The Running Thread - 2018

Driving down to the Atlanta area today. Has anyone ran trails at Stone Mountain or Panola State Park? Thoughts?

Also, anyone know of good trails in the Spartanburg, SC area?

June - 207 miles (my marathon is Sept. 16)

I just ordered a pair of Goodr sunglasses since some of you have given them good reviews on various threads. For some reason I stopped wearing sunglasses to run, well Friday's run I'm pretty sure I burnt my eyes, it's not the first time either.

Last edited:
I need a new bike. All I have is a 14yo mountain bike and I really feel like I’m fighting the road with it. I’ve got a number of good bike shops near me that cover the major brands very well. The one I like is big on Specialized. I test rode a Roubaix out there yesterday and wanted to try an Allez, but they didn’t have one in my size. I really enjoyed the Roubaix and it just went on sale. Any feedback on that model or what I should be looking for?

First, you need a road bike if you want to do a tri of any substantial distance (if you have never done one sign up for a sprint and use your mountain bike.) At some point you are going to consider whether you also need an aero bike. I don't recommend that until you are seriously participating in tris on a regular basis.

As to the road bike, I have no advice on specific brand. The various shops are going to push the brands they are licensed to sell. Road bike frames are fairly similar from brand to brand - and most probably get frames from the same manufacturer in China. I would say that you should focus on the following:

1. Type of frame (carbon, aluminum, steel etc). Carbon is likely your best bet and most stock road bikes are going to be carbon. If you are looking at a lower price point aluminum will be fine.

2. Components. This is the most important consideration and the factor that will drive the cost. Lower price point bikes usually come with cheap components. They will wear out quickly. Take some time to learn the various component levels. For example, if Shimano components I would not go any lower than Ultegra level.

3. Wheel set. For now, go with the stock wheel set. You can always purchase a better set later.

4. Price point. This is really a compilation of items 1-3. I would not compromise on the components. Also, the best deals are usually found on Craig's List, ebay etc. I purchased my Felt road bike from a dealer but luckily found my size in a year-old model right when the new models were coming in. I found my Scott aerobike on Craig's List. $4,000 value for $1,000. The seller owned it for less than one year, rode it less than 50 miles and sold because the Air Force was transferring him. The race wheels cost more than what I paid for the bike.

Whatever you purchase, make sure that it is properly fitted. Good luck.

Coming back from my bicycle crash I had a slow start to the month but finished well. No races to report.

Swim: 18,000 meters (11.2 miles)
Bike: 168 miles
Run: 96 miles

Two possible sprint tris in July to start getting ready for longer distances in the fall.

June:

mileage: 236.16
avg. pace: 7:33/mile

The beginning of June was light because of WDW/Universal vacation. I ran every day on the treadmill of vacation, only 5-7 miles. Mileage has picked up since my oldest has started cross country conditioning. I can get my run in while he practices. I leave for Hawaii on Thursday for 2 weeks, so July will be spotty.

I need a new bike. All I have is a 14yo mountain bike and I really feel like I’m fighting the road with it. I’ve got a number of good bike shops near me that cover the major brands very well. The one I like is big on Specialized. I test rode a Roubaix out there yesterday and wanted to try an Allez, but they didn’t have one in my size. I really enjoyed the Roubaix and it just went on sale. Any feedback on that model or what I should be looking for?

My primary suggestion is to dedicate an afternoon and go from shop to shop test riding them. Each manufacturer has slightly different frame geometries, stem lengths, etc. What feels good for one person will feel terrible for another. Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Cervelo... are all good brands, so the important part is to make sure it fits correctly (and within your budget)

The first thing you should be when buying a bike is get a professional fit. Visit a fitter who is not trying to sell you a certain model of bike but rather one who will help define what size frame and what geometry your body needs. Once you have those numbers, you can find bikes that fit you as opposed to making you fit on any random bike. In addition to looking at bikes in your local bike shop after you have been to your fitting, I recommend checking out Canyon. They make fantastic bikes and sell direct to you.

I have two Specialized bikes - a Dolce Elite and a Ruby Elite, and I love both for very different reasons. I don't think you can go wrong with anything that Specialized offers, but I definitely wouldn't buy a brand-new bike without trying multiple brands.

Honestly, both of my road bikes I tested models and sizes and then found used versions being sold for far cheaper on Craigslist and Facebook. I likely won't buy a brand-new bike until the day comes where I decided to go full tri bike.

4. Price point. This is really a compilation of items 1-3. I would not compromise on the components. Also, the best deals are usually found on Craig's List, ebay etc. I purchased my Felt road bike from a dealer but luckily found my size in a year-old model right when the new models were coming in. I found my Scott aerobike on Craig's List. $4,000 value for $1,000. The seller owned it for less than one year, rode it less than 50 miles and sold because the Air Force was transferring him. The race wheels cost more than what I paid for the bike.

This x100! I paid $450 for my Dolce Elite off Craigslist - the frame was three years old, but all of the components had been upgraded, cables had been split for aerobar brakes, new wheels, etc. That bike is easily worth $2k in all the components.

But, I would vet the bike with either the seller or the bike shop ... I took mine in to get fitted after I bought it and everything was great, but I had no idea my tires were tubeless. That knowledge would've come in handy when I had a flat a couple of weeks ago ...

I have a Trek 4900 I bought in Indiana over a decade ago for $400 + 5% tax (good old days).
I have easily put 5000 miles on it.
I used to live in the Disney World area and on many Sundays I would do a 40 mile loop around the property.
Wilderness, Springs, Celebration, Boardwalk, etc.

My point is that you really don't have to spend a ton of money to get a great bike.

When I retire, I plan to build my own bike. One with 5 or 6 speeds.
Seriously, my bike has 24 speeds?
REALLY? I use three!

I have a Trek 4900 I bought in Indiana over a decade ago for $400 + 5% tax (good old days).
I have easily put 5000 miles on it.
I used to live in the Disney World area and on many Sundays I would do a 40 mile loop around the property.
Wilderness, Springs, Celebration, Boardwalk, etc.

My point is that you really don't have to spend a ton of money to get a great bike.

When I retire, I plan to build my own bike. One with 5 or 6 speeds.
Seriously, my bike has 24 speeds?
REALLY? I use three!

I use about three speeds here in Orlando.

I need all the other ones everywhere else.

:rotfl2:

Reading about bikes, I am sad I have not been on my road bike this year. I have a Scott
Carbon frame. We scrapped biking for hiking this year. I just can’t do it all and work. I need to work to pay for those hobbies. I have hiked 53 miles of the Appalachian Trail in GA though. Hoping to finish the last 25 miles this year while training for Chicago. Unlikely I will get use out of the bike this year :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter