The Running Thread - 2020

I did not enjoy it, and cut every one of them short, and found myself needing to get off to get a drink of water every 2 miles because I needed to occupy different space. Does this get easier? I feel like I should be fine for 5+ miles here, but I really just need to get off and even just circle the treadmill 3 times before continuing.
I totally feel you here.

This is sort of the issue that I have with the treadmill. Somehow it seems harder than it should be (for the same pace and 0% incline), and so I find myself stepping off for a drink, etc. I don't know whether my form is bad on a treadmill, or it's a mental thing, or both, but I just can't seem to keep myself going on it continuously for more than a couple of miles, but outside I have no problem continuously running for much longer.

I watch interesting TV shows or movies and try to distract myself, but it really just doesn't work.

Saw this on the TV news Friday evening. Disappointing, but Hershey has done some things in the recent past that upset a lot of runners. I would've run it again, though.
Examples: cancel the 10k one spring after the 48h window for hotel room cancellations, yet 30 minutes before NOAA updated their forecast to greatly reduce the possibility of wintry weather. Then the half in 2016 (I think) flipping between 1/4 zip, to can't do that so now its shirts, to back to 1/4 zip, which turned out to be way too small.

I also learned that the Runner's World race weekend is also cancelled. Probably already mentioned here, but I'm behind.

I saw about both of them. I’m a bit bummed. I did Hershey last year and liked it. I was thinking about doing Runner’s World this year. Guess in a couple months I’ll take a look to see what other Half choices there are in October.

I've only found two things which can make running on a treadmill tolerable for me. One is something to watch. When training in Iraq, I load TV shows and movies onto my iPad and distract myself with entertainment. The second way to get me through a treadmill run is a busy workout. Whether I program it into Zwift or do it manually, having to change speed every 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc., helps the time pass without me getting bored out of my mind.
This is a legit coping strategy. I remind myself that if I was outside running, I would have the inevitable road crossings/traffic lights that provide natural slow down/stop moments. There have been times in previous marathon training sessions where I found myself needing to do 10+ miles on a TM. I just give myself permission to switch treadmills after 4-5 miles (obviously, at the gym, this is possible, at home, not so much!)

Also, I find that interval/tempo workouts are psychologically easier to do since they have pace/distance changes.

I won't say it will get easier, but hopefully, you will find way to make it work or you.
I totally feel you here.

This is sort of the issue that I have with the treadmill. Somehow it seems harder than it should be (for the same pace and 0% incline), and so I find myself stepping off for a drink, etc. I don't know whether my form is bad on a treadmill, or it's a mental thing, or both, but I just can't seem to keep myself going on it continuously for more than a couple of miles, but outside I have no problem continuously running for much longer.

I watch interesting TV shows or movies and try to distract myself, but it really just doesn't work.

Thanks, All.
I have tried watching something, and have learned drama and subtitles are bad. I also learned I can jump really high mid run if something scares me (like the jaguar going savage in Zootopia that nearly scared me into falling off the treadmill).

I have also tried to use it to run intervals, and keep reminding myself I it is helpful to have a consistent pace set for me. There is a touch screen on the TMs at work that allows me to just tap it and pick 6.0 as opposed to pressing up 2,794 times, and that takes away one irritation. I think it is possible to program this to oscillate in specific time chunks, so I am hopeful this will be helpful, though still not fun. The TMs at the Y or at hotels are definitely more annoying.

My best coping strategy so far is to remind myself I am lucky to I have access to several TMs, and they DO make it easier to maintain a set pace, and allow me to run when I am not going to go outside.

I had not considered form being different on the treadmill, but I can imagine it would be. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

I will jump in with a QOTD. With all the talk of the flu, it is a timely topic:

We have talked about how we adjust our runs based on weather (rain, snow, heat, humidity, etc), but how do you adjust your runs/training schedule based on sickness? Do you run through it (I know a lot of us runners do), do you wait until you are fully recovered or do you adjust your distance pace and if so how? (note: if @DopeyBadger has a calculation for this one, I will fall off my chair. lol).

ATTQOTD: I thought of this topic yesterday while out on an 11 mile run after being sick all weekend. I typically run right through any illness. Typically, I don’t have a problem with the actual run but I always seem to take a step back in my recovery when my body is trying to recover from both the run and how I am feeling.

I will usually run through it if possible, I had a pretty bad cold this past Thursday and did my usual 4 miles outside. I think it actually helped me even though it felt like I couldn’t catch my breath and I did 6 more on Saturday which felt great. If it’s the flu with a fever I’ll go slow on the treadmill for as long as I can, maybe even a few times in a day just to move around and then go back to bed.

ATTQOTD: I've always heard and followed the rule of thumb that if the illness is from the neck up, go ahead and run. If it's below the neck, skip it. I use the term "follow" very loosely here, as whether I skip the run really depends on the degree of chest congestion I'm experiencing. One notable exception, too, was running Dopey with bronchitis a couple of years ago because, well, it was Dopey and I was there anyway. My HR and perception of effort tells me pretty quickly what impact the illness is having on my run and I try to slow down proportionately. I will say that I have very rarely found running to make an illness worse. It's usually the opposite. Getting active usually loosens things up and makes me feel better overall, sometimes seeming to help burn the illness out of my system.

ATTQOTD: It depends on how sick I am. Fever, nope. Cough, nope. Runny nose, depends on how much I have to blow it. I will not try and "make up" distance; instead I will simply pick up where I should be once I'm healthy again.

February recap:
February miles: 69.89
2020 YTD: 145.12

With the exception of the last week of February the month went as I wanted it to. I am struggling to add distance to my walks 3-4 days a week without feeling like I'm walking in circles; it would be easier if I was willing to add really short dead end streets, but they are so annoying I skip them. The last 6 days of the month result in 0 miles due to wet weather, weather induced swelling of an old injury and then my managing to hurt the bottom of my left heel as a result of a dash through the grocery store.

I will jump in with a QOTD. With all the talk of the flu, it is a timely topic:

We have talked about how we adjust our runs based on weather (rain, snow, heat, humidity, etc), but how do you adjust your runs/training schedule based on sickness? Do you run through it (I know a lot of us runners do), do you wait until you are fully recovered or do you adjust your distance pace and if so how? (note: if @DopeyBadger has a calculation for this one, I will fall off my chair. lol).
Sleep trumps running when sick. If I am not exhausted or running a fever, motion helps. I will slow down or shorten a run if it feels bad, but I will probably do something anyhow. That said, I am pretty loosey-goosey as far as following a training plan, so a few more mods are fine.

ATTQOTD: It really depends what kind of sick I am. If my whole body aches then sleep is generally the winner. But if it's a runny nose, I try to still run. If I'm not sure I tell myself to give it a go for 5-10 minutes and if I have to stop then no harm done. I never try if I have a cough though, I feel like that messes with my breathing too much.

February came in at 173.6 miles AND a 2.5 min PR at Princess (1:42:50)! Started March off strong with a 20 miler yesterday, I'm running Shamrock at Virginia Beach in a couple weeks so I'm excited it's taper time.

ATTQOTD: I think it's all up to how you're feeling, and listening to your body. I ran last week with a stomach bug, but made sure to only do mileage and pace that felt comfortable. If it's cough or chest, fever, fatigue, puking, etc then no way. In my opinion, better safe than sorry. Pushing it could prolong illness, which prolongs time off from running.

ATTQOTD: It depends on what kind of sickness.

If it's a muscle achy/headache kind where all I want to do is lie in bed, then there's no way I'm going to be able to go for a run. I also highly doubt I would be able to run if I was having vomiting/diarrhoea.

If it's a mild cold and I'm otherwise still feeling OK, then I'll run through it (but I might cut short my run if it starts feeling too hard). Or sometimes just go for a walk instead.

:teacher:

You can stay seated. No calculation on this one. I'd just suggest keeping the same effort as originally planned for the same duration. So this likely means a slower pace and less miles. If things don't feel good during the activity, then just end it early.

The calculator that does come in to play is what happens when you're healthy again and ready to return to normal training. If it's less than 5 days, you're likely only to need a day or two of easy before resuming where you left off. Daniels calculation shows that little to no fitness is lost during 5 or less days. If the sickness prevents training normally for longer than 5 days, then I go with equal time off to return. So 7 days off equals 7 days of only easy before resuming training. You lose at a rate of about 0.3% per day after 5 days. A maximal loss is 20% at 72 days. After 72 days, you have essentially fully detrained.

February Totals
Miles: 54.25
Time: 10:29:38
Average Pace: 10:55
4 weeks of LIIFT4 (4 days/week, so 16 workouts)

I hate February - coming down off the Disney high, not sure what I'm racing next, etc., so I just float along.

My oldest DD has had strep two times this month, and they both got a stomach bug yesterday, so I might be infected soon and have an easy March as well.

I'm really enjoying LIIFT4 - definitely can see the change in my body, especially my upper body.

Hoping March brings some nice weather for more outside runs and motivation. Mostly motivation.

Edit: I just figured if I had run 3 miles instead of the LIIFT4 workouts, that would give me another 48 miles this month. That makes me feel better!

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I listen to my body and follow its lead when sick - if running or any other physical activity doesn't sound good, I don't do it. I have an autoimmune disorder and have had complications from the flu every time I had it, so I don't mess around with letting my body have as much rest as it needs to recover as quickly as possible, and I do all I can to keep it out of my dodgy lungs.

I totally feel you here.

I agree with FFiGawi's active treadmill runs. Changing the pace definitely helps keep me more engaged.

My biggest issue with the treadmill is that it mentally seems much tougher. When I am out I know that I have to get back to my car. Little changes in the terrain and surroundings engage my brain. On a treadmill, I always have this lurking thought that I can just push the stop button an go back to what I was doing. When there's pressure at work or with family stuff, it becomes really easy to end workouts prematurely.

February miles: 74.6

I started the month with a half marathon and ended it with a 5 mile trail race. In between I've just been trying to stay consistent running 4 days a week and trying to ramp up cross training with the elliptical, strength training, and yoga. This has been challenging with DH & I both being very busy at work, plus all three kids involved in spring sports. I'm currently using a mish-mash of old DopeyBadger plans, so we shall see how that works out for me for my two big spring races. :-)

how do you adjust your runs/training schedule based on sickness?

I generally don't for cold-type sickness. Flu might be a different story, but haven't had to deal with that. Yearly flu shots seem to be working.

If it's a cold, I think the best thing you can do is clean out your sinuses.

I'll spare you the details, but saline nasal rinse+guaifenesin+running in the cold=clean sinuses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter