The Running Thread - 2020

Hey folks! MIA again... Storm did not really impact us, we had some 35-40 winds and a little rain, but nothing extreme. My dads home ~60 miles west of us got around category one force winds. Only had one tree down and a bunch of limbs to pick up over the weekend. Great cross training as well for anyone looking for something different lol. 5 acres of oak and pecan trees are real nice, until a storm comes along. The Lake Charles area was hit hard unfortunately. I did get the pleasure of unloading 2600lbs of bricks for my wood oven the night the storm was coming in. Also a great workout lol. Once I am done working late and early, which should be soon, I plan to start C25K with our pup Bella. Shes in better shape than me, so should be easy and probably boring for her lol. Hope everyone is doing well!

It’s not necessarily fun, but it’s definitely possible to be an afternoon and evening runner in the heat and humidity. The key is to slow down, especially while you’re getting acclimated to the higher temps and heat indices. This site outlines a commonly used formula for pace adjustment depending on how high the heat and humidity are:

https://www.wickedbonkproof.com/running-training-tips/-adjusting-pace-for-heat
Most of my weekday runs are between 5pm and 8pm in hot and humid NC. Acclimation can take some time and certainly doesn’t make everything better, but with acclimation and pace adjustment, afternoon and evening running are definitely possible.

Agree. I'm in GA and many days run after work (though I really want to move to mornings but I'm just not a morning person) and I often figure out sunset time then add long the run it and start then. Today I ran a little earlier and heat wasn't bad but humidity was.

Though Soon we'll be in the having to run in the dark with a headlamp mode if you want to run before or after work which has its own issues.

There are few times for ideal running during the week while working an 8-5 job. You just have to work around things as best you can and on weekend long runs can pick more ideal times.

I don't do monthly totals, but I'm always down for a chat about the infernal heat of southern summers lol!

I've been running outdoors here in West-Central FL summers for 20-some years. Until this summer, I've always done my mid-week runs after work because there just isn't enough time for me to get adequate sleep AND run before when I needed to drive to work in the morning. Average evening run weather here in summer is either no rain, full sun, 60-70% humidity and heat indices over 100*, or dangerous thunderstorms. But this summer I've been working from home, so I've done nearly all of my mid-week runs in the early mornings before sunrise, when it's around 80* and 100% humidity, but no sun. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Usually by mid-August, the cumulative heat stress has really hurt me, but this year I feel so good! I've long thought that for me, it's actually the heat of the sun that punishes, not the humidity, and I think this summer is proof of that. In real time, I can see it via HR on long runs: HR stays in the high 2/low 3 zones right up until the sun is high enough to hit me; once the sun is on me, it's a struggle and lots more walking than running to keep it out of 4. I am not looking forward to getting up before 4am to get in 12 miles this weekend, but I know it'll be worth it to avoid heat stress. And there's actually a hope of cooler weather as we get toward the end of Sept...

I don't do monthly totals, but I'm always down for a chat about the infernal heat of southern summers lol!

I've been running outdoors here in West-Central FL summers for 20-some years. Until this summer, I've always done my mid-week runs after work because there just isn't enough time for me to get adequate sleep AND run before when I needed to drive to work in the morning. Average evening run weather here in summer is either no rain, full sun, 60-70% humidity and heat indices over 100*, or dangerous thunderstorms. But this summer I've been working from home, so I've done nearly all of my mid-week runs in the early mornings before sunrise, when it's around 80* and 100% humidity, but no sun. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Usually by mid-August, the cumulative heat stress has really hurt me, but this year I feel so good! I've long thought that for me, it's actually the heat of the sun that punishes, not the humidity, and I think this summer is proof of that. In real time, I can see it via HR on long runs: HR stays in the high 2/low 3 zones right up until the sun is high enough to hit me; once the sun is on me, it's a struggle and lots more walking than running to keep it out of 4. I am not looking forward to getting up before 4am to get in 12 miles this weekend, but I know it'll be worth it to avoid heat stress. And there's actually a hope of cooler weather as we get toward the end of Sept...

You're a champion. I am seriously impressed :dogdance:

August Totals:
Miles: 104.19 miles
Time: 16:30:00
Avg Pace: 9:30

Personally, I'm enjoying the summer heat and sun while it lasts, not looking forward to return to cold temperatures. Then again, being in the Mid-Atlantic region, I don't deal with the same temperatures as those of you in the south!

QOTD: What is you best post-running celebration meal?

My family will complete our 2020km in 2020 on our next run. We are wondering what celebration dinner we could do.

ATTQOTD: Since this is also a Disney thread, I have to say that my biggest celebration dinner onsite was Storybooks at Artist Point after Dopey and saying hi to the DATW gang the next morning. A drink at the pool after the race is always a great one too.

With DD, going to a breakfast place after an early morning race is our usual celebration. We don’t plan to go to a restaurant this time plus, school started. We are contemplating doing a homemade High Tea with scones and cucumber sandwiches. It would be fun to hear your celebration ideas!

l started. We are contemplating doing a homemade High Tea with scones and cucumber sandwiches. It would be fun to hear your celebration ideas!

I'm one the weird ones who often doesn't have much of an appetite after a race. A good example of that and one of my more interesting stories is after I did my first (and only so far) 50k, there was a friend of mine who is blind and does obstacle course races that was having a birthday thing at a restuqnt. So after the 50k I went over to that and was about half an hour or so late (though I think I had a good excuse). Pretty much everybody was shocked I was there at all after the race and were very quick to help find me a place to sit and so forrth. Was a fun after race experience. And back to my first point, I ordered a big cheeseburger but only made it through about half of it. You think I'd scarf stuff down after a 50k but just didn't have the appetite.

At disney if I'm not going to the parks then I'll just go sit at Petal's and have a beer and for most local races to that's my go-to. Stop somewhere, sit, relax and have a beer and most of the time I'll do that before even going home. I'll come sit in with my bib and medal still on. Yeah I know I stink at that point but I also know if I go home and sit down I'm likely not going back out again (if it's a long race or an OCR)

ATTQOTD: Best post-run celebration meal was V&A the day after TOT or W&D - hands down the best meals of my life, and partaken at a time when I was ready to indulge.

After long runs, I don't have much appetite and it's hard to stuff calories in that I really need. At home, I gravitate toward veggie burgers and fries.

ATTQOTD:
I like a big juicy hamburger and fries after a long race. Boathouse has one that I really like!

@Krandor I have learned that I need to eat something immediately after I finish (post race food, something - probably more than just I tiny piece of something); otherwise, I will not have an appetite or get nauseous for a while. One time in particular, I remember going to get a hamburger, thinking this sounds soooo good, and then once I actually had it in hand, I realized ‘if I eat this, I will puke’. I had to wait a few hours before I felt like I could handle it.

ATTQOTD:

After my first marathon (2016 WDW) I went straight to Kona with my family for a late breakfast. I ordered the Big Kahuna (no longer available). It was a plate of a lot of different items. It looked amazing, but my family laughed at me because I left half of it. Most of my large post-race meals after that attempt have been later in the day because of that first experience and/or just not being really hungry. However, I've thoroughly enjoyed a leftover slice of Chicago Style pizza shortly after running Chicago but probably couldn't immediately eat much more than that. Having said that, my last 2 marathons I actually ate pretty big immediately afterwards. Fall 2019 was Indy and I couldn't stop thinking about getting a cheeseburger afterwards... I was able to have one really close to the finish line and it was amazing. In January of 2020, the Louisiana Marathon had free samples (big samples) that the runners got with little tear coupons from their bibs. The food available was from local restaurants/providers and ALL of it was amazing. It was really fun to finish a race and immediately be able to just go around a grab really good free food. So in summary, I guess i'd go with anything from the holy trinity of food... pizza, cheeseburger, cajun.

I favor an immediate small treat vs a mega celebration dinner. At Disney that generally means a chocolate shake from Beaches and Cream or Ghiradelli (or even Pop used to have a real ice cream shake). Non-Disney, I have enjoyed chocolate milk and PB/banana sandwich on toasted wheat bread, chocolate cupcake (after my two Bostons) or even an ice cold parking lot beer.

A sweet treat seems to be mostlywhat I crave.

Warning, a little lengthy.

August Training Summary

Total Miles: 300.24 (new PB)
Total Time: 47:41:35
Average Pace: 9:32/mi
Average HR: 136/min
3 “races” see below.

As I mentioned last month, like almost everyone, I had my Fall races canceled (Chicago Marathon and W&D). So a bunch of local runners decided to create our own fun. August is hot, humid, and without a goal or race to look forward to running… it can easily be demotivating.

We had 36 of us in our local running group decide to participate. The 3 captains drafted teams of 12 runners to compete. We had 3 weekly race "segments" (on Strava) that began the 2nd week of August, and each runner got points for participating and points based on their time on the segment and where they ranked. There was a 5k, 5 miler, and 10k. 72 to the fastest runner on down to 2 for the least fast. Our runners ranged anywhere between 19 years old and 55 years old. We had men and women. We had speedsters and others that just grinded out mileage. It was a nice mix and everyone got to know each other a little better. Not necessarily from in person contact, but also on GroupMe, etc.

You could run these anytime during that specific week that ended Sunday at Midnight. You could run solo, with others, or even try it multiple times. But your best attempt is what counted. We even had someone coming back from vacation that went straight from the airport and hit that first race segment at ~11:45pm on Sunday night… otherwise it would not have counted. In addition, the team with the most miles during the month got 100 points as a bonus.

This ended up being mostly fun. It gave an extra purpose to my August miles and it was fun being part of a team. There was some fun trash talk, but in reality everyone supported each other. There were a number of PRs for people, and it was nice to race even though I was never really toeing the line against others.

The very horrible part is that midway thru the month, a friend and “teammate” of mine woke up to a heart attack and died at the way too young age of 43. He was an avid runner, had competed in an ultra in mid-July and really was just taking it easy and running slow miles in August… nothing fast or pushing. In fact, he had just run a few easy miles the night before with several other friends and appeared very normal to the others. Apparently, he had an enlarged heart. But it just goes to show that runner healthy doesn’t make you invincible. He’s definitely missed. We considered ending the whole thing but decided that we’d keep it going. He loved running and loved this competition we were doing, so it felt like what he’d want. But it was an awful tragedy in the middle of an otherwise fun event among friends.

Conclusion: I thought we were the slowest of the 3 teams, but we ended up having the most points in each of the 3 races. In addition, we had the most miles. We’ll probably do this again at some point. I was hesitant at first because I didn’t really want to commit, but August ended up being a lot of fun except for the tragic loss of a fellow runner and friend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter