The Running Thread - 2021

Many continued to run in the Epcot parking lot post-finish to get to 26.2.
I could see myself doing that while my family watches in disbelief. They wouldn't understand that if I ran 25 miles that I would not to run the whole damn distance. I, for one, would want to see it through to it's proper end.

Speaking of all of the hot, sweaty, chafe-inducing heat that we are hoping to AVOID.....heat acclimation training is coming. And while I could ask in the MW thread, I'll ask here since this is something that can pop up for ALL of the race weekends for us northerners.

How sweaty are we supposed to get? I don't have the clothes to do this outside in our current temps (or the extra funds to buy the clothes right now), so I'm going to continue my treadmill slog-to-the-finish. As sweaty as possible? FWIW, when I did my 12mi last night I wasn't anywhere near "dripping sweat"....my basement is somewhere between 60 and 65 I think?
Usually, when I start running in Winter, I feel cold at the beginning and ok after a while. When acclimating to heat, I make sure that I feel comfortable almost hot when I start and do not take off layers after.

Usually, when I start running in Winter, I feel cold at the beginning and ok after a while. When acclimating to heat, I make sure that I feel comfortable almost hot when I start and do not take off layers after.
this is a great reference, thank you! building up my winter wardrobe will have to be a goal for 2022.

Things can change if a front comes through right before the races, but at the moment this looks to be a warm race. 61 at race start and up to 80 in the afternoon. Good for me and a total non-factor for the first three races, but I know not to the liking of many on these forums, especially after sunrise on Sunday.

When they cut the race short, was it mandatory that the runners had to stop or were they given the choice whether or not to continue running? It sucked and I would have greatly preferred temperatures in the 70s, but I personally would be fine as long as I hydrate appropriately.
They didn't stop the race - the course was shortened by taking out the BB section. I was one of the ones who got diverted. It did suck, and I was not happy... but when I saw so many runners down on the sides of the road on Osceola, I knew the right decision had been made. I was okay, having trained all summer in FL heat, but it was not pleasant or pretty at all.
I wonder how many anal people (myself included) would continue running just to get those 26.2 miles in. :rotfl2:
Oh, I did! Circled the lane in which my car was parked until I hit 26.2.

They didn't stop the race - the course was shortened by taking out the BB section. I was one of the ones who got diverted. It did suck, and I was not happy... but when I saw so many runners down on the sides of the road on Osceola, I knew the right decision had been made. I was okay, having trained all summer in FL heat, but it was not pleasant or pretty at all.

Oh, I did! Circled the lane in which my car was parked until I hit 26.2.
I would probably have been like you...if I'm going to run 25 miles, then I want to have the chance to run the entire 26.2 and say that I ran a full marathon!

I got the forerunner 245 for Christmas! Any tips/tricks on using it? I am overwhelmed lol

My best tip is to go in and set up your HR ranges manually. The factory-set ranges on the watches tend to be wildly skewed. I wondered why 90% of my run times were in HR zone 4 and 5 until I figured out that the ranges needed to be reset. Also, if you run intervals, you can set the Run/Walk “Alerts” to run continuously from the start of your run. Its a lot easier than setting up interval workouts on the watch, assuming you don’t need custom warm-up/cool-down periods to be included.

My best tip is to go in and set up your HR ranges manually. The factory-set ranges on the watches tend to be wildly skewed. I wondered why 90% of my run times were in HR zone 4 and 5 until I figured out that the ranges needed to be reset. Also, if you run intervals, you can set the Run/Walk “Alerts” to run continuously from the start of your run. Its a lot easier than setting up interval workouts on the watch, assuming you don’t need custom warm-up/cool-down periods to be included.

I took a look at my zones and it's set up to be the following:
Zone 1: 95 / 50%
Zone 2: 113 / 60%
Zone 3: 132 / 70%
Zone 4: 151 / 80%
Zone 5: 170 / 90%
Max: 189 / 100%

Now is this something I should personalize to my own health & fitness and how do I determine those numbers?

I took a look at my zones and it's set up to be the following:
Zone 1: 95 / 50%
Zone 2: 113 / 60%
Zone 3: 132 / 70%
Zone 4: 151 / 80%
Zone 5: 170 / 90%
Max: 189 / 100%

Now is this something I should personalize to my own health & fitness and how do I determine those numbers?

It’s definitely something that should be reset to your own HR profile. You’ll need your resting HR and your max HR. For max HR, you can look at a max effort 5k or similar or, worst case, use the rule of thumb (but probably inaccurate) estimate of max HR = 224-age. Once you have those two values, you can calculate the lower value of each range as follows:

Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) = Max HR - Resting HR

Zone 1 = Resting HR + (0.5 x HRR)
Zone 2 = Resting HR + (0.6 x HRR)
Zone 3 = Resting HR + (0.7 x HRR)
Zone 4 = Resting HR + (0.8 x HRR)
Zone 5 = Resting HR + (0.9 x HRR)

Hope this helps!

I got the forerunner 245 for Christmas! Any tips/tricks on using it? I am overwhelmed lol

I'd start by reading this. It is for the music so you might not have all the features but DCR is the go to for sports tech.

Then I'd read here and here to see some of the features added to the watch post-launch.

You will want custom heart rate setting but I'd start by entering your max, resting, and changing the method to % of Heart Rate Reserve (%HRR). That will get you a starting point.

Question about heat acclimation and electrolytes/hydration leading into MW (but this would also pertain to PW and SS for us northerners)

Being hydrated is important leading into these races (obviously) but is it important to also be getting additional/purposely taking in electrolytes in the days leading up to the races? Or are those more of a "during/after" kind of thing? I know the weather forecast isn't worth a lot at this point, but it's looking kinda warm for Sunday and I want to make sure I know how to best prep my body (and buy more nuun if needed) for a super-sweat-fest.

Being hydrated is important leading into these races (obviously) but is it important to also be getting additional/purposely taking in electrolytes in the days leading up to the races?
Floridian here, who’s used to running through the long, hot summers: YES. In hot weather, it’s important to be taking in fluids and electrolytes before, during, and after long, hot runs! I don’t bother for a 5K or 10K, but will make some of my daily water Nuun instead the day before a hot half or full.

Last run in the books 2021. Hit 1000 miles again this year. Got Covid last week so I am missing a few miles. from running in the last week and 40 or so biking.

1015 miles running and 3680 biking;

And yes 4 miles swimming. With 2 sprint triathlons on back to back weekends, I swam for like 6 weeks, just enough to remember how to swim.

2022 will be less miles, and thinking more racing. Short stuff

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter