The Running Thread - 2020

I don’t know that they’re trying to force the field into the virtual option so much as that’s a natural consequence of the changes that they’ve been forced into. Their notice said that they weren’t going to be able to keep the course open as long, so they had to increase the minimum pace to ensure the course could be cleared on time.

Based on the results of people who ran last year, if they only took people who could maintain a better than 12:00 pace, that would result in only 10,375 runners.

If they limited it to those who could maintain a better than 14:00 pace, it would be 15,681. The total number who completed the race were 18,512.

I'm not saying that they would be doing this without Covid19, but the new pace requirement would result in a significant decrease in the number of participants and enable them to better space out people on the course.

If they went down to 10:00 miles, they'd only need to plan the event for 4062 participants. My fingers are crossed that it doesn't come to that.

Based on the results of people who ran last year, if they only took people who could maintain a better than 12:00 pace, that would result in only 10,375 runners.

If they limited it to those who could maintain a better than 14:00 pace, it would be 15,681. The total number who completed the race were 18,512.

I'm not saying that they would be doing this without Covid19, but the new pace requirement would result in a significant decrease in the number of participants and enable them to better space out people on the course.

If they went down to 10:00 miles, they'd only need to plan the event for 4062 participants. My fingers are crossed that it doesn't come to that.

I think tthey'll cancel before they drop it to 10:00. I'm getting pessimistic on any major fall races running.

Philadelphia is still scheduled. At least for the moment. I’ll be surprised if it actually occurs though
I had been unrealistically optimistic about Philly but now that NYC is canceled I'm feeling much less hopeful.

1. Spring
2. Fall
3. Summer
4. Winter

I love Spring running in the same way one would feel great once they stop banging their head against the wall. It feels like the worst is over and temps will pick up, flowers will bloom, days will get longer, etc.

In the past, MCM hasn't had corrals or waves or anything like that to space out runners at the start. Have they said that they will be this year? Previously it's been a completely open starting area with markers that suggest where people planning specific paces should gather.

The other thing with MCM is not only the crowded field, but the crowds on the Metro getting there. In 2017 when I ran, when my train got to the appropriate Metro station, we were packed in like sardines on the platform, up the escalator, and all the way to security. That transition took something like 45 minutes. Of course, this year I imagine Metro won't be running before the marathon since it's already on reduced hours for the pandemic.

Fall - the best weather in New England for running by far
Spring - also great but when the pollen starts, not as nice as autumn
Summer - love the heat over the cold
Winter - after 30 years of working outside, I’ve come to hate winter, and worse is when the runs move to the treadmill, no thanks, I’ll take 90 and humid anytime

Those insane moments running and Disney make you live (only people on this thread will understand)... condensed for reading purposes:

Me: New York Marathon is cancelled, I will defer to 2022 or 2023 but we were supposed to go to Wine and Dine for your first half-Marathon, which year do you prefer?
DD 12yo (after many questions on other possibilities): I prefer the Princess theme and February to go to Florida.
Me and DD 12yo then looked at princess costumes for half an hour.😳

In the past, MCM hasn't had corrals or waves or anything like that to space out runners at the start. Have they said that they will be this year? Previously it's been a completely open starting area with markers that suggest where people planning specific paces should gather.

That hadn't previously, however in an e-mail from the race director today MCM announced that they will be releasing runners in 24 waves over a longer period of time. They also explicitly stated that they dropped the pace in order to decrease the field of in-person participants, while still giving people the chance to beat the bridge while the course is open.

Albeit shorter, even a 10k in late October/ early November could be useful information as to how the marathon may play out. So it may be worth the trade off of slightly less training for an extra race. I’d wait to register for the 10k until after the HM though to see whether the extra information is necessary.
I can pretty much do October 10 or Thanksgiving day for a 10K. That's after a September 20 HM and they're smaller events, so there's plenty of time to sit on registration before I decide whether I'm hitting one of the 10Ks.

Speaking of less training, I've had a nasty head cold this week (no worries, I have checked and rechecked my symptoms and it doesn't match COVID-19, and I'm over the hump and on the mend as of today). Didn't get out for either of my weekday runs what with the congestion and basically wanting to do nothing but curl up on the couch with the dogs and sleep. I'm scheduled for a 5.5 mile run this weekend and I'm considering getting out and walking it (if I'm feeling decent) just to get moving again since I'm not sure my airways are going to be totally clear by then and it may be rough to run. Or I could just chill out until next week but, you know. Stinks to fall out of my rhythm.

Well summer is officially here... you that like to run in the heat are crazy! Let's kick it off with an old fashioned QOTD...

QOTD: What is your "rank of seasons" for running, starting with your favorite?

ATTQOTD:
1. Fall
2. Spring
3. Winter
4. Summer

SAME!
There is nothing like outdoor fall running here. From amazing leaves to running through tailgaters (maybe not this year), to waiting to stop sweating before showering with a glass of apple cider!
Summer kicks my butt. The heat, the storms, the staying up too late because the sun does not set making it hard to wake up- all of it makes outdoor summer running my least favorite time to run.

Back after a week of being in DSL/internet jail:

ATTQOTD:
1. Summer. Explanation: Summers are pretty tough in Georgia, but I hate cold weather. I like that summer eliminates most variables, other than rain. No decision points like long vs. short sleeve shirt, tights vs. shorts, etc. You just put on the bare minimum and go. Yeah, I'm stupid.
2. Fall
3. Spring
4. Winter

Back after a week of being in DSL/internet jail:

ATTQOTD:
1. Summer. Explanation: Summers are pretty tough in Georgia, but I hate cold weather. I like that summer eliminates most variables, other than rain. No decision points like long vs. short sleeve shirt, tights vs. shorts, etc. You just put on the bare minimum and go. Yeah, I'm stupid.
2. Fall
3. Spring
4. Winter
I actually do agree with your summer rationale. Tech t-shirt, running skirt, go. No triple-checking the weather to figure out how many layers to put on or whether I need a buff and ski goggles (I do swear by ski goggles for winter running, though!).

And...this may be gross, but I like coming back all sweaty from a summer run. Makes me feel weirdly accomplished.

Well I signed up for a fall 1/2 marathon this morning! (Good Life Halfsy) They cut the total field in half and are guaranteeing all runners several options if the race can't be held in person. I did this one a few years ago and it was a blast, so I hope all is safe and I can run it this fall!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter