The Running Thread - 2021

Running in extreme weather (hot or cold) requires caution. Not everyone is created equally. We all have strengths and weaknesses. What works for one might not work at all for someone else. For me, training in the extreme heat in the middle of a hot day is counterproductive. Even after fully acclimatizing I cannot get in enough quality volume to maintain my fitness, much less improve it. But I have friends who improve their fitness most in the summer months.

Ok so I have a race-day clothing-layer bib/chip question.

The forecast says 37 for early Sunday morning. It MIGHT be 40 at around race-time. I am a person who is always cold, so I WILL be starting the race in long sleeves.

My bib is supposed to be on my “outermost layer” when cross the starting mat.

My original plan was to wear a light-weight full-zip shirt over my t and vest, and just not have it zipped up for the start. I don’t think that layer will be warm enough for me. All of my coldgear tops are 1/2 or 1/4 zip.

I do not want to have to unpin/repin my bib.

Do I just start in the tshirt and carry the long-sleeve until I get out of the starting area and then put it on? Fold the bottom part long sleeve up over my chest so it’s not covering the bib for the start?

Do I just start in the tshirt and carry the long-sleeve until I get out of the starting area and then put it on? Fold the bottom part long sleeve up over my chest so it’s not covering the bib for the start?

I would personally not want to futz around with trying to put on clothing after I started racing, and certainly not want to mess around with a bib, so I would wear what you think you need for the race and just push up whatever is covering the bib to start. Not that it should matter for timing, but that way the chip is clear and they see you are a registered runner.

Ok so I have a race-day clothing-layer bib/chip question.

The forecast says 37 for early Sunday morning. It MIGHT be 40 at around race-time. I am a person who is always cold, so I WILL be starting the race in long sleeves.

My bib is supposed to be on my “outermost layer” when cross the starting mat.

My original plan was to wear a light-weight full-zip shirt over my t and vest, and just not have it zipped up for the start. I don’t think that layer will be warm enough for me. All of my coldgear tops are 1/2 or 1/4 zip.

I do not want to have to unpin/repin my bib.

Have you considered pinning the bib to your shorts, if you wear them? I’m always cold, as well, and this very problem led me to start pinning my bib to my shorts so I would have freedom to customize my above the waist layers.

May 2021 totals
Distance: 270km (168mi)
Average pace: 6m402s/km (10:45/mi)
YTD: 1034km on 2021km
Immediate family members who got their first vaccine shot 4/4, what a relief

Wow, this is the third month in a row that I beat my biggest monthly running volume! I like the structure that a training plan gives me and it definitely makes me run more than if I had organized it myself.

One of the highlights of the month was the Hat Trick (5k+10k+21k) Virtual Challenge. I will write a report once I complete it.

The other is that I hit half of my 2021k yearly goal on the day the curfew was lifted and that terrace opened. How appropriate: It really felt like that first dark half of the year is over. May is a definite turning point around here, and it comes with the hope of real races, eventually, maybe.

Nutrition taste test

Huma Mangoes: Authentic mango taste but too acidic and the chia texture made me think that they had grinded the mango pit in it

Huma Cafe Moka: Reminds me of something we used to put on toast when kids: Grenache Caramel au chocolat. Unfortunately, much later, there was a clashing chia aftertaste.

Gu Cola Me Happy: And it did. It was fun. Not as good as the Tailwind Cola though.

Gu Tastefully Nude: Tastes like sugar, pleasant.

Gu Salted Watermelon: So yummy! If you like watermelon gum, that is it!

Gu Hoppy Trails: The first Gu that I truly dislike. It is reminiscent of mosquito 🦟 repellent . Some people who like herbal tastes might like it. Fortunately, it is the only flavour (hop) removed from the trial package this year.

Gu Gingerade: I like ginger-ale, ginger candies and ginger with my meals… Not so sure if I do like ginger during a race, except maybe if one feels motion sickness after riding a rollercoaster 🎢

Maurten Gel 100 Caf 100: Like a mineral water jello, absolutely no taste except a slight metallic feel. I was so surprised by the texture that I spat the first bite. Is it normal? I bought a bunch of them so I hope to get used to it.

Last edited:
May Training Summary
Running Miles: 227.4 miles
Running Time: 33:52:41
Average Pace: 8:56/mi
Average HR: 133/min

And I ran my first in-person race in over a year and a half... the Chicagoland Spring Half Marathon. Since I was put on the wait list when I tried to register a month or two ago, I wasn't notified until four days before the race that I had a spot. Unfortunately, my start time was 11:22am since I got in last minute. It was not perfect running weather (75-80° and 70% humidity), but at least it was overcast for the entire race. Given that I hadn't been training for a race, I was happy with my 1:45:28 official time.

May running:
Distance: 73.5 miles
Average pace: 11:25/mi

It sure didn't feel like I ran < 100 miles this month, but I guess with tapering down for my Mother's Day race and then tapering back up after that, I ran less than I thought. Still a good month and I was happy with my race.

May totals

Running 115.9
Avg pace 10’17”/mile
Walking/hiking 132.8

A solid month, well above my usual 85-90 and on my way to 130 miles/month as I get ready for an early October marathon. Going to ramp up a bit and see what my bones think about running 5 days/week for the next few months

May Miles = 143

My first race of 2021 is planned for June 5. I did four live races in 2020 post pandemic but this is my first since the end of October. I am still dealing with multiple leg issues which I made worse by pulling a quad muscle trying to run down an outfield fly playing softball last week. So now I am nursing a left calf, left hamstring and right quad ahead of this weekend's half marathon. I am planning to give everything a go and run hard but if I pull up at some point in the race, I am just hoping to be able to finish.

January = 145
February = 111
March = 141
April = 127

2021 total miles = 667

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter