The Running Thread -- 2022

Has anyone here ever done a running tour of a city?

I'm in Amsterdam for 2 weeks and thought I might try my long run tomorrow by hiring a running guide. But I'm a bit nervous about pace/fitness level.
That sounds like such a good way to do a long run in a place you don’t know! Especially in such an interesting city. I wouldn’t worry about your fitness, though I totally understand your nervousness. I’m sure the running guides are well practiced in adjusting to the paces of the people they take out. If you do it, I would love to hear about how it goes!

Missed connections rundisney edition:
Doing the Central Park loop this morning in my 2016MW Donald Half shirt and spotted someone wearing the same shirt going in the opposite direction. Didn't register until well past, but if that was you, hi! 👋

I'm in Amsterdam for 2 weeks and thought I might try my long run tomorrow by hiring a running guide. But I'm a bit nervous about pace/fitness level.

Never done an official tour, but I do look up the local Hash House Harriers club whenever I travel. Good way to meet local people and see the city from a unique point of view.

If you do this, I'd love to hear how it went! I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a few days around the first of May -- might be a good way to fight jet lag.

Race Report: Salt Lake City 5K
Temp at start: 44F (38 windchill) and light rain
Conditions went from light rain to graupel to HARD graupel to snow.

Why?
I got an email last week with a discount code for past runners and decided on a whim to sign up. This is a full event with multiple distances and disciplines: full marathon, half marathon, 10K run, 10K rollerblade, 10K bike, and a 5K run and the longer races are down from the mountain, so we draw a fair amount of runners who travel in to try for a BQ or POT.

Timing and field:
The shorter distances start from the finish line of all the races, with the 10K disciplines staggering their starts from 7:00 to 7:10, and the 5K at 7:15. All the participants in all those are kind of clumped together in what will be the finish chute, but the announcements are clear. It's just hard to estimate how many people are in each event. There were maybe 500 people total for all of those, which is definitely less than usual. I suspect the weather kept some folks in bed.

My prep:
I've never run a race in wet conditions, so did a little Googling and settled on full length leggings (not thermal), short sleeve wicking tee, a mid weight half zip nad a water resistant super light nylon hooded half zip. I wore my Tink 2017 challenge hat (with front brim) and brought Smartwool gloves and a fleece headband for my ears. I got up about 6:15, had some coffee, a hard boiled egg and applesauce packet. DH dropped me half a block from the start about 6:55 (I could have walked -- it's about 3/4 of a mile -- but with the weather it seemed like a good idea). I had time to set up my Shokz and hit the porta potty, then we were off!

The race:
My goal was to try and run the whole thing -- no walk intervals. I have just been doing maintenance runs 2 or 3 times a week since Dopey, including a "first timer 5K' series on iFit, so I used some of the mental and physical check-ins I'd learned. But mostly I listened to my tunes and just cruised. I started out at what felt comfortable, just getting in my groove, about an RPE of 6. The weather, though wet, felt great. I love running in cold temps and what I'd chosen to wear was perfect. My feet were wet, but I knew that would be the case. Aside from a bit of squish, no big deal.

The route is all city streets, wide and easy, and mostly flat for SLC. I was able to stick pretty close to the tangents.
Mile 1, 11:42. I was feeling steady and good. The water stop was about mile 2 but I had forgotten it was no-waste and I forgot to bring a bottle. Damn. I definitely could have used some water at that point, but the grauple was starting to turn to snow, so I just stuck out my tongue and caught flakes for the next few blocks. As the weather turned, people were actually laughing out loud at the ridiculous conditions. It was fun!
Mile 2: 11:54. Steady. Not regretting the decision to run continually rather than do intervals. I decided to turn it up to an RPE 7 and see if I could keep it up. I focused on people ahead of me to try and pick them off. It worked!
Mile 3: 11:15. Feeling good! I think I can do this and NOT stop to walk! We had turned the final corner at this point and about 3.5 blocks up (each one with a traffic light) was the finish. I counted down the lights, and once I hit the last one I gave everything I had left in me. The guy next to me decided to do the same, so we were actually racing to the line and crossed at the same time, then high-fived.
Final time: 35:54 and a PR by a full minute! I also ran the whole thing with no walk intervals!! :banana:

Medals, water and gatorade were right by the finish, but the rest of the food was quite a walk away from the finish line and completely outside the chute area. It was weird. BUT this race is sponsored by Kodiak Cakes so they had high protein pancakes. YUM! Also bananas, fruit cups, Cheetos, Creamies popsicles and granola bars. Race bibs get to ride the light rail and buses for free on race day, so I was going to grab a train home but my timing was off, so I just walked as my cool down.

By the time I got home I was definitely cold and my feet were soaked, but the rest of me was dry under my outer layers. I definitely chose wisely, though a dry pair of shoes and socks would have been nice had I taken a gear check bag (and not walked home).

tl;dr
I decided last week to run a local 5K after doing maintenance runs since Dopey. The weather was cold and wet, but it was decently organized and fun. I ran the whole thing -- no intervals -- and set a new PR!

slc5k.jpg

Race report: Western Pacific 10k (Brazen Racing, Fremont, CA)

I knew going in that this was going to be a mess. My training has been lacking, and the last time I ran more than a 5k was Princess Half 2020. I've walked 3 of my last 4 5ks. But, I figured I could take it and see just how bad it was, in hopes of spurring myself on to training better for Wine & Dine Half.

Answer: better than I'd hoped, actually.

The Western Pacific races (normally 5k/10k/half/full, but they couldn't do the full this year) take place at Quarry Lakes in Fremont, CA. This is a really nice route, one of my favorites that Brazen runs at. It's mostly flat but with just enough hills to make you wish it were flatter. (Elevation change 94'; distance is a bit over 6.2 miles due to restrictions on where they can put the turnaround point.) The race loops around the lakes, with the 10k and half adding an out-and-back on the Alameda Creek Regional Trail. Nice views, and solid-packed dirt/gravel trails.

What training runs I'd been getting had been in the mile to mile-and-a-half range, with paces around 14:00 to 14:30/mile. I didn't figure I'd be able to sustain that. My hope was a 1:40 completion, to stay under Disney minimum time; I didn't consider it super likely, and the real goal was under 2 hours.

This was my first time racing with the Aftershokz OpenMove headphones I picked up last year. They'd be a bit more comfortable if they were ever-so-slightly larger, but I started consistently training with them last month, and I've gotten used to them. They performed perfectly well for the race, letting me hear the course instructions and volunteers while also giving me music.

I've been having shoe issues - Saucony stopped making the ISO shoes, which were working well for me, and my Omni 20s are sometimes making my feet hurt a bit. I suspect the issue is that I should move up to a wide shoe in this style. I considered going back to my old-and-battered Guide ISO 2s, but Nothing New On Race Day convinced me not to. (I know, they aren't new, but I haven't used them in months.)

Weather was fantastic - low 50s and sunny. Gorgeous running weather, although perhaps a bit humid. There were a lot fewer people than at previous races (go figure) so I was able to get to the back of the starting area and not have a lot of traffic issues. My wife was also doing the 10k, and started a bit behind me. Her plan was to chug along at a more-or-less constant (if slow) speed. Mine was to do 2m run/1m walk intervals as long as I could, then switch to 2m walk/1m run as long as I could, then just walk the rest. I had a water bottle (and there were three water/snack stops) and two gels, with plans to take a gel at about 2 miles and about 4 miles.

As it happened, other than needing to walk any sort of uphill after about mile 4, I was able to run 2m/1m intervals the whole way. The shoes were fine during the run, although my right foot was kind of warning me after mile 4 that it would be unhappy later.

Splits:
Mile 1: 13:54
Mile 2: 15:08
Mile 3: 15:55
Mile 4: 15:20
Mile 5: 15:36
Mile 6: 15:43
Remaining 0.28 miles: 4:17, 15:17 pace.

Overall chip time, 1:35:49, an official pace of 15:24/mile. My wife came in slightly behind me at 1:38:23.

As I grabbed some water, my right foot informed me that, okay, now that the race was done, it wished to have Words with me about the shoes. I ended up limping back to the car, was extremely glad for adaptive cruise control driving home, and am planning to hit Road Runner Sports as soon as I can manage.

Overall: I'm pleased with the result. I suspect that better shoes will help with the training as well; in addition, in a couple weeks my oldest son (and running partner) gets back from college, so I'm hoping that having him along will help me run more consistently.

Nothing official like that but I try to do a run through any new city I visit and see some sights. I did a little run tour of Celebration this week and when I was in San Antonio I did a run tour that included the Alamo.

I use the Garmin heat maps and known sites but for Europe Kamoot might be better.

Missed connections rundisney edition:
Doing the Central Park loop this morning in my 2016MW Donald Half shirt and spotted someone wearing the same shirt going in the opposite direction. Didn't register until well past, but if that was you, hi! 👋

I've seen a bunch of runDisney shirts in Central Park. I always want to say something but I'm afraid it will be weird.

Has anyone used a Hal Higdon plan before? I'm looking at the novice half and marathon plans, and I like that they're four days of running per week (as opposed to the 5-6 that I'm seeing in some other plans).

I'm thinking of doing the Novice 2 plan to train for my half-marathon in September and then transitioning to the Novice 1 marathon plan for MW. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with these!

Has anyone used a Hal Higdon plan before? I'm looking at the novice half and marathon plans, and I like that they're four days of running per week (as opposed to the 5-6 that I'm seeing in some other plans).

I'm thinking of doing the Novice 2 plan to train for my half-marathon in September and then transitioning to the Novice 1 marathon plan for MW. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with these!

They're very solid plans. I used them before I got started getting custom plans from @DopeyBadger. I highly recommend them and would probably still be using them if I hadn't gotten the custom plans.

They're very solid plans. I used them before I got started getting custom plans from @DopeyBadger. I highly recommend them and would probably still be using them if I hadn't gotten the custom plans.

My experience as well. I've used Novice 1, 2 & 3 (which I recall is only 3 days running per week, but longer buildup (including 3 20 milers) and more cross training). Only one I wouldn't do again was the Novice 3 version as it just didn't work well for me, in part because I was not consistent enough on the cross training days I suspect.

I'm using Novice 2 half right now as an easy, sorta base building plan. It's fairly easy, IMO. I could probably do with longer Tuesday/Thursday runs, but I told myself I would do strength/yoga on those days as a supplement. Yeah....right. I specifically chose this plan after recovering from recent injury, so it is serving its purpose. I did not do the scheduled 5k, nor do I really plan to do the 10k.

I'm using Novice 2 half right now as an easy, sorta base building plan. It's fairly easy, IMO. I could probably do with longer Tuesday/Thursday runs, but I told myself I would do strength/yoga on those days as a supplement. Yeah....right. I specifically chose this plan after recovering from recent injury, so it is serving its purpose. I did not do the scheduled 5k, nor do I really plan to do the 10k.

Im doing that plan now too! Though I add a short run on Sundays, as then I have time to get out and run in places farther from home and a way to combat Sunday blues.

Yes, I used Novice 1 to train for my first marathon (WDW 2010).

I've seen a bunch of runDisney shirts in Central Park. I always want to say something but I'm afraid it will be weird.
Haha, guess I need to be more observant. Well, if you ever see a short Asian chick in a rD shirt on a Saturday in CP, would love to get to say hi (though on second thought, there's probably way more than one person who might fit that description). 😂

I've never done the marathon plans so I can't speak to them, but I did like the higdon half plans. Those are the plans that I recommend to anyone not sure where to start.

Race Report: Salt Lake City 5K
Temp at start: 44F (38 windchill) and light rain
Conditions went from light rain to graupel to HARD graupel to snow.

Why?
I got an email last week with a discount code for past runners and decided on a whim to sign up. This is a full event with multiple distances and disciplines: full marathon, half marathon, 10K run, 10K rollerblade, 10K bike, and a 5K run and the longer races are down from the mountain, so we draw a fair amount of runners who travel in to try for a BQ or POT.

Timing and field:
The shorter distances start from the finish line of all the races, with the 10K disciplines staggering their starts from 7:00 to 7:10, and the 5K at 7:15. All the participants in all those are kind of clumped together in what will be the finish chute, but the announcements are clear. It's just hard to estimate how many people are in each event. There were maybe 500 people total for all of those, which is definitely less than usual. I suspect the weather kept some folks in bed.

My prep:
I've never run a race in wet conditions, so did a little Googling and settled on full length leggings (not thermal), short sleeve wicking tee, a mid weight half zip nad a water resistant super light nylon hooded half zip. I wore my Tink 2017 challenge hat (with front brim) and brought Smartwool gloves and a fleece headband for my ears. I got up about 6:15, had some coffee, a hard boiled egg and applesauce packet. DH dropped me half a block from the start about 6:55 (I could have walked -- it's about 3/4 of a mile -- but with the weather it seemed like a good idea). I had time to set up my Shokz and hit the porta potty, then we were off!

The race:
My goal was to try and run the whole thing -- no walk intervals. I have just been doing maintenance runs 2 or 3 times a week since Dopey, including a "first timer 5K' series on iFit, so I used some of the mental and physical check-ins I'd learned. But mostly I listened to my tunes and just cruised. I started out at what felt comfortable, just getting in my groove, about an RPE of 6. The weather, though wet, felt great. I love running in cold temps and what I'd chosen to wear was perfect. My feet were wet, but I knew that would be the case. Aside from a bit of squish, no big deal.

The route is all city streets, wide and easy, and mostly flat for SLC. I was able to stick pretty close to the tangents.
Mile 1, 11:42. I was feeling steady and good. The water stop was about mile 2 but I had forgotten it was no-waste and I forgot to bring a bottle. Damn. I definitely could have used some water at that point, but the grauple was starting to turn to snow, so I just stuck out my tongue and caught flakes for the next few blocks. As the weather turned, people were actually laughing out loud at the ridiculous conditions. It was fun!
Mile 2: 11:54. Steady. Not regretting the decision to run continually rather than do intervals. I decided to turn it up to an RPE 7 and see if I could keep it up. I focused on people ahead of me to try and pick them off. It worked!
Mile 3: 11:15. Feeling good! I think I can do this and NOT stop to walk! We had turned the final corner at this point and about 3.5 blocks up (each one with a traffic light) was the finish. I counted down the lights, and once I hit the last one I gave everything I had left in me. The guy next to me decided to do the same, so we were actually racing to the line and crossed at the same time, then high-fived.
Final time: 35:54 and a PR by a full minute! I also ran the whole thing with no walk intervals!! :banana:

Medals, water and gatorade were right by the finish, but the rest of the food was quite a walk away from the finish line and completely outside the chute area. It was weird. BUT this race is sponsored by Kodiak Cakes so they had high protein pancakes. YUM! Also bananas, fruit cups, Cheetos, Creamies popsicles and granola bars. Race bibs get to ride the light rail and buses for free on race day, so I was going to grab a train home but my timing was off, so I just walked as my cool down.

By the time I got home I was definitely cold and my feet were soaked, but the rest of me was dry under my outer layers. I definitely chose wisely, though a dry pair of shoes and socks would have been nice had I taken a gear check bag (and not walked home).

tl;dr
I decided last week to run a local 5K after doing maintenance runs since Dopey. The weather was cold and wet, but it was decently organized and fun. I ran the whole thing -- no intervals -- and set a new PR!

View attachment 664408

Congratulations on the PR finish! It's fun when everyone racing can be lighthearted enough to laugh about the bad conditions. Great selfie at the end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter