The Running Thread - 2018

I keep thinking "I should get a button and put 'My first marathon' on it when I go in 2020!" and then remembering that the marathon medal is basically an I'm Celebrating button itself.

On my last trip, when I was checking-in, I mentioned that I was there to run (can I please have a room with a coffee maker because I’ll need caffein at 2:30AM) and the CM did a “I am celebrating runDisney” button while we waited for her system to find a room.

I have had a celebratory Anniversary trip (during the same year as our 10th Wedding Anniversary) for which we put it both on the resort and on one signature restaurant dinner reservations. We got really touching pixie dust.

My oldest DD turned 4, 6, 8 and 11 at Disney and wore her Birthday button on those days. Her younger sister Birthday never falls during our trips so we got in the habit of designating one of the other days her advanced Birthday (typically when she turns X.75 i.e. exactly 3 months before).

Happy Anniversary!

Ladies, if you are a Brooks Ghost 10 fan, heads up the 11's are out and the 10's are being discounted or no longer carried in many places.

For those of you that love shoes, how many new pair will you have waiting to go into rotation? I have 2 in my closet and thinking about getting a few more......
I was able to get a pair of Ghost 10s from Zappos this week comboing a markdown and Zappos code to replace my ancient 9s. Happy feet on my Run this morning!

ACTUAL RUNNING QUESTION!

I recently switched from running in Brooks to running Nike Flyknit shoes (one pair of Free RN, one pair of Flex RN) ... but these shoelaces are legit the worst I've ever dealt with. They will not stay tied, and general laces (because I got desperate today) really throw off the feel of the shoe.

Any ideas on what to do?
Are they slippery, slightly stretchy almost like bungee laces? My trainer at OTF wears Nike Frees when she coaches, and I thought I noticed the other day when she was tying her shoe that her laces looked kinda like mine. My OTF shoes are Altra Solstice which are a very similar shoe, and they have these terrible laces too that are slippery and stretchy... I double knot them. That seems to work. I always end up double knotting all my running shoes because they never fail to come untied shortly into the run if I don't.

For those of you that love shoes, how many new pair will you have waiting to go into rotation? I have 2 in my closet and thinking about getting a few more......
I'm not sure if you mean for these Brooks in particular or just in general, but I don't wear Brooks so I will just answer in general. :D When I first started running in Altras, I scored a really good deal on the model I was using at LeftLane Sports and ended up with 4 pairs. It took me like 2 years to work through those. :)

Right now I am only keeping one pair of shoes at a time. When the last of those original 4 pairs were exhausted (they were the original Olympus model) last fall, I switched to the Paradigm 3.0, and I only bought one pair because I wasn't sure if I'd like them. I was pretty glad I only bought one pair because they were SO NARROW. Like one of the defining features of Altra shoes is that they are wide in the forefoot (clown shoes) and these shoes just were not even close. I am hoping the Paradigm 4.0 gets back to its roots because the narrowness of that model was a big complaint. I decided to start another pair of shoes for my spring HM back in March and I ended up getting the men's 3.0 model because the 4.0 isn't supposed to be out until this fall. I normally hate running in men's shoes because they always come in (IMO) not-cute colors, but this model had an all black version with some white accents, so I decided it was ok. :D

Now I'm trying to decide what to do about that pair... Strava tells me I have 164 miles on that pair and I'm about to start training for summer 10K's and a late September HM, so I don't think they're going to make it to when the 4.0's come out. I might just have to suck it up and get another pair of the men's, assuming I can find some in my size.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do about that pair... Strava tells me I have 164 miles on that pair and I'm about to start training for summer 10K's and a late September HM, so I don't think they're going to make it to when the 4.0's come out. I might just have to suck it up and get another pair of the men's, assuming I can find some in my size.
Oh, sweet! I went to look and see if there were any newer reviews since I last looked back in February/March, and now I see they are expected to be available late-June/early-July!

June Running Totals

181km, 112mi
5:05/km, 8:11/mi
2,136m climbed

Solid running month, though not enjoying winter with lots of rain and not a lot of daylight... Heading to Bali next Friday (Mt Agung permitting...) so looking forward to some toasty vacation runs along the beach!

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD!! Since I mentioned it a few post ago I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on getting one of the celebrating type buttons while at the parks. Do you think to get one the event your celebrating has to fall on the exact date, withing the week, or a longer period of time?

ATTQOTD: Our 9 year anniversary was June 13 and DW had a birthday on June 24. We check in July 12. For some reason I feel the birthday should be at least during the week of travel, but a little more relaxed on the anniversary deal. It is our intention to do some of the same things we did (rides and meals) on our honeymoon during this trip, just a month later as its the only dates that lined up when we could take a trip. I'm on the fence on the decision, so I am looking to yall for what is acceptable or not.
I am not one for attracting attention to myself so I don’t like buttons but my girlfriend made me get one last year when we went for a last minute trip to WDW on my birthday weekend. Needless to say, I didn’t wear it any day other than my birthday and that was torture.

I visited DL for the first time last year--I kept getting told by a lot of people how much smaller it is, how much less immersive, how much less everything. And, granted, it's a smaller property with just the two parks, but we kept ourselves very happily occupied for three full days and two partial ones. I didn't feel any less "immersed" than I do at the WDW parks, and would probably be just as happy to do DL again as WDW.

So I think you'll enjoy it, is what I'm saying.

1. Your DW's birthday is the same as mine!
2. I've never worn a button in the parks. I was originally planning to get a "first visit" button for Disneyland, but when we got there I didn't really feel like drawing the extra attention and just never got around to it. Personally, I probably wouldn't wear a birthday button outside of my birthday (maybe one day on my birthday week if that was the best timing I could manage), but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. No one's going to check, plus if your intent for the trip is to celebrate the birthday and anniversary, that means it's a birthday/anniversary trip and you should feel free to wear the buttons.

My friend has gone a couple of times and he has always loved WDW. He says he thinks DL is his new favorite park because you can feel the history and magic more. I love Disney because of the history and Walt so he tells me I am going to love it! I hope so because I could be at MNSSHP instead that weekend. :rolleyes:

The band outside of Dawa Bar sang Happy Birthday to me back in April - it was 98 percent I wanted to die, 2 percent this is the coolest thing ever.

I guess it also proves they are actually paying attention when looking through the bags, which is good.

Hyde Park Blast 4 mile today:

This is my 3rd time doing this race. I don't love it, but it is a really well organized and supported race. It is in a very hilly neighborhood and you really notice that .9 mile over a 5k! It started at 7:30 and it was already very hot and humid--if this had been just 2-3 days ago, weather would have been perfect. I was already dripping from my warmup. My 14 year old raced today also and he stopped warming up because he was hot. Anyway, final time was 25:59 (yes, squeaked under 26), pace 6:29/mile, 9th OA female, and 2nd in division. I was 3 seconds slower this year and it was during the final mile--how I just wanted it to be over (and to get a drink of water!). Top 50 males and females get a really nice long sleeve Brooks running shirt with "Top 50 Finisher" on it. I swear I do this race for this shirt--it's that nice. Fantastic amenities at the end--craft beer, donuts, bagels, Goetta sliders (not that my vegan self eats that), and all finishers got a really nice beach/sweat towel. The whole event lasts all day with chariot races and bike races, but I just hang out for a little bit after the 4 miler.

36434298_10213471777483418_7449455195332804608_n.jpg

ACTUAL RUNNING QUESTION!

I recently switched from running in Brooks to running Nike Flyknit shoes (one pair of Free RN, one pair of Flex RN) ... but these shoelaces are legit the worst I've ever dealt with. They will not stay tied, and general laces (because I got desperate today) really throw off the feel of the shoe.

Any ideas on what to do?

a pair of running shoes i bought a few years ago came with the oval/bubble pattern laces that supposedly stay tied better. i guess they worked because i never had an issue (but I usually don't have an issue with this). this pair i found online is the same style. i'm not recommending these particular laces specifically (since i haven't tried them), just suggesting this style as an option to address your problem.

June recap:
45.9 miles- a high, I went out this morning at 6:30 and it was already 80* & 80% humidity, I was fun not making 46 miles, there is always July!
Average of 12:02/mile, this week’s slow, hot runs bumped me over 12, so again, always July!

In a fashion I would not have imagined, I found myself running through landscaping sprinklers this week. Had you a month ago suggested I would risk some sort of rash from what is probably grey water, I would have laughed.

I’m looking forward to what July brings!

June Totals:
Miles: 65.28 (my first time over 60 in a while)
Time: 13:23:15 hours
Average Pace: 12:18 min/mi

Also - would it make me a complete butthole if I got a "Happy Birthday" pin, wrote "'Murica" on it, and wore it on July 4th?
(My sister and I were actually discussing buttons yesterday - she wants an "I'm celebrating" for herself and/or birthday buttons for both of us, but we'll see what we actually do. We have like 12-14 hours to decide :))

It’s great to be back on a marathon training plans. Mileages are starting to feel more natural. There were some runs this month where it felt like everything was coming back nicely. There were others where the heat, humidity, work stress and lack of sleep made them feel like I was running in mashed potatoes! At any rate:

June Totals
Running total: 102.4 mi (great to be back over 100!)
Biking total: 5 mi

Yes, that’s biking making an appearance. Since I’ve had to drop the 5th day of running for injury prevention purposes, I’ve been looking for a replacement cardio. Also thinking about an IM70.3 in the next couple of years. I know we’ve got a number who tri hard on here, so can I ask a couple of questions?

I need a new bike. All I have is a 14yo mountain bike and I really feel like I’m fighting the road with it. I’ve got a number of good bike shops near me that cover the major brands very well. The one I like is big on Specialized. I test rode a Roubaix out there yesterday and wanted to try an Allez, but they didn’t have one in my size. I really enjoyed the Roubaix and it just went on sale. Any feedback on that model or what I should be looking for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter