The Running Thread -- 2022

I'm recovering from a nasty stomach bug (I'll spare you the details, but let's say I didn't sleep at all on Wednesday night and took Thursday off of work). Still haven't eaten anything more than a handful of saltines.

I have 19 miles this weekend - I've already committed to doing it on Sunday instead of Saturday so I can recover another day and hopefully eat a real meal the night before. Any other tips for running after a bug like that? I'm planning on bringing my pace down to a 12:00 instead of the mid 11's that I've been running lately. I'll fuel and hydrate like normal.

Be careful. You are not going to have much energy. Be ready to slow down much more than you've planned and possibly bail out of the run early. You don't want want to push it too far now and set yourself back longer than if you'd rested up or cut this run back.

I think paying attention to your hydration and electrolytes in the days before will help, as being sick can dehydrate you. Feel better soon!!!
I ran the 2013 Disney Marathon after a stomach bug. I got sick on Thursday and ran the marathon on Sunday. I made sure to eat some protein and carbs the night before, took the marathon really easy, and drank a crapton of water (it was also incredibly hot thar year).

I would be prepared for exhaustion. I started the marathon 2 minutes slower than my normal pace (10mm) and finished 5 minutes per mile slower overall. It was around 15 minutes per mile. There was a ton of walking in the later miles.

Hydrate and try to replenish your body but call it quits early if you feel bad. The thing is, I was sick with a cold for probably 2-3 weeks after the marathon because I had basically pushed my body to the limit. Don't destroy your running for the next few weeks by trying to do all 19 on Sunday.

Thanks @camaker & @lookingforsunshine & @steph0808 (did these tags work?)

I just managed a bowl of ravioli. Assuming I survive the night again (I slept great last night) then I'll spend Saturday hydrating and electrolyt-ing and I'll have a couple of carb/protein-heavy meals. I'll aim for an easy 12:00 and be ready to slow it down even more or have someone come pick me up along my route if I feel like I'm going to crash.

Thanks @camaker & @lookingforsunshine & @steph0808 (did these tags work?)

I just managed a bowl of ravioli. Assuming I survive the night again (I slept great last night) then I'll spend Saturday hydrating and electrolyt-ing and I'll have a couple of carb/protein-heavy meals. I'll aim for an easy 12:00 and be ready to slow it down even more or have someone come pick me up along my route if I feel like I'm going to crash.

I hope you're feeling much better! Echoing what everyone else said, hydrate, replenish electrolytes, and take it slow! One thing I'm reminded of, when I was younger there was always someone telling me "Just wait until you're older." But they never told me what I was waiting for, y'know? Generally, it's situations like this that I figure it out real fast - I don't recover from sickness/injury/etc now that I'm in my 30s the way that I used to when I was in my teens and 20s.

19 miles is a lot of running for anyone even on a good day. @DopeyBadger likes to say that any single day in your training plan is a very small fraction of the entirety of your plan, so don't stress too much over any one or two specific days. And I think that advice fits perfectly here. If you feel like you can do it, great! But in your shoes, I might figure out how long 19 miles might take me on a good/normal training day running at my usual pace, take that total running time, and try not to exceed it this weekend. You mentioned you'd normally run this at a mid-11s pace, so just assuming 11:30 here to make it simple, at 19 miles that's about 3h30min total. I'd probably start a fair bit slower than that, maybe even 13:00 or a little slower, for the first couple miles, and speed up a bit if I'm feeling good. But I'd probably cut it off at 3h30min regardless of how much distance I've covered.

I'm a pretty conservative runner these days though, so your mileage may vary (literally!). Best of luck!

Sort of a mini-race report, this morning I checked out a local 5k, the Anacostia Parkrun. Parkrun is a series of free weekly events set up by volunteers, and we're lucky enough to live very close to one. I've always wanted to try it, but I was deep in my Princess training, then recovering from injury, so the timing never worked out. But this morning I woke up to 60F with sub-40F dew points, quite nice for racing in April. T+D at race start was 101, which is a little higher than I prefer but it was overcast and windy. That helped keep things comfortable.

I ran an easy pace from home to the starting line and mixed in a couple of strides, but I had to run faster than I planned because I left home too late. Whoops!

I haven't done any speed work since I trained for Princess and I've focused entirely on short and easy running as I healed, so I really had no idea what to expect. I decided to use my 5k pace from my Princess training, which was 8:09/mile, and see how far I could go. 26 people participated today, a small field but seems pretty average for this particular race. I definitely started too fast and had to slow down once I cleared the starting line, but I felt pretty good throughout my first mile and was happy when my watch buzzed 8:05 for mile 1. Not too far off pace.

The course is an out-and-back across the Anacostia River Trail. The first half was pretty uneventful overall as I focused on not burning myself out. I didn't realize I was running with a tailwind until the 1st place runner passed me on her way back to the finish and breathlessly warned me about the wind. And she was right - when I turned around at the halfway point, it took my breath away in a way I wasn't expecting. I allowed myself to slow down to about 8:20 while I got my bearings. At that point, I noticed I was catching up to people ahead of me, so I focused on passing runners one by one. And in doing that... my watch buzzed again for mile 2, 8:06 pace. Still pretty quick!

Early in the second mile, I passed one final runner. The fatigue really caught up to me at the 2.5 mile marker. There was no way I was catching the runner ahead of me - too much distance to close - but after glancing behind me, I couldn't see anyone anywhere near me. I slowed down to about 9:15/mile and cruised until I spotted the finish line. I thought about trying for sub-25:00 if I had anything left in the tank, but mile 3 buzzed at 8:32 / 24:43 total, and I knew sub-25 wasn't happening today. I crossed the finish line at 25:29, good enough for 4th place. The winner crossed in 23:09. It looks like today's field was a bit slower than average, as there are usually 1 or 2 sub 20 runners each week, and my time would have placed me around 8th-10th most weeks. But I'm not complaining.

After the race, I slowly jogged the 1.75 miles back home, the perfect cool-down distance and time.

Turns out, racing is fun! I didn't know what I would have today. I knew I had lost fitness thanks to my injury, but I didn't know how much. 8:14/mile average pace is not too far off from the 8:09 I trained with, so I think it went pretty well all things considered. I'm also choosing to believe my carb loading from downing a pizza for dinner last night and chasing it with a frozen banana daiquiri gave me the push I needed.

So I currently work part-time and have been offered a full-time position in my same company. I'm debating taking it as I have three small(ish) children and I don't necessarily NEED to work full-time right now. One of my big concerns, though I realize it's kind of silly, is how this would impact my ability to train especially for longer races. So I want to hear how you make it work if you have a full-time job and kids. When do you fit it in? How hard is it in winter if you live someplace with not a lot of light? How many days a week to you train if you're doing a half? Thanks!
Not quite the same, but we were small business owners (we closed last month 👍). We owned a horse training, lesson and boarding facility and I part time homeschooled an autistic child (he’s graduating this year 🎉). At one point I had 15 horses. These were show horses which required way more care than your average barn. I am also gone 1-2 weekends a month to horse shows and this won’t be changing for the foreseeable future. It was super early runs for me or the treadmill squeezed in during the day and tons of hotel treadmill miles. I failed a lot at getting my runs done in the beginning, but eventually I developed a routine. Kids can help with chores no matter their age 👍 My kids have been doing their own laundry once they turned 10 and cleaning their own bathrooms and vacuuming their bedrooms since they were 5 & 7.

Ok, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'll try anyway.

I'm a relatively new runner, having only been running since the beginning of 2021. I've been working my way up to longer distances having run the WDW 10K in January and some other 10K's recently. My problem in the last few months is that I think that I've got a bunion on my right foot on the big toe joint. I've never had one before and I think that it's getting worse, so my questions are....

1. How can I treat it to make it go away?
2. Other than just pain, does it do any damage to run on it or should I treat it and rest for awhile?
3. Once I get rid of it, how can I prevent it?

I'm using the same brand of shoes that I've been since Jan 2021 (New Balance FreshFoam 1080 v.10). I've got 3 pairs that I've been rotating. Thanks for any help!

You should probably see a podiatrist. I had to have surgery on both feet in 2002 because every other option to ease the pain wasn’t working. From what I remember you can’t get rid of them other than surgery since it’s a bony growth on the joint. You can just do therapy and other treatments to help with the pain.

Hi! I don't know where the heck I've been - either I never saw this thread in January (which seems highly unlikely), or I accidentally unsubscribed at some point, because it's been absent for a while... and life's been so busy, I didn't notice until the other day!

I have a gift card for Amazon and I need some new (warmer!) gloves for running next winter. For those of you in colder climates, what gloves do you prefer? I can never seem to find gloves that will keep my hands warm.

I live in Pennsylvania, so we get our fair share of cold days.

I have a gift card for Amazon and I need some new (warmer!) gloves for running next winter. For those of you in colder climates, what gloves do you prefer? I can never seem to find gloves that will keep my hands warm.

I have pairs of both Nike and Adidas running gloves and they are OK down to 15-20 which is not all that helpful many days in Chicago. I hear good things about SmartWool gloves. I have and love a lot of SmartWool stuff, but not gloves (yet).

I've found mittens or even lobster gloves work best even down into single digits. I have Saucony and Brooks ones that are great regardless of the temperature.

I hear good things about SmartWool gloves. I have and love a lot of SmartWool stuff, but not gloves (yet).

I have Smartwool gloves and LOVE them. Highly recommend!
I had the same issue (Chicago) and could never find warm enough gloves. I strongly suggest Smart Wool mittens. Out of the box, I really didn’t think they were going to work, but they are the only thing I wear now if it’s below 30°F.

Here is a link to the pair I ordered (Smartwool Cozy Mitten Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMRTPR4), although they now appear unavailable on Amazon.

Gloves - the pair I normally wear are a cheap brand that I picked up at Ross. They are fleece-type gloves with a little windbreaker mitten part that you can fold over or remove. I recently got a pair of Brooks gloves that were on sale that are similar to my cheap pair, but they are not as good.

If it is super cold with strong winds, I usually wear my snowboarding mittens. They are usually too warm, and I end up taking them off occasionally during the run to let my hands cool down.

I’m in MN, and I bought 2 pairs of C9 flip top mittens and they’re amazing. I wore them in all temps, including subzero, and my fingers never got cold.

Amazon Link

Update to everyone who gave me advice about long running post stomach bug.

I ended up slowing down about 2 minutes per mile and made it to mile 12. More details in my journal (linked in my signature).

Glad you took it easy and bailed out when your body told you! That will help ensure you get back to normal as quickly as possible when pushing it might have set you back far more than you would've gained by finishing the run.

Thanks! I'm keeping that thought/reminder at the front of my brain. I did cry a little but that's because I cry at a good gust of wind and because it was the culmination of lots of feelings.

I'm running a 25K trail race in Traverse City on Saturday (April 23). I know there are some Michiganders here - anyone near that area and interested in getting together for lunch or dinner on Saturday? I'm solo on this trip...if the weather is good, I'll walk around TC some on Saturday, but probably will spend most of my time grading student projects.

Work has been busy lately, so if you may be available, please send me a DM so that I get a notification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter