The Running Thread - 2020

Well I signed up for a fall 1/2 marathon this morning! (Good Life Halfsy) They cut the total field in half and are guaranteeing all runners several options if the race can't be held in person. I did this one a few years ago and it was a blast, so I hope all is safe and I can run it this fall!

I am sure you will have a blast those guys know how to put on an event! I love the St. Patrick's day 10K those guys put on, favorite race of the year. I hope we can get a race report on the Good Life Halfsy, I am very interested on hearing how it goes.

Good luck with the training, the heat lately has been brutal (at least for me), I hope it goes well!

Race Report: Tippy Trail 10 Miler, Winimac, Indiana

Yes a Race Report! I was looking for a 10 mile race to use as a POT for the W&D HM and the Marathon Weekend M. The Tippy Trail about 150 miles from suburban Chicago where I live, smack dab in the middle of nowhere. About 100 runners with the course along the Tippecanoe River (remember "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too" from high school history class?)

From a pandemic perspective, the organizers did a great job, aided by the small number of runners:
  • Packet pickup on race day with social distanced lines.
  • Mat timing so we spaced out a lot at the start. I started near the back and probably started 2-3 minutes after gun time. Indiana is a lot more "open" than Illinois, and I am one of just a few people wearing a buff before the race started.
  • We were given our own collapsible cup and volunteers poured water from gallon jugs as we held the cup, so no contact.
I wanted to run a steady 11:15 overall pace (run/walking) which, based on @DopeyBadger 's calculations would give me a sub 2:30 HM equivalent time with a minute or two cushion. My current POT HM time (under almost ideal conditions) is 2:30:34 (11:29 per mile), so it seemed reasonable for the shorter distance. T+D was a worry since it was in the low 140s at the gun and about 150 at the finish. It had rained hard the evening before but was just cloudy with maybe a bit of a very light passing sprinkles from time to time.

Miles 1-2: Wow, this is different from the wider, flat, crushed limestone trails I train on. Close to single track, with lots of spots with about a half inch deep water which were slick as..... (insert your own regional expression). Still completed the miles right on pace. A lot of roots and branches (the pre-race pep talk mentioned steeplechase but I sort of put it out of my mind)

Miles 3-5: Most of the water went away, replaced by short, steep up and down hills. I had to walk up some and could not bomb down the other side because it was just too slippery with too many roots. I don't see anyone ahead or behind; its now my own private race. But I worry that I'm working way too hard to maintain pace for the final 5 miles.

Mile 6: Approach a spot where the trail turns into 3 branches. The volunteer at the junction is playing with his phone and does not notice me waving and then pleading which way to go. I make my own choice. 100+ yards later I hear him chasing me yelling Wrong Way!, Wrong Way! I loose about 3 minutes backtracking.

Mile 7: Now I'm in trouble. I was having difficulty maintaining pace during mile 6, and now I have to make up 15-20 seconds per mile over the last 4 miles. I can barely do the simple calculation in my mind (cushion minus lost time divided by 4 miles left). I decide to pick up the pace and go until I can't. I finish the mile in just over 11:15 so I don't make up any lost ground.

Mile 8: I hit a bunch of hills and start bombing down them in a mad scramble to make up time. I take a bad stumble/tumble and lose any hope of making my goal time.

Miles 9-10: I walk too much, without any motivation left to move faster. With apologies to The Clash, I am singing to myself, "I fought the law and the law won, I fought the trail and the trail won." I don't even look at my watch as I stop it crossing the finish line.

I'm surprised to learn that I finished 2nd in my age group and received a fun wooden coaster. You have to love small races with age group awards. There were only 4 folks in my group (male 60-64) and one was a DNF.

So after my initial disappointment that the weather, trail conditions, detour, and my own mental fortitude derailed my attempt, I'm now just grateful I was able to get back to trail racing. A bad day on the trails is still better than a good day sheltering at home!

Last edited:
Well, I entered a new age group today. So naturally I had to celebrate by signing up for a Labor Day 50k. Here’s hoping it’s actually run! I think it’s got a pretty good chance. It’s less than 150 runners on a trail course in rural NC about an hour from me. The good news/bad news is it’s a 4 loop course. Bad because loops aren’t the safest in today’s environment, but good because I can carry minimal hydration and nutrition, stopping to draw from a personal supply after each loop. Fingers crossed! There’s still 25k & 50k spots available if anyone needs a race that’s likely to be run!

Oh I've been off the forums too long! Just got caught up here and forgot how much I love this thread.

Signed up for a birthday marathon in SC in January. They are offering flexible registration credit if COVID continues to impact races. I'm much excited. Found a new running group here and that has been a great boost!

... but I am definitely itchy for a race.

Me too. Any interest in the Ath Half? Not saying I'm in, but toying with the idea. It has a K.A. hill around 11. This is the kind of hill that your car (well, my car) doesn't want to go up. It's a different course than when I ran it, but I'm pretty sure it's the same hill. On that course, I'm thinking 1:55ish. Possibly faster, if I actually follow a plan between now and then.

Looks like they now have a race day packet pickup option (+15 bucks) to save a trip.

https://athhalf.com/

@OldSlowGoofyGuy that is a killer hill but i am in for considering it for sure. going to take a look. It will be after my virtual Boston. BTW, i am still plotting out courses. There is a FB group that i might do the race with but i am not sure yet. i am also keeping you on the list for course companion. i am making up some loops that will get me back and forth to the condo so i can drop a buddy and pick up a new one. I will be fair weather fan so as it is closer i will decide if i do it Friday, Sat or Sun. that is Sep 11, 12, or 13. i am not planning on running the thing fast. in fact i am hoping to make it a joy run and do it in 5 or 6 hours.

Well, I entered a new age group today. So naturally I had to celebrate by signing up for a Labor Day 50k. Here’s hoping it’s actually run! I think it’s got a pretty good chance. It’s less than 150 runners on a trail course in rural NC about an hour from me. The good news/bad news is it’s a 4 loop course. Bad because loops aren’t the safest in today’s environment, but good because I can carry minimal hydration and nutrition, stopping to draw from a personal supply after each loop. Fingers crossed! There’s still 25k & 50k spots available if anyone needs a race that’s likely to be run!

Happy Birthday!

June 2020
All running
Miles: 52.84
Avg. Pace: 9:46

My motivation has has plummeted into the ground and exploded in a fiery ball leaving only ashes and the memories of races past. :(

On top of that, our local (Columbus, OH in mid-Oct) marathon has been cancelled. Not a surprise in the least but...still.

I still am signed-up for the Space Coast, which is now offering a virtual option even though they haven't cancelled the "real" race yet. I'm thinking it will eventually be virtual-only by November.

Sorry to be such a bummer but that's my current state right now. On the "plus"(?) side, I've started strength-training and trying to brush up on Spanish. I never really got the handle on those direct and indirect objects.

June running:
Distance: 74.3 miles
Average pace: 11:47 per mile (weirdly *exactly* the same as last month)

Started a new DopeyBadger plan yesterday, for my Labor Day 10k and the Philly Marathon, neither of which have been canceled yet. Mileage will start picking up for the second half of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter