They X-Rayed My Muffin!

Poly Pal

DIS Veteran
Just flew out of Denver yesterday. I had picked up a muffin and coffee before going through security. I put my breifcase, change, watch, etc. on the x-ray belt and the security guard said, " Your muffin needs to go through the scanner, too." I thought about making a joke about having heard of baking files into cakes sent to guys in jail, but after that lady got arrested for jokingly asking about if the pilots had passed a sobriety test on America West, I decided no jokes, even if the security folks were pleasant.

Muffin made it through o.k. sitting on top of the briefcase. They made me take a sip of my coffee. What sad, but sometimes funny times we live in!

Ok, I could see them x-raying your muffing (I know that sounds weird) in case something was in it, but what the heck did a woman get arrested for?????? Just because she asked a question? That is utterly ridiculous. Does anybody know where I can find the info on that?:rolleyes:

Dtuleya, two America West pilots were arrested for trying to fly their plane while under the influence. Several days (maybe a week) later a passenger on another America West flight boarded the plane and asked the flight attendant if the pilots had passed the sobriety test, or had been drinking... something to that affect. The passenger was taken off the flight and arrested for interfering with a flight crew, despite her protests that she was "only joking". I don't know if the charges were dropped or not.

I knew about the pilots being arrested, but come on interfering with a flight crew? She has a legitimate question since her safety is in the airline's hands. So much for freedom of speech. :rolleyes:

When my daughter, niece and her son were leaving in February from Boston to fly to FL to go on the Disney Cruise, they had just bought 2 cups of HOT coffee, and a juice for my nephew. Security said they had to either drink the coffee or throw it away before coming through the checkpoint... They let my nephew bring his juice because they could see through it.

BUT, theyhad just bought the HOT coffee only feet from the check in point ... you think they'd put signs up or the waitress would have told them, drink it before you go through security... it was 6:00 AM and they both needed their coffee pretty bad at that point!!!

At least Boston is learning!!! and hopefully September 11th will never happen here again. I can understand security's point, ---terrorists can put box cutters in the coffee cups and pretend to drink it...

Wow! I am actually a expert in DWI detection and I wanted to give the pilots a field sobriety test........

I knew about the pilots being arrested, but come on interfering with a flight crew? She has a legitimate question since her safety is in the airline's hands. So much for freedom of speech.
She most definitely had the right to ask the question, however, she could have caused much concern for other passengers who may have overheard her. Freedom of speach does not include upsetting other people, joking or not.

I hadn't heard about the America West incident. Thinking twice about joking around airport security is a good idea. They probably would've done more than x-ray your muffin.

I linked to this story once but thought I'd copy and paste it before it goes into the timesdispatch.com archives and I can't find it --
Airport: Joke no laughing matter

By Paige Akin
Times-Dispatch Staff Writer Jul 25, 2002

His joke bombed.

By allegedly referring to a bomb in his pants yesterday inside Richmond International Airport, a passenger earned himself a one-way ticket to police custody.

"They didn't search my crotch for bombs," the man, whose identity was not released, said to a friend after they passed through the checkpoint at Concourse A, according to airport officials.

Security personnel, on heightened alert since Sept. 11, overheard the alleged comment and followed the man, who was scheduled for a morning flight from Richmond to Miami, airport spokesman Troy Bell said.

The man began boarding US Airways Flight 1614 at about 8:30 a.m. but was removed moments later by airport police, Bell said. He had no weapons or bombs with him and was not charged by police.

"He sat down and next thing we know, an airport employee and a policeman came down and asked this guy to follow them off the plane," one passenger said. "They looked at his ticket and took his bag. He went quietly."

Three men who were with the man who allegedly made the bomb comment left the plane, too, because they did not want to fly to Miami without him, said Stephen Utley, another passenger.

"Once they found out they weren't letting their friend back on, they decided to get off, too," said Utley, who was on his way to Charlotte, N.C.

Both passengers who were interviewed said the men had been giving the flight crew "a hard time." The plane left Richmond about 10 minutes after the incident.

Joking about bombs on planes is not new since Sept. 11. Years ago, most U.S. airports posted signs forbidding references to bombs or weapons.

"We really don't have any sense of humor about this. It was a comment, it wasn't a threat. But it was just really bad timing for him," Bell said.

Bell said yesterday's incident was the first of its kind this year.

Even though the man yesterday did not issue a direct threat, under law he could be charged with making a bomb threat.

After being questioned by police, he and his friends from Flight 1614 caught another flight to Miami - this time by way of Philadelphia about three hours later.

"I think the guy will be a little more careful next time he goes through a checkpoint," Bell said. "The long and short of it was he got off pretty lucky."

GAIL -

I understand and agree with your statement, but that was my initial question, I wonder what the circumstances were. If she was making a scene I agree, but as the previous article shows, we have to watch everything we say because Big Brother is watching over us. The man in the previous article was overheard making a statement to his friend. The article does not imply he was grandstanding or making a scene. Believe me, I have no problems with very thorough security for airlines, but I stand by my initial comment. How far is too far? Let's face it, the comment the woman in question made had nothing to do about security and 9/11. It had to do with a very public news story where two pilots were indeed trying to report to duty while visibly intoxicated. I wonder how many taxis, buses, trains, airplanes, etc. we've been on where our safety has been compromised by the carelessness of others. My initial comment was just my opinion on it.

A good friend of ours flies constantly for business. Frequently he is picked up at the airport by business associates/contacts. He half kiddingly makes the joke that he's terrified that someone will walk up to him and say innocently, "Hi, Jack" and they will both be arrested for making threats.

I'm completely for thorough security and agree that making jokes about bombs and hijackings should be taken seriously. But the America West incident sounds like an airline that has gotten bad press taking themselves WAY to seriously and I can't imagine that charge would stand. That was in no way a threat to anyone's safety or security - and in lieu of recent incidents a very valid question!

dtuleya
I respect and appreciate your opinion and I do see your point.
I do, however, take exception with the comment about having to watch what we say because of Big Brother. There are just some things you don't say. Not because they are forbidden, but because they lack tack or are stupid.
In the case of this woman, we don't know the tone of her voice or how many people heard her comment. I do agree that we do have to wonder about our safety on any public mode of transportation, but, my read on this was she was making a very snide comment. One or two bad apples don't spoil the barrell if they are removed in time. Most of the pilots I know are very very honest and hardworking and would never compromise the safety of any of their pax. I would have been insulted to have my integrity questioned.
As to the buffoon who made that stupid comment. Well, you are not supposed to mention bombs or weapons even in jest. I don't find comments like that funny. I never have and probably never will. Think about it, in all honesty, what would you have done in that situation and you were a security person?
I believe we are all very sensative to everything right now and I do appreciate the security measures that are in place. What I do get upset about is the attitude of being put upon that some people have regarding the measures. (NO I was not referring to you. ;) )
Take care. :)

Gail -

I completely understand and respect your view and quite frankly I agree with alot of what you said. If it was me, I don't think I would have made either of the comments we are speaking of. I pride myself in thinking I have better judgement than that on such sensitive issues. I still worry though about the issues I mentioned before and at how far what we might say in an airport might be misconstrued at hostile. I agree with you that people need to accept the fact that crossing our country's borders and flying on commercial airlines will take longer than they did before 9/11. Unfortuntely, our country and our freedoms changed that horrible day due to the radical ideas of others. I will gladly have my muffin x-rayed, take a sip of my coffee, take off my shoes and let security guards search through my baggage and be respectful while its being done. The "bomb" statement, I feel, was not in the same category as the woman questioning the sobriety of the pilots though. I would love to know the circumstances and if she was rude, loud or causing a scene, I feel she should have been removed. If she was mentioning this to a fellow passenger and a flight attendant overheard her, that is when I have big concerns. That is what I would consider being extreme.

About the issue of pilots. I also know several very hard working ethical pilots. My father has driven a tractor/trailer for over 40 years. They each share some similarities. Long work days, shift work and safety issues are some of these. He is well rested, doesn't drink before driving and has an excellent safety record. I know that there are many others out there that don't follow the same work ethic as he does. I agree that most pilots are very concerned about the safety of their passengers, but I realize that the two pilots who were intoxicated probably aren't the first, last or only two that don't value their lives or the lives of their passengers.

I'm glad we were able to discuss/debate this subject in such a positive way. :)

Actually, the lady was on Today or Good Morning America (one of the morning shows).. and she explained she made the comment in jest, completely light hearted. She said to the Flight Attendant "Are they sober up there? laughlingly... she didn't say it rude or threatening, she thought she was "being funny". Appartently the Flight Attendant didn't think so, who knows how many other people had said it since the incident, and maybe she was tired of it.

Well, anyway, American West reps did call her and appologized to her and wanted to meet with her to appologize in person. But still, nowadays, you really have to be careful about what you say in the airport.... you never know who is listening or watching.... sometimes I abbreviate my daughters name to Jacq, so I have to be careful not to abbreviate it at the airport in case someone hears me!!!

I'm glad we were able to discuss/debate this subject in such a positive way.

Me too. :)

BTW, I will never AGAIN bring my 7" monopod on a flight.
They spotted it in the carryon for the computer/digital camera.
At first we thought it was the batteries that caused them concern, but, it was the monopod. Still wrapped in its original packing ( we have never even opened it). Well, they made Dee take off his shoes and ran the shoes and the monopod through the scanners again and did the wand thing on Dee. Dee thanked them for being so courteous and thorough and the security guard smiled and sent us on our merry way. I did feel bad about holding up the line, however. I hate it when it happens to us.

it is a tripod with one leg. Nikon makes it for their digital cameras. It is about 7" tall.

Gee, if I would have given it a thought, I should have been able to decipher the word. Thanks, must need more coffee!:D

I am VERY glad to hear that America West apologized. This just sounds like someone got a little carried away that day. Like you suggested - the flight attendant may have been sick of hearing it - but I'm sure there's lot's of things they're sick of hearing! You can't arrest someone for annoying the heck out of you - otherwise we'd probably ALL have records!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter