TheSecondCook on vacation...

TheSecondCook

Now known as "TheFirstCook"
...Yup, I'm on a much needed and deserved vacation right now. It's really nice to actually have a day off where I'm neither at work or school; too bad it takes vacation time to do so. Anyhoo, I'll be back on Christmas Eve, so I'll see you all after that. It's a good thing I'm spending time with my family now, cause I won't get to on or around the holidays. Working for a theme park really sucks, you know.

I hope you enjoy your vacation. I am somewhat discouraged about your feelings about working at a theme park and your willingness to express that opinion with people that support your employment. You should consider whether or not you are working in a field you truly enjoy. If you are not, you are doing both yourself and your customers a disservice.

Have a great time off, SC, I'm just glad you'll be there when I'm there!

Earl, I think I do understand what he means. I work in the radio industry and it's 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I love working here but I HATE being called in at midnight or the days we have to work while the rest of the world takes off. It's the nature of the beast. I do understand that it's a commitment, though, but it took me years to commit.

I was at Mythos last Saturday and tried to look you up -- after an AWESOME risotto with rolled chicken! Chef Mark told me you were away.

How does it feel to be a celeb?

Earl-
I don't really know how to counter your post; I've tried typing a couple times only to delete the message. My mood about working in the theme park industry is up and down just like its business. One moment I'm proud to be in a company that's bigger than I am, providing outstanding experiences for thwe millions of guests that visit each year. Then reality kicks in and I realize that I'm underpaid, underappreciated and lost in this world.

I get easily discouraged working in an industry where I work as hard as I can, only to see others who I feel are less qualified move up the ladder, using me as the bottom rung. Did you know that despite being on a full academic scholarship and working in one of the finest restaraunts in the city, I qualify for food stamps!?!

I get easily discouraged when I spend more time with a group of people who don't realize my worth, who don't utilize my skills, than my own family and fiance. That keeps me from growing to my full potential, and that has me really down.

Perhaps you are in a higher position in our company where you don't deal with these feelings. You might not see the sacrafices I make constantly for Universal, only to see my aspirations quelched by people who look down upon me because of my age and occupation.

My feelings, though, have nothing to do with my work ethic or guest service. I work my best, providing the most for everyone who walks in those doors. Just like you, I come on this web site and talk with peopel around the world on my own time. I strive to make everyone in my life happy, and that is the reason I work where I work and do what I do. I want a career at Universal; I feel they can benefit from my continued presence. However, I know I have more to offer than cooking, but cannot get out of the rut. I grow weary of the bleak future I currently see.

To all of you on this board, I apologize for ranting and raving on this board. It is not appropriate to discuss this here, so I am sorry. But please note Earl: Just because I'm not as happy as the day I started at Wimpy's, that doesn't mean my commitment to my job is any less. I will continue giving my all to Universal until something better comes along.

SC,

My post wasn't intended to strike the wrong nerve. Let's just say that my position let's me deal with those feelings. This industry is unique in many ways. I have been in it for 20 years now. Let me say that maybe I can help. Drop me a private message as to when you on shift after Tuesday. I can either stop by or your welcome to come by my office. You go past on the way into IOA. Past that, I agree, this isn't the forum for further discussion on this.

Let me know when a good time for for you and we'll go from there.

Earl

SecondCook,
Preach on Brother!!! I spent 9 years working at "The happiest place on earth" and I know just how you feel.

Just hang in there. It sounds like you truly have a passion for what you do. And as long as you are able to remain happy in what you are doing. You have won. Don't let the job change/ruin your passion.

By the way my wife and I spent 2 day at Universal Orlando this past Sept. (1st time) and we truly enjoyed our dinner at Mythos. To be honest IOA and Mythos in particular was the highlight of our Honeymoon. So thank you for the wonderful meal.:D

Earl can you make S.J. stop shooting down food ideas from Chef Mark and Chef Sue.????? probably not but i sure had to ask!!!
some of the stuff i heard they were working on sounded absolutely great, only to hear that it did not get approved. Who ever approved the fall off the fork ribs must some extra pull. Compared to the rest of the menu it is a real bottom dweller :smooth:

Sorry MIB, that one's not normally in my sights. But you know how those guys that walk around in tall white hats can be. I think a few of then might carry their egos up their.

rcraine, 9 years sounds like you might have a least started out with a plan. So, I'm only curious, what changed your mind? I do well know how the Disney has changed the business in their parks. It's the very reason I departed my position several years ago. I don't fault the theme park business. I point the finger directly at them. I know how it used to be and how it is now.

The theme park business is unique. Most people want to compare it to other 24/7/365 businesses, but it's not the same. You can't simply run it as a business and treat your customers and employees as numbers and truly be successful. Unfortunately, that's exactly what some are doing. I'm not saying the following because I work there, or the position I have, but Universal is truly determined to pull ahead in this area. There are some new programs starting the first of the year that will truly change the way both guests and employees see the parks.

I don't think that there are many other businesses that are harder to get started in then this one if you plan on making a professional career out of it. Starting out is really tough. In most fields, you're in a pack with a bunch of folks at minumum wage that are there just for the paycheck and could care less about what they're doing and the effects on you. Many of them think that working at a park is the same as going to the park. It's amazing how many quit in the first few days. Pulling out of the pack is tough. Sometimes you can have the greatest skills, but the timing is terrible. Your shining light never gets seen. In my opinion, the best time to get on board is at the earliest stages of expansion, especially the construction of a new park. It always seems to present the best opportunites. Up front you need to look at the field your in. It's important to understand the opportunities, or lack off. If you want to be the position where there's only one, and there's a small army of folks between you, it can be tough. Some fields seem to have some natural progression calendar. It seems that no matter how good you may be, your expected to remain at a certain level for a certain amount of time.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with preaching, just to be sure you're preaching in the right place. You've got to be on the pulpit at work or it's all for not. Sorry for the long post. I have a tendency to get wound up about the subject.

Is it me, or has anyone noticed how Mythos gets so much more "coverage" on these boards than Emerils' does? That's a pretty neat accomplishment I think.
Hang in there SC! (Ya'll just might get your own TV show!!)
Jim

Earl,
Nine long years:D . Actually I didn't start out with a plan in 1991 it was just a summer job (no really it was). I worked my way up from selling balloons and churros. By year 3 I had decided that Disney was the place I was going to make a career out of. By year 6 I realized that my education was my most valuable resource, so I went back to school full time (while still working full time). By the time year 9 (and my degree) rolled around I had become increasingly discouraged and decided that since I wasn't happy it was time for me to move on. So I left the "Wonderful World of Disney" for an exciting career with a Canadian Telecom company. But now that I am gone I miss the Theme Park industry (Grass is always greener on the other side) and I long to get back to it.

You are right it is a unique business and should not be run like the average (24/7/365) business, unfortunately, it seems that at this point (at least here in So Cal) the people at the top do not seem to grasp that concept. (sorry I will get off my soap box now)

That being said, I just half to say that my visit to IOA last Sept. (1st visit to Universal Orlando) was incredible, everything from the Cast Members, to the themeing (sp?), to the attractions and the food were 1st class. In my opinion it is everything Disney used to be. To everyone involved with that park and resort, Keep up the great work!!!

rcraine,

Yes, this industry will do that to you. If you get in your blood, you're hooked. I'm glad you had a good time in September. I hope you can come back and see us. There's a change afoot at Universal. It only gets better .....

SecondCook, I agree with Earl, if you were on a message board badmouthing the company I work for, talking to a group of customers who love my companies products, I would definitely not appreciate it.

Negative comments from employees can do a lot to impact how customers will feel about a business. Especially a place like Universal where guests are supposed to go to feel good and enjoy themselves. Not view it as a place where employees are being mis-treated.

I remember this past summer I saw a sign posted inside the janitor closet in the MIB bathroom advertising a party that night at the Arcade by Kong for everyone who works in that area of the park. I asked the janitor about it and he was very excited about it because they got it for being the best area of the park that week... I thought wow if the janitor is this happy and excited about his job, working at Universal must be pretty cool. It seems like they know how to take care of their employees the same way they know how to take care of their guests.

If you don't feel you are being appreciated at Universal, you should put your money where your mouth is and quit. Then you have a legitimate reason to come on here and gripe about your mis-treatment. However, while you are receiving a paycheck from them, I find it inappropriate for you to come on here and talk about how bad you are being treated. Talk about it with a supervisor or someone in human resourses. Hell, write a letter to the President of Universal about how you are not being appreciated at Mythos. Anything besides publicly airing your grievances in a forum with hundreds of guests who are so interested in Universal that they actually spend their free time reading message board posts about the park! Heck, I'm such a sick devoted customer I spend time taking polls asking people if they prefer the left or right side on MIB! I'm the last person you want to give negative impressions about your company to.

In your defense, I can tell you that if it hadn't been for this message board, I would not have eaten at Mytho's at all. Now it is one of my favorite stops at Universal and another reason that keeps me coming back.

I look at your situation and you seem like anyone else who works their way up in life. My mother spent 10 years working minimum wage at the NYC Public Library, taking student loans to become a certified teacher! Now many years later she is a tenured elementary school librarian and is paid VERY well.

That's what America is all about. Unless you happen to know somebody, you have to work your way up. Sure it may not be pretty, ask my mom if it was pretty taking the subway from Queens to NYC everyday while she was pregnant and many days no one offered to give up their seat to her.

If you are unhappy that you are eligible for food stamps, you knew the wage when you signed up for the job. You are free to find another job that pays better. Isn't that what makes America so great?

-Jon

I thought that the Second Cook was referring to having to work on Christmas. I know about working on Christmas because tech support is open 24/7. I don't really like working the holiday, but I will if necessary. I have to bite the bullet and never let the caller know that I don't like working Christmas. The day wasn't too bad though. It was very slow and we were let out early!

Now I can say I bit the bullet. This year, so many people wanted to work the holidays that they didn't need to pick on me. I guess the holiday pay attracts people! :)

well 250 million in the bank is not a lot of incentive to work on Xmas or exist on a diet of pork brains and yogurt:D

Thank you, Barry. You and Robin understood my comments correctly. Though obviously I worded it incorrectly, I was merely mentioning my unhappiness in working both Chirstmas Eve and Chrismas, closing shifts both days. That makes it hard to see my family.

I am however, used to having to work holidays and weekends. It's the nature of the beast. I'm not like other peopel at Universal who call in all the time. I believe I've only called in twice since I've been there.

Jon- I've already posted that wasn't the best thing for me to say. Universal, as a whole, is very good to its employees. Much better than Disney as Earl (or my dad and brother) can atest to. I am just frustrated in my current situation, which doesn't mean I'm ready to quit or going to mope about. I will just continue to do what I've been doing- working my hardest until something better comes along, be it at Universal or elsewhere.

I give the people on this board a great deal of credit. You all are intelligent, kind and fun loving people. For those that I corespond to on a regular basis and those who've met personally, I think you are a great bunch of people. Please don't view a simple post about being on vacation as badmouthing ym company.

Even if Secondcook admits that he is not happy, it seems like he is. He comes to the boards on his own free will and tells us about specials and other Mythos news. I don't think a person who doesn't take pride in the job (at least a little) will come to this board on their own free will. I think the same goes for Earl, IOATech, and others who work at Universal. If you did not take pride in your jobs, you would not be here in the first place.

From the standpoint of an alien bounty hunter, it seems Earl has noticed enough of Secondcooks posts to know he is merely frustrated and not anti-Universal. I think it is great that Earl offered to meet with him to talk it over.

Secondcook all good things do not come in the first two months or years on a job and i think Earl sees a talent and loyalty in you that universal needs to hold onto, so if you meet with him, listen to what he has to say. I have been there and in hind sight the "earl" that meet with me was right. Youth has its advantages but some things can only come with age and experience.

Hang in there secondcook, those of us who come in often or in response to this board know it is Mark, Dave, Sue, you and the rest of the staff that prepare the food that will make us come back for more. :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter