The Running Thread - 2021

Happy New Years!

December totals:
Running - 149 miles
Avg pace - 10’05”/mile
Walking - 89.3
A new record, even with tapering the last week, I managed more miles with less walking miles on rest days.

Thrilled with 2021 totals, managed a steady increase month to month as I hit all my goals.
- PR in every distance
- 1460.6 miles with a goal of 1000
- did it injury free (though I did skip 4 short runs at times when I felt right on that fine line of an overuse injury)
- added in more walking/hiking on days off for a total run/walk mileage of 3045 miles.

For 2022 I will try to maintain and not push myself too hard. I would like to see 100+ miles/month and work toward a BQ, not sure what that will take but as long as I see progress and it seems doable, I will set a timeline for that goal. Also going to continue my run around the world with my fellow CRAW team members, we are nearly there and should complete our 30,000+ mile virtual trip around the globe in a few more months.

December 2021 Training Summary

Running duration = 28:15 hours
Running mileage = 194.5 miles
Average Pace = 8:43 min/mile (about 80 sec/mile slower than recent Marathon)
Average HR = 125 (20 bpm less than recent Marathon)
Strength Training = 2:41 hours
Total Training Time = 30:56 hours

G miles = 12.1 miles

Recovery from my November marathon went well. It was touch and go for a little bit on the extra bone growth in my shins, but since the pain was bilateral I was hopeful that it would dissipate with no treatment. It did. I'm actually surprised I ran 195 miles in December as I'm slowly rebuilding my fitness towards Princess 2022. Things are going well from a HRvPace perspective as I've essentially matched my second highest level of fitness already. But the muscular endurance isn't there yet. So the cardio says I'm capable of more, but my body is still recovering from the marathon.

G's training is going well. Her 12 miles this month was her most so far. The temps are getting lower, but she's tolerated down to 15 F well so far. Not sure we want to push much further past that, but we'll see as Jan/Feb training continues. I signed us up for two more 5ks in May/June. She's also been itching to get a running watch, so I bought her a Garmin 45s for her upcoming birthday.

2021 Training Summary

Running duration = 229:21 hours
Running mileage = 1613 miles
Average Pace = 8:32 min/mile (about 65 sec/mile slower than recent Marathon)
Average HR = 131 (14 bpm less than recent Marathon)
Indoor Cycling duration = 1616 miles
Indoor Cycling mileage = 95:40 hours
Strength Training = 30:00 hours
Total Training Time = 353:49 hours

G miles = 52 miles

2021 was a good year for running. After a 3 year experiment with run+cycle+strength, I've come back to six days per week of running. The run+cycle+strength despite a tremendous increase in the duration of time spent training did not yield satisfactory marathon results. I could be in good shape at other distances, but not the marathon. So mid-year I moved back to six days running, and I suffered no major setbacks. After almost a year of an injury to my ankle (Nov 2020 to Aug 2021) it FINALLY cleared up. I haven't had any major issues in the back half of 2021, so I'm hopeful that it's finally behind me. I ran a marathon in Nov 2021 that ended up as my second fastest (3:15) after setting my PR 3 years prior. The sad part is 2021 was the first year since I started running in 2012 that I did not set a PR at the mile, 5k, 10k, HM, or M distance. Based on how I felt at the tail end of M training in 2021, I think there's still a PR or two left in these legs. So looking forward to 2022.

The 1613 running miles this year marks my 4th highest total since starting. 2017, 2016, and 2015 (2582, 2500, and 1915) all rank higher. If I can continue to stay healthy, then I imagine 2022 to be in this general area as well.

G did so well this year. She ran a total of 52 miles and has really grown to love running. We're looking forward to the Princess 5k and many more races together after that.

December Totals:
Running-67.8 miles
Time-11 hours 12 min running
Avg pace: 9:55
Completed a cross training program and started a second.

2021 totals:
Running-465.8 miles
Time: 76 hours and 4 min.
Avg pace: 9:47
Multiple cross training program.

In 2021, I ran a half. 2022 I am signed up for the princess Half, a full, and hoping to do a triathlon as well!

December total:
Miles: 96.98 (sadly had no time to squeeze in one more run before the year ended to make it an even 100)
Avg pace: 7:33

2021 total:
Miles: 1,632.05
Avg pace: 8:46

Ran one marathon for fun. No big plans, perhaps another for fun marathon in 2022. Right now I'm just trying slowly to get my speed back.

Dec miles- 84. Lower than hoped for after missing a week with Covid.

2021 miles- 760. Highest total since 2009! I’m really proud of that. It’s been a great running year and has done wonders for my mental health.

2022 goals- stay consistent with training, get faster, add strength training to my routine.

December Training Summary
Running Miles: 167.7
Running Time: 25:02:59
Average Pace: 8:58/mi
Average HR: 134/min

2021 Training Summary
Running Miles: 1,870
Running Time: 285:27:12
Average Pace: 9:10/mi
Average HR: 133/min

Walking Miles: 113
Cycling Miles: 19 (clearly not a focus in 2021)

December 2021 miles: 113.64 and a new mileage high for the year.

2021 Total Miles: 689 miles. Second highest yearly mileage ever and a nice improvement over both 2019 and 2020 which came in at 480 miles in 2019 and 413.5 miles in 2020.

Overall, a successful year. Running always falls off for me when there's not a race on the horizon and that's an area that I would like to improve for 2022. But signing up for marathon weekend helped provide the get out there and do something motivation that probably helps me manage the never ending work stress that the pandemic has brought and I'm not in the medical field, so I acknowledge that my stress is nowhere near as bad as others.

December Totals
Miles: 149.1
Time: 25 hours
Average HR: 144
Average Pace: 10:13

I hit my goal of running 2,021 km in 2021! And I did it by the skin of my teeth, running 6 miles on December 31 to log 1,256.1 miles for the year!

January: 50.6
February: 62.2
March: 90.0
April: 77.5
May: 90.9
June: 114.9
July: 136.0
August: 166.9
September: 141.0
October: 67.9
November: 109.0
December: 149.1

2022 Goals:
1. Run a marathon (Disney planned for Sunday!)
2. Run less (i.e. strength train more, read more books, etc.)

A bit late to recap 2021, but I am going to do it anyhow!

First, thank you all for continuing to post. It is lovely to see others do well and to struggle, but a space to read notes that remain positive and helpful is good for my soul.

My stretch goal for 2021 was 600 miles and to knock some time off of my pace. Neither of these happened. The achievable goal of exceeding exceed 500 miles was met, so better slightly than 2020. I was on track until November, but the dark, cold pessimism of winter set in earlier than usual. I did not get any slower despite being older so I am calling it a draw! Other than when I or DH were traveling, I was consistent with running at least 3x a week, though not the distances I thought I would last January.
In not trackable running accomplishments, I tried to get the kiddos to run with me, but they couldn't seem to run with me and each other without fighting so when DH was out of town we ended up jumping rope in different parts of our driveway separated by "do not cross" chalk lines. This failed when it got icy, there is no treadmill equivalent for jump rope that I am aware of! I did get one to run with me consistently and the other I could bribe to go half a mile (#willrunformickeybars). I ran one race all year, and confirmed I am fine running an organized race but also just fine slogging along on my own for 6-8 miles. After 5 I seem to get bored and have thought of all the other things I could be spending my time on so I just stop.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter