The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: We have discussed what are some of the must haves for running in past QOTD's and have had some great answers. Today, lets talk about a purchase you made that turned out to be a bust. What was wrong with it and what made you buy it in the first place?

ATTQOTD: A few years ago I was having some crazy foot pain. It felt like I had rocks in my shoes and my toes were broken. I thought that if I could strengthen the muscles in my feet it would help and over time it would get better. Turns out nothing was broken but inflamed. The solution ended up being dry needling, but before I went that route I purchased this product.... The Foot Gym

41qO%2BYFSnaL._SX466_.jpg

While it was not a complete bust, it was by far the one item I own that I can live without for running.

This week we have the following posters with a race:

18 - @KSellers88 - Area 13.1 Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
18 - @DopeyBadger - Madison Mini HM (1:29:59 / N/A)
18 - @Slogger - Area 13.1 Half Marathon (2:15:00 / N/A)
18 - @baxter24 - Derek Davis 5k (NG/ N/A)
19 - @Slogger - August Madness Half Marathon (2:05:00 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend at your race! Looks like two of you will be at the same half marathon.. DIS meet up! If you need to revise your goal or if anyone else has a race that would like me to add to the OP, please let me know. Good luck again and we look forward to reading how your race weekend goes!

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Long time, no talk about running....

-Man, life really gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it? Two bouts of tendinitis in the past six weeks, plus travel, a days-long power outage, etc., means my running has gotten completely off track. Diet has slipped too. It really does snowball.

-Decided to start a 10,000-steps-a-day streak. Was gonna due a 5k-a-day run streak, but I have a work convention in several weeks that usually leaves no time(or energy) for running, either before the day begins, or after the day ends. I sure do pile on the steps that week, though. May start a run streak as soon as I get back.

-I only have two free Saturdays between now and Thanksgiving, so probably just knocking out a couple of local 5k's. Then gearing up for a half in the Spring. No Disney races on the horizon, though.

I don't know any of you, but as I prepped for the Dark Side half, this thread was an awesome source of info, insight, encouragement, and entertainment. I've missed it.

QOTD: We have discussed what are some of the must haves for running in past QOTD's and have had some great answers. Today, lets talk about a purchase you made that turned out to be a bust. What was wrong with it and what made you buy it in the first place?
Newton running shoes. The lugs caused me massive problems and resulted in a few foot problems. I bought them as a different type of shoe to mix in my rotation to help strengthen my feet and lower legs. Some people swear by them, but for me they were a flop.

I am swamped at work and missed like 10 pages and no time to go back and read. Plus all the other threads I follow. Trying to get caught up is overwhelming so I may just skip to the end on everything!

ATTQOTD: I will go along the same lines as @BuckeyeBama and say my Nike Free shoes. Zero drop was not for me, put me on the DL for a month and a half with Achilles tendonitis. Mid range drop works perfect! Love my Saucony Guides.

I don’t think I really have made a major bust purchase. That’s why I’m hesitant on spending money on new things. I don’t want to “waste” it. I have bought a running hat but I don’t like to wear hats while I run so I guess that could be it?

18 - @DopeyBadger - Madison Mini HM (1:24:59 / N/A)

I'll change mine to 1:29:59 instead. Haven't cracked the 90 min barrier on the HM yet (yet seemingly still believe I can do it twice to get the sub-3 in October, go figure...). The weather looks good but not ideal, so I'm hoping a sub-90 is more realistic given where I'm at and the forecasted conditions.

ATTQOTD--Almost every shoe I've bought outside of my New Balance racing flats has been a bust. I had really hoped I'd like Altras since they're zero drop, but they're shaped funny (kinda like clown shoes?) and it hurts my knees to run in them.

Still, I would say the biggest bust in terms of running purchases has been my Apple Watch. It's a fine gadget for everyday use, but it has really failed me in terms of run tracking. I used to use the Nike app to track my runs on my phone. Unfortunately, the app on the phone and the app on the watch cannot seem to get it together. I have a devil of a time even starting a run on the watch app if I have the phone with me too (I push the start "button" on the watch face and it does nothing. I have to mash it 10-15 times before it will start. Not an issue when I leave the phone at home though. No amount of deleting and reloading the apps on both devices seems to fix it....). Also, the GPS tracking is poor and I've quickly grown out of the basic level of information it provides. If I got it first, I'd probably just wear my Vivoactive everyday. But my fiance bought me the Apple watch, so that's what I wear to work. It looks goofy to wear two watches all day!

ATTQOTD: A drawer full of Sparkle Skirts! They were better than some other running skirts I'd tried at that point, but were never as comfortable - or as flattering - as I wanted them to be. Once I found Skirt Sports, that was it for the Sparkles. Thank goodness for a healthy resale market!

I think my biggest bust was some custom insoles I had bought for my running shoes. I had been having foot pain and they were recommended by the running store. Well, they felt great on my feet but sadly gave me sharp knee pain instead.

I am swamped at work and missed like 10 pages and no time to go back and read. Plus all the other threads I follow. Trying to get caught up is overwhelming so I may just skip to the end on everything!

ATTQOTD: I will go along the same lines as @BuckeyeBama and say my Nike Free shoes. Zero drop was not for me, put me on the DL for a month and a half with Achilles tendonitis. Mid range drop works perfect! Love my Saucony Guides.

You follow threads other than this one? :sad2::teeth:

QOTD: When I first started running I spent probably $200 on different foam rollers. Then i found my R* recovery roller and now I have $200 woth of space consuming, dust collecting, foam rollers. I can't recall any other major "busts".

ATTQOTD: I'm cheap, so nothing really. I got fitted for shoes just so I wouldn't waste money on something that didn't work for me. I've looked at garmins but I'm on my second free fitbit now and it works just fine. I couldn't justify the money on a garmin when I'm more of a casual runner.

ATTQOTD: Not really a "bust," but maybe buyer's remorse is more appropriate: I purchased an introductory package for gait analysis, vo2 max testing, nutritionist, strength and conditioning, and professional analysis of my results from a company in Richmond, VA. The entire process was interesting and helpful but in hindsight it may have been better to sign up with a run coach, OR a nutritionist, OR a strength and conditioning coach instead of having one session with each.

ATTQOTD:

View attachment 343936

If there is any saving grace in this, at least they were a gift and I didn’t spend my money on them. But wow, did they cause some serious injuries. Not for me.

I liked running in my Five Fingers.... until I started running more than 3-4 miles at a time. Then they caused too much damage to the front of my feet (when my foot landed), which caused me to lose my running form, which led to ankle and knee issues. I wish they worked though. If they could make these with some more cushioning, I would be willing to try them for sure.

ATTQOTD: Hmmmm.... I really don't think I have wasted money on anything running related yet. I don't use my roller as much as I should, but when I use it I feel so much better. I use my running belt on long runs. I use my flashing light vest during dark morning runs. I guess I have a few pairs of shorts that aren't my favorite so I don't wear them as much as the others. But they still get used...

I'll change mine to 1:29:59 instead. Haven't cracked the 90 min barrier on the HM yet (yet seemingly still believe I can do it twice to get the sub-3 in October, go figure...). The weather looks good but not ideal, so I'm hoping a sub-90 is more realistic given where I'm at and the forecasted conditions.
SWEET. I might actually win the contest!

It looks goofy to wear two watches all day!

But does it, really?..... Yeah, it probably does. But it doesn't stop me from doing it. Hahahaha.

IMG_7650.JPG

ATTQOTD:
A few years ago I strained my Achilles and bought a ankle support to wear. . Oh my what a waist of money.
I am still on the verge of buying a Garmin but I am worried about buyers remorse so I am slow to purchase.

FlipBelt. that thing slid all over the place. I started with it on my waist and ended the run with it under my chest area. Not for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter