The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Of the Disney races you have run or planning to run, tell us about two of your favorite spots along the course and two spots that you do not like. With W&D, Marathon weekend, and Star Wars weekends all on the horizon, maybe some of our answers can help prepare those who havent run a Disney race can be better prepared for the good and bad of the different races.
ATTQOTD: I'll do my faves and hates by race...

WDW/PHM/SW 5K: Fave: All of WS. That, to me IS the race: the rest is just another day of getting from the parking lot into EP lol! I don't have a 2nd.
Hate: I can't think of any point I really dislike.
WDW/PHM 10K: Fave: 1. EP. 2. Watching the sun rise over the lake? Sublime.
Hate: 1. that first mile, with the hairpin turn onto the overpass. 2. The Boardwalk - I have no idea why!
WDW Half/PHM half: Fave: 1. The back half of World Dr. heading away from Mk, toward EP. The glorious feeling of finally having room to get into a good rhythm! 2. The final turn out of EP backstage, when you see the finish.
WDW Marathon: Fave: 1. All of AK. 2. EP. Clearly, I really enjoy running in EP lol!
Hate: 1. The back half of World Dr. heading away from MK... which is weird, given how much I love it in the half. 2. Victory Way, both directions. I hate everything, and everyone, at that point.

W&D 10K: Fave: 1. DHS, all decorated and lit up for the holidays! 2. EP. :)
Hate: I don't really hate anything about it, but I don't love the Boardwalk stretch.
W&D Half: Um, there's nothing that stands out for me as a "love" or "hate" - which is probably why I'm thinking of dropping it from my repertoire after this year.

SWDS 5K: Fave: 1. and 2. PHOTO OPS!!!
Hate: the price - which is why I skipped it this year :(
SWDS 10K: Fave: 1. the 501st in DHS - soooo many amazing photo ops! 2. EP. :)
Hate: NOTHING!
SWDS Half: Fave: 1. 501st stops again! 2. The "battle" effects on Bear Island Rd.
Hate: Not a single thing!

QOTD: Of the Disney races you have run or planning to run, tell us about two of your favorite spots along the course and two spots that you do not like. With W&D, Marathon weekend, and Star Wars weekends all on the horizon, maybe some of our answers can help prepare those who havent run a Disney race can be better prepared for the good and bad of the different races.

Marathon - my favorite parts of the marathon course are: 1) the stretch from Grand Floridian to AK. I like how it's typically quiet and peaceful, a good environment for settling into the middle portion of the race. Plus, there are normally some rare and interesting characters along that stretch. 2) from Boardwalk to Epcot. Lots of people out cheering, and you know once you enter Epcot you're in the home stretch. Least favorite parts: 1) the out and back before AK. Boring, pointless, and full of too many course cutters. 2) the time spent on Osceola Parkway. I like running through ESPN but hate getting to it from AK. At that point, its usually warm, sunny, and there's nothing much to look at.

Half - favorites: 1) running up Main Street, about the only really interesting part of this course. 2) entering Epcot and running out and back around the tree. Least favorites: 1) Start to MK, nothing but boring darkness. 2) GF to Epcot, aside from the Green Army Man, there's not much to see along this part.

10k - favorites: 1) the loop around the Epcot resorts, filled with people often handing out booze. 2) Running around World Showcase in the dark with the torches lit. Makes me wish the marathon still did this for the first 3 miles. That was the best part of the old full course. Least favorite: 1) starting in the parking lot. 2) the hairpin turn after the first mile or so.

5k - favorites: 1) running through Epcot. 2) running through Epcot. Least favorite: 1) the parking lot. 2) the parking lot.

ATTQOTD:
My first rD event was the Avengers 10K @ DL. I loved every step of it! The first section of non-park pavement was filled with anticipation, Cars Land all lit up brought tears to my eyes as I vowed I would be bringing my children there ASAP, I loved watching the jellies bouncing up and down in the dark, the backstage area was pretty cool to look at as someone who grew up hearing dad talk about fixing industrial boilers and HVAC, Steve Rogers was at the half way point, I ran the second half with DH, had never seen toon town before, squealed at IASW all lit up, stopped for a picture next to the Christmas tree, and was thrilled with the crowds and signs on the non-park portion on the way to the finish. If they bring back DL races, I will be there!
My second rD was the Princess 10K, and after the DL race, I was a little disappointed. The long slog before getting into the park was too much, I would have preferred them to figure out some way to take us into the front of epcot earlier, even if we had to come back out and weave through again later. I did love the non-traditional characters outside of Norway, and of course the world showcase was cool. The resort area was better than the beginning, but still not a park. As a bonus, DH wheeled the kids out to the course in their stroller so I got high fives from their stuffed animals which DL did not have going for it. I did appreciate having a bus to take me back to the hotel whereas in Anaheim I had to walk back to the convention center which was not awesome.

I have two rD events on the horizon. The cast member 5K is in AK and I am excited to see what they can do with that, and I am hoping a larger portion of the miles are in the park. I also have zero intent of running, I am there for the sights and sillies with my friend. I am leary of the half due to the long slog of highway between Epcot and MK, and I am hoping that the way back is not dreadful as I could run a boring race closer to home, but it may not be as flat!

ATTQOTD:

The only one I've run extensively is Marathon Weekend, so those are the courses I know haven't changed and that I know the best.

5K & 10K-I don't have much bad to say about either of these courses. For 3.1- and 6.2-mile runs they go by very quickly. They're pretty ideal for the length of the run; I even like the starting road portion of the 10K because it gives a nice stretch where the field can spread out before entering the more cramped portions of the course.

Half- Ugh. There's only one good thing about the Half: MK. It is a really awesome good thing, it's the Magic Kingdom after all; but the course other than MK is pretty awful. The exit ramp, multiple overpasses, very little time in Epcot. It achieves the absolute bare minimum that the locale affords.

Full-My favorite course. Obviously love running through the parks. Don't mind WWoS all that much (real bathrooms, shade, track and stadium, etc.). Also, it is some respite after my least favorite portion of the course: the highway after AK all the way into WWoS. That portion is hot, unrelenting, boring, and the spot on the course where the length of the Marathon always hits me hardest.

ATTQOTD:
I've only done Princess and the highlight was definitely MK. Nothing beats seeing the castle! I also really loved the first few miles- I think the excitement of finally running made everything seem so exciting!
Like others, I didn't love the long stretch of highway after MK, especially around Mile 8.

ATTQOTD: Neither of the runDisney races I've done exist anymore. :D Well, W&D does, but I did it the last year of night races, so the course doesn't exist anymore and on top of that we only ran half of it because of the lightning delay. But I guess I'll answer even though it's not relevant anymore.

Tink HM
Best - All the parts in the park and all the Red Hat ladies that were there as you exited DD out to the streets of Anaheim
Worst - Everything after the Red Hat ladies

W&D HM (night time)
Best - Running through the Osborne Lights and just running around in general at night in HS, Boardwalk, and Epcot
Worst - The roads outside WWoS, after the wheeee we're running at Disney enthusiasm wore off

ATTQOTD - My answers all tie to the marathon, and they are common answers: Favorites - every step of the run through Magic Kingdom and my walk through Epcot with beer in hand as I finish the race. My least favorite - the race track and the entire ESPN WoS Complex.

It was interesting when the race track was a part of the marathon. I fully intended to hate it - and I did hate that ridiculously steep tunnel entrance - but I actually enjoyed it. I appreciated all the folks who brought their vehicles and provided support that early in the morning. I didn't care much for running on the grass on exit, but I do miss it. It was infinitely better than the out and back addition on Western Way they added to make up for some of that lost distance, and which I loathe entirely (3rd worst part of the course).

ATTQOTD:

WnD 10k: Loved everything about it! Especially the Bordwalk, DHS decorated for the Holidays and Epcot at night.

WnD Half: Loved the fact that, because Day Light Saving ajustements, this race is so different from the 10k. The above points are now in the day and with regular guests and spectators. Completely a different vibe. Favorite part is AK and Epcot but even the stretch in between was good because I could run, watch other runners, read spectators signs and there were well placed characters. I am so glad this was my first Half, especially after reading your answers about WDW Half.

A special mention to the fact that WnD Half includes a Sunday night party. Favorite parts of those were the DISmeet and all the rides. Least favorite: It was the end of the weekend!

ATTQOTD: Favorites: 1) Running through World Showcase- I always get a little burst of energy to take me to the finish. 2) The fireworks at the beginning, mainly becasue I know I'm finally going to move.

Least Favorites: 1) The stretch between DHS and Boardwalk- too tight. 2) The treatment plant (I think that's what it is?) smell before Animal Kingdom- I only remember this at W&D 2017 HM, so not sure if this is on other courses.

Yesterday's ATTQOTD: I bought a bladder for my hydration vest a few months ago, for all the long miles I'd be putting in this summer... that didn't happen. It's still in the box. But I'm sure it will come in handy during the long training runs leading up to marathon weekend.

ATTQOTD: Oh man, this question got my emotions flowing... and I apologize in advance for so much Disneyland Race talk.

Disneyland 10k: In 2014, this was my first runDisney race. This was also my first time going to California Adventure. Being able to experience Carsland and the Pier during sunrise when I had never seen then before in my life was the best feeling. I smiled so big, I got teary eyed, it was perfect. This is the equivalent of running through the castle, but at another park. There is also this tunnel on the 10k course that dips down and back up and everyone hates it, but I love it! Plus you get to run through the castle still when you get to Disneyland. This course is the most magical course in the world. You can't convince me otherwise.

Disneyland Half: In 2014, I did the challenge and I wish I had trained more so I could have enjoyed this race more, but I was struggling. The best parts were the old classic cars lined up during a more desolate area on the way to the Honda Center. (They weren't there during the last Disneyland race, the Superhero Half and it made me sad). Then there was this back trail before you got to the Angel's Stadium that I actually liked. Then running through Angel's Stadium was SO MUCH FUN! Anything I didn't like, I chalk it up to the fact that I just wasn't ready to run a Half Marathon at the time.

I won't talk about Tink or Avengers. I know these aren't helpful now, but these two races were my first and mean so much to me.

W&D 10k: Man, those first three miles are the worst and then that dang overpass/turn/hill, UGH. But then finally getting to DHS was cool, because I always loved running through the streets of California Adventure and DHS is similar just add a huge Christmas tree!

W&D Half: Boring, Firework shrapnel falling on my head, Waste treatment plant, boring, boring, oooo Animal Kingdom (that was cool because it was my first time there), but then OMG the trek from AK around that overpass/turn/hill, and finally to DHS is awful. And since I hadn't been to the boardwalk or Epcot when I had ran this, I thought the boardwalk WAS Epcot and when you think that it makes 13 miles seem like FOREVER. Anyway, I wasn't a fan of this course.

I'm really being a Debbie Downer about these, sorry. I just miss the Disneyland races. Maybe Marathon weekend will be different. I haven't done a 5k at WDW or the Marathon soooooo.

I was going to post this in my training journal, but...I think it's worth getting input from the larger group.

I did only my Tuesday run last week, no Thursday run, no Saturday long run (for context, my longest long run has been 3 miles), didn't even do my morning walks on the off days. That was because I had very noticeable swelling in both legs, the left more than the right, and lingering shin pain for several days in the left. I've had some swelling towards each evening that I'd been chalking up to water retention since it's summer and I've been eating poorly (way too much fast food, which means way too much salt on top of everything else that's bad for me in it), but after things suddenly coming to a head last week I'm wondering if I've been beating my legs up more than I thought I was. There's also the issue, as I mentioned in my journal, that my new running shoes slip a little in the heel no matter how I lace them and I think it contributed to the problem. Of course, the big contributor was the fact that I noticed my shin hurting more than usual about halfway through the run (I've had mild pain after each run that goes away within a few hours...another clue that I was doing worse things to myself than I thought?) and...kept going through the pain. Gee, what's that thing we don't do, again?

Because this is still so new to me, I get a little scared when I see myself just not running for most of a week, especially since I didn't do any of my weekend routine to prepare to start up again this week. I have no plan for this week, running laundry's not done, none of that. Having started things and then quit when it got too hard, I remember having times where I would intend to pick something back up again after a break and just never did--so while I don't want to throw myself back into behaviors that could cause an injury, I'm being very conscious of the need to keep thinking about running and making real, solid plans for what I'm going to do next. Last week was more hectic than I'd expected, so it wasn't until last night that I got back to doing a little reading and thinking about what this looks like.

Thoughts I'm having...I'm on the Galloway method, and it seems he's recommending (at this stage at least) two "maintenance" runs on weekdays and one long, slow run on the weekend with a full rest day before the long run. What I've been doing are two half-hour runs on weekdays during which I push myself about as hard as I can sustain for that half hour, and I do about 70 minutes of walking the day before my long run mostly out of scheduling convenience (I walk to work on my walking days, and Saturday's a better day for me to run than Sunday). I'm currently running 10 seconds, walking 50, and my pace rarely gets under 15:00 per mile--more often I'm around 15:30. This is after I deliberately slowed myself down because I could tell I was hurting my shins and fading at the ends of runs when I ran 15/45 and pushed for a faster pace. Now I'm wondering if I need to slow down even more, and that's disheartening. I think the 10/50 ratio is alright, but...and this is seriously frustrating...I'm wondering if I should be aiming for something more like 16:00. I'm about 60-70 pounds heavier than I'd ultimately like to be, which is less a concern in terms of "burn fat now!" (I'm viewing weight loss as a secondary benefit of running, if it happens at all) and more a concern in terms of "I'm putting stress on my joints." So I recognize that 16:00 at 10/50 might be the best I can do right now without hurting myself. It's frustrating, though.

In the long term, my goals include running a half marathon next June and the WDW Marathon in January 2020. So far I've gone into this with the assumption that my focus throughout my training needs to be on distance and that I'll naturally be able to increase my intervals as I build up endurance. I can't explain exactly how the thought got in my head, but now I keep coming back to the thought that maybe I should focus on increasing my ability to run longer intervals on shorter runs before I build much further past 3 miles. I just imagine myself slogging through ten miles at my current ratio and pace and it doesn't sound like where I'll want to be. I'm thinking about things like...if I focus on short distance runs (maybe up to 10K) now through January, I'll still have six months to train to run the HM distance, and then another six months to train to run marathon distance. And maybe being able to run more and walk less by the time I start adding longer runs will make things easier at that point. But then I don't know if teaching myself to run higher ratios on shorter runs will be better or worse for preventing injury than focusing only on distance.

And so, back to the injury question...I think there are a couple things I need to examine. First, I need to get serious about stretching, which I haven't really been doing (if only because every time I look up how and what to stretch I get inundated with what seems like a billion different stretches I'll never remember to do after every run). Second, I suspect strength training might benefit me--that's strength training in terms of building up my core and any other muscle groups that might help me function better as a runner. Third, I need to deal with the shoe situation. Any recommendations for getting the heel to stop slipping? I was informed in my journal thread that some running stores will exchange shoes even if they've been run in a bit, but the store from which I bought them is a three hour drive away. If I need to replace the shoes, I'm probably more inclined to go to the other one that's only a 90 minute drive and just eat the cost of the additional pair. Fourth, I do need to consider what my priorities are as I build my training plan going forward and as I decide whether to slow down on those weekday runs and make them truly "easy" instead of the "moderate" I suspect they currently are. And, too, whether I need to take Fridays off from walking to give my legs a full rest before the long run instead of taking that rest the day after.

For now I'm committing to at least walking throughout this week, whether or not I get any runs in before the weekend. So whether or not I think of anything else, I need to post this and go--it's past time for me to set out to walk to work.

Edit: Yeah, didn't get the walk in, waited too long to start and just drove to work. So that's starting the week out less than ideally.
I’m catching up on the board during my lunch break, so don’t have time for a long response but I can share some info on the customized Galloway plan. I just signed up for my third round with Coach Twiggs, and I really like having a plan in place for my goals that I don’t need to (over)think about. I’ll send you a PM later when I have some time to share some details of the program.

ATTQOTD: Oh man, this question got my emotions flowing... and I apologize in advance for so much Disneyland Race talk.

Disneyland 10k: In 2014, this was my first runDisney race. This was also my first time going to California Adventure. Being able to experience Carsland and the Pier during sunrise when I had never seen then before in my life was the best feeling. I smiled so big, I got teary eyed, it was perfect. This is the equivalent of running through the castle, but at another park. There is also this tunnel on the 10k course that dips down and back up and everyone hates it, but I love it! Plus you get to run through the castle still when you get to Disneyland. This course is the most magical course in the world. You can't convince me otherwise.

I'm really being a Debbie Downer about these, sorry. I just miss the Disneyland races. Maybe Marathon weekend will be different. I haven't done a 5k at WDW or the Marathon soooooo.

I have had but one opportunity to run the course, and I think it made the WDW equivalent seem less exciting than if I had ran them in the opposite order. Also, I realize Cars Land was so magical to me I forgot all about the castle! It is that good! I also did not hate the tunnel. People around me were griping about it long before we got there and I was expecting Jasper and Horace from 101 Dalmations to be waiting at the tunnel to snatch people and stuff them into sacks or something so villainous.

my first half will be at WDW in 2019, so I am holding out hope that 2020 DL will be back and I can get my first challenge or coast to coast ;)

I love it all of every course as my brain has blocked any parts I did not enjoy :0

But top 2 favorites - Main St. during the half & full and Entering World Showcase during the full

Top 2 least - any & all banked roads and the end of the half course before entering Epcot. (It ended the same when I did Wine & Dine 2016 as well, that course while I didn't mind it was lacking compared to what it is now.)

Firework shrapnel falling on my head
Really, That sounds awful!

ATTQOTD: I’ve only run Princess and SWDS.

Princess 5K: It’s short so being able to fit 2/3 of it in Epcot is awesome. Don’t care for the trash smell as you enter the park in the backstage area.

Princess 10K: I really enjoy this course so my only complaint is the trash aroma as you enter the backstage area of Epcot.

Princess Half: MK is my favorite portion. Least favorite has to the long stretch of nothing once you leave the MK resorts. They need to add better entertainment and characters along that section. That hairpin turn inside of Epcot annoys me.

Star Wars 10K: That long section from MK to HS would be my least favorite. They do a much better job with entertainment/characters than they do with Princess though! My favorite is running through HS.

Star Wars Half: I guess the sewage plant would be the worst part of the course. They really did a great job with on course entertainment in the section leading up to it though. My favorite part was from when you entered HS up until the finish line at Epcot. Those last few miles went by fast.

For anyone wondering how your summer running conditions compare with others, have a look at this map. The map below explains the multiple treadmill, late evening and very early runs for me. lol

Opressive_95F-1200x927.jpg

ATTQOTD: I have only run the Half, so I'll comment on that race. Besides running through the parks which are obviously the best parts of all these races, I liked the start with the fireworks after each wave. I liked looking back and seeing them go off for the waves that were released after me. I also liked running through the main MK parking gate and through the TTC. For Dislikes: all the parts of the course that were narrow. I also did not like that little 180° wrap around the cones. They couldn't extend another part of the course a couple 100 feet to avoid that?

With the Full Marathon and Star Wars challenges coming up, there is alot I am looking forward to :) and alot I am dreading :(

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter