The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I’m gonna pick Tokyo. #1 because of the unique destination of the marathon itself, #2 is the cost of going there

Bonus: Like @NurseRunner said, coffee is a prerequisite for the healthcare field. I drink my morning cup from my Nespresso maker (the best quick cup of coffee IMO), and then we have cheap (not that great) stuff from the Keurig machine when I need a boost. During the weekends, I’ll get a Starbucks or Peet’s coffee if there’s some time. I think my favorite cup of coffee has to be Philz Coffee, a small chain in the Bay Area.

I really feel for the people who have to be in the normal people corrals at Boston on a day like this. I know they have to be on the buses to the start line hours before their corral and there can't be enough tent space for everyone to wait under.

My BIL said it was pretty awful waiting to start. He said they had tents and it was like a mud field. Everyone was shivering. And they had to be in their corrals 40 mins before the start and you are freezing. He said he never got warm. He said the hills were the worst as your cold and legs cramping. They also wouldn’t let anyone bring war clothes to the med tent so he was freezing trying to get warm under a heat lamp. I give everyone who ran today credit

Berlin. I would never, under any circumstances, run Boston without qualifying. I personally think no one should be able to buy a way in. Even the charity runners should have to meet the qualification standard in my opinion.

I completely agree with you! Just because you can write a check or give money to a charity, but run a 5:30 Marathon shouldn’t get you a spot to run Boston. It’s called the World Majors Challenge for a reason, not the World Majors Money Party.

I completely agree with you! Just because you can write a check or give money to a charity, but run a 5:30 Marathon shouldn’t get you a spot to run Boston. It’s called the World Majors Challenge for a reason, not the World Majors Money Party.
Interesting point. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to qualify for Boston but I’d definitely do a charity thing some day. I think fundraising for the charities sometimes is part of the challenge. I know someone who ran today for a charity. Do you think every major should be that way? New York does a lottery of course too.

Can we discuss the women's second place winner? There are a lot of things I am not understanding about this. She isn't an elite. She signed up and paid the entry fee. This was her second marathon. No one knew who she was. So how did she get a bib with her last name on it? How did she come in second?! Did she start with the elites? (I'm not gonna lie, I thought of @KSellers88 when I saw her name cross the finish line!)

Guess this isn’t the time to confess that I’m seriously considering Boston via charity in the future. :(

A lot of wonderful charities are able to raise funds they never would otherwise - and the personal stories that fuel the charities runners are some of the most inspiring parts of the day.
Can we discuss the women's second place winner? There are a lot of things I am not understanding about this. She isn't an elite. She signed up and paid the entry fee. This was her second marathon. No one knew who she was. So how did she get a bib with her last name on it? How did she come in second?! Did she start with the elites? (I'm not gonna lie, I thought of [U
SER=565000]@KSellers88[/USER] when I saw her name cross the finish line!)

Sort of related - but I thought this story was interesting too. Guess so many elites dropped out, it made way for others to push into higher places.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...on-marathon/fmD8cAR8ciInSiqG0i94iP/story.html

And I am pretty sure Sellers started with the elites - I saw her pass at the half, and she wasn’t with the front pack, but was a decent ways behind.

Brief race report from Boston. Today's race was absolutely the worst conditions I've ever experienced, and I've raced in the snow several times. It was just cold, wet, and windy the whole time. Just miserable. We saw so many people who were in awful shape. The medical volunteers were working overtime today. My brother and I decided to run together and were doing okay until just past halfway when he hit the wall. Still, we got in just under 4 (3:58). Walking to the car, we were both near hypothermic, shaking and shivering uncontrollably. So glad to be done and warm. Amazing job by the BAA volunteers and the crowd, out there in these conditions taking care of us runners. Thanks to all of the people of the Boston area for another epic Boston.

Last edited:

Brief race report from Boston. Today's race was absolutely the worst conditions I've ever experienced, and I've raced in the snow several times. It was just cold, wet, and windy the whole time. Just miserable. We saw so many people who were in awful shape. The medical volunteers were working overtime today. My brother and I decided to run together and were doing okay until just past halfway when he hit the wall. Still, we got in just under 4 (3:58). Walking to tbe car, we were both near hypothermic, shaking and shivering uncontrollably. So glad to be done and warm. Amazing job by the BAA volunteers and the crowd, out there in these conditions taking care of us runners. Thanks to all of the people of the Boston area for another epic Boston.
Congrats!

Can we discuss the women's second place winner? There are a lot of things I am not understanding about this. She isn't an elite. She signed up and paid the entry fee. This was her second marathon. No one knew who she was. So how did she get a bib with her last name on it? How did she come in second?! Did she start with the elites? (I'm not gonna lie, I thought of @KSellers88 when I saw her name cross the finish line!)
Just saw this

https://www.boston.com/sports/bosto...sellers-second-place-finisher-boston-marathon

Brief race report from Boston. Today's race was absolutely the worst conditions I've ever experienced, and I've raced in the snow several times. It was just cold, wet, and windy the whole time. Just miserable. We saw so many people who were in awful shape. The medical volunteers were working overtime today. My brother and I decided to run together and were doing okay until just past halfway when he hit the wall. Still, we got in just under 4 (3:58). Walking to tbe car, we were both near hypothermic, shaking and shivering uncontrollably. So glad to be done and warm. Amazing job by the BAA volunteers and the crowd, out there in these conditions taking care of us runners. Thanks to all of the people of the Boston area for another epic Boston.

Congratulations!

I'm guessing her time was good enough that she could request to start with the elite women... I wonder what made her decide to do that when she would have been normally running alone in the back of the women's elite start rather than do the mass start like the 5th place runner and have people to run with/draft off/etc. The 5th place runner isn't eligible for prize money because she started in the mass start.

ATTQOTD: Traveling to Japan and visiting it (including Disney) is moving up my bucket list so I would gladly run a Marathon in Tokyo to have a three weeks vacation there. If I had to limit myself to a long weekend, direct flight and all expenses paid, I would go to London... or, right now, anywhere less glamorous but warm with a beach!

Bonus: I started by not liking coffe then started to drink sweet something latte in my twenties. In my thirties, I became a coffee snob and have a super cappuccino machine at home coupled with a coffee aficionado DH. I desensitized myself, won a Keurig machine and now have a cup of Green Mountain flavored coffee every morning. Plus a social Stabucks latte with my team on Friday morning.

Quantity wise, when I was pregnant, I learnt that I need a minimum of one coffee a day. I feel really moody and headachy otherwise. And my colleagues actually stop me after two cups... More than that and nobody can understand what I am saying: I start speaking too fast.

QOTD: If you were to get free entry into a World Marathon Major race of your choice (including airfare and hotel), which one would you choose? Is this a race you've run before or one you'd be running for the first time?

Bonus QOTD (continuing with our beverage theme): Coffee. Let's talk coffee. Do you drink it? How much? How often? What's your favorite coffee?
I would definitely choose the London Marathon because it is my favorite city in the world! Running a marathon through the streets of London would be almost as magical to me as running a marathon through WDW!

My favorite coffee is Starbucks of course! I buy bottled Frappuccinos by the case because they are the quickest and easiest "fancy" coffee to get me going in the morning. (I haven't drank drip coffee since I was a teenager...) My drink of choice is a Grande Caramel Macchiato with non-fat milk. (I'm not afraid of sugar, but I can't stand the taste of milk. So, it's non-fat milk for me.) My favorite summertime treat is a S'mores Frappucino, DELICIOUS!

My favorite coffee is Starbucks of course! I buy bottled Frappuccinos by the case because they are the quickest and easiest "fancy" coffee to get me going in the morning. (I haven't drank drip coffee since I was a teenager...) My drink of choice is a Grande Caramel Macchiato with non-fat milk. (I'm not afraid of sugar, but I can't stand the taste of milk. So, it's non-fat milk for me.) My favorite summertime treat is a S'mores Frappucino, DELICIOUS!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! I thought I was the only one who buys the bottled Frappuccinos! I usually have about a third to half a bottle on really rough mornings to tide me over until I finish making the coffee. Or, if I'm not in the mood to make or buy coffee, it's Frappuccino all the way.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! I thought I was the only one who buys the bottled Frappuccinos! I usually have about a third to half a bottle on really rough mornings to tide me over until I finish making the coffee. Or, if I'm not in the mood to make or buy coffee, it's Frappuccino all the way.
A bottled frappucino a day keeps the headaches away!

Good morning!

Today's QOTD: After watching Boston yesterday and seeing several elite runners struggle or drop out, what are the worst conditions you have ever ran a race in?

Bonus QOTD: Bacon, sausage, or neither?

I have never thankfully ran in rain for a race. The 2017 WDW Half would've been the closest I came to such but that race was cancelled. The worst conditions I have had is cold and wind. It wasn't too different than running in the winter at home though.

Bacon is best.

I nominate @jennamfeo for tomorrow's QOTD.

Today's QOTD: After watching Boston yesterday and seeing several elite runners struggle or drop out, what are the worst conditions you have ever ran a race in?

I ran a Santa themed half marathon in 2015 that had similar weather to yesterday. Cold (low 40’s), wet (it rained the entire time and my clothes were soaked through), and windy (the course ran along the waterfront and there was nothing to block the wind). I was miserable! It ended up being a PR for me at the time, the first time I broke 2:30. There was a half mile walk back to my car and I remember almost being in tears. I had a 25 min drive home and, although I cranked the heat up into the 80’s, I shook violently the entire drive. I don’t know how I made it! Shear determination I guess.

Neither. Vegetarian.

Disney on Ice 2010. With all the sleet and freezing rain, I've never been so cold & miserable at the end of a race in my life. The pouring rain in Houston in 2011 wasn't great either, but at least it was warm.

Bacon! Has to be real bacon too, none of the turkey or beef bacon they use in the Middle East.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter