

2vbx93b.jpg

Good morning!

ATTQOTD: Fortunately, the only rain I've had to run in was the WDWMW 10k in 2016 and that was warm and the rain wasn't all that intrusive by race time. I'd have to rate the 2017 WDWMW marathon as the worst conditions I've run under. The combination of temperatures in the 30s at race start and significant winds made it pretty uncomfortable.

BQOTD: Soft bacon >> spicy sausage > sausage > crispy bacon

QOTD: I haven’t had any races in really terrible conditions. Worst was probably my NYD 5k this year, when temps were -13 degrees.

Bonus QOTD: sausage (but I do like both!)

ATTQOTD: Wine and Dine 2014. It was my first half too. I'm thankful that it was warm-ish and that the rain really didn't start until maybe 20 minutes before the race? So I wasn't soaked to begin the race...but I got drenched during. Spectating was Shamrock 2016 (I dropped out of the half because I didn't train and knew I couldn't wing it with the conditions). DH ran the full, and it was similar to yesterday but maybe 5 degrees warmer. Plus a sand storm at the end.

Bonus: Bacon! I do paleo bacon, so no sugar or other crap.

Good morning!

2013 Disney 1/2 Marathon where the humidity and dew point got the best of me and resulted in a FastPass to the medical tent. I finished but it wasn't pretty.

Bonus: Sausage

Hotlanta Half 2015 was the worst weather I’ve ever run in. About halfway through the race the sky opened up. Torrential rain and thunder. Streets were like rivers, and I was running through water that was inches deep. It was a mess, and I’m pretty sure that is my worst half marathon time ever.

As for a world major, if I could ever find a way to do Boston I’d do it in a heartbeat.

ATTQOTD: The Little Rock Marathon this past March. It poured rain on us at mile 3-4 so I was completely soaked for the rest of the race. Then it poured again at mile 20 and anything that had dried out a little got soaked again. The worst was my shoes and socks being soaked. It wasn't freezing but it was chilly (30-40) and I was shaking horribly at the finish. I had never wanted to change out of my clothes so badly or so quickly after a race! It also hailed with a bit of thunder so I ran faster, worried that they would pull us before I could finish (and I PR'ed!) I will never race in anything but Injinji socks again as I did not get a single blister! :)

Bonus: Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon. Oh, did I mention that I love bacon? :)

Congrats to @BikeFan and all the other Boston finisher (hoping @Wendy98 had a good experience despite the weather, too). I watched a bit last night and a bit more on my treadmill run this morning. Can we just talk about the pushrim and hand cycle finishers with that rain and lack of traction? impressive. Obviously happy to see Des get the win, too, and am loving the stories about Sarah Sellers.

ATTYQOTD: I'm not a marathoner, so I'll never run a major. But I like the idea of running in London, so I guess I'll go with that?

ATTQOTD: I ran a short 5k in freezing but dry weather at the end of last year. It wasn't a big deal, but I have asthma. While normally running won't trigger it, racing in those cold, dry conditions triggered a bit of an attack that really left me uncomfortable for a couple of days.

Today's bonus QOTD: Sausage. I only like bacon if it's crispy.

QOTD: 2014 Splash’n’ Dash, I mean Wine and Dine, was rough because of the rain. 2018 WDW 5k and 10K were rough because it was 31-32 degrees. But I’ve never had freezing and wet together.

Bonus: Bacon! And add bacon AND cheese to a dish and I’m in heaven. (Burger, potato, broccoli, salad, etc.)

Edit to add: Peachtree Road Race 10K 2016 I think? Thunderstorm!

ATTQOTD: Heat is my kryptonite, so probably my first marathon at Disney in 2013. It was miserably hot and I nearly passed out from the heat at mile 22. Luckily I got some ice from the med tent and it cooled me enough to let me finish it out at a walk.

Bonus: BACON!!!! Bacon makes everything better.

ATTQOTD: I've been pretty lucky with weather conditions, with the exception of heat. Rock n' Roll Savannah Marathon last November was probably my most miserable race. It was so hot and humid. I've ran in nothing that even compared to yesterday's conditions.

Bonus: BACON!

I’m actually planning a 2020 trip to Tokyo for the Olympics, so maybe I just have Tokyo on the brain. :rotfl2:

Me too! Or my sister the expert on all things Japanese is. Maybe we'll cross paths. :)

Brief race report from Boston. Today's race was absolutely the worst conditions I've ever experienced, and I've raced in the snow several times. It was just cold, wet, and windy the whole time. Just miserable. We saw so many people who were in awful shape. The medical volunteers were working overtime today. My brother and I decided to run together and were doing okay until just past halfway when he hit the wall. Still, we got in just under 4 (3:58). Walking to tbe car, we were both near hypothermic, shaking and shivering uncontrollably. So glad to be done and warm. Amazing job by the BAA volunteers and the crowd, out there in these conditions taking care of us runners. Thanks to all of the people of the Boston area for another epic Boston.

Congratulations @BikeFan on having the physical and mental strength to complete the race yesterday!

ATTQOTD: I can't think of a race day where I have had to suffer anything but borderline cold temps/wind. (It is usually waiting around in the corrals that is worse.) But I can think of at least two different 16 mile training runs (that were supposed to be longer) that were in weather like Boston yesterday. I didn't have access to a gym or treadmill at the time, so it was the only way to get them done.

ATTBQOTD: link sausage > bacon > sausage patties

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter