The Sean incident on the show today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll be interested to hear a follow up, or any more anecdotal guest experiences there or at other places on property. From the sound of it, this isn’t an isolated incident at HDD. I guess that I’m at that tipping point with Disney right about now. I want to still love them, but for the high cost I expect exceptional customer service. I don’t want to hear about stories like this- so, I hope its the exception and not more common (but unspoken).

Well they did say it's happened before with this particular security CM.

Its sad that people are considering canceling a visit to HDD because of this incident. Not to diminish Sean's terrible experience, but really this was a very out of the ordinary occurrence. It has no bearing on the very enjoyable food and show itself. I would happily go to a HDD show and seriously doubt that I'd encounter anything like this.

As usual - I can see both sides of the issue for those saying they are either reconsidering a trip to FW, and especially HDD, and those saying they will still go. I think (and certainly HOPE!) this was an isolated incident. And certainly - to "hold it against:" ALL of FW is, I think, fairly extreme. As far as not going to HDD - I had a "meh: reaction the 1 and only time I've been, but I think to not go to the show at all because of this 1 incident, with this 1 person, is perhaps - PERHAPS - an overreaction, as well. I would hope all the not-involved performers, servers, kitchen people, and hopefully other security guards and management (and anyone else I'm not naming here) are hard working, CM;s, and don't deserve to be painted with a broad brush, or have their jobs perhaps put in jeopardy by this bad experience, with these lousy CM's. Don't forget - Sean's brother IS one of the other possibly affected, and yet not-involved CM's - so - for those saying they didn't like to hear his job threatened (and I AGREE! - it should NOT be!!!!) if everybody all a sudden stops going to FW, and especially HDD, because of this - his (and everyone else's) job might very well be in jeopardy, or staff might very well at least be reduced, if attendance of this VERY popular show drastically falls all of a sudden.

I don't know what the answer is here, but it seems to me (unless I'm totally wrong) that Sean was at least somewhat satisfied with the apology - despite how log it took, and how arduous it was to receive - and is ready to move on. Of course - if I find out I'm totally mistaken in thinking this, or this happens AGAIN, or his brother is all of a sudden terminated or reassigned against his will - all bets are off. And yes - I agree - it was brought up that one of the CM's said they had problems with this security guard before, but perhaps that was "Monday morning quarterbacking", or another clumsy attempt at trying to ameliorate the situation?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Its sad that people are considering canceling a visit to HDD because of this incident. Not to diminish Sean's terrible experience, but really this was a very out of the ordinary occurrence. It has no bearing on the very enjoyable food and show itself. I would happily go to a HDD show and seriously doubt that I'd encounter anything like this.
GMTA, Jeff. Please see my post that I JUST wrote, as you were posting yours.

usually the older/retired CM's are the best!
I’ve had a handful of CM experiences I know I’ll remember until the day I die. It’s amazing how to them I’m just another face of the thousands they’ll see that day, but to me they were a really special moment. I just think it’s easy to get caught up in all the negative stuff (and for sure this was bad) but it’s important to remember those who made magic too.

As usual - I can see both sides of the issue for those saying they are either reconsidering a trip to FW, and especially HDD, and those saying they will still go. I think (and certainly HOPE!) this was an isolated incident. And certainly - to "hold it against:" ALL of FW is, I think, fairly extreme. As far as not going to HDD - I had a "meh: reaction the 1 and only time I've been, but I think to not go to the show at all because of this 1 incident, with this 1 person, is perhaps - PERHAPS - an overreaction, as well. I think all the performers, servers, kitchen people, and hopefully other security guards and management (and anyone else I'm not naming here) are hard working, CM;s, and don't deserve to be painted with a broad brush, or have their jobs perhaps put in jeopardy by this bad experience. Don't forget - Sean's brother IS one of the other affected CM's - so - for those saying they didn't like to hear his job threatened (and I AGREE! - it should NOT be!!!!) if everybody all a sudden stops going to FW, and especially HDD, because of this - his (and everyone else's) job might very well be in jeopardy, or staff might very well at least be reduced, if attendance of this VERY popular show drastically falls all of a sudden.

I don't know what the answer is here, but it seems to me (unless I'm totally wrong) that Sean was at least satisfied with the apology - despite how log it took, and how arduous it was to receive - and is ready to move on. Of course - if I find out I'm totally mistaken in thinking this, or this happens AGAIN, or his brother is all of a sudden terminated or reassigned against his will - all bets are off.

Thoughts?
I think it’s a value judgement for every person to make. Was this the straw that broke your back? You probably shouldn’t go then (although I would urge you to tweet at Disney so they know why A boycott without telling anyone doesn’t really do much). Is this an unfortunate incident but you still want to experience the show? That’s great, if we all stopped doing things because one bad thing happened we wouldn’t be able to do much. But ultimately I’m a fan of voting with your dollars, and I think if incidents like this have happened before (which they said they have) then letting Disney know you find it unacceptable in whatever form you choose to do is the best way to get things to change.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet. Did they play any of the video that was taken of the incident, or was the incident just discussed and mentioned that there is supposedly is a video of it? I would be very curious to see the actual video.

First of all Sean, I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you, your mother and the other members of your party. It certainly takes the magic away really fast when something like this happens.

I was considering an early show at Hoop De Doo with my young grandchildren. I didn't get around to making the reservation so it's off the table as my trip is about to start. I'm almost glad that I didn't make that reservation. This is why the internet and social media should be scary for companies. It affects how people think about the product.

I find the fact that Sean's brother's employment was even mentioned was reprehensible. I took it that he was not part of the altercation.

We would all like to think that Disney is different, but the reality is that they are no better than the people they hire and the response they give when they screw up.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet. Did they play any of the video that was taken of the incident, or was the incident just discussed and mentioned that there is supposedly is a video of it? I would be very curious to see the actual video.
They just discussed it and said they wouldn’t be posting video or pictures (probably to avoid a conflict with the CMs who said they would sue)

Folks talking about canceling I think is unwarranted.

Sean is still actively selling Disney vacations as an agent. I have had only a couple of really, really bad customer service experiences but if unresolved, I have not returned to those establishments for years after. I also do not recommend them to others.
It’s clear that isn’t the case here.

Last edited:
I think how the incident devolved is terrible and clearly there were a few shockingly aggressive CMs involved, but am I the only person who kept thinking during this 30-minute-long saga that it could have all been easily avoided if Sean and his family just stepped outside when originally asked? It actually wouldn't have been that big of an issue. When they go low, you go high, right? There's benches, restrooms, and places to hang out in front of the venue. The Wi-Fi still works. Sure, it sucks to feel rushed, especially because HDD is an expensive experience and it was Christmas Eve, but Sean and his family would have endured far less agony if he'd simply bitten his tongue (and clenched his middle finger) then later reported the rude CM to the appropriate channels.

Last edited:

Starts around the 59 minute mark

Yep, there is a security guard at FW who is a real, real piece of work. They have no business representing WDW. Period. If this is the same person, I have NO DOUBT he 100% escalated it. I witnessed his appalling behavior toward another person and had to report him.

Anyone ever seen The Proposal with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds? The intimidating jerk US immigration agent? Yeah, it’s this guy on a serious power trip.

Last edited:
I think how the incident devolved is terrible and clearly there were a few shockingly aggressive CMs involved, but am I the only person who kept thinking during this 30-minute-long tale that it could have all been easily avoided if Sean and his family just stepped outside when originally asked? It actually wouldn't have been that big of an issue. When they go low, you go high, right? There's benches, restrooms, and places to hang out in front of the venue. The Wi-Fi still works. Sure, it sucks to feel rushed, especially because HDD is an expensive experience and it was Christmas Eve, but Sean and his family would have endured far less agony if he'd simply bitten his tongue (and clenched his middle finger) then later reported the rude CM to the appropriate channels.
In hindsight yes but I'd still put it about 99:1 on the side of the security guard. Sean and his family are paying guests and should be able to linger for a few minutes after the show without being shoved out the door.

I have actually worked a job quite similar to the security guards position where we had to move stragglers out after a concert and I have always found that a kind, 1 on 1 explanation worked better than being rude. I would bet that if the security guard had said "hey man, can you finish your text outside? The servers are in a hurry to get started cleaning so they can get home to their families" Sean would have obliged.

Yep, there is a security guard at FW who is a real, real piece of work. They have no business representing WDW. Period. If this is the same person, I have NO DOUBT he 100% escalated it. I witnessed his appalling behavior toward another person and had to report him.

Anyone ever seen The Proposal with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds? The intimidating jerk US immigration agent? Yeah, it’s this guy on a serious power trip.

I really appreciated Sean admitting to flipping the guy off. It wasn’t his best moment, but the fact he was willing to say he did that and take his share of the blame is what made me think the rest of the story was 100% accurate. I’ve been flipped off before and I’ve never chased after the person to yell at them about it, let alone make up a charge (taking the beer out of the restaurant) and escalate things. Sounds like this guy was on a major power trip for sure. I’m glad you reported what you saw, but it does make me uneasy that this is known behavior and they’re still not addressing it.

In hindsight yes but I'd still put it about 99:1 on the side of the security guard. Sean and his family are paying guests and should be able to linger for a few minutes after the show without being shoved out the door.

I have actually worked a job quite similar to the security guards position where we had to move stragglers out after a concert and I have always found that a kind, 1 on 1 explanation worked better than being rude. I would bet that if the security guard had said "hey man, can you finish your text outside? The servers are in a hurry to get started cleaning so they can get home to their families" Sean would have obliged.

I’m a manager for a location that is open until 6 on Christmas Eve and every year I have to hurry people out the door so my employees can get home. I find your tone works wonders, along with being pro-active about it. If I had been the security guard I probably would have done a first round of all the tables and said something along the lines of “did you guys enjoy the show? Good! Okay, everyone, make sure to finish those desserts, they look great and I don’t want anyone to miss a bite! We’re going to try to get everyone out of here in a few moments so the castmembers can go celebrate the holidays with their families.” Non-confrontational, but gets the point across. Of course every year there’s at least one customer I have to state in a no-none sense way “I’m sorry, sir/ma’am, but it’s 6 o’clock which is when we close on Christmas Eve. You’ll need to make your purchases now please” but I’m still not rude about it, just firm. I bet if that had happened to Sean there would have been no issue.

I just realized I didn’t mention this before, but I’m also fairly shocked no manager reviewed video tape footage of the incident. Surely there is some showing Sean did not leave with the beer, which would be a pretty open and shut case the security guard was lying. It would also show Sean flipping him off and the guard running after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter