The Running Thread -- 2022

Credit to run.minnie.miles as all I changed from the 2021 thread was the year.

Welcome to the 2022 Edition of the Running Thread!

We talk all things running (and some things not!).. and of course, we throw in some Disney too.

ALL runners are welcome to share, read, chat and encourage. We are a supportive community and welcome all to join! The group ranges from brand new runners to Boston Qualifiers & ultra-marathoners; there is a virtual seat for everyone- don't be shy to jump in!

We will post periodic "Questions of the Day" (QOTD) and encourage everyone to participate. Please also feel free to share upcoming races and post-race reports.

Without further ado.... let's get this thread running!

Let's do this!

It's been a while since I've been on the disboards... like a really long time. Hope everyone is doing well and I am happy to see the running thread up and running again!

You know that moment when you decided enough is enough of something.... well I'm there! I am starting from nothing and many extra pounds. Today I planned out on my old excel sheet that doesnt have a logged run on it since May of 2019. Going to go back to the basic with couch to 5k. Got to get a few things figured out but the first run/walk is planned for 2/1/2022. Wish me luck! I hope to stop by more often to share my stories.

It's been a while since I've been on the disboards... like a really long time. Hope everyone is doing well and I am happy to see the running thread up and running again!

You know that moment when you decided enough is enough of something.... well I'm there! I am starting from nothing and many extra pounds. Today I planned out on my old excel sheet that doesnt have a logged run on it since May of 2019. Going to go back to the basic with couch to 5k. Got to get a few things figured out but the first run/walk is planned for 2/1/2022. Wish me luck! I hope to stop by more often to share my stories.
:welcome:

Good luck since you’d like some!
It will be a pleasure to encourage you in your running journey. You did it for so many of us, thank you :grouphug:

And, did I mentioned…:welcome:

I'm still using the 935, but am going to need something with more battery life to get through my March race. There's not an ideal solution for me out there right now, as I'd really like to keep my costs down. Each of the current leading options has some drawbacks:

945 - Almost 3 years old. Would prefer something a bit more up to date.

945 LTE - More expensive than the 945, if newer, but hate spending $$$ on the LTE tech I have absolutely no use for.

Fenix 6 series - much heavier than the 945 with its metal case

Right now I'm leaning towards the 945.
I have had a 945 for appx 6 months now and really like it. I nearly always have my phone with me when I run, but now I have the option of listening on my aftershocks to tunes either on the phone or on the watch. And when the tunes are playing off the watch, they do not get interrupted by spam calls.
as for battery life, I would say I get at least a week out of a charge.

I have had a 945 for appx 6 months now and really like it. I nearly always have my phone with me when I run, but now I have the option of listening on my aftershocks to tunes either on the phone or on the watch. And when the tunes are playing off the watch, they do not get interrupted by spam calls.
as for battery life, I would say I get at least a week out of a charge.

Thanks. I run without my phone currently and use an Apple Watch with cellular for all my audiobook/music and safety connectivity. I'm not really worried about the general usage battery life of the watch, though, my current 935 has more than enough capacity under those conditions. It's the battery life during continuous GPS usage and activity tracking that is of concern. My March race has a time limit of 32 hours and the 935 will only last ~24. I don't see myself finishing sub-24. Garmin claims 36 hours for the 945 under GPS only conditions, which is why it's been the leading candidate thus far.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 945 is that I'm hesitant to replace a 5 year old watch with 3 year old technology that's still at full price. Now @GreatLakes has gone and put the idea of one of those fancy, newfangled Fenix 7s in my head for just a bit more than the 945. Decisions, decisions.

Welcome back! Good to see you here again. :)

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 945 is that I'm hesitant to replace a 5 year old watch with 3 year old technology that's still at full price. Now @GreatLakes has gone and put the idea of one of those fancy, newfangled Fenix 7s in my head for just a bit more than the 945. Decisions, decisions.

Ray Maker of DCRainmaker says the Epix is the one to choose over the Fenix 7.

Ray Maker of DCRainmaker says the Epix is the one to choose over the Fenix 7.

Yeah, I've read his evals and comparisons of the two. The Epix does have enough battery for my needs and that beautiful AMOLED screen, but the extra $200-300 over the price of the Fenix 7 is a big pill to swallow!

Welcome back! Good to see you on threads!

Thanks. I run without my phone currently and use an Apple Watch with cellular for all my audiobook/music and safety connectivity. I'm not really worried about the general usage battery life of the watch, though, my current 935 has more than enough capacity under those conditions. It's the battery life during continuous GPS usage and activity tracking that is of concern. My March race has a time limit of 32 hours and the 935 will only last ~24. I don't see myself finishing sub-24. Garmin claims 36 hours for the 945 under GPS only conditions, which is why it's been the leading candidate thus far.

<fingers in ears> Nah-nah-nah. Must not look at any new watches…

My March race has a time limit of 32 hours and the 935 will only last ~24.
Do you have an older model lying around? It's not ideal but the first thought that popped into my head was to use two watches. Use the first one to track the first portion and then switch for the later stages.

If you're trying to justify buying a new watch though, go for it!

I have had to totally reset at C25k after being unable to run for extended periods of time a few times in my life. You can do it - just be patient and build slowly.

Welcome back, and the best of luck on your return to running.

I probably wouldn't buy a 945 right now. Although it's a great watch, it's approaching 3 years old (as you stated), the battery is fine but not great, and you'll still pay the full price. If battery is what you need, the Fenix 7 seems like the clear winner.

So, here is what I would do. For now...nothing.

The same leaks that tricked out about the Fenix 7 and EPIX are trickling out about the 955 now. There is less information but so far it is apparent that the 955 will be LTE, either entirely or with an LTE option. Before dropping that kind of money I'd wait to see what is announced for the 955 and then take a look at the Fenix, Epix, 945LTE, and 955LTE to see which one gives you what you need. If nothing else the introduction of a 955 should lower the price of the 945 or flood the market with used 945s being replaced by one of the three new watches. Whichever I buy will free up a 945 (non LTE) in need of a good home and I won't be the only one in that boat.

The Fenix will have better battery life than the EPIX so the one use case that it makes more sense, outside of cost savings, is for those longer events. Lastly, if the tracking without a phone is the top priority take a look at pairing inReach with Gramin for even more tracking options than using an LTE enabled device. It may be overkill but it doesn't hurt to look at it as an option when deciding between alternatives.

I probably wouldn't buy a 945 right now. Although it's a great watch, it's approaching 3 years old (as you stated), the battery is fine but not great, and you'll still pay the full price. If battery is what you need, the Fenix 7 seems like the clear winner.

This is definitely where I'm leaning right now. I just hope it comes into stock on the Garmin site soon. I get a 20% discount through work, but have to buy direct to get it. Time, unfortunately, is a factor here.

So, here is what I would do. For now...nothing.

The same leaks that tricked out about the Fenix 7 and EPIX are trickling out about the 955 now. There is less information but so far it is apparent that the 955 will be LTE, either entirely or with an LTE option. Before dropping that kind of money I'd wait to see what is announced for the 955 and then take a look at the Fenix, Epix, 945LTE, and 955LTE to see which one gives you what you need. If nothing else the introduction of a 955 should lower the price of the 945 or flood the market with used 945s being replaced by one of the three new watches. Whichever I buy will free up a 945 (non LTE) in need of a good home and I won't be the only one in that boat.

The Fenix will have better battery life than the EPIX so the one use case that it makes more sense, outside of cost savings, is for those longer events. Lastly, if the tracking without a phone is the top priority take a look at pairing inReach with Gramin for even more tracking options than using an LTE enabled device. It may be overkill but it doesn't hurt to look at it as an option when deciding between alternatives.

I've been watching for the 955 since last summer. Unfortunately, my race is at the end of March, so I need to make a decision here probably within the next month so I can get some time in with the new watch before race day. Tracking without a phone isn't an issue for me, as I generally run with a cellular Apple Watch on my off wrist for safety. I'll have to part with that for a portion of the race to recharge it, but I'm ok with that.

Do you have an older model lying around? It's not ideal but the first thought that popped into my head was to use two watches. Use the first one to track the first portion and then switch for the later stages.

If you're trying to justify buying a new watch though, go for it!

I've actually done similar on training runs where my Garmin didn't make it through because I was an idiot and forgot to charge it. Call me finicky if you will, though, if I'm going to run 100 miles, I want it all on one gps file and map for posterity, not spread out across multiple activities!

I've actually done similar on training runs where my Garmin didn't make it through because I was an idiot and forgot to charge it. Call me finicky if you will, though, if I'm going to run 100 miles, I want it all on one gps file and map for posterity, not spread out across multiple activities!

Well, there is always the charging puck and battery pack option. You'll lose heart rate for a bit if you are not using a separate strap but you can plug up to a power bank and keep on going with GPS.

This is definitely where I'm leaning right now. I just hope it comes into stock on the Garmin site soon. I get a 20% discount through work, but have to buy direct to get it. Time, unfortunately, is a factor here.

I've been watching for the 955 since last summer. Unfortunately, my race is at the end of March, so I need to make a decision here probably within the next month so I can get some time in with the new watch before race day. Tracking without a phone isn't an issue for me, as I generally run with a cellular Apple Watch on my off wrist for safety. I'll have to part with that for a portion of the race to recharge it, but I'm ok with that.

A comment on the AMOLED screen of the Epix. I have the Venu, which was Garmin's first AMOLED screen. I got it for Christmas 2019. I really love the AMOLED screen. However, after some time, I can see that it has burn-in. I have visited the Garmin Venu forum to see that others have this issue. It's not been a huge issue for me, personally, but if you're planning to keep the watch for many years, you'll have to think about that.

I have my Venu set to come on when I "gesture", that is, look at my wrist. So it's not on most of the time. Even so, my normal data-rich watch face has burned in so that it affects the appearance of the running data screens a bit. The biggest effect is on an app that I use to track my tennis because for some reason it wants to have small black text on a white background - the white is not as even in appearance as it used to be.

I imagine that I'll be upgrading to a new AMOLED Garmin in the next couple years. I considered the Venu 2s, but may wait for the next generation. I looked at the Epix, but it's way too expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter