The Running Thread - 2021

Since @ckb_nc started it, I'll keep it going......

2021 ends on a bad note, as I am on the IL. Good news is that it is not a stress fracture, or sciatica/Lumbar issue. Bad news is various strained muscles which will heal in their own good time. My mileage total stalled at 1143--which is still better than last year, but it's frustrating to end the year with the "injury du jour (ou de la semaine ou de l'annee.... @flav you can correct the accent-less erroneous franglais ;) ) Odds of me running next Sunday.....1 in 20. (Am I a fool for even thinking about it?)

2022 goal: Not inclined to make one. Staying injury-free, I suppose. But despite my best efforts at strengthening/stretching/etc, it's not always something I can control. I am seriously re-considering doing NY Marathon in November. Need to give it some more thought.

ETA: Maybe this should go in Running 2022.

December running:
Total miles: 89.4
Average Pace: 11:35 per mi

2021 total: 1202.3 mi
I missed my goal of running 2021km in 2021, which would have been about 1255.8 mi (rounding). But it's ok because I got pretty close, and hit so many other running goals this year.
My only 2022 goals are to try to keep my running mojo up. After my marathon in November I have just lost all motivation. I guess it's a good thing I signed up for MW and Princess Weekend, all the money I spent on registration will force me to keep up my training minimally at least. Hoping to get my energy up to try to set and meet some goals in the 5k-half marathon range in the new year. I think I'm done with the marathon distance. I say that now at least. Overall 2021 was a great running year for me.

2021 Miles: 391.12
All things considered, not too bad. I think the last time my yearly mileage was this low was probably the year I started running. But this year was so rough and I think I used that to help me find a better relationship with running.

Maybe I'll try to hit 400 next year and set that as a new running maintenance goal. That seems like enough to keep me active without putting too much emphasis on running.

December 2021 totals
Distance: 173km (107mi)
Average pace: 6m46s/km (10:55/mi)
YTD: 2233km on 2021km… Challenge exceeded 🥳
LIIFT 4 workouts: Not much

Trying to stay positive. This Runner’s World Bingo helped a bit this morning:
2021 Runner's World Bingo Card | 2021 Running Goals

There is a lot to celebrate in 2021, my family didn’t get sick, we ran almost 5000km combined, DD had an amazing race season, I did well on my in-person marathon and ran a record volume, by far.

December was a bit of a let down so tonight my mood is not particularly festive. It was my slowest month, my shoulders started hurting so I stopped cross-training, I had to canceled a Nth trip and we are now back on harsh restrictions (curfew at 10PM, no gathering whatsoever). So from my peaceful and very quiet home to yours, I wish us all a 2022 full of happy excitements!

Since @ckb_nc started it, I'll keep it going......

2021 ends on a bad note, as I am on the IL. Good news is that it is not a stress fracture, or sciatica/Lumbar issue. Bad news is various strained muscles which will heal in their own good time. My mileage total stalled at 1143--which is still better than last year, but it's frustrating to end the year with the "injury du jour (ou de la semaine ou de l'annee.... @flav you can correct the accent-less erroneous franglais ;) ) Odds of me running next Sunday.....1 in 20. (Am I a fool for even thinking about it?)

2022 goal: Not inclined to make one. Staying injury-free, I suppose. But despite my best efforts at strengthening/stretching/etc, it's not always something I can control. I am seriously re-considering doing NY Marathon in November. Need to give it some more thought.

ETA: Maybe this should go in Running 2022.
1143 miles? I think I see the problem. You're running too much. This is what I keep saying to all you people in such good shape: quit training so much! Quit running so fast! You being so healthy and fit is what is leading to problems. Jus' saying....

(Seriously, sorry to hear about the injury. And good luck in the NYC if you do it). And if you are a Seinfeld fan:

I'm here for you guys. Mostly to make you feel better about your mileages...

Dec Totals:

Total Miles - 40.01 mi
Total Time - 6:48:33 h:m:s
Average Pace - 10:15
Avg HR - Didn't track this
Walking/running - thousands of steps

2021 miles - Appx 500. I didn't start tracking my miles until Aug 1st, and I have about 204 since then.

Happy New Year, everyone.

And got a little artsy and made these magnets for the car for the road trip down to Florida next week.

December Miles = 139

Finishing up 2021 with 1,622 miles. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year. Looking forward to toeing the Dopey starting line next week. I did all but one of my training runs so I am ready. Just hoping the races happen and I am healthy enough to run them.

January = 154
February = 111
March = 141
April = 127
May = 143
June = 132
July = 137
August = 124
September = 120
October = 151
November = 143

2021 total miles = 1,622

2020 total miles = 1,777
2019 total miles = 1,656
2018 total miles = 1,673

Last edited:
December 2021

Run/Walk

Time: 9h 27m 59s
Miles: 41.33

Walking
Time: 4h 16m 44s
Miles: 12.89

Cycling
Time: 1h 19m 10s
Miles: 20.92

Cross Training
Time: 4h 50m 8s
Calories: 1947

2021 Totals

Run/Walk

Time: 50h 45m 59s
Miles: 210.03

Walking
Time: 52h 45m 42s
Miles: 140.98

Cycling
Time: 41h 34m 9s
Miles: 627.42

Cross Training
Time: 85h 45m 43s
Calories: 36033

Y’all make me ashamed of my total mileage but this is the most I have ever consistently trained for a race (and ran/walked/hiked in a year) so even though it is not great it is better. And that’s something, right? :)

That is GREAT. Never be ashamed of getting out there and getting ANYTHING done.

My 2021 miles since y’all made me feel better:
Hike: 65 miles
Run: 213.2 miles
Walk: 107.6 miles
Bike: 141.2 miles
I also read 77 books! Happy New Year!

I am seriously impressed with the book total.....unless of course they're kids' picture books :) I did read War and Peace this year...that has to count for at least 3 books!

December 2021
Miles: 5.4 😭

Miles: 1049.26
Hours: 174:34:34
Average Pace: 9:59

Not too shabby! Didn’t meet all my goals and the last two months I’ve been sidelined with surgery and a crummy inflamed IT band. However, I got a little faster, RAN IN CHICAGO and my personal life is getting back in order which means I’ll be hitting the weights on a regular basis again. I have been thinking about joining a barre class to get me out of the house more 🤔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter